Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 
 

 How genuine do think E&D's friendship was?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
joebox97

avatar

Posts : 168
Contribution Points : 11776
Forum Reputation : 25
Join date : 2018-11-24

PostSubject: How genuine do think E&D's friendship was?   Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:19 am

This morning my mind had me thinking about eric & dylan's friendship. I still wonder how genuine it really was or if they just kinda used each other for each's personal gain (dylan's suicide & eric's rage).

I think this is one of the biggest reasons columbine sticks out from the rest. Not many school shootings involve more than one person and the strength and dedication of this relationship is kind of awe worthy. Each never backed out or even showed signs and each went through with it, and never turned on one another.

How genuine do you think their friendship really was?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Off Topic Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2281
Contribution Points : 38413
Forum Reputation : 66
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: How genuine do think E&D's friendship was?   Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:03 am

I think it started off pretty genuine. I am not sure the timeline but I think for quite a while they were just friends. But I do think that Dylan used Eric more. We see people talking about how Eric copied Dylan quite a bit. And we know that Dylan had more friends and he knew it. While Dylan said he had several friends, Eric said he had 1.

I think that Eric did use Dylan as he was scared to be alone. He needed someone to help him get the courage to kill others, but Dylan used Eric to have a suicide partner. I think Dylan could have been ok without Eric, but I don't think Eric would have been ok without Dylan (or a friend like Dylan).


I do always wonder if either had second thoughts they never voiced. Or concerns that maybe they did bring up to the other. Would have been interesting to see their friendship up close irl

_________________
Hold me now I need to feel complete
Like I matter to the one I need
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4675
Contribution Points : 83745
Forum Reputation : 143
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: How genuine do think E&D's friendship was?   Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I think it started off pretty genuine.  I am not sure the timeline but I think for quite a while they were just friends.  But I do think that Dylan used Eric more.  We see people talking about how Eric copied Dylan quite a bit.  And we know that Dylan had more friends and he knew it.  While Dylan said he had several friends, Eric said he had 1.

I think that Eric did use Dylan as he was scared to be alone.  He needed someone to help him get the courage to kill others, but Dylan used Eric to have a suicide partner.  I think Dylan could have been ok without Eric, but I don't think Eric would have been ok without Dylan (or a friend like Dylan).  


I do always wonder if either had second thoughts they never voiced.  Or concerns that maybe they did bring up to the other.  Would have been interesting to see their friendship up close irl


This is one of my favorite subjects.

They were friends since 8th grade I think. Eric was part of Dylan’s group but I think for a long time Zach was Dylan’s best friend and he really clumg to that.

Eric had a hard time in Colorado, leaving good friends behind in NY and Michigan. Dylan, according to most people was someone who would never let anyone down, so even end Eric would burn bridges, Dylan was there. Hence why Eric probably glommed onto him.

I think their friendship was always there but I do think they use each other as a means to an end towards the end. But that doesn’t mean there wasn’t a genuine brotherhood. There’s a small moment in HFH where they kind of genuinely smile and turn facing each other and laugh, there’s no malice in it, they genuinely look like they are having fun, then a lot of Dylan’s yearbook writings to Eric was detailing their friendship.

I do think Eric thought of Dylan as more of his best friend than Dylan did though . However I think they were clearly best friends at the end

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2785
Contribution Points : 40634
Forum Reputation : 140
Join date : 2017-09-04

PostSubject: Re: How genuine do think E&D's friendship was?   Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:40 pm

I think Eric felt he had a genuine bond with Dylan. I feel like Eric valued Dylan, both as a friend and as a person who understood what horrible thoughts were going through his mind and didn't judge him for it. I imagine that for Eric, Dylan was one of the few people that "got it", if that makes any sense.

Dylan on the other hand, probably didn't think of Eric the same way. For a long time Dylan wanted to go on a killing spree with someone different. While I think Dylan did consider Eric one of his friends, even a best friend, I don't think Dylan prized the partnership as much as Eric did.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4675
Contribution Points : 83745
Forum Reputation : 143
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: How genuine do think E&D's friendship was?   Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:50 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I think Eric felt he had a genuine bond with Dylan. I feel like Eric valued Dylan, both as a friend and as a person who understood what horrible thoughts were going through his mind and didn't judge him for it. I imagine that for Eric, Dylan was one of the few people that "got it", if that makes any sense.

Dylan on the other hand, probably didn't think of Eric the same way. For a long time Dylan wanted to go on a killing spree with someone different. While I think Dylan did consider Eric one of his friends, even a best friend, I don't think Dylan prized the partnership as much as Eric did.


I agree. I think dylan was a second brother to Eric but Eric was a good friend to Dylan and the only person that could be his partner in the plan.

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
enibmuloc

avatar

Posts : 5
Contribution Points : 350
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2019-01-06

PostSubject: Re: How genuine do think E&D's friendship was?   Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:38 pm

Same thing for me. I always saw their friendship as genuine, however I don't think they used each other. I guess they were just two boys with similar objectives in mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joebox97

avatar

Posts : 168
Contribution Points : 11776
Forum Reputation : 25
Join date : 2018-11-24

PostSubject: Re: How genuine do think E&D's friendship was?   Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:42 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Same thing for me. I always saw their friendship as genuine, however I don't think they used each other. I guess they were just two boys with similar objectives in mind.

That is a cool opinion, most people think one used the other and vise versa, I guess we'll never know. Your opinion could be totally true as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
icanmakeuhappy



Posts : 12
Contribution Points : 3500
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2018-09-29
Age : 18

PostSubject: Re: How genuine do think E&D's friendship was?   Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:02 pm

I just wonder how much did they know about each other's struggles. I wonder if Eric knew how deep Dylan's depression was or if Dylan knew about Eric's insecurities. I mean, sure, they agreed to go on a shooting because they were angry but did they know about the stuff they wrote in the journals? I'm guessing Eric didn't know that Dylan's idea was to go NBK with a girl and that probably he wasn't even his first choice when it came to the shooting. I wonder how he would feel about that because I feel like he was the one who took their friendship more seriously, like maybe Dylan didn't think of Eric as THAT much of a friend as he did with Zack or Nate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2785
Contribution Points : 40634
Forum Reputation : 140
Join date : 2017-09-04

PostSubject: Re: How genuine do think E&D's friendship was?   Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:30 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I just wonder how much did they know about each other's struggles. I wonder if Eric knew how deep Dylan's depression was or if Dylan knew about Eric's insecurities. I mean, sure, they agreed to go on a shooting because they were angry but did they know about the stuff they wrote in the journals?

I'm willing to bet they never told the other the full picture of why they made the choice to go on a killing spree, and kept it at generic anger and hatred towards the masses for being inferior or something of that nature. It's almost tragic, because even at the end of things they likely kept secrets from each other.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hvernon
Top Contributor
avatar

Posts : 262
Contribution Points : 25157
Forum Reputation : 100
Join date : 2016-11-22
Location : Missouri

PostSubject: Re: How genuine do think E&D's friendship was?   Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:40 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I just wonder how much did they know about each other's struggles. I wonder if Eric knew how deep Dylan's depression was or if Dylan knew about Eric's insecurities. I mean, sure, they agreed to go on a shooting because they were angry but did they know about the stuff they wrote in the journals?

I'm willing to bet they never told the other the full picture of why they made the choice to go on a killing spree, and kept it at generic anger and hatred towards the masses for being inferior or something of that nature. It's almost tragic, because even at the end of things they likely kept secrets from each other.

I've got to agree here. I highly doubt either of them spoke about their depression and insecurities. There wasn't really a reason to. As far as Dylan Eric were both concerned, the other person was going on with the massacre because of their own deep hatred/anger towards the school. They must have joked or spoke about killing themselves sometimes, but I don't think the either knew how badly the other wanted to commit suicide. They let all these things out in their journals, not in person.

_________________


"...we will be free, to explore the vast wonders of the stars. To cascade down everlong waterfalls, & thru the warmest seas of pure happiness... no limits... no limits. Nothing will stop us. "


-Dylan Klebold
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Off Topic Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2281
Contribution Points : 38413
Forum Reputation : 66
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: How genuine do think E&D's friendship was?   Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:37 am

I don't think Dylan ever told anyone how he was feeling. He wrote it in his journal but no one seemed to know how depressed he was even his family.

_________________
Hold me now I need to feel complete
Like I matter to the one I need
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
How genuine do think E&D's friendship was?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Anthea needs John for a deep story..
» Can Friendships Really Last a Lifetime? :: Helios
» My Little Brony: Friendship is Awesome - Characters
» My Dream Cast
» Sir Aaron Academy

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: