Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hunt for the basement tapes.

Go down 
+7
slippy123
Screamingophelia
Draw_It_White
radaddio
Lunkhead McGrath
QuestionMark
Flanders Darrel
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Flanders Darrel

Contribution Points : 56914
Forum Reputation : 25

Hunt for the basement tapes. Empty
PostSubject: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 2:32 am

Seen as I live in Littleton I feel like if anyone should be looking for the basement tapes it's me. Even though the government lied about them being destroyed, where do you think they would be. Perhaps the nearest FBI headquarters. Furthermore, does anyone know how the FBI organizes their evidence and what the basement tapes would most likely be ladled as.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120178
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 3:02 am

Flanders Darrel wrote:
Seen as I live in Littleton I feel like if anyone should be looking for the basement tapes it's me. Even though the government lied about them being destroyed, where do you think they would be. Perhaps the nearest FBI headquarters. Furthermore, does anyone know how the FBI organizes their evidence and what the basement tapes would most likely be ladled as.

You gonna break in to some police station dude?  Suspect

Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 75936
Forum Reputation : 225

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 5:59 am

Flanders Darrel wrote:

I hope that this isn't a joke and that you actually try it. The hilarity level of what will take place will make that "Breaking Bad" episode where they need to destroy Gus Fring's computer look like child's play by comparison.

I bet they're in a big box "ladled" (get a soup spoon!) "OJ Did It" or "TOP SECRET!!! DO NOT TOUCH!!!!" Just like how money is always stored in big white bags with dollar signs on them.

If you're going to break in, I suggest crossing an "evil clown" outfit with black trenchcoats. Also bring a TEC-9 with you. Pray it doesn't go off when you're crawling under the barbed wire fence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 1:14 pm

We will never ever see them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 7:19 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Flanders Darrel wrote:

You gonna break in to some police station dude?  Suspect

Haha
Back to top Go down
radaddio

Contribution Points : 83215
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Alright, assuming this isn't a troll, the best place to start would be around your town itself. JEFFCO Sheriff's dept was very bad about leaks early on in the aftermath and investigation. The law of probability dictates that if photos were leaked early on, then video must have been leaked as well. The question is; what format would that video be in, and who might be willing enough to leak it given the ramifications of what would happen if they were found out?

While there might be some digitally formatted stuff sitting on a defunct hard drive in someone's garage, the chances are slim. Columbine happened right in between that sliver of time where we still had widespread analog photo and video, but were also transitioning to full digital capture.

DR's dad was fond of bragging about the photos that were leaked to him(I think via the National Enquirer), and he was known to show them around town. I think he relished in the fact that JEFFCO would never dare arrest or even confront the father of one of the victims. Of course, that's also what led to the evidence getting locked down so tight. AFAIK, he had many more pics than just the the ones that the Enquirer ran with. Heck, if you managed to get a hold of those that would be groundbreaking in itself.

Good luck in your quest. Before I forget, I also talked with one of the photographers that was on sight after the shooting. I can't recall his name, but he's the one who took that famous photo of the girl looking to the sky and holding her face while crying. Anyhow, he said that a lot of the un-printed photos, negs and other related media ended up at the Denver Public Library Archives. I've never had a chance to go there, but if you're local I'd start there and branch out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Is it bad that I am actually hoping this is a serious quest? scratch Haha
Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 9:19 pm

I was once toying with the idea of just putting an ad up on Craigslist in the Denver area to see if I could get any hits on old pictures. I mean, even if you don't get the basement tapes you still might manage to find some stuff that's never seen the light of day:

1. old camcorder footage from bystanders and school neighbors. also photos from bystanders. I've found some online, but they were at a distance.
2. more obscure leaked photos that didn't surface right after the attack
3. old closed circuit footage from the outside of the school. AFIK, it exists but has not been released.
4. night time photos of the school the day of the attack where the investigators were collecting evidence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 9:26 pm

radaddio wrote:
I was once toying with the idea of just putting an ad up on Craigslist in the Denver area to see if I could get any hits on old pictures. I mean, even if you don't get the basement tapes you still might manage to find some stuff that's never seen the light of day:

1. old camcorder footage from bystanders and school neighbors. also photos from bystanders. I've found some online, but they were at a distance.
3. old closed circuit footage from the outside of the school. AFIK, it exists but has not been released.
4. night time photos of the school the day of the attack where the investigators were collecting evidence.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  That actually wouldn't be a bad idea. scratch  BUT I think you would just get a bunch of people messing with you.

Also Craigslist is probably the only place that asking for old evidence from a 19 year old school shooting would blend right in with all the other shit that get posted on there! Haha
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 97793
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 10:58 pm

radaddio wrote:
Alright, assuming this isn't a troll, the best place to start would be around your town itself. JEFFCO Sheriff's dept was very bad about leaks early on in the aftermath and investigation. The law of probability dictates that if photos were leaked early on, then video must have been leaked as well. The question is; what format would that video be in, and who might be willing enough to leak it given the ramifications of what would happen if they were found out?

While there might be some digitally formatted stuff sitting on a defunct hard drive in someone's garage, the chances are slim. Columbine happened right in between that sliver of time where we still had widespread analog photo and video, but were also transitioning to full digital capture.

DR's dad was fond of bragging about the photos that were leaked to him(I think via the National Enquirer), and he was known to show them around town. I think he relished in the fact that JEFFCO would never dare arrest or even confront the father of one of the victims. Of course, that's also what led to the evidence getting locked down so tight. AFAIK, he had many more pics than just the the ones that the Enquirer ran with. Heck, if you managed to get a hold of those that would be groundbreaking in itself.

Good luck in your quest. Before I forget, I also talked with one of the photographers that was on sight after the shooting. I can't recall his name, but he's the one who took that famous photo of the girl looking to the sky and holding her face while crying. Anyhow, he said that a lot of the un-printed photos, negs and other related media ended up at the Denver Public Library Archives. I've never had a chance to go there, but if you're local I'd start there and branch out.

Now i’m gonna spend half the time I should be in bars in Littleton next week in the Denver Public Library!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2018 10:59 pm

Draw_It_White wrote:
radaddio wrote:

Now i’m gonna spend half the time I should be in bars in Littleton next week in the Denver Public Library!

Happy hunting! Haha
Back to top Go down
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2018 1:15 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
radaddio wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  That actually wouldn't be a bad idea. scratch  BUT I think you would just get a bunch of people messing with you.

Also Craigslist is probably the only place that asking for old evidence from a 19 year old school shooting would blend right in with all the other shit that get posted on there! Haha

Yeah, I'd expect to get a lot of hate mail and trolling. But, in all of that there might be someone who happened to have a story to tell, and some pics to go along with it.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193506
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2018 1:41 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Draw_It_White wrote:
radaddio wrote:

Happy hunting! Haha

We have a very important project!! Study hard.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2018 1:57 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Well even if it gets us more information breaking and entering is still wrong.

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2018 2:01 am

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

Well even if it gets us more information breaking and entering is still wrong.

Yes B&E is very wrong indeed. I will also say that I don't actually think the OP is going to attempt to find and then steal anything.

Last edited by ShadowedGoddess on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105213
Forum Reputation : 1235

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2018 3:26 am

So logically there is definitely a copy somewhere, most likely in the FBI headquarters. The FBI has records from murders that happened 40+ years ago that weren't nearly as popular as Columbine. I do believe that Jeff Co handed all of the videos over to the FBI, so Jeff Co probably doesn't have them anymore. There really is no logical reason to why they would totally destroy all of the videos. It was just a good way to stop the constant nitpicking from people to release them.
Back to top Go down
REBdoomer1999

REBdoomer1999

Contribution Points : 64162
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2018 5:08 am

Maybe they won't release them because what was actually said conflicts with their "transcripts"? Who knows, you can't take their word for everything.

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2018 6:01 am

REBdoomer1999 wrote:
Maybe they won't release them because what was actually said conflicts with their "transcripts"? Who knows, you can't take their word for everything.

Agreed. Jeffco proved they weren't above lying and hiding evidence. So I feel totally justified in my skepticism where they are concerned in regards to anything Columbine related. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2018 8:44 am

Imagine if we could get all the info on columbine, man that would be cool. We already know way way more then people causally interested in crime, normal people, and edgy tumblr kids, I think the info would be the best for us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2018 11:00 am

I think in Cullenbine it says that a judge ordered the BT to be secured in a federal courthouse somewhere. Don't know when it was though, or if that is even true...

Sadly I just don't see them being released though, still, one can hope.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2018 1:00 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
REBdoomer1999 wrote:

Agreed. Jeffco proved they weren't above lying and hiding evidence. So I feel totally justified in my skepticism where they are concerned in regards to anything Columbine related. Evil or Very Mad

The problem I have with this is that what could Eric and Dylan say that JeffCo would feel justified in trying to hide? At this point we'd be getting into conspiracy theory territory. I'm just not seeing it.

23september

Contribution Points : 66090
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2018 2:21 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
REBdoomer1999 wrote:

The problem I have with this is that what could Eric and Dylan say that JeffCo would feel justified in trying to hide? At this point we'd be getting into conspiracy theory territory. I'm just not seeing it.

I've seen people argue that it could've been dangerous for the parents, like when they show the tour of Erics room and where they've hidden everything, making people go "They must've known how could they not have known!! Just open a drawer!". Or that they somehow make the department look bad by showing that they missed obvious signs and fucked up real bad with this one.

Personally, I think they didn't want it released because it was about copy cat reasons at first, but then it just grew to "we want to forget about this whole thing, releasing it now would revive the whole interest and might bring people over here"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2018 10:24 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
REBdoomer1999 wrote:

I'm not saying that I truly think they didn't release the tapes because of something that was said on them.

I was merely making light of the fact Jeffco proved themselves to be very untrustworthy during the investigation, SO that does make me question everything they said or did regarding Columbine to a certain degree.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2018 12:02 am

23september wrote:
I've seen people argue that it could've been dangerous for the parents, like when they show the tour of Erics room and where they've hidden everything, making people go "They must've known how could they not have known!! Just open a drawer!". Or that they somehow make the department look bad by showing that they missed obvious signs and fucked up real bad with this one.

Personally, I think they didn't want it released because it was about copy cat reasons at first, but then it just grew to "we want to forget about this whole thing, releasing it now would revive the whole interest and might bring people over here"

That makes sense, I can understand that.

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2018 12:26 am

23september wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
REBdoomer1999 wrote:

I can agree with that. The reason Jeffco hid evidence and lied was in the effort to save department face and cover as many asses as they possible could.

So anything that would keep Columbine in the headlines ALSO kept their shadiness in the spot light as well. They probably wanted it all swept under the rug and forgotten. Clearly they hoped everyone's interest in Columbine would simply fading away with time.

They were very much mistaken. As here we are 19 years later and Columbine is still a highly researched topic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2018 6:23 am

It would be good if somebody found the basement tapes and leaked them online, unedited.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2018 6:47 pm

Ziamber II wrote:
It would be good if somebody found the basement tapes and leaked them online, unedited.

I hold out hope one day they will be leaked.
Back to top Go down
23september

Contribution Points : 66090
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 1:51 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Ziamber II wrote:

Same here, and if the day ever comes I can't imagine the ruckus and digital feast this website would suffer from, the whole site would crash lol!

Last edited by 23september on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 2:05 am

23september wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Ziamber II wrote:

Same here, and if the day every comes I can't imagine the ruckus and digital feast this website would suffer from, the whole site would crash lol!

Indeed it would. Haha
Back to top Go down
Heyheyhey

Heyheyhey

Contribution Points : 56228

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 2:49 am

23september wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Ziamber II wrote:

Same here, and if the day every comes I can't imagine the ruckus and digital feast this website would suffer from, the whole site would crash [smiley][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So much posting and so many new threads, the site would definitely crash. Hope one day the BT Tapes get out somehow.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
llpoolhey

llpoolhey

Contribution Points : 58920

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 10:28 am

Heyheyhey wrote:
23september wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Ziamber II wrote:

Same here, and if the day every comes I can't imagine the ruckus and digital feast this website would suffer from, the whole site would crash [smiley][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So much posting and so many new threads, the site would definitely crash. Hope one day the BT Tapes get out somehow.

Sent from Topic'it App

I will literally drop everything and study them for days. If only that would happen. I feel the longer that time goes on, the easier it is to not release them. Plus with all the controversy going on surrounding this topic these last few years... the best hope is it was leaked back then and someone will come across them someday (ik wishful thinking).
I just dont see the fbi and especially not jeffco ever allowing their release. Maybe the depositions will spark new interest in having them released? Doubt it, but here is to forever hoping! Neutral
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hunt for the basement tapes.   Hunt for the basement tapes. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hunt for the basement tapes.
Page 1 of 1