Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Do you "understand why they did it"?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AntiSocial-MasterDebater

Contribution Points : 3212
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Do you "understand why they did it"?   Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:06 am

The whole sociopathic bullying culture surrounding the school was defiantly a major factor. That, and their perfectly contrasting personality's combining just made for a disastrous combination, as hvernon explained.

Neah
Top Contributor

Contribution Points : 17943

PostSubject: Re: Do you "understand why they did it"?   Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:20 am

I think every person who says "I know why they did it" is probably still wrong at some point.

I can only say "I think I know why they did it.", but I don't think I - nor any of us - can know all the details in their motive. Even Sue is probably not able to perfectly understand her son, despite her having much more information. Maybe we are projecting ourselves into them? People who are or feel bullied may think Eric and Dylan did it because of bullying. People who suffer from mental health, who are depressed may think depression was the reason why.

I don't think they were bullied, even if they were probably annoyed or ashamed at some points, but it was not something regular. I do think it was a mix of reasons, not only one. You don't kill someone because of only one thing. Mental health, loneliness, lack of prospect (in their mind), lack of self-confidence, generalized hate... all these probably took part in the shooting, and probably many more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Emanation of Darkness
Banned

Contribution Points : 3796

PostSubject: Re: Do you "understand why they did it"?   Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:04 pm

I can understand why they wanted to kill people. Even so called "innocents".

The part that is harder for me to empathize with personally is why they actually did this because it meant throwing their lives away.
As my first first therapist said: "If you'll kill a piece of shit, you'll still be held responsible for it as if you killed a human being".

I think one big reason was their interest in True Crime and even more importantly Dylan's interest in New Age ideologies.
I would classify Dylan as a typical New Age suicide cult leader.

For him it wasn't a suicide. It was an ascension into Halcyons. That's one thing that I realised when I was going through Randy Stair's suicide tapes. The idea of ascension into a generic New Age afterlife was a central motivation for Dylan.

For him the killing was merely enforcing his supremacy on Earth before ascending to paradise. Note that dates of his journal entries about killing sprees coincide dates of him being disciplined by authorities - the locker hacking incident and getting caught by police. It shows that being subjected to earthly authority was greatest humiliation to him.

I think that it's possible that Dylan would end up like that even without bullying basing solely on his personality traits and New Age interests.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Do you "understand why they did it"?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2