Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Panel Discussion

Go down 
+2
Lizpuff
Screamingophelia
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192899
Forum Reputation : 1317

Panel Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Panel Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2018 11:40 pm

I just got back from the movie. A lot to unpack... I will give you some highlights and please let me know if you have any questions.

The movie did scratch the surface of a lot of stories. There were no political leanings or anything like that, it was really a personal story from 4 freshman. One is now a teacher and soccer coach at Columbine. He lived across the street and there was footage from his interview. It's just shocking how young everyone looks. It hits home on how young we all were Sad I mean I know I didn't go there, but I was 17 then and some of these kids were 14...

As far as the bullying comment.. Mr DeAngelis doesn't really "deny" the bullying. He says the Trench Coat Mafia was not a scary group of kids who ruled the school and he said if any kid was to be thrown into a trash can or locker there would have been something done, he said it was really exaggerated. One of the girls being interviewed was a start athlete and she said after the shootings she did try to be kinder, she asked herself if she was really nice to everyone, was she a nice person? So I think there was self reflection after.

There was a mixture of old news footage and the the people interviewed showing us exactly where they were in the school. We saw a lot of the school and they said a lot hasn't changed. During one of the interviews one of the girls discovered for the first time that one of the propane bombs was under her table. A group of students from the cafeteria ran and knocked on a strangers door to get into the house.

It is also interesting to hear that some were afraid of getting into trouble for running out of school because they were not entirely sure what was going on. Should they bring their backpacks? Would they be back for 6th period? All these questions were going through their heads.

When they went to Chatfield a couple weeks after they were given backpacks and clothes, and it was pretty much like "hey, sorry about your school shooting, here is a Tommy Hilfiger shirt"

Mr D and the teacher said this class of Freshman turned very angry. There were so many rules and restrictions that they did not feel like they had a normal high school experience. The kids also felt like they were betraying their classmates by being in the documentary and talking about it

One of the girls, her name is Amy, her boyfriend said he googled her when they first started dating and he read her FBI interview in the 11k, that made me laugh.

They talked about their lives after. One is a musician his name is Gus, one is a nurse and ones a counselor.

The person in the science room said one of his teachers came covered in blood with his shirt off. He was in there for about a minute and was looking for a first aid kid. Assuming he of course was trying to help Mr. Sanders.

I believe Gus was in the art room and they were hiding in the corner for nearly 4 hours and eventually they had to pee. So they got a trash can and the guys decided to pee in the trash and it was suggested the girls just straddle 2 chairs and squat. As Gus was pulling his pants down Swat came in and made everyone get out and Gus was still peeing...

The class of of 2002,the group that were Freshman then planned a huge food fight. They had oysters stuffed into meatballs, pies etc.. administration caught wind of it and were waiting for them outside saying they could not have a food fight and they rebeled (pun intended?)

So there is an article out there about Columbine students getting arrested for throwing a pie and swearing at cops. They just wanted a senior prank. They wanted to have fun.

Also the "We Are Columbine" chant was started years before but one of the students interviewed thought it was made up after the shooting.

Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192899
Forum Reputation : 1317

Panel Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panel Discussion   Panel Discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 3:14 pm

There is going to be another screening of we are columbine in Littleton on April 20. With a Q and a after.

I know I’m going to be going to a couple of the public memorial services but I’m not sure what else.

Panel Discussion
Page 1 of 1