Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
W.A.R.
Top Contributor

Contribution Points : 16537

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:34 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
McVeigh's motive for his murder of 168 people was retaliation to what he saw for government tyranny in Waco and Ruby Ridge even that the government was justified in their investigation of Koresh stockpiling illegal weapons.

How they handled it was not justified. Militarized law enforcement is still a problem we have today.

Neah

Contribution Points : 11462

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:18 am

Also found this. I don't know why but this is just funny to me.

Makes me wonder if Eric would've acted the same way in court.

I really don't know. It is the worst situation that could happen for Eric (for McVeigh too maybe, but at least he had a political view to defend): being controlled and punished by the society he hated so much, the government, the humans who had gotten rid of their natural instincts, the laws that are only based on "words" such as good and evil... So I don't know if he would have been really depressed to lose control of the situation that much, or if he would have still been able to be a smart-ass. I think maybe at first he would be too depressed, and then he would try to take the control back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 58524

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:13 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Also found this. I don't know why but this is just funny to me. Haha

Makes me wonder if Eric would've acted the same way in court.

To my understanding this happened in the Prison. It was a Prisoner type sound off, roll call etc. As I said before McVeigh was well known to be just a very laid back, easy going guy. But he seemed to show a little sass sometimes.

Also I think it is possible that Eric could have been somewhat like McVeigh if given time to mature. BUT with that being said , I also highly doubt Eric would have had the drive and dedication that McVeigh had to his cause. Not the Eric at 18 anyhow.

-Unknown

My heart has been so badly broken and mended again. Stronger than ever because of its dreadful wounds that I thought it could never break again. But at the sight of his face, at the knowledge that he was taking his leave forever, beyond death, it shattered.
                                                                                                                                                                                -Jeanne Kalogridis

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
           -Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Last edited by ShadowedGoddess on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:02 pm

McVeigh's motive for his murder of 168 people was retaliation to what he saw for government tyranny in Waco and Ruby Ridge even that the government was justified in their investigation of Koresh stockpiling illegal weapons.

How they handled it was not justified. Militarized law enforcement is still a problem we have today.

Honestly McVeigh wasn't exactly totally wrong in his thinking. As much as it kills me, I will say that a lot of the things he said made sense. After all this was a man, a perfect solider who was trained to block out his emotions and distance himself from his feelings in order to do his job. He was awarded medals for this very behavior in combat, then was killed for doing the exact same thing ONLY on American soil.

He basically launched a "For the greater good" type attack against a Government he no longer trusted. Very little fault can be found in his thinking. Let's face it, our Military kills innocent people all the time, including children.  Yes we will all look at the news reports and say "What a shame" while still be happy for the most part that we are winning, or taking out whatever perceived threat was there.

It's a very slippery slope when you start digging deeply into the case. There is right and wrong on both sides.

-Unknown

My heart has been so badly broken and mended again. Stronger than ever because of its dreadful wounds that I thought it could never break again. But at the sight of his face, at the knowledge that he was taking his leave forever, beyond death, it shattered.
                                                                                                                                                                                -Jeanne Kalogridis

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
W.A.R.
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Honestly McVeigh wasn't exactly totally wrong in his thinking. As much as it kills me, I will say that a lot of the things he said made sense. After all this was a man, a perfect solider who was trained to block out his emotions and distance himself from his feelings in order to do his job. He was awarded medals for this very behavior in combat, then was killed for doing the exact same thing ONLY on American soil.

He basically launched a "For the greater good" type attack against a Government he no longer trusted. Very little fault can be found in his thinking. Let's face it, our Military kills innocent people all the time, including children.  Yes we will all look at the news reports and say "What a shame" while still be happy for the most part that we are winning, or taking out whatever perceived threat was there.

It's a very slippery slope when you start digging deeply into the case. There is right and wrong on both sides.

US' foreign policy is still a fuckin' disaster sadly.

I feel they are setting the stage for a war with Iran.

InsaneIntruder
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 28114

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:01 pm

I feel they are setting the stage for a war with Iran.
Steven Sotloff's beheading apparently happened due to America's foreign policy.

Don't push me, ’cause I'm close to the edge
I'm trying not to lose my head
It's like a jungle sometimes
It makes me wonder how I keep from going under"
It's like 2pac said,
when I die I'm not dead.
We are the martyrs,
you're just smashed tomatoes!"
View user profile Online
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 28987

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:06 am

I remember our health teacher was teaching us about different mental disorders, and she used - of all people - McVeigh as someone who was a psychopath. This was back when I hardly knew anything about him* and I still thought my teacher was retarded for saying that. IMO McVeigh was a relatively normal person who became a political extremist. 

*At the time I thought he was a Neo-Nazi terrorist.

View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:16 am

[I remember our health teacher was teaching us about different mental disorders, and she used - of all people - McVeigh as someone who was a psychopath. This was back when I hardly knew anything about him* and I still thought my teacher was retarded for saying that. IMO McVeigh was a relatively normal person who became a political extremist. 

*At the time I thought he was a Neo-Nazi terrorist.

This is just a small part from the interview McVeigh did with Patrick Cole from TIME on March 30, 1996-

TIME: Who is Timothy McVeigh? Who are you? What is your philosophy about life? What moves you? What bores you?

MCVEIGH: I don't think there is any way to narrow my personality down and label me as one thing or another as many people have being trying to do. That's what they try to do with the psychological profiling, with the handwriting, etcetera, etcetera, and it's all pretty much a pseudo-science that I really laugh at when I read. I'm just like anyone else. Movies I enjoy would be action-adventure movies, comedies, sci-fi movies and shows. I can talk to almost anybody. The big misconception is that I'm a loner. Well, I believe in having my own space and being on my own sometimes. But, that in no way means that I'm a loner, which the press likes to equate with an introvert. That's a complete misconception. Women, social life. I like women (chuckle). I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

TIME: What has been misunderstood about Timothy McVeigh?

MCVEIGH: The way I'm misunderstood, the method is through labeling. Speed freak. Gun freak. Loner. All those misconceptions and I think that plays out and my defense attorneys have said that the people they have interviewed, they get a completely different picture of me. The real me has not been reported to the press. If there are 40 people who have good things to say about me, and two have something bad, they print the bad because it's sensational.

TIME: If you could spend 60 seconds talking to the world audience, what would you say about Timothy McVeigh? What would you tell them about what they have been reading about you?

MCVEIGH: I would say don't believe everything you see, or hear or read. Don't judge until you know a person. That is short of 60 seconds, but that would sum it up pretty well.

I in no way believe McVeigh was a psychopath.  This is a man who wrote home while being in the war and was telling his neighbor,(who was like a Mother to him) about children coming up and begging them for food and water and being reprimanded for not ignoring them.  

I am going on memory here so this won't be an exact quote. But he had written something along the lines of- "Here I am a person that can't stand to even see a hungry dog, and I'm having to see starving kids"  

No, in my honest opinion Tim was a kid who joined the ARMY, and was for all accounts the perfect solider. OTHER then he was fucking smart enough to realize that he was fighting a bullshit War. He felt he had been lied to, hyped up in a sense. But when he got over there, what he found was nothing like what he had been told.

Everyone says that he was cold or seemingly uncaring when talking about the bombing, the children killed, etc.  He wasn't cold, he had merely detached/distanced himself from the things he had done. Which by the way he learned from being in the Military. This is a safety measure most people who have seen active combat try to do in an effort to stay sane. So to sum it up, they taught him to kill with no sense of remorse, then only cried foul when he became Karma and gave America a tiny dose of its own medicine. The Government was fine with him being able to ruthlessly kill who they thought needed to die.

Sorry. I feel like I am ranting now, so I'll stop! I get heated quickly. Embarassed Haha

-Unknown

-Jeanne Kalogridis

Last edited by ShadowedGoddess on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:30 am

I couldn't agree more. Evil or Very Mad

-Unknown

-Jeanne Kalogridis

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Chatroom Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 57566

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:41 am

The detachment reminds me of Eric, and we know in his mind he wanted it to be even bigger than Oklahoma City.

I’m learning a lot of new things with these interviews, thank you for posting!!

ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:15 am

The detachment reminds me of Eric, and we know in his mind he wanted it to be even bigger than Oklahoma City.

No problem! Smile Although I seem to have fallen head first down the rabbit hole on this case again. OPPS! Haha

-Unknown

-Jeanne Kalogridis

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:42 am

No problem! Smile  Although I seem to have fallen head first down the rabbit hole on this case again. OPPS! Haha

I found that YouTube has the whole entire James Holmes trial. So I’ve been watching clips over the weekend and going down that rabbit hole too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:21 am

No problem! Smile  Although I seem to have fallen head first down the rabbit hole on this case again. OPPS! Haha

I found that YouTube has the whole entire James Holmes trial. So I’ve been watching clips over the weekend and going down that rabbit hole too.

I have no interest in Holmes. BUT I do wish I could find Timothy McVeigh related things that easily. Sad

Finding anything of merit on Tim is hard. Damn impossible to find his full interviews. Most have had the audio removed or have been so chopped up that you never get to hear what he was actually talking about. Evil or Very Mad

-Unknown

-Jeanne Kalogridis

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:26 am

I have no interest in Holmes. BUT I do wish I could find Timothy McVeigh related things that easily. Sad

Finding anything of merit on Tim is hard. Damn impossible to find his full interviews. Most have had the audio removed or have been so chopped up that you never get to hear what he was actually talking about. Evil or Very Mad

I feel like there should be a lot more information readily available because Oklahoma City is something everybody’s familiar with

I wonder If you can email any of the new stations for Archive footage or something like that? I have been wondering if that’s how we can get the Eric soccer video? I doubt I still have it but I might have that VHS at my moms house. However I won’t be back until the winter. I had a lot of stuff on VHS for research purposes of course.

There’s still things from Columbine that I can’t find I can’t find the news clip where they announce Eric and Dylan’s names . I can’t remember but I know it was from that day it was around the time I get home from school. So it was about 3 PM or so mountain time

I think it was just the time and how long ago everything was. Which sucks cause it’s a part of history.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Neah

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:42 am

I agree, but McVeigh did it for political reasons. Even if Eric had political and ideological opinions that made him see the world a certain way, and made the shooting possible, I think he went NBK only because he wanted to kill. I don't think McVeigh enjoyed killing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:45 am

I don't think McVeigh enjoyed killing.

100% agreed! I believed he saw it as a necessary evil. Sad

-Unknown

-Jeanne Kalogridis

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is a link to the fullest video I have been able to find of Tim's 60 Minutes interview, but even it isn't complete.  I found it on youtube months ago, then the account was terminated for unknown reasons.

This woman evaluates body language. SO why her account was removed is crazy AF, and really makes no sense at all. BUT she made some very good points. Anything related to the bombing is always very one sided. With the only goal being to make you hate McVeigh and see him as some evil, heartless radical.  As always there are two sides to every story. Yet Tim's will likely never be fully heard.  I honestly feel the true story will never come out.  We are getting told ONLY what the government wants us to hear.

Even McVeigh's lawyer Stephen Jones was convinced that Tim was involved in some sort of a government run operation. Then after he was caught, he just protected the others involved, again like a good solider.  Sometimes when the Military send in Special forces they know going into it if they get caught no help is coming and they are on their own. I'm not sure if this is what happened, but it probably isn't to far off from the truth either.

Either way, McVeigh was made into a cruel monster by the media. Sorry I just don't buy that. No way can you watch his interview clips and NOT see clear emotion in his eyes when he is asked certain questions.  

But once again I feel I am hitting my rant mode. So I'll stop right here.

-Unknown

-Jeanne Kalogridis

Last edited by ShadowedGoddess on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:16 pm

Here is just another example of how his words were cut. In most of the other clips you never get to hear his full answer to this question. Not a stretch to say they cut out many, many things that he said or talked about.

I would pay good money to hear the full unedited interview. Evil or Very Mad

-Unknown

-Jeanne Kalogridis

Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:18 pm

The difference is that Eric enjoyed killing while Tim viewed it as just a mission to be carried out.

View user profile
Neah

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:27 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

Here is just another example of how his words were cut. In most of the other clips you never get to hear his full answer to this question. Not a stretch to say they cut out many, many things that he said or talked about.

I would pay good money to hear the full unedited interview.

This video makes me feel sad for him. I obviously think what he did was horrible and unforgivable, but in the same time I think it must be so hard to be left alone in prison with that guilt and not even being able to express yourself and to explain why you did it.

Showing mass murderers as they really are, that is as humans and not mad, savage and cruel people, does not prevent people from having sympathy for the victims. You just better understand why things happen. Medias' description of mass murderers is only based on ten minutes of their life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:05 pm

Medias' description of mass murderers is only based on ten minutes of their life.

Well if they took more than ten minutes to explain something they wouldn't have enough tine to go bitching about something else.

View user profile
W.A.R.
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:22 am

I'd like to note that McVeigh crushes the meme that white people are never considered terrorist.

Neah

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:25 am

McVeigh crushes the meme that white people are never considered terrorist.

Yeah, and Dylann Roof that white people are always punished less by justice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:10 am

McVeigh's drawing kills me every time I see it.  Here you also get a tiny taste of his humor.

While I feel Tim was indeed a very smart guy, it's also very clear his artistic abilities were lacking.Haha

-Unknown

-Jeanne Kalogridis

Last edited by ShadowedGoddess on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Neah

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:13 am

Ahaha, well at least it is cute!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:05 pm

While I feel Tim was indeed a very smart guy, it's also very clear his artistic abilities were lacking.Haha

Lee Boyd Malvo had some good damn drawings, but he was much more unhinged than Tim.

View user profile
sscc
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 28618

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:52 pm

I'm not convinced that Tim wasn't a psychopath. It was my main question after reading his biography because some of his habits and personality traits could suggest that (although others would suggest that he wasn't).

I'm also fairly sure that he knew there was a daycare center in that building and he chose to target it anyway (or possibly because of that). Multiple people said that the daycare was plainly visible from the sidewalk and he scouted more than once. It can never be proven that he knew but it seems hard to believe that he didn't and even upon learning that he had murdered nineteen children, toddlers and infants, he was basically unaffected so it seems that it didn't really concern him.

This article says that out of 7900 federal buildings, there were only about 100 with day care centers. It seems like more than a coincidence that he had over a 98.5% chance of choosing a building without a daycare center as a target but he still managed to chose one where the daycare center was visible to passersby and located directly above where he placed his bomb, and that he later connected the fact that children died there to the military's actions overseas.

I think the most obvious reason that he would choose to specifically murder children is that the US government killed children at both Waco and Ruby Ridge and his motive was, at least in part, revenge for these incidents. It also allowed him to draw attention to the hypocrisy of Americans allowing the government nearly unlimited power to violently subdue its citizens while condemning terrorism that claimed innocent lives. My belief is that he denied knowing about the daycare center in advance because he realized that the media was focusing on the children and he knew that some people who might otherwise be sympathetic to his ideological motivations would have difficulty supporting him if they knew that he did it on purpose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:27 am

I feel McVeigh harbored a true hate for the government that in his mind had tricked him and others into hating a culture of people that had done nothing to hurt him, or his country. I also feel that he blamed the government for turning him into a killer. For doing their dirty work, etc.  He was the perfect solider who came to realize that his pride in his military accomplishments meant very little when you factored in the enormous price his chest full of medals truly had.

I do think it possible that he knew of the daycare, but once again near the end of everything he considered it as collateral damage. After all in his mind the government murdered innocent men, women, and children all the time. He merely followed their example.

What I will never believe is that it didn't effect him. This was a man who as I said had been trained to shut down his emotions, to focus only on the task in front of him, on the mission, etc. Which is what he did despite what it cost him.

I am always struck by the first pictures and videos of him after he was caught. There is nothing on his face. He is absolutely blank, eyes dead, wearing a mask. He retreated deep into himself and locked up tight. He is so shut down emotionally that he looks like a completely different person when compared to these.

And SO much different when compared to these. Here he obviously still had A LOT of pride in himself and in his country for the most part.

I honestly believe Tim's downfall started with his military service. It is a hard thing to realize that your government is so dirty and corrupt, AND that you killed in its name. I can understand his anger. As many people do feel the same way.

I just can't entertain the possibility of him being a psychopath. No, he was made into what the Military wants all their soldiers to be. As I said before the only fault they could find in McVeigh's actions was that he unleashed it on his own government instead of one they would have chosen for him.

-Unknown

-Jeanne Kalogridis

Back to top Go down
View user profile
InsaneIntruder
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 28114

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:03 am

Interesting theory [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (I'd quote your post if it wasn't so long)

Don't push me, ’cause I'm close to the edge
I'm trying not to lose my head
It's like a jungle sometimes
It makes me wonder how I keep from going under"
It's like 2pac said,
when I die I'm not dead.
We are the martyrs,
you're just smashed tomatoes!"
View user profile Online
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh   Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:05 am

Interesting theory [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (I'd quote your post if it wasn't so long)

I get carried away sometimes. Haha

-Unknown

-Jeanne Kalogridis

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Oklahoma city and Tim McVeigh
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next