Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 
 

 Racism and Misanthropic tendencies

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Chatroom Moderator & Top 10 Contributor


Posts : 3167
Contribution Points : 23153
Join date : 2017-08-25

PostSubject: Racism and Misanthropic tendencies   Thu May 31, 2018 2:42 pm

I am kind of interested in studying Dylans misanthropy, sexism and racism as it compares to Eric. Sometimes I feel like he said things to Eric because they had to keep pumping each other up and feed into each other’s anger. Yet Dylan is the one that hurled all the nasty words at Isaiah and tried to pull him out from the desk, some people claim he killed Kyle because he was special needs but I don’t know how he would’ve known that and supposedly he bullied Adam Kyler.

Could the bullying have been a wait for him to assert his power because he felt so ostracized and hurt? He was probably embarrassed too because of his size and his intelligence he wondered why he was being singled out.

Yet Eric’s words are the only ones that are looked at. No one really talks about Dylan’s feelings other than being depressed.

We know that under a lot of Eric’s anger was a lot of hurt and a lot of what he was doing was putting on a show in his journals . I do sometimes think Dylan was doing that for Eric in the library but then again I think he had a lot of anger he kept underneath the surface for a long time.

Eric was kind to women at school but talked about how women should say in the kitchen. He may have had thoughts of wanting a traditional family one day but needed to express himself in a way that made him sound like a jerk, you know because “Reb” needed to be feared.

Dylan said he hated it when guys for mean to chicks and he was very sweet and gentle to his friends who were girls but shoved girls in gym class.

The only time Dylan wrote anything racist was in Eric’s yearbook. I never saw him write anything sexist. But Dylan certainly had misanthropic tendencies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
SandraSmit19

avatar

Posts : 81
Contribution Points : 46939
Join date : 2013-05-08
Age : 35
Location : The Lowlands

PostSubject: Re: Racism and Misanthropic tendencies   Thu May 31, 2018 9:49 pm

I think in Dylan's case a lot of his behavior was very defensive. Better to lash out at people before they can lash out at you. It's entirely possible that Dylan bullied people he perceived to be weaker than himself out of a need to feel less desperate about his own situation, his own treatment at the hands of others.
I'm ashamed to admit that I used to do it myself when I was a child. I was bullied terribly (too quiet, too shy, too ginger) and there were many times I would lash out at those even less accepted than myself, simply because I could, or maybe to feel better about myself. I don't think it made me a terrible person, just very lonely and very confused. I grew out of it, of course, but I never forgot what bullying drove me to.
I'm not saying this is the case for Dylan, but it's possible. Maybe not. Maybe he really was a jerk, who liked picking on people just because but like you say, he never really wrote anything that would indicate this in his writings.
And don't forget that a lot of the information about Dylan's behavior is hearsay. A single push could be turned into him pushing her all the time. A single cross word could be turned into him being verbally abusive every time they saw each other. Who's to say what actually happened?
Just my two cents.

_________________
I don't trust joggers, they're the ones always finding the bodies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
evelynssye



Posts : 28
Contribution Points : 2778
Join date : 2018-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Racism and Misanthropic tendencies   Thu May 31, 2018 11:11 pm

Hmmm... Good questions....


I think Dylan was not racist or anything of the sort honestly. I have to remember his family background. The Klebolds were very liberal, open minded people. Dylan was raised to be a pacifist. I think he grew up with the mindset to get along with everyone and not single any one out about what they looked like or what background they had. Now, as a teenager, I think because of his anger issues he may have had shallow thoughts about racism here and there only to mentally lash out at something. But personally, I don't think he was racist or misogynistic centrally. I think he may have just hated everyone in a way, after a while. He hated himself mostly, and I think for him he may have looked for outlets by saying racist things or things against women, but after he met Eric, I believe Eric just opened a door to let racist comments or just negative comments about anyone in general open, whether Dylan meant them or not.

I think Eric influenced him when it comes to this issue. Eric comes from a conservative background. And even though the Harris family hasn't said a word in going on 20 years, I think his father may have had some strong conservative opinions that influenced Eric and there for, Eric took it to the extreme, especially after he started to study on his own and... "go off the deep end," I suppose. Eric was an extreme person. So anything that influenced him he took to the next level. Eric loved grandiosity. Anyway though. If it wasn't for Eric I don't think Dylan would have started saying racist crap out loud at least... Dylan may have said those things, I don't think he meant them though.

Now, during the shooting. Dylan was being racist and whatever else. But I think it was a combination of showing off for Eric and also letting the anger out. Or maybe it was just the hype of knowing the one thing you've always wanted to do is finally happening (killing himself)? I think he said whatever he wanted. He didn't care. He was going to die, what did it matter anyway? Be racist, be crazy, go insane. Your killing people while the end goal is killing yourself. At that point .... everything's up for grabs.

Dylan didn't know Kyle Vasquez was special needs, but ... looking at Kyle first glance... I mean most people can tell just looking at some people that they are mentally challenged. I'm sure they could tell that, especially after poor Kyle sat confused. They shot him a moved on to the next, not because he was mentally challenged... because he was another "frag."

"Could the bullying have been a wait for him to assert his power because he felt so ostracized and hurt? He was probably embarrassed too because of his size and his intelligence he wondered why he was being singled out. "
- Yes absolutely. Dylan lashed out cause he hated how people picked on him for being smart, quiet and just "different" because he thought ahead of the curb than most kids his age. His height may have lessened the load, but still. Jocks noticed, people in general noticed, and along with his shyness he was an easy target to some.

"We know that under a lot of Eric’s anger was a lot of hurt and a lot of what he was doing was putting on a show in his journals.."
- Yes, very much so. Reb was who Eric wanted to be. Eric did not want to be Eric.

"Eric was kind to women at school but talked about how women should say in the kitchen. He may have had thoughts of wanting a traditional family one day but needed to express himself in a way that made him sound like a jerk, you know because “Reb” needed to be feared. "
- Eric liked being Extreme. Being extreme was Reb. It's funny to me at least, because, and I think he knew this about himself... he could talk shit all he wanted. But when in reality happened, REAL LIFE, he couldn't hold up, and went back to being lacking in confidence Eric. Take his date with Susan... he barely tried anything with her ... and they were on his bed! How can you miss that chance?? Well considering his parents were home ... ok I'm in rant mode now.

"Dylan said he hated it when guys for mean to chicks and he was very sweet and gentle to his friends who were girls but shoved girls in gym class."
- this is obviously (if you haven't figured it out by now) just my opinion ... but sometimes when guys like girls they shove them, make fun of them or are just mean to them. Because they don't know how else to express themselves so they act all tough and try to intimidate the girls they like. I know that sounds back words AF.. but when I read about Dylan shoving girls in gym class I don't think it has anything to do with bullying. I think it's just some weird defense mechanism he had, " I like you, but you probably think I'm weird so take that bitch.." and he just shoves a girl. In a way it could be looked at as bullying ... but... I don't think he meant it whole heartedly as that when he shoved girls.

"The only time Dylan wrote anything racist was in Eric’s yearbook. I never saw him write anything sexist. But Dylan certainly had misanthropic tendencies."
- This was just, like you said, to keep the hype going. And also knowing Eric seemed Racist/Misanthropic AF, I'm sure Dylan didn't think there was any problem writing whatever in Eric's year book.

Just my two cents...





_________________
Some one who becomes angry easily, over silly things, subconsciously desires to be loved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Chatroom Moderator & Top 10 Contributor


Posts : 3167
Contribution Points : 23153
Join date : 2017-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Racism and Misanthropic tendencies   Thu May 31, 2018 11:16 pm

I do agree with you.

In my hesrt and I don’t know where it comes from I don’t believe that Dylan was just a jerk. I also don’t believe Eric was either.

I like your insight a lot. It’sso strange when it comes to Eric and Dylan because I can understand their motivations and empathize with them until they started hurting people but other shooters I can’t grasp it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Screamingophelia
Chatroom Moderator & Top 10 Contributor


Posts : 3167
Contribution Points : 23153
Join date : 2017-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Racism and Misanthropic tendencies   Thu May 31, 2018 11:25 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Hmmm... Good questions....


I think Dylan was not racist or anything of the sort honestly. I have to remember his family background. The Klebolds were very liberal, open minded people. Dylan was raised to be a pacifist. I think he grew up with the mindset to get along with everyone and not single any one out about what they looked like or what background they had. Now, as a teenager, I think because of his anger issues he may have had shallow thoughts about racism here and there only to mentally lash out at something. But personally, I don't think he was racist or misogynistic centrally. I think he may have just hated everyone in a way, after a while. He hated himself mostly, and I think for him he may have looked for outlets by saying racist things or things against women, but after he met Eric, I believe Eric just opened a door to let racist comments or just negative comments about anyone in general open, whether Dylan meant them or not.

I think Eric influenced him when it comes to this issue. Eric comes from a conservative background. And even though the Harris family hasn't said a word in going on 20 years, I think his father may have had some strong conservative opinions that influenced Eric and there for, Eric took it to the extreme, especially after he started to study on his own and... "go off the deep end," I suppose. Eric was an extreme person. So anything that influenced him he took to the next level. Eric loved grandiosity. Anyway though. If it wasn't for Eric I don't think Dylan would have started saying racist crap out loud at least... Dylan may have said those things, I don't think he meant them though.

Now, during the shooting. Dylan was being racist and whatever else. But I think it was a combination of showing off for Eric and also letting the anger out. Or maybe it was just the hype of knowing the one thing you've always wanted to do is finally happening (killing himself)? I think he said whatever he wanted. He didn't care. He was going to die, what did it matter anyway? Be racist, be crazy, go insane. Your killing people while the end goal is killing yourself. At that point .... everything's up for grabs.

Dylan didn't know Kyle Vasquez was special needs, but ... looking at Kyle first glance... I mean most people can tell just looking at some people that they are mentally challenged. I'm sure they could tell that, especially after poor Kyle sat confused. They shot him a moved on to the next, not because he was mentally challenged... because he was another "frag."

"Could the bullying have been a wait for him to assert his power because he felt so ostracized and hurt? He was probably embarrassed too because of his size and his intelligence he wondered why he was being singled out. "
- Yes absolutely. Dylan lashed out cause he hated how people picked on him for being smart, quiet and just "different" because he thought ahead of the curb than most kids his age. His height may have lessened the load, but still. Jocks noticed, people in general noticed, and along with his shyness he was an easy target to some.

"We know that under a lot of Eric’s anger was a lot of hurt and a lot of what he was doing was putting on a show in his journals.."
- Yes, very much so. Reb was who Eric wanted to be. Eric did not want to be Eric.

"Eric was kind to women at school but talked about how women should say in the kitchen. He may have had thoughts of wanting a traditional family one day but needed to express himself in a way that made him sound like a jerk, you know because “Reb” needed to be feared. "
- Eric liked being Extreme. Being extreme was Reb. It's funny to me at least, because, and I think he knew this about himself... he could talk shit all he wanted. But when in reality happened, REAL LIFE, he couldn't hold up, and went back to being lacking in confidence Eric. Take his date with Susan... he barely tried anything with her ... and they were on his bed! How can you miss that chance?? Well considering his parents were home ... ok I'm in rant mode now.

"Dylan said he hated it when guys for mean to chicks and he was very sweet and gentle to his friends who were girls but shoved girls in gym class."
- this is obviously (if you haven't figured it out by now) just my opinion ... but sometimes when guys like girls they shove them, make fun of them or are just mean to them. Because they don't know how else to express themselves so they act all tough and try to intimidate the girls they like. I know that sounds back words AF.. but when I read about Dylan shoving girls in gym class I don't think it has anything to do with bullying. I think it's just some weird defense mechanism he had, " I like you, but you probably think I'm weird so take that bitch.." and he just shoves a girl. In a way it could be looked at as bullying ... but... I don't think he meant it whole heartedly as that when he shoved girls.

"The only time Dylan wrote anything racist was in Eric’s yearbook. I never saw him write anything sexist. But Dylan certainly had misanthropic tendencies."
- This was just, like you said, to keep the hype going. And also knowing Eric seemed Racist/Misanthropic AF, I'm sure Dylan didn't think there was any problem writing whatever in Eric's year book.

Just my two cents...





I think that’s a perfect example of Dylan . In his mind you’re going to hate me so I can I just hate you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 1828
Contribution Points : 16139
Join date : 2017-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Racism and Misanthropic tendencies   Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:37 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
In my hesrt and I don’t know where it comes from I don’t believe that Dylan was just a jerk. I also don’t believe Eric was either.

Well at the end of their lives they went further than a lot of others and decided to play God...

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Chatroom Moderator & Top 10 Contributor


Posts : 3167
Contribution Points : 23153
Join date : 2017-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Racism and Misanthropic tendencies   Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:50 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
In my hesrt and I don’t know where it comes from I don’t believe that Dylan was just a jerk. I also don’t believe Eric was either.

Well at the end of their lives they went further than a lot of others and decided to play God...

I agree, I think at the end of their lives they were awful and my empathy stops but I was looking at their actions before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
munchkinphone
Top Contributor


Posts : 490
Contribution Points : 8697
Join date : 2017-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Racism and Misanthropic tendencies   Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:57 am

Eric writes about that retarded people should be shot and stuff. I guess him and Dylan maybe talked about that. Even if Dylan didn't share that opinion I think it just didn't matter to him so he might as well give in to Erics wishes.

Eric was probably just being sexist to seem like he doesn't give a shit, I mean... He couldn't afford to have that kind of attitude towards girls and it probably irritated him knowing others could.

Also doesn't Eric kind of react badly to when his friends make fun of Tiffany?

He's kind of reacting like "oh no... not this shit again", so maybe it's not so much that he respects Tiffany but more that his friends just won't drop it? What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Screamingophelia
Chatroom Moderator & Top 10 Contributor


Posts : 3167
Contribution Points : 23153
Join date : 2017-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Racism and Misanthropic tendencies   Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:30 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Eric writes about that retarded people should be shot and stuff. I guess him and Dylan maybe talked about that. Even if Dylan didn't share that opinion I think it just didn't matter to him so he might as well give in to Erics wishes.

Eric was probably just being sexist to seem like he doesn't give a shit, I mean... He couldn't afford to have that kind of attitude towards girls and it probably irritated him knowing others could.

Also doesn't Eric kind of react badly to when his friends make fun of Tiffany?

He's kind of reacting like "oh no... not this shit again", so maybe it's not so much that he respects Tiffany but more that his friends just won't drop it? What do you guys think?

That is true, Dylan did have a "that's just Eric" mentality about him, just like when he got yelled at after soccer. Probably easier to agree with Eric when he was on a roll than to argue with him.

I honestly don't think Dylan would have known about Kyle, he was there and they wanted to commit acts of violence so Dylan shot the first person he saw.

I think in person and in his "real world" Eric was kind and tried his best to be respectful, but online and with Dylan and probably some other guy friends he was rough. I don't know if it was in the 11k or somewhere else but someone was talking about how E and D would say dirty comments or something like that... or Eric would say something about girls and Dylan would agree... I wish I had the link or direct quotes. They Eric a horndog I think....but he was, he was a 17 year old kid why wanted to get laid. Most are like that.

So I think he liked Tiffany and didn't want people making fun of her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
munchkinphone
Top Contributor


Posts : 490
Contribution Points : 8697
Join date : 2017-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Racism and Misanthropic tendencies   Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:41 am

Hahaha, what was the name of that movie they watched together..

Beach babes 2 Cave girl island Very Happy I wonder if they made sexist comments when watching that or if they maybe just sat there in silence.. lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Screamingophelia
Chatroom Moderator & Top 10 Contributor


Posts : 3167
Contribution Points : 23153
Join date : 2017-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Racism and Misanthropic tendencies   Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:49 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Hahaha, what was the name of that movie they watched together..

Beach babes 2 Cave girl island Very Happy I wonder if they made sexist comments when watching that or if they maybe just sat there in silence.. lol.

Yes LOL.

Secret life of guys I never knew they watched stuff like that together.

I think Dylan had a poster of the main actress on his wall.

It is funny reading some blog writings about Dylan, there are some who look at him as completely asexual like he never wanted to have sex or had any form of regular human feelings like that... it's like, have you read any of his journals, yes he talks about love but come on... he talks about BDSM and extremely liking it... I don't know where the denial comes from. Why do people want to put him on a pedestal? It is odd.


Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
 
Racism and Misanthropic tendencies
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Racism

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: