Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?

Go down 
+3
VOD101
Lizpuff
shades
7 posters
AuthorMessage
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 78986
Forum Reputation : 38

Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Empty
PostSubject: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 8:06 am

Which of their known comrades could have possibly successfully stopped them from doing the massacre - this is of course, NBK had been found out by them. Connected to this, do we think one or two of their friends caught wind of what the boys are planning but let it slide?

edit: To rephrase my question,what I mean, who would Eric and Dylan actually listen to, had they been confronted about their plan + suicide.

Last edited by ultraviolencelv on Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 95424
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 8:40 am

Who possibly knew something? Chris, Zach and Nate. They all denied it but I think all had little inklings of things. If they had ever had a conversation and put the comments they had heard together...I think they might have known.

Nate helped Eric strip out fireworks, Chris was witness to the many bombs and bomb talk that Eric and Dylan had at Blackjack, and Zach was a sounding board for Dylan and Eric as well.

Nate said in his testimony over and over if he had known the plan he would have turned them in. I think all of them probably would have.

Then the question would be, Would Jeffco do anything about it? Would they make another blunder and "lose the search warrant" or bury the case at all.

shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 am

Lizpuff wrote:
Who possibly knew something? Chris, Zach and Nate. They all denied it but I think all had little inklings of things. If they had ever had a conversation and put the comments they had heard together...I think they might have known.

Nate helped Eric strip out fireworks, Chris was witness to the many bombs and bomb talk that Eric and Dylan had at Blackjack, and Zach was a sounding board for Dylan and Eric as well.

Nate said in his testimony over and over if he had known the plan he would have turned them in. I think all of them probably would have.

Then the question would be, Would Jeffco do anything about it? Would they make another blunder and "lose the search warrant" or bury the case at all.

Thank you. very good point. I think if they had found out though, the thing is would they have successfully stopped them, that's the thing, so there wouldn't need to be a police report at all. I do agree too the ones who'd have the most power to stop them is those three, yes.

And holy sh*t. They've been doing all those stuff with the boys and no alarm bells rang?

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 9:42 am

I think if they found out, they'd simply talk to the boys about it. They would give them a pass and not turn them in and be like, hey, you guys are crazy, please don't go on killing people.

This includes Robyn too. How dense can you be to casually aid your friend to buy a firearm. Oh just for "hunting"? really? I think when she did that, she just didn't wanna let Dylan down.

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 9:48 am

liquorvamp wrote:
I think if they found out, they'd simply talk to the boys about it. They would give them a pass and not turn them in and be like, hey, you guys are crazy, please don't go on killing people.

This includes Robyn too. How dense can you be to casually aid your friend to buy a firearm. Oh just for "hunting"? really? I think when she did that, she just didn't wanna let Dylan down.

Yes Robyn said many things. They were hunting, they were for target practice, she knew people who kept guns just to display them so they were going to just display them....

Oh Robyn....she wanted him to like her so she did it. Poor girl.

Who was it...Zach or Nate that actually saw the pipe bomb....I can't remember which boy it was. In any case if I knew my friend was going to shoot up a school I wouldn't try to stop them myself. I would turn them in.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 10:10 am

For me, I would talk it amongst ourselves first. The con is, they may say to me oh sure I'll stop, I'm not gonna kill anyone, are you crazy? and then the next day their faces would be on the news. So yeah I guess reporting to a higher up would ensure that legal actions had been taken, and 4/20 could've been prevented.

I can't help but think those three boys might've had enough power to stop them though. Chris was the one who rushed down to the school and thought he could go in and talk to them before it was too late and the cops cuffed him.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
VOD101

VOD101

Contribution Points : 92751
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 10:16 am

It's easy to put all the clues together in hindsight. In most cases talking about doing something is lot's more different than actually doing it. We've had 17 years to learn E&D's behavior and emotions. I personally don't think the signs would of been that obvious for anyone. IMO. Although who would buy a tech-9 for hunting ^^ but someone who doesn't know about guns or hunting wont know no different.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 10:21 am

VOD101 wrote:
It's easy to put all the clues together in hindsight. In most cases talking about doing something is lot's more different than actually doing it. We've had 17 years to learn E&D's behavior and emotions. I personally don't think the signs would of been that obvious for anyone. IMO. Although who would buy a tech-9 for hunting ^^ but someone who doesn't know about guns or hunting wont know no different.

Very true!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Yea he did offer to try to talk to them if need be but I think he originally went to the school to find Nicole. And then when he realized what was going on let the cops take him.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 10:29 am

Lizpuff wrote:
@liquorvamp Yea he did offer to try to talk to them if need be but I think he originally went to the school to find Nicole. And then when he realized what was going on let the cops take him.
Who? Hhahah sorry? Who's nicole?
Oh okay, now I know

Last edited by ultraviolencelv on Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 10:30 am

VOD101 wrote:
It's easy to put all the clues together in hindsight. In most cases talking about doing something is lot's more different than actually doing it. We've had 17 years to learn E&D's behavior and emotions. I personally don't think the signs would of been that obvious for anyone. IMO.
Of course of course...I mean, right now I could have someone planning an abduction around me and I wouldn't get it.

VOD101

Contribution Points : 92751

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 10:53 am

If however the altercation with Eric and Brookes happened just before the massacre. I felt he could've done something other than run home. I'm not sure how much of what he says is true, but he could be one of E&D's friends that could've maybe stopped it (or could of pieced together clues). My columbine knowledge isn't very sharp these days. So maybe there is more i'm not aware of.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 10:57 am

liquorvamp wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Yea he did offer to try to talk to them if need be but I think he originally went to the school to find Nicole. And then when he realized what was going on let the cops take him.
Who? Hhahah sorry? Who's nicole. Oh okay, now I know.

I think you got it now but his girlfriend Nicole Markum

shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 10:58 am

VOD101 wrote:
If however the altercation with Eric and Brookes happened just before the massacre. I felt he could've done something other than run home. I'm not sure how much of what he says is true, but he could be one of E&D's friends that could've maybe stopped it (or could of pieced together clues). My columbine knowledge isn't very sharp these days. So maybe there is more i'm not aware of.

In terms of Brooks himself, I highly doubt Eric would listen to him. Lol Eric hates his guts. Dylan though.....ssss..mmm....maybe? But not as much as probably Nate or Zack. And anyway Brooks' parents already called dibs on reporting Eric to the police and still no follow-up.

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 10:59 am

Lizpuff wrote:

No I didn't. ah okay. Markum.

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 11:00 am

VOD101 wrote:

I do think Brooks met with Eric right before. Just because that part of the story has not changed much. I know he is a known liar but I do believe it. Who knows what was running thru his mind at that time. He obv made a mistake but again as was said...hindsight.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 11:01 am

liquorvamp wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:

No I didn't. ah okay. Markum.
AH ok I misread your comment sorry!
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 11:06 am

Lizpuff wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I do think Brooks met with Eric right before. Just because that part of the story has not changed much. I know he is a known liar but I do believe it. Who knows what was running thru his mind at that time. He obv made a mistake but again as was said...hindsight.

Also that encounter was on the day itself. Nothing was gonna get in their way then. I guess I'm thinking the time prior to 4/20...the people who influenced or fed the idea to E&D could hold the possibility of pulling a 360 on them and have them change their minds. Divert them to a positive outlook maybe. Distract them.

Contribution Points : 72623

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 11:11 am

I think Susan would have had a better chance of stopping them, particularly Eric.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 11:15 am

aquillina wrote:
I think Susan would have had a better chance of stopping them, particularly Eric.
So if she found out, she could have a good, deep conversation with Eric?

Hm, possibly. From her letter it sounds like she's delicate and willing enough to hear him out. That is, if the timing had been right, maybe if they had a relationship, and she knew how to approach Eric the right way. However, if he changed his mind, told Dylan to call it off because of a girl, Dylan might blow a fuse. His reaction to his buddy having ties with a girlfriend threw him off so bad he wanted to kill the girl (Devon).

Contribution Points : 72623

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 12:01 pm

liquorvamp wrote:
aquillina wrote:
So if she found out, she could have a good, deep conversation with Eric?

Hm, possibly. From her letter it sounds like she's delicate and willing enough to hear him out. That is, if the timing had been right, maybe if they had a relationship, and she knew how to approach Eric the right way. However, if he changed his mind, told Dylan to call it off because of a girl, Dylan might blow a fuse. His reaction to his buddy having ties with a girlfriend threw him off so bad he wanted to kill the girl (Devon).

It would have to be within a year before the massacre and they would have to have formed a deep bond with each other. Somehow though I doubt Susan would ever find out about Eric's intentions because he did pretty good job at hiding. She would have to accidentally stumble upon it.

I've never heard of Dylan wanting to kill Devon. Where did you read that from?

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 12:13 pm

aquillina wrote:
It would have to be within a year before the massacre and they would have to have formed a deep bond with each other. Somehow though I doubt Susan would ever find out about Eric's intentions because he did pretty good job at hiding. She would have to accidentally stumble upon it.

I've never heard of Dylan wanting to kill Devon. Where did you read that from?

He didn't mean to murder her but it was a written rant out of jealousy + rage:

"It is not good for me right now (like it ever is)... but anyway... My best friend ever: the friend who shared, experimented, laughed, took chances with, & appreciated me more than any friend ever did has been has been ordained.... "passed on".... in my book. Ever since [edited] (who I wouldnt mind killing) has loved him... thats the only place hes been: with her... If anyone had any idea how sad I am... I mean we were the TEAM. When him & I first were friends, hell I finally found someone who was like me: who appreciated me & showed very common interests. Ever since 7th grade ive felt lonely... when [edited] came around, I finally felt hapiness (sometimes)... we did cigars, drinking, sabotage to houses, EVERYTHING for the first time together. & now that he's"moved on" I feel so lonely, w/o a friend. Oh well, maybe he'll come around------>... I hope."

It's been speculated that's about Devon and Zach.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 12:59 pm

IDK about Susan. I am sure Eric was very nice to her on their date, but he also sounds to have done a ton of complaining. In her letter Susan spoke highly of Eric and stated there could have been something but we will never know.

I think there could have been a relationship between the two, but Eric could never keep girls long. We have no way of knowing if she would have stuck around long enough.

rockiemontana

Contribution Points : 74486

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 2:00 pm

You know i kind of doubt they would have listened to anybody. They had everything invested in nbk. Maybe the only thing that would have stopped it would have been something beyond their control. If whatshisname (manes?) wouldnt have purchased the ammo for example. Nbk was put off a day for that reason. Or if one of their friends had suspected something and tuurned them in... Assuming that the authorities would actually act on that info. Whatever , it would have had to be outside of their control.

As far as their friends figuring it out beforehand, boys will be boys and most boys like things that go boom. The fireworks and bomb making likely didnt even raise any eyebows with their friends. But hindsight being 20/20 they most likely saw it all after the fact
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 2:11 pm

rockiemontana wrote:
You know i kind of doubt they would have listened to anybody. They had everything invested in nbk. Maybe the only thing that would have stopped it would have been something beyond their control.  If whatshisname (manes?) wouldnt have purchased the ammo for example.  Nbk was put off a day for that reason.  Or if one of their friends had suspected something and tuurned them in... Assuming that the authorities would actually act on that info.  Whatever , it would have had to be outside of their control.  

As far as their friends figuring it out beforehand, boys will be boys and most boys like things that go boom.  The fireworks and bomb making likely didnt even raise any eyebows with their friends.  But hindsight being 20/20 they most likely saw it all after the fact

I am a bit iffy on the whole Mark delayed NBK by a day. I believe at one point Eric stated on the BT that he hope the weather gets better before Tuesday so that he can have his fires. And that was well before any of the ammunition stuff. It is true though that Mark forgot to buy the ammo until late on Monday.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 3:34 pm

rockiemontana wrote:
You know i kind of doubt they would have listened to anybody. They had everything invested in nbk. Maybe the only thing that would have stopped it would have been something beyond their control.
I agree. This is a good point and not a wrong one at all to make.

Words mean things and I guess it's just in my hypothetical fantasy or something that the right person prob someone they're intimidated by and a combination of the right words, could just call the whole thing off.

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 3:49 pm

Perhaps them being set on making NBK happen goes together with making sure they go out via suicide, and that's the one thing that keeps their plan uninterrupted. To make it easier to execute, they made sure that they had to die. However this is more of a benefit for Dylan cause Eric seemed to be more interested in the killing of people and killing himself was obligatory in result of doing so. I was set to thinking that suicide was what kept the fuel going for both but now I'm realising this was Dylan's mantra and maybe lesser for Eric. Eric, probably kept his hopes up with the bombs. and cause it failed that day, unfortunately he might've been the disappointed one of the two that day. As someone had mentioned to me here in another thread, Dylan was loyal and respectable enough towards his friend for keeping up the entire thing with him right up till the end where they finally shot themselves, and ironically Eric did it first.

Cause boy he wasn't going to stall and give himself time to realise what a failure his awaited fantasy was.

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 4:52 pm

ultraviolencelv wrote:
Perhaps them being set on making NBK happen goes together with making sure they go out via suicide, and that's the one thing that keeps their plan uninterrupted. To make it easier to execute, they made sure that they had to die. However this is more of a benefit for Dylan cause Eric seemed to be more interested in the killing of people and killing himself was obligatory in result of doing so. I was set to thinking that suicide was what kept the fuel going for both but now I'm realising this was Dylan's mantra and maybe lesser for Eric. Eric, probably kept his hopes up with the bombs. and cause it failed that day, unfortunately he might've been the disappointed one of the two that day. As someone had mentioned to me here in another thread, Dylan was loyal and respectable enough towards his friend for keeping up the entire thing with him right up till the end where they finally shot themselves, and ironically Eric did it first.

Cause boy he wasn't going to stall and give himself time to realise what a failure his awaited fantasy was.

IDK I wonder if even Dylan was surprised that Eric killed himself first. I mean I saw a theory on here at one point stating that Dylan took time to take off his jewelry and that was because he was trying to waste time to see if Eric would go thru with it. Well then I found out that the police took off his jewelry not Dylan. So I was just wondering to myself....I mean we can't really know how much time elapsed between the suicides....Was Dylan over here lighting a bomb and turns around and boom Eric is just dead? I don't know. But it is interesting to think about.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 9:42 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
Was Dylan over here lighting a bomb and turns around and boom Eric is just dead? I don't know. But it is interesting to think about.
I think it's just like that. In my mind they didn't say anything and it just happened. Meaning Dylan didn't get a warning either. Cause I've tried to imagine the most realistic thing possible and not the corny scenarios people have envisioned between the both of them.

spinvault

Contribution Points : 72578

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 3:13 pm

ultraviolencelv wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:
Was Dylan over here lighting a bomb and turns around and boom Eric is just dead? I don't know. But it is interesting to think about.
I think it's just like that. In my mind they didn't say anything and it just happened. Meaning Dylan didn't get a warning either. Cause I've tried to imagine the most realistic thing possible and not the corny scenarios people have envisioned between the both of them.

I think when they looked out of the library windows and saw all the police and for all they knew the Swat teams were already nearing the library,Eric not wanting to be captured alive and feeling failure in the bombs not detonating as they planned, I think Eric just wanted it to be over. Maybe they had hand signals for suicide, I don't know.I think they went to an open space and while Dylan was lighting a bomb,Eric killed himself. When Dylan heard and saw what Eric had done, I think he took a second or two to appreciate the moment was now he had yearned for a long time, knelt down by Eric and committed suicide.
Back to top Go down
ThoughtBox

ThoughtBox

Contribution Points : 83171
Forum Reputation : 13

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 3:57 pm

I'm not so sure any of them could have changed their minds about it once the grand plan was in motion, but obviously, if any one of them found out AND thought there was a credible chance E/D would actually go through with it, then the jig would be up and it likely wouldn't have happened the way it did regardless.

“Despair is the price one pays for self-awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.” -- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 4:24 am

ThoughtBox wrote:
I'm not so sure any of them could have changed their minds about it once the grand plan was in motion, but obviously, if any one of them found out AND thought there was a credible chance E/D would actually go through with it, then the jig would be up and it likely wouldn't have happened the way it did regardless.
Yeah. reason being for my question is that I guess I'm wondering who amongst their group of friends was actually intimidating and powerful enough as a person of course, to be able to tell either one or the both of them that they're crazy and please don't go shooting up a school. However that the conversation may go down, that's already fantasy but I'm just sayin'.

PostSubject: Re: Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?   Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which of Eric and Dylan's Friends Could Have Stopped Them?
Page 1 of 1