Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

November 22,1963: JFK Assassination.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
philosopher_king

philosopher_king

Contribution Points : 101147
Forum Reputation : 8

November 22,1963: JFK Assassination. Empty
PostSubject: November 22,1963: JFK Assassination.   November 22,1963: JFK Assassination. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 12:31 am

This day brings with it a series of emotions of loss and a little wishful thinking. The belief that president Kennedy would have avoided further USA involvement in Vietnam, and he might have guided the country to a better path. Though, it is hard to say how he would have reacted to Vietnam and other challenges in the 1960s.
Kennedy has a image and is unnecessary idealized as a greater president than any current ones who don't seem to live up to current expectations. Still, he never finished his term nor had a chance to accomplish much because his life was taken away. That is not his fault though an argument could be made he didn't allow himself to be better protected. Interestingly C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley also died on this day.

I remember growing up with the knowledge of the event and believing it was a conspiracy of some sort. Though, my present opinion has changed on that. My high school government class was leaning on that assumption of a conspiracy. However,
I do believe it was only Lee Harvey Oswald who did it. Perhaps others were aware of the plan, but there was only one gunman based on what is found and known. More documents are expected to be released in 2017, I believe, though I don't expect any meaningful information. It would be great for history to know if there was more to the story, but we go by what is known and conclusive proven. Filling any void in history with any personal expectations is not going to lead to any firm truth.

I once read Edward Kennedy memoirs and he accepted the Warren Report results because he wanted to move on. Like any history event that brings tragedy, it is not always possible to know everything and find a firm conclusion. Edward Kennedy recognized the limitations of that report and soldiered on. I wouldn't expect anything to change. Maybe holding someone accountable, but it doesn't change the fact that someone died. After Kennedy's death, changes were introduced and while there have been further attempted attacks on other American presidents, no other president  has died in office through assassination. President Reagan was the closest to being killed in office, but it was quick thinking by those around him that saved his life.
Back to top Go down
rik75

Contribution Points : 96868
Forum Reputation : 50

November 22,1963: JFK Assassination. Empty
PostSubject: 50 years ago today. R.I.P Mr President JFK   November 22,1963: JFK Assassination. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Now i am not one for conspiracies regarding the assassination of JFK. I believe that :

1) Lee Harvey Oswald attempted to kill General Edwin Walker and acted alone.
2) Lee Harvey Oswald wanted to kill Richard Nixon.Marina Oswald prevented the killing by locking Lee in the bathroom.
3) Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK and acted alone.
4) Lee Harvey Oswald shot Officer JD Tippit and acted alone.
5) Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald and acted alone.
Back to top Go down

November 22,1963: JFK Assassination.
Page 1 of 1