Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Cumbria Shootings

Go down 
+3
UncontinuedProcess
QuestionMark
Tommy QTR
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tommy QTR

Contribution Points : 91192
Forum Reputation : 575

The Cumbria Shootings Empty
PostSubject: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2018 5:39 pm

Today is the eighth anniversary of the Cumbria Shootings where fifty two year old Taxi Driver Derrick Bird when on a shooting rampage killing twelve  people and injuring eleven others before killing himself throughout the countryside of West Cumbria.

The Shooting first began in the early hours of 2 June, Where Bird left his home in Rowrah and drove his Citroën Xsara Picasso Taxi to his twin brother David's home in Lamplugh, and shot him 11 times in the head and body with a .22 rifle, killing him.

He then went to Frizington, arriving at the home of the family solicitor, Kevin Commons, whom Bird prevented from driving away by firing twice with a double-barrel shotgun, hitting Commons once in the shoulder. Commons staggered out of his car and onto the entrance to his farmyard, where Bird killed him with two rifle shots to the head. At 10:20 BST, the police were telephoned. Bird then moved on towards Whitehaven. A witness called the Cumbria Constabulary to report the Commons shooting, although her call was delayed by several minutes after she asked neighbours what she should do. She also erroneously described Bird as being armed with an air rifle despite being able to hear the gunshots.

After killing Commons, Bird went to a friend's residence to retrieve a shotgun he had loaned, although he was answered by the friend's wife, who didn't have access to it. Afterwards, at 10:33, Bird drove to a taxi rank on Duke Street, Whitehaven. There, he called over Darren Rewcastle, another taxi driver who was previously known to Bird, and who Bird had conflicts with over Rewcastle's behaviour and poaching fares, and an incident wherein Rewcastle damaged the tyres on Bird's taxi and openly boasted about it. When Rewcastle approached Bird's taxi, Bird shot him twice at point-blank range with the .22 rifle, hitting him in the lower face, chest, and abdomen. Rewcastle died of his injuries, becoming the only person to die in Whitehaven.

Bird would then shoot and injure two more fellow Taxi drivers in Whitehaven before going on a spree of random shootings, killing nine people and injuring nine more throughout West Cumbria. Three hours after his killing spree, Bird crashed his taxi into several vehicles and a stone wall, damaging a tyre, he then abandoned the Vehicle near the village of Boot. Derrick then took out the .22 Calibre Rifle out of his taxi and walked over a bridge leading into Oak How Woods where he encountered a mother and daughter and said "don't worry, I'm not going to shoot you". Bird then went into the woods and killed himself.

The shooting is Britain's third mass shooting, however unlike Hungerford and Dunblane, no serious restriction on firearms was enforced.

Although no motive was established, it is a believed that Bird's mental state had decreased since he was badly beaten up by a non-paying customer in 2007. Combine this with a family dispute over his father's will, his girlfriend breaking up with him over text after giving her a thousand pound, worry that he might be arrested for tax evasion and recent arguments he had with his fellow Taxi Drivers caused him to snap.

Last edited by Tommy QTR on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2018 12:42 am

Tommy QTR wrote:
The shooting is Britain's third mass shooting, however unlike Hungerford and Dunblane, no serious restriction on firearms was enforced.

Well let's be honest here, there's not much further they could go unless they banned all guns outright.

Tommy QTR

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2018 4:08 am

QuestionMark wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

Well let's be honest here, there's not much further they could go unless they banned all guns outright.
They've been trying to do that for a while now.
Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 5:29 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

They've also been trying to restrict certain people from trying to buy guns.
Back to top Go down
UncontinuedProcess

UncontinuedProcess

Contribution Points : 66307
Forum Reputation : 430

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 7:19 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

Any further legislation will would do no good either way, you'll just end up with a whole pile of grump farmers and hunters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2018 10:57 pm

Derrick "Travis Bickle" Bird
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2018 2:31 am

This was the Shooting that got me interested in mass Shootings.

Last edited by Ziamber II on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : CRUZ CRUZ)
Back to top Go down
Pixie13

Contribution Points : 55976
Forum Reputation : 270

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Nobody wants to ban guns outright in the UK, it is nonsense to say otherwise. We just only have them for police, farmers, hunters and sportsman (we even won a medal in the Olympics). I don't no a single person (except maybe some hard-core vegans) who say guns should be banned outright. My family even allowed shooting in our woods (on planned days with a gamekeeper) to keep the deer population under control. Nobody would support an outright ban but we are in favour of gun control.
Back to top Go down
Pixie13

Contribution Points : 55976
Forum Reputation : 270

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2018 12:44 pm

Derrick Bird was a weird one, it started off with a (twisted) motive then spun out of control.

Do you remember Rauol Moat?

Last edited by Pixie13 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
D-FENS1993

D-FENS1993

Contribution Points : 58106
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2018 2:23 pm

TheOne99 wrote:
Congratulations on never watching the film you reference, asshat.

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2018 12:43 am

D-FENS1993 wrote:
TheOne99 wrote:
Congratulations on never watching the film you reference, asshat.

No need to be rude about it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2018 5:12 pm

I was shocked and horryfied when i returned to the caravan and turned on the TV that day, but about 2 weeks later, i felt sorry for what happend to Derrick Bird, and his miserable life, and even began to sympathise abit. A few months later i reasearched Michael Ryan's Hungerford Massacre and was obsessed, the similarities between him then and me now are about 90 - 95 %.
Back to top Go down
DanielBryer

DanielBryer

Contribution Points : 28803
Forum Reputation : 104

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2022 4:47 pm

Tommy QTR wrote:
Today is the eighth anniversary of the Cumbria Shootings where fifty two year old Taxi Driver Derrick Bird when on a shooting rampage killing twelve  people and injuring eleven others before killing himself throughout the countryside of West Cumbria.

The Shooting first began in the early hours of 2 June, Where Bird left his home in Rowrah and drove his Citroën Xsara Picasso Taxi to his twin brother David's home in Lamplugh, and shot him 11 times in the head and body with a .22 rifle, killing him.

He then went to Frizington, arriving at the home of the family solicitor, Kevin Commons, whom Bird prevented from driving away by firing twice with a double-barrel shotgun, hitting Commons once in the shoulder. Commons staggered out of his car and onto the entrance to his farmyard, where Bird killed him with two rifle shots to the head. At 10:20 BST, the police were telephoned. Bird then moved on towards Whitehaven. A witness called the Cumbria Constabulary to report the Commons shooting, although her call was delayed by several minutes after she asked neighbours what she should do. She also erroneously described Bird as being armed with an air rifle despite being able to hear the gunshots.

After killing Commons, Bird went to a friend's residence to retrieve a shotgun he had loaned, although he was answered by the friend's wife, who didn't have access to it. Afterwards, at 10:33, Bird drove to a taxi rank on Duke Street, Whitehaven. There, he called over Darren Rewcastle, another taxi driver who was previously known to Bird, and who Bird had conflicts with over Rewcastle's behaviour and poaching fares, and an incident wherein Rewcastle damaged the tyres on Bird's taxi and openly boasted about it. When Rewcastle approached Bird's taxi, Bird shot him twice at point-blank range with the .22 rifle, hitting him in the lower face, chest, and abdomen. Rewcastle died of his injuries, becoming the only person to die in Whitehaven.

Bird would then shoot and injure two more fellow Taxi drivers in Whitehaven before going on a spree of random shootings, killing nine people and injuring nine more throughout West Cumbria. Three hours after his killing spree, Bird crashed his taxi into several vehicles and a stone wall, damaging a tyre, he then abandoned the Vehicle near the village of Boot. Derrick then took out the .22 Calibre Rifle out of his taxi and walked over a bridge leading into Oak How Woods where he encountered a mother and daughter and said "don't worry, I'm not going to shoot you". Bird then went into the woods and killed himself.

Although no motive was established, it is a believed that Bird's mental state had decreased since he was badly beaten up by a non-paying customer in 2007. Combine this with a family dispute over his father's will, his girlfriend breaking up with him over text after giving her a thousand pound, worry that he might be arrested for tax evasion and recent arguments he had with his fellow Taxi Drivers caused him to snap.
It wasn't Britains third mass shooting. There was also Monkseaton in 1989 and West Midlands in 1978.
Back to top Go down
Rosie1756

Rosie1756

Contribution Points : 14996
Forum Reputation : 227

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2022 5:20 pm

I must admit Derrick Bird and Raoul Moat got me interested in shootings, in August 2010, after an incident with an old deckchair, I started talking about them.

DanielBryer likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cumbria Shootings   The Cumbria Shootings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Cumbria Shootings
Page 1 of 1