Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin

Go down 
+10
23september
Screamingophelia
afrrs
LPorter101
04daviszoe
Selah
Freezingmoon
lol
WendlaBergman
lasttrain
14 posters
AuthorMessage
lasttrain

Contribution Points : 102088
Forum Reputation : 74

Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Empty
PostSubject: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 11:49 am

It is often assumed that Dylan was attempting to kill Lance Kirklin but shot his jaw instead.

I believe there is evidence that Dylan was specifically targeting his jaw.

In the basement tapes Dylan remarks about a sophomore student (not Lance), ""He doesn’t deserve the jaw evolution gave him . . . look for his jaw. It won’t be on his body.”

This is surprisingly prophetic of what Dylan actually did during the shooting. I have to wonder if the injury to Lance did not stem from Dylan's hatred of his own body. Dylan of course had a very prominent jawline. In the basement tapes he seems to be angry about another student having a good one. I think most of you would agree that high school boys do not go around thinking about jawlines unless they have a problem with their own.

Which leads me to wonder whether the injury to Kirklin was deliberate, a specific form of bodily self-hatred which Dylan externalized by destroying the jaw of another student? True, Kirklin was not the sophomore in question, but the parallels between the prediction and the injury to Lance are eerie.
Back to top Go down
WendlaBergman

Contribution Points : 89899
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 12:49 pm

That's a really interesting connection I had never made before. That makes a lot of sense, especially about Dylan being self-conscious of his jawline. I actually can relate to him on that level. I have a small chest and when I was in high school I hated it and was jealous of girls with bigger ones. I didn't realize that a lot of guys actually like that. Dylan apparently didn't realize that a lot of girls like a strong jawline and chin like his, either (it's a uniquely masculine trait). Only seeing one type of whatever feature be idealized can screw with a person's mind. It's a shame neither guy realized how handsome he was and it's an even bigger shame that it's so common among teens to feel the same way.
Back to top Go down
lol

Contribution Points : 102672
Forum Reputation : 325

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 7:24 pm

Very interesting thread...

The sophomore student that Dylan was speaking about was Brandon Larson. But I believe it's an eerie coincidence. I don't think Dylan really cared much if a person had a better jawline than him, or not. As a matter of fact I don't think he even noticed that at all. Why? Because when Dylan mentioned Brandon another time on the basements he said that Brandon Larson will have his knife through his head.

He really disliked that kid, and I wish we knew of the story between the two, along with Eric and Dan Lab. I believe Dan Lab, and Brandon were good friends.

Also, yes. Dylan had a strong jawline, but a slightly awkward chin (That Jay Leno chin) lol
Back to top Go down
Freezingmoon

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 77395

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Where did you guys read that Dylan was self conscious about his jaw?
Back to top Go down
Selah

Selah

Contribution Points : 80433

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 8:31 pm

Interesting. I've heard that theory before, and I wouldn't be surprised.
Back to top Go down
04daviszoe
Banned

Contribution Points : 79045
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 2:43 pm

Freezingmoon wrote:

The only thing I've ever read about Dylan being self conscious about his appearance actually came from Dave Cullen's book. *shudder* It reads:

"Dylan was taller and even smarter than Eric, but considerably less handsome. Dylan hated the oversized features on his slightly lopsided face. His nose especially-he saw it as a giant blob. Dylan saw the worst version of himself."

Not really sure where he got that kind of information from but if someone can prove me wrong, please do. Smile

I also have a quote by Susan Klebold taken from her interview from Far From The Tree. It's not so much about Dylan's appearance, but I think it's still fairly relevant. Smile

"Dylan's writing is full of "I'm smarter than they are," Sue said. "He experienced disdain for the people who were mistreating him. He liked to think of himself as perfect, I think.."
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 150436
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 3:12 pm

04daviszoe wrote:
Freezingmoon wrote:

The only thing I've ever read about Dylan being self conscious about his appearance actually came from Dave Cullen's book. *shudder* It reads:

"Dylan was taller and even smarter than Eric, but considerably less handsome. Dylan hated the oversized features on his slightly lopsided face. His nose especially-he saw it as a giant blob. Dylan saw the worst version of himself."

Not really sure where he got that kind of information from but if someone can prove me wrong, please do. Smile

I also have a quote by Susan Klebold taken from her interview from Far From The Tree. It's not so much about Dylan's appearance, but I think it's still fairly relevant. Smile

"Dylan's writing is full of "I'm smarter than they are," Sue said. "He experienced disdain for the people who were mistreating him. He liked to think of himself as perfect, I think.."

It's not "I'm smarter than they are," it's, "I'm smarter than they are, but they have fun all the time and I never do! What's up with that?"

Being smart, in and of itself, is not worth a whole lot in this world. You have to have balls as well as brains. Dylan lacked the former.

Elliot Rodger went on and on and on about how wonderful he was - how handsome and charming. Do you think he truly believed that he was all that handsome and charming?

Maybe he did - I don't know. But it seems to me that guys who truly are handsome and charming don't have to go around saying "I'm handsome and charming" every five minutes.

afrrs

Contribution Points : 80058

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 3:34 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
04daviszoe wrote:
Freezingmoon wrote:

It's not "I'm smarter than they are," it's, "I'm smarter than they are, but they have fun all the time and I never do! What's up with that?"

Being smart, in and of itself, is not worth a whole lot in this world. You have to have balls as well as brains. Dylan lacked the former.

Elliot Rodger went on and on and on about how wonderful he was - how handsome and charming. Do you think he truly believed that he was all that handsome and charming?

Maybe he did - I don't know. But it seems to me that guys who truly are handsome and charming don't have to go around saying "I'm handsome and charming" every five minutes.

i agree .
Back to top Go down
04daviszoe
Banned

Contribution Points : 79045
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 3:43 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
04daviszoe wrote:
Freezingmoon wrote:

I'm proud you managed to restrain yourself from making a comment on Dave Cullen's should I say "perception". Laughing
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 150436
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 5:09 pm

04daviszoe wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:
04daviszoe wrote:
Freezingmoon wrote:

I'm proud you managed to restrain yourself from making a comment on Dave Cullen's should I say "perception". Laughing

It wasn't easy. Very Happy

Eric wrote that he hated the way he looked.

Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193132
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 6:47 pm

When I hear about Lance it gets me thinking about how Dylan was in the cafeteria, getting orders from Eric, not shooting as much makes me wonder if he shot to injure?

Then he got more “into” it in the library.

I don’t totally buy into it, it’s just a thought.

Contribution Points : 66190
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 9:59 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
When I hear about Lance it gets me thinking about how Dylan was in the cafeteria, getting orders from Eric, not shooting as much makes me wonder if he shot to injure?

what kind of orders?
Back to top Go down
23september

Contribution Points : 66190
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 10:02 am

it's a really good observation, I've never thought of it that way. Like you said, it's weird to point out how Larson didn't deserve his jaw unless you have a complex about your own.

As for Kirklin and getting shot in the jaw, it's anyones guess. I do think its a strong possibility!
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 10:04 am

23september wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

what kind of orders?

According to witnesses Eric kept telling Dylan to "Shoot there, go over there, check this" Wasn't it Dylan who initially went into the cafeteria to see why the bombs didn't go off?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 10:51 am

23september wrote:
it's a really good observation, I've never thought of it that way. Like you said, it's weird to point out how Larson didn't deserve his jaw unless you have a complex about your own.

As for Kirklin and getting shot in the jaw, it's anyones guess. I do think its a strong possibility!

I agree! I have never really connected Dylan's statement to what happened to Lance until just now either! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 11:12 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
23september wrote:

I agree! I have never really connected Dylan's statement to what happened to Lance until just now either! Shocked

I don't know if he knew Lance, I wonder if he just wanted to wound him, he didn't kill Sean either, just stepped on him. Dylan was cruel through his words more so than Eric was... it's interesting.

It's interesting because it does seem to be a symbol of being more masculine, having a strong jawline. My ex was VERY jealous of other mens jaws..

The thing is though, Dylan had a strong jaw.He was just consumed in all of his depression and self hate, he failed to see anything good about him and just became this monster in some ways.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 11:28 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
23september wrote:

I don't know if he knew Lance, I wonder if he just wanted to wound him, he didn't kill Sean either, just stepped on him. Dylan was cruel through his words more so than Eric was... it's interesting.

It's interesting because it does seem to be a symbol of being more masculine, having a strong jawline. My ex was VERY jealous of other mens jaws..

The thing is though, Dylan had a strong jaw. He had no clue how handsome he was and how a LOT of women would be very down for what Dylan was giving, but he was stuck in his own shit with depression and who knows what else?

Sorry... edging towards edgy territory, I will step back.

I wont say that I believe that this was the reason he shot Lance in the face. BUT it does make you think back over that incident considering what he had said.

Also if you are trying to wound someone you wouldn't normally aim for their head. I think he was just trying to finish him off.

Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 12:01 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
23september wrote:

The thing is though, Dylan had a strong jaw. He had no clue how handsome he was and how a LOT of women would be very down for what Dylan was giving, but he was stuck in his own shit with depression and who knows what else?

Sorry... edging towards edgy territory, I will step back.

I wont say that I believe that this was the reason he shot Lance in the face. BUT it does make you think back over that incident considering what he had said.

Also if you are trying to wound someone you wouldn't normally aim for their head. I think he was just trying to finish him off.

That's true. Brandon Larson was probably pretty shocked to hear the vitriol against him.
Back to top Go down
le4chainorc

Contribution Points : 56864

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 pm

I think they were shooting randomly, just like in the library.
Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

Contribution Points : 83163

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 7:22 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
04daviszoe wrote:
Freezingmoon wrote:

Yup, insecurities and self defense mechs... E/D and the Rodger kid had very poor self esteem and it mushroomed into peril. America is so tough on perceptions and it's a shame as each of the three could have matured into something special if the mental side were to be addressed.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120278
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 pm

Fatheroftwo wrote:
E/D and the Rodger kid had very poor self esteem and it mushroomed into peril.

Tbh I think Eric and Dylan (Eric more so) are like Roger in many ways.

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 7:54 am

QuestionMark wrote:
Fatheroftwo wrote:
E/D and the Rodger kid had very poor self esteem and it mushroomed into peril.

Tbh I think Eric and Dylan (Eric more so) are like Roger in many ways.
Rodger is like Cho as well. It's like he's a blend of Eric Harris and Seung Hui Cho.
Back to top Go down
TaylorsMom

TaylorsMom

Contribution Points : 77942
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 12:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]... I completely agree!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Nah he probably wanted it to be all cinematic because they thought a director was gonna make a movie on them. TARANTINO NOT SPIELBERG GAWD!!!!!!!!!

He probably tried to make Lance's head explode or something but then was like "ah shit, just gonna go check on the bombs then." If Lance hadn't been outside and so easy to retrieve he probably would've died and Dylan probably figured he would've died from the shot. I mean Dave Sanders was shot in both shoulders once and died so if Lance was in a hallway or the library he might've died if nobody picked him up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin   Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dylan and the injury to Lance Kirklin
Page 1 of 1