Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Columbine memorial is falling apart

Go down 
+6
sororityalpha
Amarantha
shades
Draw_It_White
Jbow89
LPorter101
10 posters
AuthorMessage
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 147925
Forum Reputation : 2502

The Columbine memorial is falling apart Empty
PostSubject: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeSun 5 Mar 2017 - 5:56

Contribution Points : 74235
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeSun 5 Mar 2017 - 8:46

Sad.

Maybe since the 20th anniversary is coming up in 2 years they'll redo the whole thing?
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 97168
Forum Reputation : 104

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeSun 5 Mar 2017 - 10:25

So what are the actual reasons than for it to have huge cracks in the floor and things? Was it poorly done in the first place? I could see a busy road with traffic causing things like this to happen but I can't believe the footfall at the memorial could cause such a mess! Does the weather play a part?

$15,000 is quite a lot of money to maintain the memorial but with a school the size of Columbine you wouldn't think they'd have a problem raising that kind of money. When I was at school we always seemed to be fundraising for some sort of cause. There's what, 2,000 students go to the school? That's like $7.50 per kid a year. As an example (I know they couldn't do this at Columbine as they don't wear a uniform) we'd have quarterly non-uniform days with a suggested donation of $2. That'd have the money raised right there.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 78986
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeSun 5 Mar 2017 - 11:21

I don't want it to fall apart. I hope the community would get together and raise funds to fix it if needed.

Draw_It_White

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeSun 5 Mar 2017 - 11:33

It's only about 10 years old too isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Amarantha

Amarantha

Contribution Points : 71722
Forum Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeSun 5 Mar 2017 - 11:52

That's quite a lot of damage for such a quiet and peaceful place. The cracks on the concrete almost resemble seismic activity... Neutral

Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 121538
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeSun 5 Mar 2017 - 14:21

The Memorial was opened in September 2007.
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeSun 5 Mar 2017 - 14:36

sororityalpha wrote:

I wonder why it was so long after the event that it was made and opened? I appreciate they wouldn't have started work on it the week after it happened but 8 years later is quite a wait.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 121538
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeSun 5 Mar 2017 - 14:42

Yes, the Memorial is only 9.5 years old now.
Back to top Go down
Gonz

Gonz

Contribution Points : 84240
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeSun 16 Apr 2017 - 20:52

Draw_It_White wrote:
sororityalpha wrote:

I wonder why it was so long after the event that it was made and opened? I appreciate they wouldn't have started work on it the week after it happened but 8 years later is quite a wait.

Basically, because they couldn't get the money earlier.

The victims families started working on the idea during October 2001, but the final project wasn't unveiled until April 2003. It was then when they began asking for donations, since the idea was to have it ready next year for the 5th anniversary of the shooting. The initial cost estimate for the memorial construction was approximately $3.0 million.

By March 2004 they had only been able to get $700,000 so the construction was delayed indefinitely. In late 2005 the project was scaled down to $1.5 million and by July 2006 they started building it even though the fundraising was $350,000 short of its goal that wasn't reached until April 2007.

There are some news stories here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

Contribution Points : 82513

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeMon 17 Apr 2017 - 21:18

I'll be at the memorial Thursday and report back on conditions. It'll be my first visit in a year/since last 4/20.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 95816
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeThu 20 Apr 2017 - 6:29

I find this very surprising.
As long as any family members of victims are still living,I assumed the memorial would be well-maintained.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeFri 5 May 2017 - 21:43

Memorial to the casual eye still appears fine outside of the concrete. Fairly normal in this area to have this type of failure due to the topography/shifting of soil etc.. There are other signs of traditional wear and tear, but they are as expected and far from critical at this point.

I don't think it was well planned out in regards to long term costs and funding. The memorial itself is very impressive, especially given that it's almost exclusively privately funded. I doubt it's going to slowly get destroyed to the point of an "eye sore", but the resources obviously are readily available or some of these maintenance issues would have been addressed or mitigated.

Back to top Go down
spidEr

spidEr

Contribution Points : 68826
Forum Reputation : 145

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeSat 6 May 2017 - 22:04

Add Eric and Dylan there or nature will keep on destroying it.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 147925
Forum Reputation : 2502

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jun 2017 - 13:04

They're working on it:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jun 2017 - 2:48

LPorter101 wrote:
They're working on it:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

thx for the report, good to hear donations and repairs are in play.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Columbine memorial is falling apart   The Columbine memorial is falling apart Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Columbine memorial is falling apart
Page 1 of 1