Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Eric's "stare"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jettfyre80

PostSubject: Eric's "stare"   Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:43 am

I was looking at Eric's senior pictures and a couple of them when he's on the grass and the one where he leans up against the building, he has that "look" that makes the fangirls weak. I was wondering if he did that on purpose or if he had some sort of past modeling experience or something. Its not easy to master that look for pictures. Most people end up looking like a deer in headlights.

PostSubject: Re: Eric's "stare"   Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:12 am

Those pictures always give me the vibe that reminds me of the vibe I got when I read the "you pathetic fools" in his journal, and there's something in his eyes in some of them that's almost a gentle mockery turning into the "soon you'll be dead on the floor"-sort of thought.. you know what I mean? That little curled half-smile, ugh, it makes me want to strangle him. I think there was purpose behind it, a vague fleeting moment where he may have imagined those pictures would one day circulate in the news and such, but I also think that he hated getting his pictures taken at all. The poses might suggest relaxation, but I read tension in them as well that's pretty much Eric's version of 'deer in headlights'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric's "stare"   Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:53 am

The only picture where I can see mockery in his eyes, is the one below and the serious one of the senior pictures.

Last edited by Hale-Bopp on Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
jettfyre80

PostSubject: Re: Eric's "stare"   Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Yeah i definitely think he was expecting those pictures to circulate...

PostSubject: Re: Eric's "stare"   Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:51 pm

Like most everything with Eric, I doubt any sincerity in his expressions in his photos, and I personally can feel some of the contempt even in the most innocuous pics. With him, everything was an affectation, lacking any real authenticity.
Back to top Go down
JayJay

PostSubject: Re: Eric's "stare"   Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:30 am

Ah, I don't read his stare the same way. Maybe there is contempt for others, yes, but I see a lot of distrust and discomfort with himself in some of his pictures  (  http://home.eol.ca/~dord/eric_news02a.jpg ) while in others he looks deep in thoughts, quite retreated in his own mind (whether or not he has this mocking smile on his face) (  http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/14/article-0-0019AA6F00000258-642_224x227.jpg  ).

He has that same look of being lost in thoughts a few times during the ''cafeteria video''. When he decides to listen to somebody, he seems very attentive. Otherwise, his stare gives the impression of a guy constantly thinking, thinking and overthinking some more. It connects to what he says to his psychologist and what he writes in his diary. That's the way I read his stare: someone who always think a lot, constantly, and analyzing everything around him as well as himself.

Sorry, I'm bad at uploading pictures here. It's not working, thus the links...

A website that goes to some lengths analyzing Dylan's and especially Eric's pictures is that of Lear's Shadow. It dives into that ''stare'' of Eric as well. Here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  and here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
- American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (1991)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jettfyre80

PostSubject: Re: Eric's "stare"   Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:38 am

Good find, Jay Jay!

JayJay

PostSubject: Re: Eric's "stare"   Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:31 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Good find, Jay Jay!

Thanks. I just assumed most people on here know about that website but putting it out there just in case, because there is a lot to be said about E & D's change over the years and the look on their faces in pictures.

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
- American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (1991)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mj2beat

PostSubject: Re: Eric's "stare"   Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:25 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Ah, I don't read his stare the same way. Maybe there is contempt for others, yes, but I see a lot of distrust and discomfort with himself in some of his pictures  (  http://home.eol.ca/~dord/eric_news02a.jpg ) while in others he looks deep in thoughts, quite retreated in his own mind (whether or not he has this mocking smile on his face) (  http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/14/article-0-0019AA6F00000258-642_224x227.jpg  ).

He has that same look of being lost in thoughts a few times during the ''cafeteria video''. When he decides to listen to somebody, he seems very attentive. Otherwise, his stare gives the impression of a guy constantly thinking, thinking and overthinking some more. It connects to what he says to his psychologist and what he writes in his diary. That's the way I read his stare: someone who always think a lot, constantly, and analyzing everything around him as well as himself.

Sorry, I'm bad at uploading pictures here. It's not working, thus the links...

A website that goes to some lengths analyzing Dylan's and especially Eric's pictures is that of Lear's Shadow. It dives into that ''stare'' of Eric as well. Here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  and here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Brilliant post, I loved the website and all the analysis, I never look those pictures so carefully and I now I will do it because definitely there is something more behind. The part: The sophomore picture suggests the evolution and entrenchment of this mask. Eric's eyes have become almost entirely guarded and watchful. And if it's sometimes useful to look at the left eye and right eye separately, because the optic nerves connect them to the opposite cerebral hemispheres, Eric's right eye, linked to the more analytical left side, suggests calculation, a constant sizing up, while his left eye, linked to the more globally creative right hemisphere, has gone quiescent, as though in suspended animation. And the last written in the Dylan's senior picture, have so many sense.

The only pictures I analysed before a bit more, were the class pictures for the yearbook . There, they really seem to be thinking what the others not and even telling to the camera was about to happen even though the photographer didnt have idea. Specially in this one [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tfsa47090
Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's "stare"   Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Lear's Shadow (the site with the analysis of Eric's photos) was also discussed [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] a while back, if anyone is interested in taking a look.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's "stare"   Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Guest wrote:
The only picture where I can see mockery in his eyes, is the one below and the serious one of the senior pictures.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This photo is quite interesting. Eric here looks a bit ominous. His eyes and smile are ambiguous in this picture. Although if you do not know who is in the photo, you wouldn't give it any value. So I don't think he deliberately makes this kind of expression.

Eric's "stare"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1