Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vallutaja

Contribution Points : 1205

PostSubject: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:44 pm

"The amount of dramatic irony and foreshadowing is fucking amazing. Everything I see and I hear I incorporate into NBK somehow. Either bombs, clocks, guns, napalm, killing people, any and everything finds some tie to it. feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes."
Quote of last Eric's journal's entry is kinda relateable to me. It gets me in some way that I find hard to express (especially since I'm not native english speaker Smile) Can you feel the Spirit, the Power behind those words? Ever in your life have you felt like this? Like being a main character of some high budget blockbuster. It happened to me few times in my life, and it felt really great, I was able to impress people around me "beyond fucking belief" and felt like a king. When I see Eric writing something like this in his diary, I know he would never stop at this point, just because he felt like he was following some greater design. Even if his parents died few days before massacre, even if Susan Dewitt had sex with him instead of just letting kiss her in a cheek, it wouldn't stop him. By his own being he knew it was his best and only way to come to a full self-realization.

The self-importance feeling. I believe the people who are on the top of the food chain for the majority of their lives have an easier and sort of all-time access to this feeling like their lives matter. And here we have two smart young people with strong will who turned out to be betas in the school they were studying in for 4 years. In the age of puberty, in the age when most fun things in your life are supposed to happen. "I hate you people for leaving me out so many fun things". Both Dylan and Eric write in their diaries that if there were a girl who loved them and had sex with them, all of this probably wouldn't happen. Something like jocks have for free, "two uncoolest kids in the school" only meet dissapointments and humiliations trying to get it. Add the bullying to it, which probably leaves a stamp on you for the rest of your life if you happen to stay in this town after school? Which leaves a stamp in your heart as well, making you think like you are a worse human, weaker one, unworthy. Look at it from a girl perspective, would you ever like to be with a guy who been pushed into locker in front of your eyes, called names and beaten, who clearly can't defend himself and you as well? Yes, some girls may be smarter than this, but not many, and I am pretty sure that was what Eric and Dylan thought. It's funny and kinda unhealthy how now, AFTER what they did, so many girls feel romantic towards them. I would remind all these girls that you would NEVER feel like this if they did not kill 15 people, and if you were in the same school with them, you'd probably never notice them or would treat them like "uncoolest kids" like everyone else. Such is the truth.

Back to the "movies" theme. Considering how Eric and Dylan called their judgement day NBK, and how many countless times they refer to NBK in their diaries, why noone mentions it? Is it so obvious that they got inspired by this movie that everyone ignores it naturally? I mean, obviously what they did is the complex thing, and media praising cruelty and violence surely gave them a lot of inspiration, one simply cannot deny the fact. And how they dreamt of someone making movie about them as well. NBK, Doom, their favourite bands, all of that played it's part despite them denying the fact. Nowadays people don't take media that seriously as we are full of it, but back then, 20 years ago all of it was so new and could leave a huge impression in teens' minds.

As to summarize it all, I can kinda see why Eric and Dylan did it. The athlete cult and them being on the bottom of the food chain. They saw jocks doing awful stuff and getting away with it, and they realized that this is how the life works, how it's going to be further on, how stronger ones dominate and live at the weaker one's expense. How being smart and good what you are good in doesn't change anything, and only physical power and insolence granted by nature matters. Considering there also could ve been some sort of hierarchy and hazing depending on what year you are studiyng, Eric probably expected to have a better treatment in his senior year and when he didn't get it, he dissapointed in himself one last time. "If you people treated me more like senior, maybe I wouldn't have been as ready to tear your fucking heads off", he says in his journal. They both knew there was no other way to shake the state of things in their school, in nature, in life itself, they stacked anger and insults for a long time and wanted to kick start an event that would AT LEAST somehow shake the world and make people think how to change it all for better, make people admit there are problems being. And I can't help myself but deeply sympathize them for their effort, for that bravery and sacrificing their own lives to make a teacher who ignores a bullying in front of his eyes to DO SOMETHING against a bully. To take off privileges of athletes and stop considering them as higher beings, like seriously, athletes are not anything useful for a human race, cybersport is more spectacular as a show nowadays than a football, what's so good about men running on a football field, or beating hell of each other on the ring lol.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdamnLanza

Contribution Points : 1272

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:49 am

"Ever in your life have you felt like this? Like being a main character of some high budget blockbuster. It happened to me few times in my life, and it felt really great, I was able to impress people around me "beyond fucking belief" and felt like a king. "

Just sounds like egotism to me. Everyone is the main character in the story of their lives, nothing special.

"It's funny and kinda unhealthy how now, AFTER what they did, so many girls feel romantic towards them. I would remind all these girls that you would NEVER feel like this if they did not kill 15 people, and if you were in the same school with them, you'd probably never notice them or would treat them like "uncoolest kids" like everyone else. Such is the truth."

I have often thought that had they not committed their massacre, none of us would have known who they were, we wouldn't be here discussing them now, wouldn't have seen their photos, videos, writings, etc, so they did get the infamy they were hoping for to an extent. All the same though, I feel if they had been in a different school environment, they would have had a better time, at least socially or romantically.

"Back to the "movies" theme. Considering how Eric and Dylan called their judgement day NBK, and how many countless times they refer to NBK in their diaries, why noone mentions it? Is it so obvious that they got inspired by this movie that everyone ignores it naturally? I mean, obviously what they did is the complex thing, and media praising cruelty and violence surely gave them a lot of inspiration, one simply cannot deny the fact. And how they dreamt of someone making movie about them as well. NBK, Doom, their favourite bands, all of that played it's part despite them denying the fact. Nowadays people don't take media that seriously as we are full of it, but back then, 20 years ago all of it was so new and could leave a huge impression in teens' minds."

What are you talking about, no one mentions it? That simply isn't true at all. People talk about Natural Born Killers in relation to Eric and Dylan a whole lot. And 20 years ago all the media was new? What on earth are you talking about. Movies have been common place all throughout the 20th century. Same with music in recorded form, for video games you might have more of a point but even then they've been around in basic form since the seventies.

"for that bravery and sacrificing their own lives to make a teacher who ignores a bullying in front of his eyes to DO SOMETHING against a bully. To take off privileges of athletes and stop considering them as higher beings"

But that didn't happen. At all. In the post columbine years people who were different like Eric and Dylan were persecuted even more so, and the whole "jock culture" thing hasn't changed a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pixie13

Contribution Points : 4305

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:49 am

This seems like typical incel nonsense: "Look at it from a girl perspective, would you ever like to be with a guy who been pushed into locker in front of your eyes, called names and beaten, who clearly can't defend himself and you as well? Yes, some girls may be smarter than this, but not many, and I am pretty sure that was what Eric and Dylan thought."

There were probably girls that would date Eric and Dylan despite witnessing their bullying, but they probably wouldn't be considered "good enough: by Eric and Dylan. Almost *all* teenagers are tormented by unrequited love of some sort (and I am talking from the perspective of someone who was a pretty and reasonably popular girl at school/6th form), it wasn't a unique part. However, regardless of whether they were bullied, it was not the fault of the girls who rejected them that Eric and Dylan went on a rampage. Same with Elliot Rodger and his BS. Nobody owes you sex, especially not in high school where the moment you put out, you are derided as a slut.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miketheratguy

Contribution Points : 5309

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:24 am

Eric and Dylan had persecution issues. They didn't just have it out for jocks, they had it out for anyone who they felt was beneath them. Being "self-aware" was a point of intense pride for them, especially Eric. Their hatred was constantly voiced against what they perceived to be the mediocrity of humanity, not bullies. Bullies were just one of many groups that they considered too shitty to exist.

As for whether getting girls and having sex could have stopped them from doing what they did, that's just an excuse. If they'd have put half as much focus into getting girlfriends as they did into planning their massacre they would have been laid a dozen times throughout high school. Hell, I was shy as fuck and an awkward geeky goofball who didn't know how to even look at a woman and I still managed to lose my virginity by 16. What they were going to do was inevitable because they'd already made it up in their minds that they were better than the world around them and wanted to send a message to it on their way out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 72065

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:05 am

Why are so many people fixated on the virginity thing?

Also Columbine was a very religious and conservative place, there probably wasn’t a ton of orgies happening

There’s nothing wrong with you if you graduate high school a virgin and it’s dangerous to perpetuate this...

I also think Robyn might have been able to talk Dylan into something

Though I doubt she’s going to write something for cosmo about taking Dylan’s virginity but he still tried to blow up the school..

miketheratguy

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:44 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Why are so many people fixated on the virginity thing?

There’s nothing wrong with you if you graduate high school a virgin and it’s dangerous to perpetuate this...

Of course there isn't. I was responding to the OP's comment regarding Eric and Dylan's desire for companionship as a deterrent to the massacre. My point was that if this was something they longed for so deeply that it could have been powerful enough to stop them then they should have put more effort into pursuing that instead of murder. The virginity comment was just a self-effacing way to say that if my geeky ass could do it then I'm sure they could have too. That the lack of having accomplished it isn't an excuse for the massacre.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:10 am

I think Eric wanted to lose his virginity more than Dylan.

I only say that because Dylan seemed very guilty about masturbating and other things most teenaged boys do. I think at the end he was way too far gone. He was focused on the afterlife and meeting up with his halcyon girl.

I understand joking around I apologize. It often pops into my head that I’m surprised no one picked up on Dylan’s BDE... I blame a certain website for showing screen caps that I now cannot unsee ....

miketheratguy

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:30 am

I only say that because Dylan seemed very guilty about masturbating and other things most teenaged boys do. I think at the end he was way too far gone. He was focused on the afterlife and meeting up with his halcyon girl.

I understand joking around I apologize. It often pops into my head that I’m surprised no one picked up on Dylan’s BDE... I blame a certain website for showing screen caps that I now cannot unsee ....

Nothing to apologize for, I think you just misunderstood my context at first. I wasn't trying to imply that there's something wrong with graduating high school a virgin, I was just arguing that if E&D had directed their intense drive and energy into finding female companionship instead of planning a massacre then they probably would have found it.

I think Eric was more concerned about it as well. He seemed to be "looking" for something out of life more than Dylan did. The masturbating thing is weird, I've met people who are encouraged not to masturbate because of religious reasons. I personally find that kind of logic harmful but that's just my opinion. As for BDE, all I can go by is the autopsy which bothered to point out that they were both of normal size. Man, how different their legacies would have been (and how different the explanation for their massacre would be) if the autopsies revealed something less flattering than that. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:34 am

Nothing to apologize for, I think you just misunderstood my context at first. I wasn't trying to imply that there's something wrong with graduating high school a virgin, I was just arguing that if E&D had directed their intense drive and energy into finding female companionship instead of planning a massacre then they probably would have found it.

I think Eric was more concerned about it as well. He seemed to be "looking" for something out of life more than Dylan did. The masturbating thing is weird, I've met people who are encouraged not to masturbate because of religious reasons. I personally find that kind of logic harmful but that's just my opinion. As for BDE, all I can go by is the autopsy which bothered to point out that they were both of normal size. Man, how different their legacies would have been (and how different the explanation for their massacre would be) if the autopsies revealed something less flattering than that. Smile

Oh so true all of the above Smile

I’m only going off of the screen grabs and the fact that I’ve dated guys over 6 foot tall and you know....

miketheratguy

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:39 am

Oh so true all of the above Smile

I’m only going off of the screen grabs and the fact that I’ve dated guys over 6 foot tall and you know....

It's not the size of the tide it's the motion of the ocean, baby. afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ShadowedGoddess
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 74417

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:05 am

thread sneaker

''I have been astonished that men could die martyrs for religion—I have shuddered at it. I shudder no more—I could be martyred for my religion—Love is my religion—I could die for that.''                                                                                                                                      
                                                        -John Keats (1795-1821)

“Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.”

- Anaïs Nin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:06 am

thread sneaker

Lol

Embarassed

miketheratguy

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:10 am

I personally feel that we've elevated the dignity of this thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Vallutaja

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:33 pm

As for whether getting girls and having sex could have stopped them from doing what they did, that's just an excuse. If they'd have put half as much focus into getting girlfriends as they did into planning their massacre they would have been laid a dozen times throughout high school. Hell, I was shy as fuck and an awkward geeky goofball who didn't know how to even look at a woman and I still managed to lose my virginity by 16. What they were going to do was inevitable because they'd already made it up in their minds that they were better than the world around them and wanted to send a message to it on their way out.
Google "Survivorship bias".
"If I can, then everyone could". No. That's untrue.
To be honest, I don't think getting hooked up in their senior year would stop them from doing what they've planned, by that time it was probably too late already. Having no love and no sex wasn't the only reason for them to do what they did, but it played it's part. If there was someone who loved them throughout their school years, it could ve been lot different, do you agree?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdamnLanza

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:30 pm

To be honest, I don't think getting hooked up in their senior year would stop them from doing what they've planned, by that time it was probably too late already. Having no love and no sex wasn't the only reason for them to do what they did, but it played it's part. If there was someone who loved them throughout their school years, it could ve been lot different, do you agree?

They did have people that loved them, their families, and Robyn Anderson wanted to jump Dylan's bones, so no agreement here. Your interpretation of the events seems incredibly naive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vallutaja

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:44 pm

They did have people that loved them, their families, and Robyn Anderson wanted to jump Dylan's bones, so no agreement here. Your interpretation of the events seems incredibly naive.
When your mom is only woman that loves you, that's kinda what makes you want to kill yourself rather than supports. And Robyn doesn't look like a girl you'd want to hang out with, it seems like they were only happy to use her to get guns. I see a hypocrisy in your speakings and trying to offend me rather than trying to find out the truth. What makes you want to offend me, I wonder? Is it how you try to disprove to yourself that girls in the age of puberty are a huge matter?
Well, if they aren't, why then is the half of Dylan's diary is about his suffering from not being able to find love. Doesn't it strike your eye, whenever you start reading it. I think it was same or even worse for Eric, it's just he probably considered it was beneath his dignity to talk about in his diary when he expected people to read it afterwards. Nevertheless, he mentions the issue too, and even says that all of this could be avoidable himself if only.. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miketheratguy

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:40 pm

You missed the point of my post. Eric and Dylan had an incredible amount of focus and dedication for the things that interested them. Doom, their writing, planning the killing, etc. They were obsessive about multiple topics. What I was saying earlier is that I was much more shy and introverted than they were and I still managed to land a relationship. I had several girlfriends in high school and I was an awkward kid with clinically diagnosed anxiety problems. Granted I was a cute kid, but Eric and Dylan were good looking kids too. They were also driven, highly intelligent, and had a network of friends and associates as well as peers who engaged in the same school activities that they did. I'd say that these factors made pretty fertile ground for opportunities.

If, with all these factors at play as well as E&D's obsessive intensity AND a strong desire to find companionship was somehow not enough for SOMETHING to have happened within the course of four years then I can only assume that they were either doing something wrong or not trying very hard. If they were too shy then fine, that's understandable, shyness can be really hard to overcome. But to then say that having a girl who loved them could have prevented the massacre is a cop-out. That's a lack of accountability. That's blaming someone else for one's own failures. Distilling that logic down to its core would be the equivalent of someone going on a killing spree because the pretty girl didn't ask him out.

Eric and Dylan seemed to think that they were privileged beings and that the world owed them something. It's not hard for me to imagine them sitting there writing about how much they hated humanity and waiting for a loving relationship to fall into their laps. Could it have been different if they had loving girlfriends? Possibly. Maybe they would have "softened up", maybe they would have been able to divert their attention from hatred to love. But then again maybe girlfriends would have just prolonged the inevitable. Maybe they would have discovered how angry Eric and Dylan were and left them, adding even more fuel to the fire. Maybe the relationships would have been fleeting and unsuccessful, like most teenage relationships are, leading to Eric and Dylan hating humanity (or perhaps themselves) even more.

I think that it would have taken a lot more than a high school romance to sway Eric and Dylan from doing what they did. Would it have helped? Assuming that the relationships would have been mutually satisfying then sure, they could have been happier people with more to do and something extra to live for. Do I personally believe that it would have prevented the Columbine massacre or some other potential violence at a later time? No.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
AdamnLanza

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:41 pm

When your mom is only woman that loves you, that's kinda what makes you want to kill yourself rather than supports. And Robyn doesn't look like a girl you'd want to hang out with, it seems like they were only happy to use her to get guns. I see a hypocrisy in your speakings and trying to offend me rather than trying to find out the truth. What makes you want to offend me, I wonder? Is it how you try to disprove to yourself that girls in the age of puberty are a huge matter?
Well, if they aren't, why then is the half of Dylan's diary is about his suffering from not being able to find love. Doesn't it strike your eye, whenever you start reading it. I think it was same or even worse for Eric, it's just he probably considered it was beneath his dignity to talk about in his diary when he expected people to read it afterwards. Nevertheless, he mentions the issue too, and even says that all of this could be avoidable himself if only.. LOL

They had fathers that loved them too, they had friends, and as for Robyn, to each their own, I think she seems like a lovely girl. Not trying to "offend you", just speaking my mind on a public forum.

Of course the two pubescent boys had sexual urges, no one here is trying to deny that. You even said yourself if they'd gotten laid in their senior year it wouldn't have stopped them, and that it didn't play a big part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vallutaja

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:33 pm

You missed the point of my post. Eric and Dylan had an incredible amount of focus and dedication for the things that interested them. Doom, their writing, planning the killing, etc. They were obsessive about multiple topics. What I was saying earlier is that I was much more shy and introverted than they were and I still managed to land a relationship. I had several girlfriends in high school and I was an awkward kid with clinically diagnosed anxiety problems. Granted I was a cute kid, but Eric and Dylan were good looking kids too. They were also driven, highly intelligent, and had a network of friends and associates as well as peers who engaged in the same school activities that they did. I'd say that these factors made pretty fertile ground for opportunities.

If, with all these factors at play as well as E&D's obsessive intensity AND a strong desire to find companionship was somehow not enough for SOMETHING to have happened within the course of four years then I can only assume that they were either doing something wrong or not trying very hard. If they were too shy then fine, that's understandable, shyness can be really hard to overcome. But to then say that having a girl who loved them could have prevented the massacre is a cop-out. That's a lack of accountability. That's blaming someone else for one's own failures. Distilling that logic down to its core would be the equivalent of someone going on a killing spree because the pretty girl didn't ask him out.

Eric and Dylan seemed to think that they were privileged beings and that the world owed them something. It's not hard for me to imagine them sitting there writing about how much they hated humanity and waiting for a loving relationship to fall into their laps. Could it have been different if they had loving girlfriends? Possibly. Maybe they would have "softened up", maybe they would have been able to divert their attention from hatred to love. But then again maybe girlfriends would have just prolonged the inevitable. Maybe they would have discovered how angry Eric and Dylan were and left them, adding even more fuel to the fire. Maybe the relationships would have been fleeting and unsuccessful, like most teenage relationships are, leading to Eric and Dylan hating humanity (or perhaps themselves) even more.

I think that it would have taken a lot more than a high school romance to sway Eric and Dylan from doing what they did. Would it have helped? Assuming that the relationships would have been mutually satisfying then sure, they could have been happier people with more to do and something extra to live for. Do I personally believe that it would have prevented the Columbine massacre or some other potential violence at a later time? No.
As for me, "to soften up" was exactly what Eric needed. Psychologically, to me it looks like his person consisted of straight lines and steel kernels, which is partly provided by his military father (yes, military people are special in some aspects). Eric must ve been suffering from some serious inferiority issues and bullying more than other people would because of his inner personal structure. When being under pressure, what is soft just changes it's shape, and what is hard breaks down. Seems to me like Eric been broken down a lot. Add to that, he was a small guy (smaller than his father even?), physically weak, and also had a hollow chest, and been mocked and bullied for this? He probably felt not all that confident when engaging a female, just thinking what would she say when she sees the chest of his. Most likely he had issues interacting with opposite sex. And having someone to soften him up, to show him that he would be loved unconditionally as he is could probably help. Not just that, but also someone to release his energy with in an, hm, ultimate way, let's put it so. Preparing the shooting took a lot of time, lot of effort, if part of his energy was taken and redirected to love goals, he probably just wouldn't have enough left to do bad stuff, and his resolve would melt.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
miketheratguy

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:21 pm

As for me, "to soften up" was exactly what Eric needed. Psychologically, to me it looks like his person consisted of straight lines and steel kernels, which is partly provided by his military father (yes, military people are special in some aspects). Eric must ve been suffering from some serious inferiority issues and bullying more than other people would because of his inner personal structure. When being under pressure, what is soft just changes it's shape, and what is hard breaks down. Seems to me like Eric been broken down a lot. Add to that, he was a small guy (smaller than his father even?), physically weak, and also had a hollow chest, and been mocked and bullied for this? He probably felt not all that confident when engaging a female, just thinking what would she say when she sees the chest of his. Most likely he had issues interacting with opposite sex. And having someone to soften him up, to show him that he would be loved unconditionally as he is could probably help. Not just that, but also someone to release his energy with in an, hm, ultimate way, let's put it so. Preparing the shooting took a lot of time, lot of effort, if part of his energy was taken and redirected to love goals, he probably just wouldn't have enough left to do bad stuff, and his resolve would melt.

If Eric had been able to find a happy romantic relationship (or even just a sexual one) for himself I do think it would have helped, but I don't think that it would have had the profound effect that you think it would. Eric was being consumed by his dark thoughts and emotions. It pretty much defined his entire character by the end. That stuff had been building for a very long time and seemed to take very little to exacerbate. The guy was a ticking time bomb, and you don't come down from that easily. It would be nice to imagine that if only he'd had a girl to care for him the entire crisis could have been averted but the sad truth is that people don't change that easily. Eric's problems ran deep.

Love might have softened him but it also would have brought new complications into his life. It's not hard to imagine a person as obsessive and angry as him turning that anger and obsession towards his partner. I also remember one of his diary entries being a lengthy stream of consciousness rant that weaved back and forth between sex and brutal violence, indicating that he probably wouldn't have turned into the kind of sweetheart that a girl would want to stick with for long. Most of all though, you have to remember that most high school relationships are bullshit. They'e happening between kids, not adults. Their brains haven't even finished developing yet. They have no context for the greater world beyond themselves. They lack experience and maturity. You speak of unconditional love, which is indeed a wonderful thing to work for, but high school kids don't even have the capacity to understand unconditional love. They're not developed enough as human beings to truly grasp and explore the gravity of what feelings of that depth entail.

I get what you're saying and I think that the questions you raise are valid. I just don't believe that Eric nor the girls surrounding him were equipped to form a relationship containing the kind of depth and emotional profundity that would be necessary to snuff the flame of a dynamite wick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
cakeman

Contribution Points : 4885

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:20 am

Honestly "no one owes you sex" just seems like a cliche and a cope and appeal to consequences. "But if that's true, women are partially to blame for something, and that can't be true".  Also to blame "slut shaming" for male loneliness in 2018  is just lol and what I would expect the television to say.  Have we still not noticed that "It's okay to be a slut" would and does get a high school or university faculty to throw you a parade, and "it's okay to be a white male" would and does get treated like a terrorist threat?

As Rodger would be fond of pointing out, "sexual liberation" or whatever means more lonely men, not less. Those women not 'slut shamed' would end up with the jocks presumably. Have a bridge on the Moon to sell you if you think their feeling of failure with women or Columbine in general could have happened in the era pre multikulti sexual revolution, during the peak of 'slut shaming' (also known as all of Western history before ~1965).

We are a 'social species' as they say. People aren't meant to live alone and never reproduce, and the species producing 50% men and 50% women and at least in the West practicing monogamy isn't a coincidence. If eventually having a mate isn't a birthright, nothing is. Perhaps no one person in particular owes it to you, but it is owed to you by somebody. 

Frankly, it seems less a product of "slut shaming" and more a product of men being viewed as disposable.  A lot more sperm than eggs, men are the ones who fight in wars and die on the job to protect the women, the ones more often left single and homeless, etc; and they are the ones told they have no right to think they deserve a companion. I don't think any little girl dreaming of a prince charming husband would be told such a vile thing.

Perhaps it is silly to blame unrequited love alone for the massacre, but if you think Dylan was the one who came up with the idea (which is probably true), and fail to notice the main source of his pain is his loneliness then nothing I say will change your mind. "The lonely man strikes with absolute rage" - Dylan. I would see significance in his having to "go NBK" with Eric rather than a girl beyond just "Dude no girl is going to go on a murderous rampage with you."

Now I'll get a basket to catch the tomatoes tossed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Off Topic Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 34034

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:58 am

I don't think love would have made a difference for Dylan. He was looking for a kind of love that most likely didn't exist at the high school level, and perhaps had he lived he would have never found. It seems to me that Dylan stuck any girl he was interested in on a pedestal. He worshipped the ground she walked on for a bit gushing over her in his writings, then cast her aside for a different love. Going on to write that the first girl was not who he thought she was.

The kind of love Dylan wanted was not something a 17 year old girl could provide. And I think had he found love with someone he wrote about or just in general it would have failed to live up to his expectations and he would be left even more angry.

As far as Eric, while I don't think love was as important to him as Dylan, I see it more of an excuse. Eric was seemingly grasping at straws to stay alive at times. "If you gave me compliments" "if I had a girlfriend" "if I had sex" "if you treated me like a senior" "if you invited me to parties" if if if if if. Eric would have come up with a million if statements to justify his anger. I don't think anything would have helped him after 1998. All those things could have come true, he could have Brandi on his side going to parties and being the most popular guy in school and he would still have those thoughts that humanity needed to die.

View user profile
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:33 am

I don't think love would have made a difference for Dylan.  He was looking for a kind of love that most likely didn't exist at the high school level, and perhaps had he lived he would have never found.  It seems to me that Dylan stuck any girl he was interested in on a pedestal.  He worshipped the ground she walked on for a bit gushing over her in his writings, then cast her aside for a different love.  Going on to write that the first girl was not who he thought she was.

The kind of love Dylan wanted was not something a 17 year old girl could provide.  And I think had he found love with someone he wrote about or just in general it would have failed to live up to his expectations and he would be left even more angry.  

As far as Eric, while I don't think love was as important to him as Dylan, I see it more of an excuse.  Eric was seemingly grasping at straws to stay alive at times.  "If you gave me compliments" "if I had a girlfriend" "if I had sex" "if you treated me like a senior" "if you invited me to parties"  if if if if if.  Eric would have come up with a million if statements to justify his anger.  I don't think anything would have helped him after 1998.  All those things could have come true, he could have Brandi on his side going to parties and being the most popular guy in school and he would still have those thoughts that humanity needed to die.  

I completely agree.

For Dylan I definitely think he made a better friend to girls and he would made an actual boyfriend.I do low-key wish I knew why Sasha liked Dylan more

As for Eric I think you’re right I don’t think love could’ve dulled all the things that were going on in his head. To am extent I also don’t think Eric couldn’t have gotten a relationship that he wanted in high school. Because he seemed to always be pushing for a deeper connection as we read in his AOL chats. However he seemed to go for the stereotypical busty and bubbly girls. Not saying brandy wasn’t smart she could’ve been on the honor roll for all I know

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:06 am

I don't think love would have made a difference for Dylan.  He was looking for a kind of love that most likely didn't exist at the high school level, and perhaps had he lived he would have never found.  It seems to me that Dylan stuck any girl he was interested in on a pedestal.  He worshipped the ground she walked on for a bit gushing over her in his writings, then cast her aside for a different love.  Going on to write that the first girl was not who he thought she was.

The kind of love Dylan wanted was not something a 17 year old girl could provide.  And I think had he found love with someone he wrote about or just in general it would have failed to live up to his expectations and he would be left even more angry.  

As far as Eric, while I don't think love was as important to him as Dylan, I see it more of an excuse.  Eric was seemingly grasping at straws to stay alive at times.  "If you gave me compliments" "if I had a girlfriend" "if I had sex" "if you treated me like a senior" "if you invited me to parties"  if if if if if.  Eric would have come up with a million if statements to justify his anger.  I don't think anything would have helped him after 1998.  All those things could have come true, he could have Brandi on his side going to parties and being the most popular guy in school and he would still have those thoughts that humanity needed to die.  

I completely agree.

For Dylan I definitely think he made a better friend to girls and he would made an actual boyfriend.I do  low-key wish I knew why Sasha liked Dylan more

As for Eric I think you’re right I don’t think love could’ve dulled all the things that were going on in his head. To am extent  I also don’t think Eric couldn’t have gotten a relationship that he wanted in high school. Because he seemed to always be pushing for a deeper connection as we read in his AOL chats. However he seemed to go for the stereotypical busty and bubbly  girls. Not saying brandy wasn’t smart she could’ve been on the honor roll for all I know

The cockroach story tells me what I need to know about Brandi lol.

View user profile
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:09 am

I completely agree.

For Dylan I definitely think he made a better friend to girls and he would made an actual boyfriend.I do  low-key wish I knew why Sasha liked Dylan more

As for Eric I think you’re right I don’t think love could’ve dulled all the things that were going on in his head. To am extent  I also don’t think Eric couldn’t have gotten a relationship that he wanted in high school. Because he seemed to always be pushing for a deeper connection as we read in his AOL chats. However he seemed to go for the stereotypical busty and bubbly  girls. Not saying brandy wasn’t smart she could’ve been on the honor roll for all I know

The cockroach story tells me what I need to know about Brandi lol.  

Lol

QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 34667

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:14 pm

If eventually having a mate isn't a birthright, nothing is. Perhaps no one person in particular owes it to you, but it is owed to you by somebody. 

But the question is who? Who's going to be the "lucky" lady that has to have sex and enter a relationship with a potential mass shooter? What happens if the relationship is unhappy, or even outright abusive? And what happens if it doesn't work out and the guy goes on a killing spree anyway?

These are questions that need answering before we can say "we can put this theory to the test".

View user profile
Vallutaja

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Psychologically I see it if Dylan were to exaggerate like this that terrestrial girls are just not enough for him, he would only do it to justify his inability to make it with these real terrestrial girls he liked. It's a typical way any human acts when he can't get something - well, I'm just too good for it, I didn't really want it and so on. He got just too much involved in this exaggerating with Eric what eventually lead them into making NBK come true Suspect Then again, he writes two very sentimental love letters in his diary, did he ever send them to the girl he liked? And did he ever get any response? The second one looks like he really wanted some kind of response and probably didn't get it.
And those love letters issue extremely shy, subtle and vulnerable nature of his. Something to think about and match with Sue telling us about that episode in cafe iirc when he thought kids were laughing at him when in reality they didn't even pay attention to him.

After 1998, yes, they got too much involved into NBK, I think the turning point was when they got guns, that made them overconfident and started feel "like a goddamn movie to them". They weren't doubting and overlooking it much in 1999, altthough Eric still felt a lot of remorse, and if anyone were to know their plans, he could stop them from doing what they did. The way they murdered people, I can't help myself but think they were overcoming themselves just to follow the idea and come to an end of what they planned for so long. They only killed 3 people outside of the library with all the arms they had. And bombs in cafeteria didn't blow up as they planned for some reason. Could it be one of them (possibly Dylan?) last moment sabotaged them in secret from other just not to kill 200 people? Unlikely of course, but still with all the bombs they had, noone died from bombs that day. I do think they kind of suffered inside and struggled with their human nature killing people in library as well. They took strength to do it from looking to each other and showing off to each other, and it still it probably felt horrible to them. After they ve let John Savage go, Eric would probably didn't kill Daniel Mauser if he didn't push chair against him and jump him. And that was his last murder. That's just my speculations though.

Even if nothing much could stop them in 1999, every year before anything could go different, if they fit in school society better, if they had better success with girls, if they were better at sports, weren't bullied and thrown tampons with ketchup on, who knows.. Sometimes a simple thing could change one's life drastically, think of it as butterfly effect, Eric was a good talented student, he was probably smart enough to find his place in life and fit in perfectly if he lived through school years. His anger would melt with time if he found a better and unharmful ways to express it, and as his puberty hormone splashes would go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:15 am

Psychologically I see it if Dylan were to exaggerate like this that terrestrial girls are just not enough for him, he would only do it to justify his inability to make it with these real terrestrial girls he liked. It's a typical way any human acts when he can't get something - well, I'm just too good for it, I didn't really want it and so on. He got just too much involved in this exaggerating with Eric what eventually lead them into making NBK come true Suspect Then again, he writes two very sentimental love letters in his diary, did he ever send them to the girl he liked? And did he ever get any response? The second one looks like he really wanted some kind of response and probably didn't get it.
And those love letters issue extremely shy, subtle and vulnerable nature of his. Something to think about and match with Sue telling us about that episode in cafe iirc when he thought kids were laughing at him when in reality they didn't even pay attention to him.

After 1998, yes, they got too much involved into NBK, I think the turning point was when they got guns, that made them overconfident and started feel "like a goddamn movie to them". They weren't doubting and overlooking it much in 1999, altthough Eric still felt a lot of remorse, and if anyone were to know their plans, he could stop them from doing what they did. The way they murdered people, I can't help myself but think they were overcoming themselves just to follow the idea and come to an end of what they planned for so long. They only killed 3 people outside of the library with all the arms they had. And bombs in cafeteria didn't blow up as they planned for some reason. Could it be one of them (possibly Dylan?) last moment sabotaged them in secret from other just not to kill 200 people? Unlikely of course, but still with all the bombs they had, noone died from bombs that day. I do think they kind of suffered inside and struggled with their human nature killing people in library as well. They took strength to do it from looking to each other and showing off to each other, and it still it probably felt horrible to them. After they ve let John Savage go, Eric would probably didn't kill Daniel Mauser if he didn't push chair against him and jump him. And that was his last murder. That's just my speculations though.

Even if nothing much could stop them in 1999, every year before anything could go different, if they fit in school society better, if they had better success with girls, if they were better at sports, weren't bullied and thrown tampons with ketchup on, who knows.. Sometimes a simple thing could change one's life drastically, think of it as butterfly effect, Eric was a good talented student, he was probably smart enough to find his place in life and fit in perfectly if he lived through school years. His anger would melt with time if he found a better and unharmful ways to express it, and as his puberty hormone splashes would go.

I think the bombs failed because Eric thought he was an expert and didn't test his bombs, he took shortcuts and didn't follow the recipe in the book and his bombs sucked. Dylan didn't help at all with the bombs either I believe due to sheer laziness. He didn't want to do any extra work or spend any extra money on it.

I don't think anything short of Eric staying either in MI or NY would have stopped this. The second Eric moved to CO and got buddy buddy with Dylan the fate was sealed. Had he not moved I think Dylan would still have had his anger but a regular suicide would probably be his choice of leaving this earth...that or he would have had to "endure" his "suffering" for those years.

View user profile
hvernon

Contribution Points : 20992

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Do we even wanna know what these screen caps were off? LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine   

Back to top Go down

feels like a Goddamn movie sometimes (c) My few thoughts on Columbine
Page 1 of 1