Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Why did adam lanza leave nothing behind?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DanielGardner

Contribution Points : 4071

PostSubject: Why did adam lanza leave nothing behind?   Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:59 pm

Adam Lanza was succesful in getting a large kill count, and targeted younger children in order to get even more attention. However he didnt make any videos, he didnt write a manifesto, didnt leave a journal, he didnt even leave a note. He was extremely familier with other mass shooters, and must have known that those who do leave videos/writings are more talked about. For example elloot rodger left much evidence behind and as a result there are several youtube channels (basedshaman, mumkey jones) that to this day, years after the incident, make content discussing him and analyzing what he left behind. (I know elliot rodger happened after sandy hook, but still.) if adam wanted maximum casualties, and maximum fame, why didnt he leave anything behind? Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UncontinuedProcess
Top Contributor

Contribution Points : 13903

PostSubject: Re: Why did adam lanza leave nothing behind?   Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:34 pm

I don't think Adam's goal was to be famous, it was all about committing mass murder and killing himself, he probably knew that crime would be pretty notorious but he seem to didn't really care about it. If he did I'm pretty sure he would left some note or manifesto like Cho did. I don't he solely targeted children for attention alone but since they were unfortunately easier targets for him handle compared to older teenagers which couldve fought back but its hard to say if they definitely would but it probably factored in Adam's final decision to attack an elementary school.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emanation of Darkness
Banned

Contribution Points : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Why did adam lanza leave nothing behind?   Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:05 am

I think he targeted children out of sadism.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDragonoid

Contribution Points : 1887

PostSubject: Re: Why did adam lanza leave nothing behind?   Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:35 am

Maybe Lanza actually knew that people are getting more aware about all this want for infamy that mass shooters appear to have, and he tried to adapt to that. Maybe it was all a very complicated plan to make him even more infamous - standing out for being one of the very few shooters that "wasn't interested in fame and glory". I mean, the guy was clearly pretty intelligent.

Some kind of reverse psychology, perhaps?

And thinking like a devil"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yogananda

Contribution Points : 2320

PostSubject: Re: Why did adam lanza leave nothing behind?   Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Personally, I Believe that Adam at least considered emulating what other similar mass shooters had left behind; specifically pictures of themselves holding weapons i.e. Seung Hui Cho. I believe that the proof of this consideration comes from the fact that ‘manifesto’ or ‘iconographic’ images were deliberately taken by Adam of himself dressed in the outfit he wore during the attack, as well as with photos of himself with his weapons pointed at his head.

As to why Adam didn’t compile this into a manifesto, of some other document/exposure piece as seen with other mass shooters; it’s all purely conjecture. In my opinion, Adam saw little point in working on something that he would not see any results from, or served him no purpose. Which I think is a behaviour demonstrated through Adam’s habit of retroactively removing forum posts and perhaps even the contents of his hard drive, they served no purpose and in his desire to control every aspect of his life, it was easier to just remove them.

As to why he did any of this, your guess is as good as mine. But I do believe Adam at least contemplated leaving something, took the photos as some sort of experiment and then forgot about them, which led to them being found (if I recall correctly, the hard drive containing the phots was in the cupboard of the room containing the gun safe)

A very good question I’ve often considered myself though, so I’m interested to hear the thoughts of others.

TL;DR Adam considered leaving behind at least some photos, didn’t like how they turned out/their value and forgot about them

Last edited by Yogananda on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Devil

Contribution Points : 11466

PostSubject: Re: Why did adam lanza leave nothing behind?   Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:17 pm

Here is an interesting quote from Smiggles/Adam Lanza written on SBB:

"One of the major reasons why Columbine is still a (relatively) popular topic in recent years
is because of the potential it allows for speculation. This would not exist if they had lived
because their actual thoughts and experiences, the contents of the basement tapes/Nixon
tape, and everything like that would probably be well-known." - Smiggles

I believe he wants us to speculate about his motive.

There is some information regarding Lanza, but it's inconclusive for a motive.

Source to the quote: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kathericat

Contribution Points : 5202

PostSubject: Re: Why did adam lanza leave nothing behind?   Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Thanks, "Devil", for linking us to it. I happen to agree with you on Adam Lanza wanting us to speculate and wonder about his motive, but I suspect that there was also another reason for that: to create more of a mystery about himself. Personally, I think it's a basic human nature to want to solve mysteries, and I think Adam Lanza knew about that. After all, if the Basement Tapes had been released early on - there probably wouldn't be as many "Columbiners" as there are nowadays. The mystery of the Basement Tapes is part of the mystique for some.

There was a thread discussing Adam Lanza's e-mail and people wanting to obtain access to it, and there are people wanting to read the files on his computer. Myself included, honestly. I like to learn about people, especially infamous people.

Apologies if I've gotten anything wrong in this, and hope you're all having a nice enough week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why did adam lanza leave nothing behind?   

Back to top Go down

Why did adam lanza leave nothing behind?
Page 1 of 1