Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Basement Tapes Destroyed

Go down 
+83
Primate Murder
Stallo
vio1ette
Norwegian
EthanEmerson
Carnifex879
khscarymovie4part4
REBELVODKA
Jaymie
Onyx
noodlesoldier
kblu
mbiholding
jada887
SandraSmit19
properground
thelmar
rocdk
Okay-Okay
slippy123
QuestionMark
Jea
silentprocess
Cemetery Jones
Guest83142
Screamingophelia
1Mare1
InsaneIntruder
starrwilliams
jodie-b
iforgotmyoldname2
MrAdventure
FrenchObserver
Scarletmoon
Lizpuff
spidEr
ZCD99
wawbeast44
edgelord
knightzero
FIBAgent
GreenGrayDay
Jbow89
H311ish.B3ast
afrrs
EGSandrew
myshame
KatieJean1988
meowitscow
rebelgoddess
bubbles
shades
aquillina
Koltin
Archvile
ChoSeungHui
eli27
Rebdoomer
lio45
radaddio
ThoughtBox
Extanil
KitKat2013
Sabratha
em81
LPorter101
Mr_Chagrin
MysteryMan
lol
carrie12
rebgirl
Cezar
szuzanna
Jenn
philosopher_king
Draw_It_White
Wideawake
gasolinechild
deathmedic
sororityalpha
Juicy Jazzy
Gonz
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 82032
Forum Reputation : 3068

Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 8:16 pm

I agree with those that say releasing the tapes would have humanized Eric and Dylan in a way. I think that they did some ranting, etc. on the tapes that made them seem unhinged but some of the reporters who saw the tapes also realized how much E & D hated themselves. If they wanted to push the narrative that these were kids, Eric especially, that couldn't have been stopped because they were evil, this isn't something law enforcement would want widely known.

I also think it's possible that they said things about the police, the diversion program, etc. that would reflect badly on Jeffco officials if it got out.

I understand, in theory, how they may have considered that releasing the tapes could promote copycats. But once they were forced to release everything else- journals, videos, class writings, police statements of their friends, etc.- this argument was moot. There is more than enough in all of that for a copycat to get his/her fill from, as we've seen time and time again. The tapes wouldn't have made much more of a dent. All of those things were released before the tapes were "destroyed" (I think the FBI, at least, has a copy). This is why I think there must have been another, less "honorable" reason for withholding the tapes.
Back to top Go down
wawbeast44

Contribution Points : 62845
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 8:26 pm

I would even go out and say that just the shooting itself happening is enough to create copycats. They didn't need to release anything. Almost all School Shooting trace back to Columbine in some way or another. If the shooting didn't happen I can almost guarantee we wouldn't have as big of a School Shooting problem. Also The FBI does have a Copy. I'll have to find the "text," but I saw where I believe either one or multiple agents made copies.
Back to top Go down

Contribution Points : 62595
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 4:12 pm

well, someone managed to get those Adam Lanza pics released by a foia request (where he's posing with guns). i think until that point everybody thought it would be impossible to ever see such pictures of adam.

afaik it was a user named "cryinghampster" from tumblr. he has also some other rare pictures of adam. there was also a thread on reddit about it with some background information about the foia request and the release of the pictures.

maybe someone with a tumblr account could contact him/her and ask if he/she could also try his/her luck on unreleased columbine stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 5:33 pm

Someone needs to sneak into the FBI building and retreve the tapes.
Back to top Go down
jada887

jada887

Contribution Points : 74803
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2019 9:55 pm

Guest wrote:
Recently Jefferson County elected a new sheriff.

I have a question. Does anyone know if the FBI made a duplicate copy of the Basement Tapes? Because the FBI investigated this case, and reviewed all the video evidence, I assume that the FBI made a duplicate copy in storage and allowed JCSO to keep the original. I am just speculating here.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2019 10:36 pm

jada887 wrote:
I have a question. Does anyone know if the FBI made a duplicate copy of the Basement Tapes? Because the FBI investigated this case, and reviewed all the video evidence, I assume that the FBI made a duplicate copy in storage and allowed JCSO to keep the original. I am just speculating here.

On pg. 10377 of the CR it mentions that FBI Agent Jeff Diehl was given a copy of the tape showing Harris and Klebold showing their armaments, talking about Passover, the part where Eric cries in his car, talking about prom, the gun show, and the last segment right before the massacre. On pg. 10381 and 10383, a Jeffco officer notes that she made a copy of two of the other tapes, but it doesn't say if either tape was given to the FBI. The tapes in question show Harris and Klebold talking about Green Mountain Guns, Manes, Duran and Robyn helping them get guns, how they feel about all kinds of stuff/people/races. It also includes the scene with Eric by himself in his bedroom.

I'm guessing the FBI still has copies. Maybe we'll find out some day.
Back to top Go down
properground

Contribution Points : 57424
Forum Reputation : 108

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 12:57 pm

thelmar wrote:
jada887 wrote:

On pg. 10377 of the CR it mentions that FBI Agent Jeff Diehl was given a copy of the tape showing Harris and Klebold showing their armaments, talking about Passover, the part where Eric cries in his car, talking about prom, the gun show, and the last segment right before the massacre. On pg. 10381 and 10383, a Jeffco officer notes that she made a copy of two of the other tapes, but it doesn't say if either tape was given to the FBI. The tapes in question show Harris and Klebold talking about Green Mountain Guns, Manes, Duran and Robyn helping them get guns, how they feel about all kinds of stuff/people/races. It also includes the scene with Eric by himself in his bedroom.

I'm guessing the FBI still has copies. Maybe we'll find out some day.

There was talk of this in a thread on here a while ago. The FBI may have a copy of the tapes, as well as other photos. County departments have a different FOIA process, which is state-governed and is less likely to work; the FBI falls under FOIA itself. Someone found the field office that handled the tapes and the evidence and posted their contact info here. Any agency that could be subject to FOIA requests has to have a FOIA office (which may just be one or two people who are in charge of requests).

Our beat bet is to contact that office and make a FOIA request since Jeffco has never been helpful, and because FOIA stuff is taken seriously. I'd do it myself but I have reasons why I can't. If anyone is interested in trying I can give tips on how to submit the request to the office.

I really believe those tapes, or at least more evidence is only a FOIA request away, and if I was in a different position i'd do it myself.
Back to top Go down
rocdk

Contribution Points : 44875

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 11:24 pm

So I'm making an eFOIPA request to the FBI, does anybody have any tips on what exactly to request?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mbiholding

Contribution Points : 47550

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 5:37 pm

Technically, the video footage we have from late 2003 belongs to the infamous 'basement' tapes.

The former counsel for the Harrises and Klebolds, and those for the school district and many of the victims' families, would almost certainly have had the opportunity to review, and some cases, most likely made or were given a copy of the tapes provided.  

There were at one point likely up to several dozen partial or full copies among the lawyers, school district administration, and various responding law enforcement agencies, and even more if you add unauthorized audio made during the Fall 1999 closed press and family showings of what was likely only about 75-80% of the basement tapes.  

It is quite likely that many of these copies still survive.  Sue Klebold may very well be in direct possession of full copies.

However, I believe it is self-deluding to presume that you will ever receive an honest and forthcoming response from any law enforcement agency involved, on the matter of the unreleased tapes themselves, whether from the FBI or a sheriff's office in a neighboring county.  

I doubt the originals have truly been destroyed, and the decision to prevaricate on an almost impossible to justify FOIA request was made years before the uptick in these mass shooting incidents.  

There is not even a remote chance that any agency would intentionally and voluntarily disclose the existence of, let alone release, any portion of this evidence, in our present climate.

Their aiders and abettors in the Courts will do nothing to challenge or upset the now established narrative of purged evidence from a long 'closed' investigation.

Brian Rohrbaugh, Randy Brown, or the various local television station and newspaper journalists and the archives at their headquarters would likely be the nearest source of getting a leak of at least a lengthy audio portion of the unreleased tapes.

I believe most of us would find that these vaunted missing tapes are far more mundane (and juvenile) than the reputation they have garnered over the years, and are probably no more shocking outright than myriad (non-policy-violating) things uploaded daily to YouTube.
Back to top Go down
kblu

kblu

Contribution Points : 52609
Forum Reputation : 425

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 1:26 am

Has anyone made an eFOIPA request to the FBI yet? I have one written out and I am going to send it soon (unless someone already has). It costs money so I don't want to do it if someone already has and it didn't work.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 95449
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 8:57 am

kblu wrote:
Has anyone made an eFOIPA request to the FBI yet? I have one written out and I am going to send it soon (unless someone already has). It costs money so I don't want to do it if someone already has and it didn't work.

I know some have said they were going to do it. I am not sure anyone has.

noodlesoldier

noodlesoldier

Contribution Points : 42171
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 6:23 am

I personally believe they won't release the tapes (cause let's be honest here, they didn't destroy shit.) because it will humanize them. Especially Eric. Him in his bedroom and him in his car crying. They want them in bad light, and that will pretty much shatter it. But also, as someone mentioned, that Sue doesn't want people to see her son that way. Talking about killing, calling girls bitches, etc.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119653
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 10:38 am

noodlesoldier wrote:
I personally believe they won't release the tapes (cause let's be honest here, they didn't destroy shit.)

Yes they did. I know this because logically they have everything to gain and nothing to lose from destroying those tapes. If the tapes are literally gone, nobody can ask for them.

Onyx
Top Contributor
Onyx

Contribution Points : 48277
Forum Reputation : 378

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 6:28 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
noodlesoldier wrote:
I personally believe they won't release the tapes (cause let's be honest here, they didn't destroy shit.)

Yes they did. I know this because logically they have everything to gain and nothing to lose from destroying those tapes. If the tapes are literally gone, nobody can ask for them.

Still, I think there is at least one copy in the world.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2019 12:16 am

Onyx wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
noodlesoldier wrote:

Still, I think there is at least one copy in the world.

If there is a copy out there, JeffCo almost certainly doesn't have it (no incentive to keep it). CVA speculated that the FBI might have a copy stashed away somewhere, other than that, IDK.

iforgotmyoldname2

iforgotmyoldname2

Contribution Points : 61617

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2019 7:54 pm

kblu wrote:
Just curious how much it actually costs to submit the request? I'd be shocked if it goes anywhere, but the cost is interesting to me.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2019 11:14 pm

iforgotmyoldname2 wrote:
Just curious how much it actually costs to submit the request? I'd be shocked if it goes anywhere, but the cost is interesting to me.

I think it varies depending upon the case, the type of information you are seeking, and the jurisdiction. For instance, I did one maybe 8 years ago on an alleged suspect of another pet case of mine, the Zodiac. I was looking for military service records and I received them at no cost.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2019 4:41 pm

I doesn’t cost anything to submit an FOIA request. However, whomever you’re contacting can request money for the records they find. Just submitting a request is free though.
Back to top Go down
kblu

kblu

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 8:54 pm

I sent a FOIPA request about two weeks ago.

I just got a letter in the mail today.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I doubt that. There’s no way that they would be unable to locate them if they really did have them. And I believe that they do have them because there’s a part in the 11k that literally says a copy was given to the FBI. They couldn’t have been destroyed because if they were then the second check mark would have been ticked. If they don’t want them released, why would they claim they couldn’t locate them if they could just check the tick mark and say they were destroyed to get us all to shut up? Because they weren’t destroyed, and if they were ever leaked, that would be more of a lie than simply just pretending they can’t locate them. So I really do believe they still have the copy. Either they really can’t find it (doubtful), lost it, or they don’t want the public to see them for some reason. I wonder if this is a copy paste answer they give to everyone who requests the tapes.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 12:22 am

kblu wrote:
I sent a FOIPA request about two weeks ago.

I just got a letter in the mail today.

I doubt that. There’s no way that they would be unable to locate them if they really did have them. And I believe that they do have them because there’s a part in the 11k that literally says a copy was given to the FBI. They couldn’t have been destroyed because if they were then the second check mark would have been ticked. If they don’t want them released, why would they claim they couldn’t locate them if they could just check the tick mark and say they were destroyed to get us all to shut up? Because they weren’t destroyed, and if they were ever leaked, that would be more of a lie than simply just pretending they can’t locate them. So I really do believe they still have the copy. Either they really can’t find it (doubtful), lost it, or they don’t want the public to see them for some reason. I wonder if this is a copy paste answer they give to everyone who requests the tapes.

For all intents and purposes, those tapes may as well be destroyed. If they have been destroyed, we'll never see them, that's that. If the FBI/JeffCo/whoever really does have a copy, they will never release it, and then we're back to square one.

We will never see those tapes short of literal divine intervention. It's wasted effort trying.

Jaymie

Jaymie

Contribution Points : 42088
Forum Reputation : 275

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 8:36 am

Their videos have been published, their diaries have been published, the suicide photos are on the Internet, the school and the library were filmed and published shortly after the attack, there are photos of the crime scene, pictures of two dead students outside the school, etc. But if two guys sit in front of the camera and explain why they did it, won't it be published because people are afraid of followers?!? I don't entirely agree with this because I think anything that can be found about Columbine inspires potential violent criminals even more

REBELVODKA

Contribution Points : 46564
Forum Reputation : 125

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 2:26 pm

Jaymie wrote:
Their videos have been published, their diaries have been published, the suicide photos are on the Internet, the school and the library were filmed and published shortly after the attack, there are photos of the crime scene, pictures of two dead students outside the school, etc. But if two guys sit in front of the camera and explain why they did it, won't it be published because people are afraid of followers?!? I don't entirely agree with this because I think anything that can be found about Columbine inspires potential violent criminals even more
Shootings will keep existing, not releasing that videos by the reason could cause shootings is stupid.

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 2:47 pm

It can’t be completely destroyed, right?....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 6:11 pm

Jaymie wrote:

And plus even without the Basement Tapes there have still been hundreds of copycats, the first copycat happened 8 days after the shooting!
Back to top Go down
khscarymovie4part4

Contribution Points : 41381

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 8:51 pm

Something I wonder that some of you may know the answer too, but who is the one who started calling the tapes the "Basement Tapes"? Was it the TIME magazine article that first started using the name? It does not sound like something the FBI would ever use to describe evidence. Just curious but [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] how did you describe the tapes in your request? Simply stating the Basement Tapes may provoke the problem if there was not a good amount of info there. Even though I doubt the FBI would listen if we put the full transcripts in the request to help them find them. Either way I thank you for sending the request.
Back to top Go down
Guest83142

Contribution Points : 69598
Forum Reputation : 163

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 9:15 pm

Last edited by Guest83142 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jaymie

Jaymie

Contribution Points : 42088
Forum Reputation : 275

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 7:04 am

TheOne99 wrote:
Jaymie wrote:

And plus even without the Basement Tapes there have still been hundreds of copycats, the first copycat happened 8 days after the shooting!

That's right, so I don't understand why they're not releasing the Basement Tapes. They make statements, Eric doesn't like alcohol and Dylan chews on a toothpick and does something with candy ... and I want to see what he does with the candy Very Happy

Hayden Jagst
Former Top 10 Contributor

Carnifex879

Contribution Points : 67522
Forum Reputation : 391
Location : Gretchen Whitler's People's Republic of "The Mitten"

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 4:11 pm

Holy crap guys! I think I found some leaked footage!
Back to top Go down
EthanEmerson
Banned

Contribution Points : 81334
Forum Reputation : 475

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 4:46 pm

After talking with a lot of former school shooters who were inspired first by Eric's journals... then went off the rails with feeling more inspiration from the Rampart Range video... and then got even more inspired and pumped up as each new piece of evidence was released in video format... I have to say I know for a fact that releasing the "Basement Tapes" would do more harm than good. It would add even more inspiration and fuel to those who want to emulate Eric and Dylan.

If I hadn't witnessed the progression of how each new piece of evidence drastically impacted and inspired teens for the last 20 years, I would probably agree that releasing the tapes wouldn't make a difference since there is already video released of them shooting.

I know a guy who is still alive today that was pushed over the edge by watching the Rampart Range video. He was already leaning toward violence, but that video made Eric come to life for him.

Seeing Eric and Dylan rant about things that are very relatable to people who are already on the edge is a disaster waiting to happen.
Back to top Go down
kblu

kblu

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 4:27 pm

khscarymovie4part4 wrote:
Something I wonder that some of you may know the answer too, but who is the one who started calling the tapes the "Basement Tapes"? Was it the TIME magazine article that first started using the name? It does not sound like something the FBI would ever use to describe evidence. Just curious but [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] how did you describe the tapes in your request? Simply stating the Basement Tapes may provoke the problem if there was not a good amount of info there. Even though I doubt the FBI would listen if we put the full transcripts in the request to help them find them. Either way I thank you for sending the request.

I said: "The evidence I am requesting are a series of video tapes made by the two perpetrators in the months prior to the attack. These tapes are commonly known as “The Basement Tapes” among law enforcement and others who are familiar with the case.

On April 24, 1999, Officer Zimmerman of The Jefferson County‘s Sheriff Office (JSCO) viewed and made several copies of these tapes. In a report dated April 28, 1999, which I have included with this request, Zimmerman states one copy was made for himself and another was given to FBI SA Jeff Diehl for transportation to the FBI command post."

I also included the transcript of the tapes from the Zimmerman report.
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78128
Forum Reputation : 304

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 9:50 pm

There are transcripts. Given that it can create a copycat effect I agree that its a good decision
Back to top Go down
vio1ette

vio1ette

Contribution Points : 47075

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2020 7:04 am

I’m sorry for bumping the old post up, but I find it funny how the tapes are supposedly destroyed, while, for example, SeattlePD has all the evidence still available from Kurt Cobain’s SUICIDE that happened in 1994, including the undeveloped film, shotgun and etc. And we’re talking about suicide here. Yes, of a celebrity, but nonetheless.
A murderous act of such scale, and they are getting rid of evidence? Seriously?

Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2020 1:44 pm

vio1ette wrote:
I’m sorry for bumping the old post up, but I find it funny how the tapes are supposedly destroyed, while, for example, SeattlePD has all the evidence still available from Kurt Cobain’s SUICIDE that happened in 1994, including the undeveloped film, shotgun and etc. And we’re talking about suicide here. Yes, of a celebrity, but nonetheless.
A murderous act of such scale, and they are getting rid of evidence? Seriously?

I dont think it's something they should release to the public given that Columbine has allready garnered enough copycat effects
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2020 12:53 am

Norwegian wrote:
There are transcripts. Given that it can create a copycat effect I agree that its a good decision

Norwegian wrote:
I dont think it's something they should release to the public given that Columbine has allready garnered enough copycat effects

Damn, that's practically heresy around these parts. I admire your bravery. Smile

All jokes aside I myself don't see much, if any remaining value in seeing those tapes. I very much doubt it'll answer any burning questions that any of us have, and it seems likely to me it'd only create new questions, more dubious speculation, more over analysis, and maybe I'm just a stick in the mud but it might just be a general let down no matter what. I remember having been very much anticipating the day they'd release more of Adam Lanza's writings and pictures, and then once they went ahead and did it all the excitement drained out of me like a deflating tire.

Wanting is better than having, I guess.

Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 8:09 am

Im glad they did.

We have transcripts from the tapes, allready.
Back to top Go down
Stallo

Contribution Points : 42105

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 11:58 am

I don’t understand how to quote someone, but this is to the user above. The transcripts available are far from complete, the basement tapes were over 3 hours long.
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 12:04 pm

Stallo wrote:
I don’t understand how to quote someone, but this is to the user above. The transcripts available are far from complete, the basement tapes were over 3 hours long.

Theres allready enough information out there. Theres been so much copycat effects after Columbine that I dont see how destroying them was a bad idea
Back to top Go down
Primate Murder
Top 10 Contributor
Primate Murder

Contribution Points : 63358
Forum Reputation : 446

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 1:32 am

My only comment.

Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 2:39 am

I sincerely trust the authorities decision making on this one. What I also support is to not mention the names of the killers after such incidents.

I agree with threat assessment(mainly in the US), allthough, not how its been handled, as too many innocent people have been injustly targeted.

I also agree with restrictions on access to firearms, given that many of them pick up guns from their homes. Allthough, I think it takes time for the US to get there.

Also, do something about bullying, child abuse, mental health issues and anything thats connected to these school shootings.

Koltin and Chet dislike this post

Back to top Go down
Saoradh

Saoradh

Contribution Points : 37279

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2021 5:54 pm

Saoradh

Saoradh

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2021 5:45 am

Time Magazine's Tim Roche on NPR [The Basement Tapes] (December 13, 1999)

NPR speaks with Tim Roche, co-author of The Columbine Tapes, an article published in the Dec. 20, 1999 issue of Time Magazine. Roche tells NPR about what he learned from viewing videotapes, i.e. the Basement Tapes, made by the teens who carried out the massacre last spring at Columbine High School in Colorado. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris detailed their motives and plans for killing students at the school.

Time Magazine's Tim Roche on NPR [The Basement Tapes] (December 13, 1999)

Primate Murder and MilverSoxie dislike this post

Back to top Go down
Saoradh

Saoradh

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2021 6:07 pm

The main reason I’d love to watch "Basement Tapes" is because I’d want to see their actual behavior and expressions, you can fool others with words but your body language will still tell what’s behind them. It would be so telling.

Employer_Square and Saoradh like this post

Primate Murder and MilverSoxie dislike this post

Back to top Go down
Jollyhelpful

Jollyhelpful

Contribution Points : 65394
Forum Reputation : 70

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2021 9:37 pm

I've always been in favor of releasing the Basement Tapes for the sole purpose of the demystification of E&D. look at the Elliot Rogers videos. After viewing them in all their awkwardness, nobody would be "inspired" by them.If unreleased They would be described as the following: Elliott laments on his lack of success with women and elaborates on how he will soon take his revenge on them." That sounds broad enough to "Inspire" a new generation of "Incels" into action. You want to know what the Basement Tapes would sound like? Follow the link below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

garbagetalker1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 96860
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 3:44 am

Jollyhelpful wrote:
I've always been in favor of releasing the Basement Tapes for the sole purpose of the demystification of E&D. look at the Elliot Rogers videos. After viewing them in all their awkwardness, nobody would be "inspired" by them.If unreleased They would be described as the following: Elliott laments on his lack of success with women and elaborates on how he will soon take his revenge on them." That sounds broad enough to "Inspire" a new generation of "Incels" into action. You want to know what the Basement Tapes would sound like? Follow the link below.

It is really hard to predict what would inspire certain people. Take Cho's recordings. He appears to be vividly deagend, rambling about Jesus Christ and whatnot with a wild look. At first glance one could assume that nobody will be inspired. But some later shooters still referred to him.

Having said that, if one looks at the statements made by those who seen the basement tapes one can get an impression that they really weren't all that special or insightful. Mostly 2 guys sitting in their mom's basement, eating slim jims and talking shit. In this sense I think that the basement tapes developed their mystique mostly through the mystery and the fact that they were not released.

But the way I see it - the journals were the important evidence that sheds the light on their motives. The basement tapes far less so. At least from what was reported to be in them.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 11:52 am

Jollyhelpful wrote:
look at the Elliot Rogers videos. After viewing them in all their awkwardness, nobody would be "inspired" by them.

Objectively wrong.

Employer_Square likes this post

Back to top Go down
Adzybear

Adzybear

Contribution Points : 60111
Forum Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 12:47 pm

I really think that if the Basement Tapes hadn't been destroyed, they would have leaked by now.

IMO, nobody is hanging on to those tapes or files in 2021. Not a chance. They can't really be sold because you would get into serious deep shit! Holding on to them all this time to release them for free with the risk of doing so wouldn't make sense.

I really think they have gone. Or at best, in some safe with 10 foot thick tempered steel walls & door.

Jeffco couldn't take the risk of saying they were destroyed for them to come out. That Police Department would get fucked beyond belief.

And don't get me wrong, it absolutely boils my piss to think that these were destroyed. There have been more copycats and Fanboys/Girls because of Dylans lovie dovie journal & their home videos for school.

I think to see them trying to be cool and badass would create a cringe factor. Not to mention the big plan they promised to deliver, to then fail on epic proportions!

I mean, Eric was apologising on the goodbye video. He was also crying in the car on his own in another. Saying he wished he didn't feel remorse but that he did in another. That is what should be released.

I really do think they have been destroyed and I wish they hadn't.

If they ever do come out some way or how, I will donate $100 to Jeffcos Christmas Staff Party. Can't beat a free bar!

Jollyhelpful

Contribution Points : 65394
Forum Reputation : 70

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 4:48 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Jollyhelpful wrote:
look at the Elliot Rogers videos. After viewing them in all their awkwardness, nobody would be "inspired" by them.

Objectively wrong.

Fair enough; What I should've said was, After viewing them in all their awkwardness, I believe far less people would be "inspired" by the actual videos as opposed to a vague transcript, that would in turn leave people to use their imagination to fill in the gaps.

Adzybear and Employer_Square like this post

Back to top Go down
Adzybear

Adzybear

Contribution Points : 60111
Forum Reputation : 100

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2021 6:37 pm

I agree 100% Jollyhelpful

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 97193
Forum Reputation : 104

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2021 5:51 am

Jollyhelpful wrote:

Same as that goon Randy Stair who used to post on here.

He jus comes across as one pathetic specimen in all those videos he did.

Adzybear likes this post

Back to top Go down
KitKat2013

Contribution Points : 98969
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2021 9:13 am

I am on the same boat with people who think there are copies around the world. But those owners of the tapes might think they do "the right" by just overwriting/destroying or simply forgetting about them.

As I mentioned before on this forum, the German radio station WDR had excerpts from the library call that is not in any of the other releases. It is literally just running while the narrator talks and then you can hear a bit for like 3-5 seconds after the voice stops. I think you can hear some female yelling and gunshots, but so far in the timeline of events when the offically released recordings already stopped. And I doubt that the WDR just flew to Colorado to tape it off of a cassette deck themselves; they received a proper copy of that for sure. This guy might've already threw them away as a reporter who has countless of those reports done and his last tape machine broke might probably just don't give a shit about it anymore.

The same way can be projected onto the video material. "Oh this... ah well, my VCR broke, so let's trash all of it. Family movies are digitized, the rest I can't be arsed" sort of mentality. But on the other hand, being one, if not THE, mass shooting I think someone has a copy stashed away, maybe already demagnificated beyond repair. . . .

Koltin and Adzybear like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Basement Tapes Destroyed - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Basement Tapes Destroyed
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next