Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Would you buy books about the massacre or would you prefer to read official documents that are free?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rik75

PostSubject: Would you buy books about the massacre or would you prefer to read official documents that are free?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:48 am

I considered buying several books about the massacre ,then i found out that the official documents ,such as the 11K Report provide a wealth of official info and are free of charge. I am a bit skeptical about any Authors primary motive ,which for some are monetary gain. So i ask ,why should i pay money for a book ,when i can download thousands of official documents for free? What do you prefer ? Costly books or free of charge official documents?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rik75

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy books about the massacre or would you prefer to read official documents that are free?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:31 pm

Also ,one has to" put up with" an authors personal interpretation, opinions and emotions. IMO official documents are free of all that jazz.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy books about the massacre or would you prefer to read official documents that are free?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:36 pm

Whatever you do, DON'T buy "Columbine" by Dave Cullen.

queenfarooq

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy books about the massacre or would you prefer to read official documents that are free?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I considered buying several books about the massacre ,then i found out that the official documents ,such as the 11K Report provide a wealth of official info and are free of charge. I am a bit skeptical about any Authors primary motive ,which for some are monetary gain. So i ask ,why should i pay money for a book ,when i can download thousands of official documents for free? What do you prefer ? Costly books or free of charge official documents?
I agree that the 11k provides a wealth of information and it's great that we have free unlimited access to this extensive document. But at the same time there are huge redacted / missing parts, mistakes and witness statements that had dramatically changed upon a second interview. However I do think this document is an extremely valuable tool for researchers, but in my opinion just because it is "official" doesn't mean every single thing printed is true. Sometimes reading these documents confuses me more and raises even more questions. Having said that though it is a great tool to use for sources / references and as i mentioned before for research.

I personally have a number of books about Columbine that contain information that may be under reported or not mentioned in the official documents.
I don't think i prefer one or the other. In fact sometimes I wished more people did read the official documents before believing everything they read in some of the Columbine books, Dave Cullen as an example. We discussed some of the Columbine books here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which may be of use to read if you are thinking of buying a specific book. Also Brooks Brown's book is available in various locations for free to read online, I think it's easy to find if you do a quick Google search. From time to time there are always people looking to sell their Columbine books on amazon / ebay where you could pick them up far cheaper than from a book store.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rik75

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy books about the massacre or would you prefer to read official documents that are free?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:43 pm

I agree that the 11k provides a wealth of information and it's great that we have free unlimited access to this extensive document. But at the same time there are huge redacted / missing parts, mistakes and witness statements that had dramatically changed upon a second interview. However I do think this document is an extremely valuable tool for researchers, but in my opinion just because it is "official" doesn't mean every single thing printed is true. Sometimes reading these documents confuses me more and raises even more questions. Having said that though it is a great tool to use for sources / references and as i mentioned before for research.

I personally have a number of books about Columbine that contain information that may be under reported or not mentioned in the official documents.
I don't think i prefer one or the other. In fact sometimes I wished more people did read the official documents before believing everything they read in some of the Columbine books, Dave Cullen as an example. We discussed some of the Columbine books here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which may be of use to read if you are thinking of buying a specific book. Also Brooks Brown's book is available in various locations for free to read online, I think it's easy to find if you do a quick Google search. From time to time there are always people looking to sell their Columbine books on amazon / ebay where you could pick them up far cheaper than from a book store.
Hi queenfarooq, thank you for the links. I think i will have a look at Brooks Brown's book and see what he has to say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
em81

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy books about the massacre or would you prefer to read official documents that are free?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:08 pm

Best book about Columbine I read, is Jeff Kass book. I got to know much stuff that I didn´t know before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
queenfarooq

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy books about the massacre or would you prefer to read official documents that are free?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:09 pm

Best book about Columbine I read, is Jeff Kass book. I got to know much stuff that I didn´t know before.
I also personally enjoyed this book and I would recommend it to others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rik75

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy books about the massacre or would you prefer to read official documents that are free?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi em81 ,thanks ,i shall have a mooch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Would you buy books about the massacre or would you prefer to read official documents that are free?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1