Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Panel Discussion

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4310
Contribution Points : 72065
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Panel Discussion   Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi everyone!

Good news and bad news. Bad news is about 7 of us with panel tickets were not given movie tickets due to some mishap. We then didn’t have enough time to be put first on the waitlist because we had to travel 3 miles from the panel back to the theater. So a lot of us were unable to see the movie including me Sad  You bet I wrote a very stern complaint letter.

Good news is that I did go to the panel and I did ask a question and Frank DeAngelis answered and said hello to me later. They did film it  so if you find it you may see me.... I just got my haircut yesterday


Randy Brown was at the movie and panel yesterday and commented on it on the movies official page. He said there was no mention of e and d or the victims. Principal DeAngelis states in the movie that there were “rumors of bullying” and randy called him on it and he admitted there was a culture of bullying. He said the focus was mostly on the four freshmen and what they went through after. So it’s more of a feel good, uplifting movie and well done.  He did say that principal DeAngelis still kind of put up a front. No insight really into the case. A lot about how there were really no resources to deal with the tragedy after. Like counseling etc..

A common theme was back then the kids wanted to be left alone and some didn’t want to talk to their parents about what they went through because they didn’t want to upset them.

There is also a lot of regret expressed about the time it took for swat  to come in and help.

The filmmaker said a lot of survivors didn’t want to talk about it nor be put on camera.

I of course took some notes!

The film maker Laura did talk about How she didn’t feel like kids should’ve been interviewed right after and how they were unreliable narrator’s. They did talk a bit about politics gun control. A lot of people on the panel had said it was probably breakdown of the family etc. principal DeAngelis started talking about video games and how he thought that might be a culprit....

Laura also talked about how a lot of people were just told to be sad don’t fight back. I think some people forget that Devon Adams did go to Washington with a bunch of people to talk about gun control. It’s surprising that No one ever mentions that. She met President Clinton, There is a picture of her with them.

The panel was Principal DeAngelis, a first responder , a teacher who was there that day named Kiki , a Mental health professional, and Laura the filmmaker she was a freshman


They also talked about how they wanted to encourage  students to speak up that they’re worried. That struck me as important because I remember Nate said in an nterview that the adults weren’t worried about Dylan and Eric so why should I have been?

Principal DeAngelis Also said he felt like it happened  today he would’ve been fired, He also said he felt like he was really hands-on and he was always in the cafeteria and in the classrooms. But I gritted my teeth because we all know he  saw the bullying happened  and he didn’t do anything about it. I’m not even talking about specific incidents I’m talking about the pervasive culture that  people talk about.


I was so nervous when I was asking my question. I first asked about out reach to  other students that might not show red flags but how did things change after with the way people treated each other. And I also asked about the media coverage and how they think it might’ve gotten better after columbine because of the fact that there were so many copycats and we have so much information on them. And I had shared a story about how I remember where i was when it happened.

Principal DeAngelis Answered and he said that after it happened he would go out to the skate park and smokers  pit and kind of reach out and talk to people and they said we still don’t feel welcomed at the school and he wanted to try to make everyone feel included. To be honest he looked like he was pretty much in tears the whole time.

And so we have notes from ScreamingOphelias second Columbine related panel....

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."


Last edited by Screamingophelia on Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miketheratguy

avatar

Posts : 201
Contribution Points : 5309
Join date : 2018-10-16
Age : 40
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Wow, thanks for the nice write-up! It sounds like there were some good conversations taking place and I'm glad that they addressed the pervasiveness of rumors and misinformation in the initial aftermath.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Neah
Top Contributor
avatar

Posts : 833
Contribution Points : 16443
Join date : 2018-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks! I am sorry you couldn't see the movie. But it seems that the panel discussion was very interesting. I don't think I would have been brave enough to ask a question, so well done! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4310
Contribution Points : 72065
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:57 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Thanks! I am sorry you couldn't see the movie. But it seems that the panel discussion was very interesting. I don't think I would have been brave enough to ask a question, so well done! Smile

I was shaking, a I was so nervous. Which is odd because I don’t get stage fright

I am genuinely happy I went to the panel discussion

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Neah
Top Contributor
avatar

Posts : 833
Contribution Points : 16443
Join date : 2018-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Thanks! I am sorry you couldn't see the movie. But it seems that the panel discussion was very interesting. I don't think I would have been brave enough to ask a question, so well done! Smile

I was shaking, a I was so nervous. Which is odd because I don’t get stage fright

I am genuinely happy I went to the panel discussion

This is the feeling you get when you reveal to the world your huge expertise and thirst for knowledge about Columbine. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4310
Contribution Points : 72065
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Thanks! I am sorry you couldn't see the movie. But it seems that the panel discussion was very interesting. I don't think I would have been brave enough to ask a question, so well done! Smile

I was shaking, a I was so nervous. Which is odd because I don’t get stage fright

I am genuinely happy I went to the panel discussion

This is the feeling you get when you reveal to the world your huge knowledge and thirst for knowledge about Columbine. Very Happy

If I can be honest with you I almost quoted an interview with Nate Dykeman  from 1999. I almost brought up when he mentioned that none of the adults were worried about Eric and Dylan so why should he be

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Off Topic Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2149
Contribution Points : 34034
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:38 am

I am glad you went to the panel. Sad you didn't get to see the movie. I am going to be looking for that footage lol.

_________________
Hold me now I need to feel complete
Like I matter to the one I need
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2664
Contribution Points : 34667
Join date : 2017-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:31 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Principal DeAngelis states in the movie that there were “rumors of bullying” and randy called him on it and he admitted there was a culture of bullying.

[…]

principal DeAngelis started talking about video games and how he thought that might be a culprit....

What a pig headed idiot. Too cowardly to admit that the shitty atmosphere he helped foster might've played a contributing factor into the deaths of fourteen of the students he was supposed to look after and a teacher. Nope, gotta blame those darn vidya games instead.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 6163
Contribution Points : 74417
Join date : 2017-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Principal DeAngelis states in the movie that there were “rumors of bullying” and randy called him on it and he admitted there was a culture of bullying.

[…]

principal DeAngelis started talking about video games and how he thought that might be a culprit....

What a pig headed idiot. Too cowardly to admit that the shitty atmosphere he helped foster might've played a contributing factor into the deaths of fourteen of the students he was supposed to look after and a teacher. Nope, gotta blame those darn vidya games instead.


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  I have to agree.  

After all these years some are STILL trying to make that school seem like it was the best place in the world! Rolling Eyes  Even if the bullying that E&D went through isn't very high on the list of why I think they planned and followed through with the attack, it was still a factor.

Also there is enough evidence from other people inside that school to make anyone saying "Oh no, there was no bullying. The entire school was like a huge loving family" sound utterly fucking stupid. Evil or Very Mad

_________________
''I have been astonished that men could die martyrs for religion—I have shuddered at it. I shudder no more—I could be martyred for my religion—Love is my religion—I could die for that.''                                                                                                                                      
                                                        -John Keats (1795-1821)

“Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.”

                                                        - Anaïs Nin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2664
Contribution Points : 34667
Join date : 2017-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Principal DeAngelis states in the movie that there were “rumors of bullying” and randy called him on it and he admitted there was a culture of bullying.

[…]

principal DeAngelis started talking about video games and how he thought that might be a culprit....

What a pig headed idiot. Too cowardly to admit that the shitty atmosphere he helped foster might've played a contributing factor into the deaths of fourteen of the students he was supposed to look after and a teacher. Nope, gotta blame those darn vidya games instead.


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  I have to agree.  

After all these years some are STILL trying to make that school seem like it was the best place in the world! Rolling Eyes  Even if the bullying that E&D went through isn't very high on the list of why I think they planned and followed through with the attack, it was still a factor.

Also there is enough evidence from other people inside that school to make anyone saying "Oh no, there was no bullying. The entire school was like a huge loving family" sound utterly fucking stupid. Evil or Very Mad

What really ticks me off is that he's trying to posit that pretend video game violence caused more of a factor than the actual, physical violence of getting pushed into lockers, punched, kicked, having garbage thrown at you, etc. It's just ludicrous to me that he'd employ such a weak, baseless deflection of his poor administrative record.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4310
Contribution Points : 72065
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Principal DeAngelis states in the movie that there were “rumors of bullying” and randy called him on it and he admitted there was a culture of bullying.

[…]

principal DeAngelis started talking about video games and how he thought that might be a culprit....

What a pig headed idiot. Too cowardly to admit that the shitty atmosphere he helped foster might've played a contributing factor into the deaths of fourteen of the students he was supposed to look after and a teacher. Nope, gotta blame those darn vidya games instead.


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  I have to agree.  

After all these years some are STILL trying to make that school seem like it was the best place in the world! Rolling Eyes  Even if the bullying that E&D went through isn't very high on the list of why I think they planned and followed through with the attack, it was still a factor.

Also there is enough evidence from other people inside that school to make anyone saying "Oh no, there was no bullying. The entire school was like a huge loving family" sound utterly fucking stupid. Evil or Very Mad

What really ticks me off is that he's trying to posit that pretend video game violence caused more of a factor than the actual, physical violence of getting pushed into lockers, punched, kicked, having garbage thrown at you, etc. It's just ludicrous to me that he'd employ such a weak, baseless deflection of his poor administrative record.


I don’t understand why after all this time he can’t admit that the school had problems. Instead of trying to blame everything else but not admit that there was a toxic culture. Not the whole reason of course but a mitigating factor

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 6163
Contribution Points : 74417
Join date : 2017-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:18 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Principal DeAngelis states in the movie that there were “rumors of bullying” and randy called him on it and he admitted there was a culture of bullying.

[…]

principal DeAngelis started talking about video games and how he thought that might be a culprit....

What a pig headed idiot. Too cowardly to admit that the shitty atmosphere he helped foster might've played a contributing factor into the deaths of fourteen of the students he was supposed to look after and a teacher. Nope, gotta blame those darn vidya games instead.


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  I have to agree.  

After all these years some are STILL trying to make that school seem like it was the best place in the world! Rolling Eyes  Even if the bullying that E&D went through isn't very high on the list of why I think they planned and followed through with the attack, it was still a factor.

Also there is enough evidence from other people inside that school to make anyone saying "Oh no, there was no bullying. The entire school was like a huge loving family" sound utterly fucking stupid. Evil or Very Mad

What really ticks me off is that he's trying to posit that pretend video game violence caused more of a factor than the actual, physical violence of getting pushed into lockers, punched, kicked, having garbage thrown at you, etc. It's just ludicrous to me that he'd employ such a weak, baseless deflection of his poor administrative record.


I don’t understand why after all this time he can’t admit that the school had problems. Instead of trying to blame everything else but not admit that there was a toxic culture. Not the whole reason of course but a mitigating factor

Also true. But it seems the passing years hasn't lessened their need to downplay what the school was truly like during that time. No

_________________
''I have been astonished that men could die martyrs for religion—I have shuddered at it. I shudder no more—I could be martyred for my religion—Love is my religion—I could die for that.''                                                                                                                                      
                                                        -John Keats (1795-1821)

“Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.”

                                                        - Anaïs Nin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2664
Contribution Points : 34667
Join date : 2017-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:11 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I don’t understand why after all this time he can’t admit that the school had problems.

Cause then he'd have to accept responsibility and the guilt that comes with it.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
milennialrebelette



Posts : 34
Contribution Points : 2440
Join date : 2018-10-28
Age : 27
Location : Littleton, CO

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:24 pm

Was the teacher Mr. Leyba? He teaches English. I had him he was awesome. Very good about inspiring creativity.

Now back to read all the other comments....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
milennialrebelette



Posts : 34
Contribution Points : 2440
Join date : 2018-10-28
Age : 27
Location : Littleton, CO

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:44 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Hi everyone!
A lot about how there were really no resources to deal with the tragedy after. Like counseling etc..

A common theme was back then the kids wanted to be left alone and some didn’t want to talk to their parents about what they went through because they didn’t want to upset them.

Principal DeAngelis Also said he felt like it happened  today he would’ve been fired, He also said he felt like he was really hands-on and he was always in the cafeteria and in the classrooms. But I gritted my teeth because we all know he  saw the bullying happened  and he didn’t do anything about it. I’m not even talking about specific incidents I’m talking about the pervasive culture that  people talk about.

Principal DeAngelis Answered and he said that after it happened he would go out to the skate park and smokers  pit and kind of reach out and talk to people and they said we still don’t feel welcomed at the school and he wanted to try to make everyone feel included. To be honest he looked like he was pretty much in tears the whole time.

And so we have notes from ScreamingOphelias second Columbine related panel....

To answer these points, there was counseling provided after, but it was one of those things you had to reach out for. I think my sister said she did some stuff at church, since she was a Confirmation group leader, our Priest really tried to reach out to the kids at Columbine who made up a big chunk of the congregation. However it was very religious in nature, like God does things for a reason have faith. I know that's why the Mauser family left Cabrini/the Catholic church. Danny had been in my brothers confirmation group. This was apparently common in a lot of the different churches, since Littleton is already super religious to start with and the churches hijacked the narrative after so often, a lot of kids tried to fit in by following what the churches said. But the pastors weren't there, easy for them to say God always has a plan when you didn't see your best friends face blown off, etc.

But since so many kids didn't want to talk to their parents, they didn't really get long term counseling outside the informal meet ups after. A lot of the services kind of dried up after a year or two, there was a lot of fighting among victims families, survivors, the authorities in the paper, which I think burnt a lot of people in the metro area out as far as keeping services going. Again this is just what I've heard from my older siblings and people at Church. My sister tried so hard to do the religious thing for her senior year. She started drinking really heavily and by the time she went to CU she was a full blown alcoholic and hooked up with random frat boys. Stuff like that. I had no idea until recently she struggled like that. She's married with little girls now and living a really good life but she said it took time and she can still be easily triggered with the news. My brother had tried to wrestle his freshman year but kind of drifted off, starting smoking weed, hanging out at the skate park. He lives in Fort Collins now and has a good job with computers. My sister says he's still never been the same, our mom being so sick for so long and dying didn't help.

My sister also said it was the graduating seniors that probably had it hardest, her friends who graduated in 1999 had the most problems. Some didn't even go back to classes after the shooting when they reopened at Chatfield, and were off on their own in the world. They were "adults" so they tried to be responsible for their own issues when they'd really just been regular kids when it happened. This awesome girl Heather from the senior class of 1999 started the Rebel Project, a support group for mass shooting survivors. I know they helped a lot of the Aurora theater shooting survivors.

As far as Mr. D. When I was there he was super active trying to be everywhere. I think some of the worst bullying didn't happen in front of him. Like I said personally he was so wonderful to me, and still is. He just emailed me the other day to check in on me and my siblings, since my mom died the year after I graduated and had been sick forever. He goes to my church, Cabrini, and like I said my oldest sister was a varsity pom and very involved in the school which may have put me and my family on his radar?

I have hard time reconciling the guy I know with all the horrible stories, but I do believe them. My brother has even mentioned some of them. I think if anything he was naive. When he was around the halls the kids showed him what he wanted to see and he didn't dig any deeper than that. He is truly traumatized and is really trying. I have a lot of sympathy for him the way I do the Harrises and especially the Klebolds. Yes they made mistakes. No they're not horrible malicious people. I do think he's spent his entire life since trying to atone for what happened. It in no way changes the past or makes up for the mistakes, but at least he is trying you know.

A lot of it goes back to the age old problem of adults relating to teenagers. Whether it's about opening up about their problems after the shooting or bullying in the halls, there's always a disconnect of some sorts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Off Topic Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2149
Contribution Points : 34034
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:19 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Hi everyone!
A lot about how there were really no resources to deal with the tragedy after. Like counseling etc..

A common theme was back then the kids wanted to be left alone and some didn’t want to talk to their parents about what they went through because they didn’t want to upset them.

Principal DeAngelis Also said he felt like it happened  today he would’ve been fired, He also said he felt like he was really hands-on and he was always in the cafeteria and in the classrooms. But I gritted my teeth because we all know he  saw the bullying happened  and he didn’t do anything about it. I’m not even talking about specific incidents I’m talking about the pervasive culture that  people talk about.

Principal DeAngelis Answered and he said that after it happened he would go out to the skate park and smokers  pit and kind of reach out and talk to people and they said we still don’t feel welcomed at the school and he wanted to try to make everyone feel included. To be honest he looked like he was pretty much in tears the whole time.

And so we have notes from ScreamingOphelias second Columbine related panel....

To answer these points, there was counseling provided after, but it was one of those things you had to reach out for. I think my sister said she did some stuff at church, since she was a Confirmation group leader, our Priest really tried to reach out to the kids at Columbine who made up a big chunk of the congregation. However it was very religious in nature, like God does things for a reason have faith. I know that's why the Mauser family left Cabrini/the Catholic church. Danny had been in my brothers confirmation group. This was apparently common in a lot of the different churches, since Littleton is already super religious to start with and the churches hijacked the narrative after so often, a lot of kids tried to fit in by following what the churches said. But the pastors weren't there, easy for them to say God always has a plan when you didn't see your best friends face blown off, etc.

But since so many kids didn't want to talk to their parents, they didn't really get long term counseling outside the informal meet ups after. A lot of the services kind of dried up after a year or two, there was a lot of fighting among victims families, survivors, the authorities in the paper, which I think burnt a lot of people in the metro area out as far as keeping services going. Again this is just what I've heard from my older siblings and people at Church. My sister tried so hard to do the religious thing for her senior year. She started drinking really heavily and by the time she went to CU she was a full blown alcoholic and hooked up with random frat boys. Stuff like that. I had no idea until recently she struggled like that. She's married with little girls now and living a really good life but she said it took time and she can still be easily triggered with the news. My brother had tried to wrestle his freshman year but kind of drifted off, starting smoking weed, hanging out at the skate park. He lives in Fort Collins now and has a good job with computers. My sister says he's still never been the same, our mom being so sick for so long and dying didn't help.

My sister also said it was the graduating seniors that probably had it hardest, her friends who graduated in 1999 had the most problems. Some didn't even go back to classes after the shooting when they reopened at Chatfield, and were off on their own in the world. They were "adults" so they tried to be responsible for their own issues when they'd really just been regular kids when it happened. This awesome girl Heather from the senior class of 1999 started the Rebel Project, a support group for mass shooting survivors. I know they helped a lot of the Aurora theater shooting survivors.

As far as Mr. D. When I was there he was super active trying to be everywhere. I think some of the worst bullying didn't happen in front of him. Like I said personally he was so wonderful to me, and still is. He just emailed me the other day to check in on me and my siblings, since my mom died the year after I graduated and had been sick forever. He goes to my church, Cabrini, and like I said my oldest sister was a varsity pom and very involved in the school which may have put me and my family on his radar?

I have hard time reconciling the guy I know with all the horrible stories, but I do believe them. My brother has even mentioned some of them. I think if anything he was naive. When he was around the halls the kids showed him what he wanted to see and he didn't dig any deeper than that. He is truly traumatized and is really trying. I have a lot of sympathy for him the way I do the Harrises and especially the Klebolds. Yes they made mistakes. No they're not horrible malicious people. I do think he's spent his entire life since trying to atone for what happened. It in no way changes the past or makes up for the mistakes, but at least he is trying you know.

A lot of it goes back to the age old problem of adults relating to teenagers. Whether it's about opening up about their problems after the shooting or bullying in the halls, there's always a disconnect of some sorts.

While I would consider myself religious I think it is super sad that that seemed to be the only option. I myself hate the saying "it's all in God's plan/everything happens for a reason".... Not everyone is religious nor does everyone want to lean on the church for support.

_________________
Hold me now I need to feel complete
Like I matter to the one I need
Back to top Go down
View user profile
milennialrebelette



Posts : 34
Contribution Points : 2440
Join date : 2018-10-28
Age : 27
Location : Littleton, CO

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:40 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:


While I would consider myself religious I think it is super sad that that seemed to be the only option.  I myself hate the saying "it's all in God's plan/everything happens for a reason"....  Not everyone is religious nor does everyone want to lean on the church for support.  

I consider myself religious as well, definitely a Christian/Catholic. But I agree. I remember how much I struggled when I was taking care of my mom who had gotten way sicker than we thought she would when I was in high school only for her to pass away right after I graduated. That was hard enough hearing "God always has a reason" as though that's all we need to know. It also makes you feel like if you struggle with that explanation than you just don't have strong enough or good enough or the right faith. So it becomes something else you have to struggle with. I can't imagine looking for help after the shooting and already being a teenager struggling with things, only to be told God does everything for a reason. If God is okay with having 14 young people and their teenage killed in cold blood, I don't know if that's the kind of God I'd want to follow. It took years a lot of work for me to get through grieving and trauma for my mom, it took my sister over 10 years to start getting the help she needed after the shooting.

It's just another way the religious (ie. Christian) community in Littleton dropped the ball over the whole shooting. Again I'm definitely a Christian but that doesn't mean I don't see where the Church, a man made group made up of human beings, messes up, and call it out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hvernon

avatar

Posts : 135
Contribution Points : 20992
Join date : 2016-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:14 pm

I am out of the loop here... what film?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4310
Contribution Points : 72065
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:21 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I am out of the loop here... what film?

It’s a documentary about Columbines aftermath called “We Are Columbine” the film maker was a Freshman during the shootings.

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hvernon

avatar

Posts : 135
Contribution Points : 20992
Join date : 2016-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:23 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I am out of the loop here... what film?

It’s a documentary about Columbines aftermath called “We Are Columbine” the film maker was a Freshman during the shootings.

Thank you! Didn't even know a new documentary was coming out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bradt93



Posts : 361
Contribution Points : 23637
Join date : 2016-12-21
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:58 am

I hope Evan Todd wasn't at the panel, especially since that fat a** is also somewhat responsible for the bullying that went on at that school. Sorry when I say fat a** I start sounding like Evan Todd. I'll say fat slob.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4310
Contribution Points : 72065
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:56 am

He was not. I didn’t even see any one that looked like him there

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
macks_ant86

avatar

Posts : 167
Contribution Points : 15096
Join date : 2017-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 am

I'm glad that you got to go and it was rewarding. It was brave of you to ask a question to someone with as much leverage and frankly intimidating as Frank Deangelis. Sorry you missed out on the film, I don't know if you are aware but there's apparently another screening on 11th Nov at 4:30pm in Denver.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4310
Contribution Points : 72065
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:33 am

Hi! I do Smile I am going to see it.


_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
milennialrebelette



Posts : 34
Contribution Points : 2440
Join date : 2018-10-28
Age : 27
Location : Littleton, CO

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I'm glad that you got to go and it was rewarding. It was brave of you to ask a question to someone with as much leverage and frankly intimidating as Frank Deangelis. Sorry you missed out on the film, I don't know if you are aware but there's apparently another screening on 11th Nov at 4:30pm in Denver.    

Is there? Do you have to buy tickets? Do you know where exactly it's playing? Sorry for all the questions. Maybe my brother would come down from FoCo. He was the class of 2002.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4310
Contribution Points : 72065
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:19 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I'm glad that you got to go and it was rewarding. It was brave of you to ask a question to someone with as much leverage and frankly intimidating as Frank Deangelis. Sorry you missed out on the film, I don't know if you are aware but there's apparently another screening on 11th Nov at 4:30pm in Denver.    

Is there? Do you have to buy tickets? Do you know where exactly it's playing? Sorry for all the questions. Maybe my brother would come down from FoCo. He was the class of 2002.


Yes. I have an extra ticket for tomorrow’s screening.

You do have to buy tickets but I can post a link for you too. I’m a part of the Denver film community. I assume it’s sold out for the extra screening tomorrow. But again I have a ticket!

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."


Last edited by Screamingophelia on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4310
Contribution Points : 72065
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:20 pm

It’s at the SIE theatre . 4:30pm

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
milennialrebelette



Posts : 34
Contribution Points : 2440
Join date : 2018-10-28
Age : 27
Location : Littleton, CO

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:34 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
It’s at the SIE theatre . 4:30pm

I didn't know you're in Denver, awesome! Is it part of the film fest? My auntie has been volunteering there lately, she wasn't able to years because of her health and so this is the first year she can in awhile. Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4310
Contribution Points : 72065
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:40 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
It’s at the SIE theatre . 4:30pm

I didn't know you're in Denver, awesome! Is it part of the film fest? My auntie has been volunteering there lately, she wasn't able to years because of her health and so this is the first year she can in awhile. Thanks for the info!

I am! I actually live in Littleton.

I moved there for work and ended up really loving the area

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
milennialrebelette



Posts : 34
Contribution Points : 2440
Join date : 2018-10-28
Age : 27
Location : Littleton, CO

PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:51 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
It’s at the SIE theatre . 4:30pm

I didn't know you're in Denver, awesome! Is it part of the film fest? My auntie has been volunteering there lately, she wasn't able to years because of her health and so this is the first year she can in awhile. Thanks for the info!

I am! I actually live in Littleton.

I moved there for work and ended up really loving the area

Very cool! I was working at a JeffCo charter school in Lakewood but I'm now working in the Springs but still live in Littleton with my auntie. The drive sucks but there's NO way I'm moving to the Springs!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   

Back to top Go down
 
Panel Discussion
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Guilty Crown Discussion Topic
» Character Powers Discussion topic
» Manga Discussion & Chapter release notice; on: Chapter 774
» Season 18 Discussion
» Makestation - Creative Arts/Discussion Community

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: