Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Stoned Slacker

Stoned Slacker

Contribution Points : 57429
Forum Reputation : 15

Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco Empty
PostSubject: Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco   Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2018 9:38 am

The Las Vegas gunman ranted about conspiracy theories in the weeks before he gunned down 58 people and wounded hundreds more from his sniper perch inside a high-rise hotel last year, new documents reveal.

A jailed man who gave a statement to authorities in November said he encountered a man he believed was Stephen Paddock and who told him that Federal Emergency Management Agency “camps” setup after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 were “a dry run for law enforcement and military to start kickin' down doors and...confiscating guns.”

“Somebody has to wake up the American public and get them to arm themselves,” the man said Paddock told him less than a month before the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. “Sometimes sacrifices have to be made.”

Las Vegas Metro Police release bodycam footage from the moment they stormed into the Vegas shooter's hotel suite; Adam Housley reports from Las Vegas.
Separately, a woman wrote a handwritten account of her experience with Paddock, in which she said she heard him talk about armed standoffs. The woman reportedly overheard Paddock talking with another man at a Las Vegas restaurant three days before the shooting.

She told authorities that Paddock seemed upset about the deadly standoffs between law enforcement officers and militia groups at Waco, Texas in 1993 and Ruby Ridge, Idaho in 1992.

“At the time, I just thought 'strange guys' and I wanted to leave,” the woman told officials.

The Las Vegas Police Department on Wednesday released 1,200 pages of reports, including witness statements and officer testimony on the October massacre. Multiple witnesses who attended the Route 91 Harvest Festival concert said they thought they were hearing fireworks as the shooting was taking place.

The documents were court-ordered to be released to the public. Two weeks ago, the department released body camera footage of police officers entering and combing through Paddock’s hotel room at the Mandalay Bay resort.

The FBI and police have yet to declare a motive for the shooting, though officials have said previously that Paddock, a prolific gambler, was on a losing streak prior to the shooting.

Officials believe Paddock acted alone and the attack had no link to international terrorism. ISIS, however, claimed responsibility for the attack in its immediate aftermath -- though officials have dismissed any connection between Paddock and Islamist groups.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thought this was pretty interesting
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco   Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2018 1:26 pm

My first instinct is to believe that this is a case of mistaken identity. Even if it isn't though, I don't think this would give us more insight as to why he did it. If he hated the government why kill a bunch of random people?

STK

STK

Contribution Points : 72209
Forum Reputation : 328

PostSubject: Re: Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco   Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2018 4:49 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
If he hated the government why kill a bunch of random people?
People who most likely held similar views regarding the government and firearms (it was a country music festival after all). My money's on mistaken identity.

"If opportunities for role fulfilment fall far short of the demand by those capable of filling roles, and having expectations to do so, only violence and disruption of social organization can follow. Individuals born under these circumstances will be so out of touch with reality as to be incapable even of alienation. Their most complex behaviors will become fragmented. Acquisition, creation and utilization of ideas appropriate for life in a post-industrial cultural-conceptual-technological society will have been blocked."
- John B. Calhoun

"If I died thirsty, it wouldn't matter for me if it rains ever again"
- Abu Firas al-Hamdani
Back to top Go down
AlteRoad

AlteRoad

Contribution Points : 64150
Forum Reputation : 43

PostSubject: Re: Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco   Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 9:02 am

Sounds like mistaken identity or plain fabrication to me. If he were motivated by anti-government sentiment like Timothy McVeigh, why massacre concertgoers? Better yet, why bring up Ruby Ridge & the Branch Davidians? While perfect examples of government overreach and abuse, they're also incredibly dated. Yet again, Micah Xavier Johnson was obsessed with Rodney King, so who knows?
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco   Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 1:45 pm

AlteRoad wrote:
Sounds like mistaken identity or plain fabrication to me. If he were motivated by anti-government sentiment like Timothy McVeigh, why massacre concertgoers? Better yet, why bring up Ruby Ridge & the Branch Davidians? While perfect examples of government overreach and abuse, they're also incredibly dated. Yet again, Micah Xavier Johnson was obsessed with Rodney King, so who knows?

Well Micah directed his murderous impulses towards white police officers, a clearly political target. Paddock (assuming that he even was a part of the militia movement or sympathetic to them) killed random people.

PostSubject: Re: Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco   Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 11:49 pm

I can believe that Paddock was one of those "fuck, the government is gonna get me" kinda guys, but I don't think it was his main motive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco   Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock ranted about FEMA camps, Waco
Page 1 of 1