Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mass murderers who spared people

Go down 
+18
dyonqqr
Luci
HanShotFirst
Futility
EricsToastInTheCaf
6psicótico6orgulhoso6
11B-X-1371
smiggleshamster
DanielGardner
mrbaby56
KMFDM
Primate Murder
Carnifex879
ripbr1999
UncontinuedProcess
Examiner2
QuestionMark
Tommy QTR
22 posters
AuthorMessage
UncontinuedProcess

UncontinuedProcess

Contribution Points : 66332
Forum Reputation : 430

Mass murderers who spared people Empty
PostSubject: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2018 7:16 am

Just thought to compile a list of mass murderers who "spared" people during their massacres. I know the definition of being spared is up for debate, how I see it is that a person who the mass murderer could've easily killed if they wanted to but either decided against it or moved onto bigger targets.  

Eric Harris & Dylan Klebold: Brooks Brown, John Savage, Bree Pasquale, Valeen Schnurr and Evan Todd (Probably forgetting alot of others).

Anders Breivik: 11 year son of Trond Berntsen(One of Ander's first victims on Utøya) and Adrian Pracon.

Robert Steinhäuser: Rainer Heise.

Nikolas Cruz: Chris McKenna.

Mutsuo Toi: Apparently spared a family amid way during his massacre.

Christopher Harper-Mercer: Spared by person, also gave them several papers and a thumb drive.

Dimitrious Pagourtzis: Spared some people that he liked and some others so his "story can be told".

Michael Ryan: Susan Godfrey's (his first victim) children, also reported to have shouted at children playing on his street to get inside before he started shooting on South View and Fairview Road.

Charles Whitman: Cheryl Botts and Don Walden.

John Samir Zawahri: Spared a 41-year-old woman who he forced to drive across town towards Santa Monica College campus.

EricsToastInTheCaf, Mr Bubbless, Employer_Square and NEXT STEP UP like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2018 8:34 am

Dylann Roof spared a woman named Polly Sheppard. He asked here 'Did I shoot you yet?' to which she replied 'No'. Dylann then said 'You're going to tell the story.'
Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

Contribution Points : 91217
Forum Reputation : 575

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2018 11:44 am

Derrick Bird: Told a family of four who offered him assistance when his tyre deflated to leave.

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2018 12:04 pm

Dylan klebold spared a friend named Timothy in the hallways, he also spared some kid named Aaron under a table
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Martin Bryant was said to spare somebody, although this is unconfirmed.
One of the CMR suspects could have easily targeted someone who had suffered torment before, but for some reason he didn't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Ahmed Ibragimov mostly those who were Chechens in his rampage, and only killed Russians.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2018 11:12 am

UncontinuedProcess wrote:
Eric Harris & Dylan Klebold: Brooks Brown, John Savage, Bree Pasquale, Valeen Schnurr and Evan Todd (Probably forgetting alot of others).

You want to get really technical about things you could also count every person they saw but didn't shoot at.

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Pekka Eric Auvinen spared A student's mother during the start of the shooting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2018 5:34 pm

eyutytuheu wrote:
Dylann Roof spared a woman named Polly Sheppard. He asked here 'Did I shoot you yet?' to which she replied 'No'. Dylann then said 'You're going to tell the story.'

I believe more in his own explanation, which is that he didn't shoot her because she looked at him in the eyes.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2018 6:17 pm

Neah wrote:
eyutytuheu wrote:

I believe more in his own explanation, which is that he didn't shoot her because she looked at him in the eyes.

This reminds me that James Holmes said he spared someone hiding in-between a couple of seats for much the same reason. 

EricsToastInTheCaf likes this post

Back to top Go down
Examiner2

Contribution Points : 54771
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Randy "King of Cringe" Stair - Kristan Newell
Back to top Go down
UncontinuedProcess

UncontinuedProcess

Contribution Points : 66332
Forum Reputation : 430

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2018 11:09 am

QuestionMark wrote:
UncontinuedProcess wrote:

You want to get really technical about things you could also count every person they saw but didn't shoot at.

You could but that'll take forever plus the people, thought the ones I originally listed were basically face to face with E&D during the massacre and are more well known to have been spared by them.

QuestionMark wrote:
Neah wrote:
eyutytuheu wrote:

This reminds me that James Holmes said he spared someone hiding in-between a couple of seats for much the same reason. 

not just by looking at Holmes in the eyes but weirdly enough smiling at him which even James Holmes thought was confusing as hell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2019 11:42 am

Apparently one of the Suzano shooters spared a canteen worker:

"The person who had contact with the shooter was the canteen worker. She was behind a refrigerator and said the shooter entered the room. She was praying and begged for the shooter not to kill her. The shooter passed his hand in the worker's head and said he was going to do nothing with her and exited. She saw him reloading his firearm."

Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
ripbr1999

ripbr1999

Contribution Points : 58089

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Enesbrietchvonfrederitch wrote:
Apparently one of the Suzano shooters spared a canteen worker:

"The person who had contact with the shooter was the canteen worker. She was behind a refrigerator and said the shooter entered the room. She was praying and begged for the shooter not to kill her. The shooter passed his hand in the worker's head and said he was going to do nothing with her and exited. She saw him reloading his firearm."

Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They also spared the sister of the third person involved in the massacre that aided them in planning.
Back to top Go down
Carnifex879
Hayden Jagst
Former Top 10 Contributor

Carnifex879

Contribution Points : 67522
Forum Reputation : 391
Location : Gretchen Whitler's People's Republic of "The Mitten"

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Dylann Roof spared a woman named Polly Sheppard.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2019 2:21 pm

The Charlie Hebdo shooters spared a woman because she was a woman.

Here is Wolinski's wife writing about it in her book "Darling I'm going to Charlie":

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Henry DeWitt spared James Williamson
Back to top Go down
Primate Murder
Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

Contribution Points : 63358
Forum Reputation : 446

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 3:16 pm

Faisal Hussain spared a witness named Jaspal Singh.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Carnifex879 likes this post

Back to top Go down
KMFDM

Contribution Points : 47993
Forum Reputation : 55

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 4:20 pm

William Atchison spared everyone except two students and himself.

"The solution is Walther." -Matti Juhani Saari

EricsToastInTheCaf, DanielBryer, Fedz-Manz, anna444 and Arkan like this post

Back to top Go down
mrbaby56

mrbaby56

Contribution Points : 61345

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 7:51 pm

Anton Lundin Petterson spared a lot of people during his rampage. He even notoriously took a pic with two of them (after he had already mortally wounded one victim).

Back to top Go down
DanielGardner

DanielGardner

Contribution Points : 55650
Forum Reputation : 83

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 10:30 pm

Kip Kinkel spared a student who knew him as he walked into the school, telling him to get out of there because something bad was gonna happen
Back to top Go down
smiggleshamster

smiggleshamster

Contribution Points : 44419

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Dylann Roof, the AME Church Shooter spared Polly Sheppard, who was in the church during the shooting (obviously) after he asked her if he shot her yet, to which she said no. After she replied he said something along the lines of "I'll leave you here to tell the story."

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Primate Murder
Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Jason Dalton spared a bunch of people. He even gave them a ride in his Uber.

Back to top Go down
11B-X-1371

11B-X-1371

Contribution Points : 48605
Forum Reputation : 27

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 4:13 pm

TheOne99 wrote:
Pekka Eric Auvinen spared A student's mother during the start of the shooting
He also entered a classroom full of students and only fired two shots, one aimed at a TV and the other at a window.

6psicótico6orgulhoso6

Contribution Points : 44735

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 10:56 am

As David Sonboly finished loading his Glock 17 in the bathroom of the Mcdonalds he shoot up he was suprised by a young boy walking in on him. Instead of shooting him tho he just pointed his pistol on him and said "Peng" before walking past him to the table with his first 5 victims.
Im not sure if he just did that to not draw attention to himself so earlie or maybe because he actually didnt want to kill anyone so young but i would consider him to have spared the child.

"Never lose hope, be persistent and stubborn and never give up. There are many instances in history where apparent losers suddenly turn out to be winners unexpectedly, so you should never conclude all hope is lost." Theodor Kaczynski

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 10:05 am

George Hennard spared a mother and daughter
Back to top Go down
Primate Murder
Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2019 1:19 am

David Katz spared the person he lost to.

EricsToastInTheCaf and DanielBryer like this post

Back to top Go down
Primate Murder
Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2019 1:20 am

The 2017 London Bridge Attackers spared an unknown man. The unknown man even got into a conversation with Rachid Redouane.

Contribution Points : 55738

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 10:10 pm

Examiner2 wrote:
Randy "King of Cringe" Stair - Kristan Newell

Yep and it's kind of odd because he was so obsessed with infamy. Four murders as opposed to three would have gone a long way towards that. We'll never know why he didn't kill her. Maybe he saw that she wasn't aware the shooting was underway because of the headphones/earphones she was listening to music on, and he figured he could move on and kill the others or shoot at stuff and then come back for her and by the time he came back she had heard the shots and hid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 10:08 pm

Last edited by Alex213 on Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carnifex879
Hayden Jagst

Carnifex879

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 5:15 pm

The 2019 Dyke Industries stabber, Antwann Brown (failed mass killer) stabbed 5 people and told one woman “I’ll spare you this time”.

Futility

Contribution Points : 37462
Forum Reputation : 105

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 8:08 am

The Driver who drove Kretschmer arround didnt get killed by him,so i guess this count as "sparing". Lanza didnt kill the Girl who was hiding in the Bathroom in Room 8. Edit: I guess that Lanza didnt even know that the Girl was alive After he shot so many children in Room 8,so he doesnt count.
Back to top Go down
Carnifex879
Hayden Jagst

Carnifex879

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2020 9:35 pm

One of the Charlie Hebdo shooters spared Sigolène Vinson because she was a woman and told her to convert to Islam.

Carnifex879
Hayden Jagst

Carnifex879

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2020 11:38 pm

Albert Wong spared the lives of all veterans at the Yountville Veterans Home before he killed 3 clinicians and himself.

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2020 6:23 am

N/A

Last edited by Duluth on Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Primate Murder
Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 3:19 am

Omar Thornton spared two handicapped employees.

Back to top Go down
HanShotFirst
Top Contributor
HanShotFirst

Contribution Points : 63612
Forum Reputation : 1210

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 5:32 am

He spares people everyday that he leaves his house and doesn't lose his temper.

EricsToastInTheCaf, Carnifex879, beautifullyunconventional, forDiesel, Killisaki, asanopark, MilverSoxie and like this post

Back to top Go down
Luci

Luci

Contribution Points : 39303
Forum Reputation : 68

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 10:01 pm

Chris Harper Mercer spared one student's life so he(the student) could deliver Mercer's package to the police.

“There isn’t an open sky or endless field to be found where I reside, not is there light or salvation to be discovered. Right about now I feel as low as I ever have. So fucking naive man, so fucking naive. Always expecting change when I know nothing ever changes… I sacrifice no more for others, part of me has fucking died and I hate this shit. I’m living every mans nightmare and that single fact alone is kicking my ass.”
-Jeff Weise

Back to top Go down
Luci

Luci

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2020 3:43 pm

Gilbert Twigg spared a group of boys before he went on his rampage because he "had no desire to hurt them".

“There isn’t an open sky or endless field to be found where I reside, not is there light or salvation to be discovered. Right about now I feel as low as I ever have. So fucking naive man, so fucking naive. Always expecting change when I know nothing ever changes… I sacrifice no more for others, part of me has fucking died and I hate this shit. I’m living every mans nightmare and that single fact alone is kicking my ass.”
-Jeff Weise
Back to top Go down
dyonqqr

dyonqqr

Contribution Points : 39459
Forum Reputation : 150

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 9:53 am

Marc Lepine spared all the males in the class.
Jon Romano passed Mr. Talowsky by because he liked him.
Tim Kretschmer threatened the person whose car he hijacked but did not hurt him.
Anthony "T.J." Solomon shot low so he would only injure, not kill.
Sulejmen Talovic seems to have spared someone, from the official report. Can't be certain he just didn't see her, though: I can only imagine how high stress a shooting must be from everyone's perspective.

Back to top Go down
dyonqqr

dyonqqr

Contribution Points : 39459
Forum Reputation : 150

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2021 11:36 am

Nathan Chiasson: Spared a man who said he was Muslim and said a prayer.
Anders Breivik: Encountered a civilian holding a bunch of roses when walking away from his car bomb. He decided he was not a threat and let him live, but only after considering whether he should kill him or not.

Back to top Go down
Luci

Luci

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2021 10:06 pm

Micheal Ryan: Dorothy Smith("Ryan was chastised by 77-year-old Dorothy Smith for "scaring everybody to death" for making noise, although he did not shoot her.")

-Jeff Weise

EricsToastInTheCaf and Arano like this post

Back to top Go down
Employer_Square

Contribution Points : 33405
Forum Reputation : 79

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2021 11:00 pm

Bai Ningyang spared the life of a child who’s parents he knew during the Shiguan Kindergarten gasoline attack.He let him leave the room before he lit the gasoline he had poured onto the floor of the room,which would cause the death of 12 children.It’s quite a brutal yet fascinating story.It’s a shame there isn’t much out there about it but thats China for you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

EricsToastInTheCaf and dyonqqr like this post

Back to top Go down
Achlys

Achlys

Contribution Points : 19172
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2022 9:31 pm

Payton Gendron: Spared a white victim and apologized for shooting him.
Tobias Rathjen: Spared a Turk who had blue eyes.
Jennifer San Marco: Forced an employee to give her his identification badge at gunpoint and then told him to leave.
Jake Davison: Spared a passing resident who he told "nothing to worry about, mate."

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kaynhyde

Kaynhyde

Contribution Points : 21849
Forum Reputation : 289

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 11:41 am

Luci wrote:
Micheal Ryan: Dorothy Smith("Ryan was chastised by 77-year-old Dorothy Smith for "scaring everybody to death" for making noise, although he did not shoot her.")

An elderly woman tells the man with a Kalashnikov and who had just killed a dozen people that “he’s scaring” people, what could get more British?
Back to top Go down
ZELLAweistDAY3

ZELLAweistDAY3

Contribution Points : 25113
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 8:27 pm

Wellington Menezes de Oliveira: According to witnesses, he selectively shot women in fatal areas and boys in non-lethal areas, one kid He said that after being wounded, Wellington approached him and said "calm down, fat boy, I'm not going to kill you", then he left and let him live, another girl who survived pretended to be dead, Wellington approached her and said, "you're very pretty, aren't you dead yet? Well now you will be", then shot her several times in the face but she survived
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mass murderers who spared people   Mass murderers who spared people Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mass murderers who spared people
Page 1 of 1