Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eric and Antidepressants

Go down 
+4
shades
jada887
Lizpuff
abstractsmigs
8 posters
AuthorMessage
abstractsmigs

abstractsmigs

Contribution Points : 71248
Forum Reputation : 0

Eric and Antidepressants  Empty
PostSubject: Eric and Antidepressants    Eric and Antidepressants  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 5:03 pm

I know he was taking antidepressants, but I remember reading somewhere that he was not taking them as prescribed, he was taking them on and off at his own will.

I cannot check to see if this is true because I do not remember where I read it. Does anyone know?
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 95449
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Antidepressants    Eric and Antidepressants  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 8:37 am

Iirc it was Brooks who stated that Eric was going on and off of the Luvox to gain "awareness". He mentions it in his reddit AMA.

abstractsmigs

abstractsmigs

Contribution Points : 71248

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Antidepressants    Eric and Antidepressants  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
Iirc it was Brooks who stated that Eric was going on and off of the Luvox to gain "awareness".  He mentions it in his reddit AMA.

Thank you, I read that AMA a few years ago and that was probably what I was thinking of. I took a screenshot:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The logic behind it is interesting lol, that must have been crazy for the chemicals in his head. I wonder if Eric got his "greater self-awareness" from this experiment.
Back to top Go down
jada887

jada887

Contribution Points : 74803
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Antidepressants    Eric and Antidepressants  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 12:42 am

Lizpuff wrote:
Iirc it was Brooks who stated that Eric was going on and off of the Luvox to gain "awareness".  He mentions it in his reddit AMA.

Once you stop taking strong, immediate release, antidepressant medications, like Zoloft and Luvox, your pre-existing mental health conditions deteriorate rapidly. If you had anger management issues before Luxov, you will feel extreme irritation and anger. I don't know how often Eric skipped on his medication, but from what Brooks has mentioned, I doubt he did it quite often.  Luvox is also an extended-time release SSRI, which blunts most nasty side-effects because the drug is released slowly into the body in order to compensate the serotonin imbalance. Given what I know, Eric might have skipped one or two days because the medication was actually working, although his autospy showed that he was on a low dosage.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 79011
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Antidepressants    Eric and Antidepressants  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 2:14 pm

jada887 wrote:
Once you stop taking strong, immediate release, antidepressant medications, like Zoloft and Luvox, your pre-existing mental health conditions deteriorate rapidly. If you had anger management issues before Luxov, you will feel extreme irritation and anger. I don't know how often Eric skipped on his medication, but from what Brooks has mentioned, I doubt he did it quite often. Luvox is also an extended-time release SSRI, which blunts most nasty side-effects because the drug is released slowly into the body in order to compensate the serotonin imbalance. Given what I know, Eric might have skipped one or two days because the medication was actually working, although his autospy showed that he was on a low dosage.
Very detailed explanation, thank you!

TaylorsMom

Contribution Points : 77317
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Antidepressants    Eric and Antidepressants  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 10:18 pm

I myself was on Zoloft a few years ago for quite sometime...this is not the type of antidepressant you can take as you please. When I decided to wean off from Zoloft, it was pure hell. It's true what [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] said, my depression and anxiety came back two fold. I started a new antidepressant and I'm fine now but that initial week weaning off from it sucked. Not only did all my symptoms come rushing back to me...My head was all "foggy" feeling, fatigued, extremely irritable and nauseated. If this is how Eric felt on the days he went without Luvox or whatever that he could've felt similar side effects? I know everyone reacts differently to certain medications but I can tell you that I was not myself at all!!!
Back to top Go down
Nirvana92

Nirvana92

Contribution Points : 82489
Forum Reputation : 80

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Antidepressants    Eric and Antidepressants  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2016 12:53 am

Anyone interested in the case should read up on "hypomania". It's a common reaction in people who are allergic to antidepressants. Brood claimed Eric would go on and off his medication to "gain self awareness", and Eric had already complained about one antidepressant making him feel anxious. IMO Eric was misprescribed which further exacerbated his anger issues.
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

Contribution Points : 72520

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Antidepressants    Eric and Antidepressants  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Nirvana92 wrote:
Anyone interested in the case should read up on "hypomania". It's a common reaction in people who are allergic to antidepressants. Brood claimed Eric would go on and off his medication to "gain self awareness", and Eric had already complained about one antidepressant making him feel anxious. IMO Eric was misprescribed which further exacerbated his anger issues.
To be honest, I doubt Brooks claim.  In all likelihood Eric never mentioned his use of Luvox to Brooks.  Luvox (Fluoxetine) was a drug my son was on and not that my little man was old enough to find self awareness but I doubt Eric who wasn't all that close to Brooks would have brought this issue up to begin with.  There is no misprescibing.  It really is voodoo dealing with mental illness.  They have no idea what treats what, just good ideas based on statistical analysis with prescription drugs.  

I deal with it with my son and "dialing" him in is fucking Voodoo.  And I no way blame his psychiatrist.  She's good but acknowledges how little we as humans know about the brain.  

Personally I think Eric should never have been on drugs but I doubt they[Luvox] contributed to his end game in the grand scheme of things.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 79011
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Antidepressants    Eric and Antidepressants  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Yeah, I wish it could've been observed how he was say Eric didn't go on drugs and if things went his way. Would he actually be calm and normal. Happy even. But even so he was still in Columbine. School life was giving him problems and it's his lack of endurance and his blow ups that give him hell.

Imperator

Contribution Points : 72520

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Antidepressants    Eric and Antidepressants  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 6:17 pm

shades wrote:
Yeah, I wish it could've been observed how he was say Eric didn't go on drugs and if things went his way. Would he actually be calm and normal. Happy even. But even so he was still in Columbine. School life was giving him problems and it's his lack of endurance and his blow ups that give him hell.

If Eric was on a prescribed drug it's likely his mother would have "nagged" him to take it.  I know.  I nag my son to take it. Translation I and my wife make sure he does. I don't know the half life of Luvox but my son was off prozac (trial and error with "dialing" in voodoo re: mental illness) in about a month or so.  Some of the half lives of these drugs are just a few hours.  Could be out of your system in a day.  Besides if Eric was truly suicidal (son is too young to be suicidal) I doubt he was finding any self awareness in that.  Clinical depression is really fucked up so not something to go off of unless it clouded your clarity (self awareness?)  I think Eric would have seen that more in his concentration and decision making.  I just don't think there is enough evidence to suggest he went off and on at leisure.
Back to top Go down
Freezingmoon

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 76770

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Antidepressants    Eric and Antidepressants  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 3:12 am

Nirvana92 wrote:

I experienced hypomania while on SSRI anti-depressants. They made me want to do things I'd never even thought about doing prior to taking the medication.  It was awful and I felt no relief for my depression.  This really does make me wonder about Eric. I  wonder if his medication worsened his issues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eric and Antidepressants    Eric and Antidepressants  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eric and Antidepressants
Page 1 of 1