Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?

Go down 
+7
radaddio
eli27
PaintItBlack
LPorter101
Sabratha
WendlaBergman
11 posters
AuthorMessage
WendlaBergman

Contribution Points : 90274
Forum Reputation : 0

What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Empty
PostSubject: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 12:42 pm

I was wondering what lessons everyone has learned during their research that have impacted their lives.

I read Dylan Klebold's journal and seeing all the beautiful and intelligent things about love, life, existence, and the universe made me realize that everyone has good in them somewhere deep down. Even someone who did something as awful as he did. It made me realize: What does that say about people who have slighted me a little? Because of that I no longer hate any people, I hate asinine actions. It made me realize I should see the good in everyone and extend fraternal love to even those others consider unlovable. I actually got a stainless steel ring engraved with the quote which was the turning point for me, along with Dylan's name and dates. It serves as a sort of purity ring to remind me of all this.

What lessons has your Columbine research taught you?
Back to top Go down

Contribution Points : 79681

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 1:00 pm

WendlaBergman wrote:
I was wondering what lessons everyone has learned during their research that have impacted their lives.

I read Dylan Klebold's journal and seeing all the beautiful and intelligent things about love, life, existence, and the universe made me realize that everyone has good in them somewhere deep down. Even someone who did something as awful as he did. It made me realize: What does that say about people who have slighted me a little? Because of that I no longer hate any people, I hate asinine actions. It made me realize I should see the good in everyone and extend fraternal love to even those others consider unlovable. I actually got a stainless steel ring engraved with the quote which was the turning point for me, along with Dylan's name and dates. It serves as a sort of purity ring to remind me of all this.

That there are a lot of creepy girls fantasizing about two teen murderers who has been dead for over 15 years…

captainbaculum likes this post

Back to top Go down
WendlaBergman

Contribution Points : 90274

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 1:08 pm

Meh. I don't think it's creepy. It isn't as if they're harassing survivors or victims' families. To each their own. (Maybe I'm biased though since I find the boys very attractive, Dylan moreso than Eric IMO.)
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97917
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 1:58 pm

1. Mental health is a more serious matter than most people asssume it is. Very disturbed/ill/dangerous/confused/maladapted/etc individuals can go under the radar for years. Cho case in point.

2. What the media say within 2 weeks from the event is gonna last forever, even if its hogwash and gets corrected later on.

3. People will want to see their idols ... precisely the way they want to see them, not the way they really are/were. That's true for actors, sports stars and music stars, but seems to be equally true about killers.

4. Its not difficult to make a spree killing at all.

5. You meet zounds of people daily in RL or online, and there's a very real chance some of them will be criminals or even killers (Thanks for nothing Gill and Lanza).

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland

captainbaculum likes this post

Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151510
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 6:18 pm

Beware of some of the women you meet online. Very Happy

(And men, too, I guess.)

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 96841
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 9:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.],
I tend to agree with you. Sure, some people take it too far but then again some people take anything they are involved in or interested in too far.
I believe that as long as you aren't trying to hurt others or yourself, there is nothing wrong with it.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 96841
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Being a Columbiner has taught me some of the most fundamental lessons I've ever learned.
It has taught me to be more open minded in many ways.It has taught me more empathy and compassion.
It has taught me to look at events and people in other ways, from other angles than many people do.
As painful as being a Columbiner can be(because it's hard not to be affected by all the heartrending sadness of the tragedy)
,I feel I would have not learned all those lessons without having become a Columbiner and I'm very grateful for them.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

Contribution Points : 83857
Forum Reputation : 135

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 5:13 pm

Columbine research, as well as other research that it has lead me to, has taught me that (or at least made me thing about the fact that) the things most people think matter (money, job, status, and pretty much everything between) don't really matter, and that the way we live life in this society is not necessarily the best at all.

Contribution Points : 83690
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 10:38 am

I learned how much a person's mental health can affect the ones around them

Also, I learned a lot of great tools for digging up archive websites : )

Lastly, I developed a taste for dark German industrial music and synth pop. I don't know if that stemmed from being a fan of electronica already, but I've been listening to some odd stuff as of late.
Back to top Go down
Love

Love

Contribution Points : 67916
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Some conclusions should be made. For example, that bullying (in any form) bring enormous damage to the psyche and this can have negative consequences for society as a whole. Everyone has the right to be heard and appreciated, and not just in accordance with established stereotypes and norms. Nor should all the problems be blamed on adolescence. I was surprised how no one noticed the depression of Dylan, even close friends and parents. I think that people need to be more literate in mental health issues. Good deeds can cause a chain reaction, but evil can also cause a chain reaction.
eli27 wrote:
Columbine research, as well as other research that it has lead me to, has taught me that (or at least made me thing about the fact that) the things most people think matter (money, job, status, and pretty much everything between) don't really matter, and that the way we live life in this society is not necessarily the best at all.
And here I fully agree with you.

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 2:48 pm

To never accept the media's narrative. Not just in this case, but in all cases.

That no research, counseling or intervention will ever dissuade these people who are wholeheartedly committed.

That these crimes will never stop.

That mental illness is prevalent in these events, or at least abnormal thought processes.

Recognizing these factors have made my life easier, in that I don't obsess over the "What ifs" and the "Whys".

I would even venture that the same conclusions can be applied to all the other mass shootings. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 80011
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Tomb wrote:
To never accept the media's narrative. Not just in this case, but in all cases.

That no research, counseling or intervention will ever dissuade these people who are wholeheartedly committed.

That these crimes will never stop.

That mental illness is prevalent in these events, or at least abnormal thought processes.

Recognizing these factors have made my life easier, in that I don't obsess over the "What ifs" and the "Whys".

I would even venture that the same conclusions can be applied to all the other mass shootings. Just my opinion.

Agreed on all

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 6:16 pm

That the grey area is about 96%, the white 2% and the black 2% aswell.
Back to top Go down
Justjenna

Contribution Points : 67390
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 11:46 pm

That I'll never get an answer for WHY.

And that no amount of research will bring healing.

But I'll never stop trying anyway
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 6:11 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I agree wholeheartedly. When you can move past the WHYS and WHAT IFS, it becomes a lot easier. Like most people, I searched for those answers and never found one that made sense. So I gave those two unanswerable conundrums up and delved into research that is way more important than the WHYS.
Back to top Go down
myshame

Contribution Points : 75244

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 9:50 pm

WendlaBergman wrote:

Actually, reading Dylan's diary made me sympathize with him a whole lot less. His rambling about halcyons tipped me off that it wasn't just depression that he had.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?   What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What lessons have you learned during your Columbine research?
Page 1 of 1