Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?

Go down 
+9
Screamingophelia
o7p7a
Jbow89
ColumbineIsInterestingAF
spidEr
W.A.R.
21stcenturyreality
cicero
staplepuffs27
13 posters
AuthorMessage
staplepuffs27

Contribution Points : 63310
Forum Reputation : 0

What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Empty
PostSubject: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeMon May 22, 2017 4:13 pm

After the shooting, was the Trench Coat Mafia still a thing? Did students wear trench coats around school, or did that become taboo and no one did? I wonder if mafia members were avoided due to guilt by association. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
cicero

cicero

Contribution Points : 63891

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeMon May 22, 2017 5:29 pm

I'm sure someone else on the forum can give a better answer as far as the people in the TCM but I think that most schools in the US including Columbine banned trench coats after 4/20/99. There's an image somewhere on the forum showing this part of the Columbine dress code, though I'm not sure how to find it.
Back to top Go down
21stcenturyreality

Contribution Points : 67698

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeMon May 22, 2017 6:34 pm

cicero wrote:
There's an image somewhere on the forum showing this part of the Columbine dress code, though I'm not sure how to find it.
Trench coats are banned at Columbine High School. I found that powerpoint on the school's website.
Back to top Go down
W.A.R.

Contribution Points : 70323
Forum Reputation : 345

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeMon May 22, 2017 8:21 pm

I don't think the TCM was ever a thing outside of Chris Morris and a few others and it was more of a joke than anything.
Back to top Go down
spidEr

spidEr

Contribution Points : 69576
Forum Reputation : 145

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeMon May 22, 2017 11:46 pm

TCM died before the shooting, only E+D wore tc's towards the end. The others stopped doing it in late 1998. The group did still hang out but they didn't wear the coats anymore. I don't think anyone would dare to wear on there, or any other American school as it would be tied to this. There is still gothic/alternative kids who wear dark clothing and boys with long hair though atCHS.
Back to top Go down
ColumbineIsInterestingAF

Contribution Points : 65512
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 4:35 pm

dont worry, the trench coat mafia will be revived one day. they'll be back, they always come back.

ogcolumbiner6497 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jbow89

Contribution Points : 74985

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 5:33 pm

I was in High School from 2003-2007 and we weren't allowed to wear trench coats or any kind of long coat for that matter.

We also weren't allowed to wear hats but I'm not sure if that was Columbine related...

It's crazy to think how Columbine 1000+ miles away could change school rules nationwide
Back to top Go down
o7p7a

o7p7a

Contribution Points : 64906

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Wow I didn't know trench coats were banned in some schools. Kinda stupid tbh. The coats don't cause any shootings...
Back to top Go down
cicero

cicero

Contribution Points : 63891

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 03, 2017 1:51 am

o7p7a wrote:
Wow I didn't know trench coats were banned in some schools. Kinda stupid tbh. The coats don't cause any shootings...

I don't think it's so much about thinking trench coats caused the shootings than it is about the ability to hide weapons under them (which is what E&D did). At least in the state I grew up in (Deep South US), pretty much all public schools adopted a strict uniform dress code that explicitly prohibited any kind of clothing they thought you could hide weapons under. No baggy/saggy pants, must wear a belt (or have teachers zip tie your pants up), any jackets had to be kept unzipped/unbuttoned any time you were in the school (so no pull-over hoodies or anything like that). The environment in the US school system after Columbine was basically that kids could not be trusted. I heard some schools even installed metal detectors & searched kids bags upon entering.

Oh and we also were not allowed to have cell phones at school AT ALL. You would get suspended or possibly even expelled if caught with one because they were afraid kids would somehow use them to detonate bombs.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193232
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 12:41 pm

We had kids who wore Trench Coats in my HS, they were considered chic and cool. I always wanted one but I'm 5 foot even so they swallow me up. Our school 2,000 miles away banned them after and made everyone with a trench go to the office for a talking to.

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
We had kids who wore Trench Coats in my HS, they were considered chic and cool. I always wanted one but I'm 5 foot even so they swallow me up. Our school 2,000 miles away banned them after and made everyone with a trench go to the office for a talking to.

I am also short, 5'1, it sucks sometimes finding clothes that make you not look like you are playing dress up in an adults clothes. Seriously most capris look like jeans on me. Haha
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193232
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 1:05 pm

You should have seen me in my first suit for my first office job LOL, I also look a lot younger. I have an interview next week and I have to wear business clothes and I have NO clue what to wear. Hoping I can find a black dress to wear with my loan blazer and my red heels...

It was so cold where I grew up and I always asked for a trench coat because my legs were freezing ALL the time. Then after Columbine my mother was like "she was bulled AND wanted a trench coat.. uh oh"

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 1:21 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
You should have seen me in my first suit for my first office job LOL, I also look a lot younger. I have an interview next week and I have to wear business clothes and I have NO clue what to wear. Hoping I can find a black dress to wear with my loan blazer and my red heels...

It was so cold where I grew up and I always asked for a trench coat because my legs were freezing ALL the time. Then after Columbine my mother was like "she was bulled AND wanted a trench coat.. uh oh"

Me in heels is a very scary thing.  Shocked  I have only worn them a few times, as I am very clumsy and accident prone. They seemed to only increased the likely hood of me seriously injuring myself or others around me. LOL
Back to top Go down
1Mare1

1Mare1

Contribution Points : 61569
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 1:52 pm

I have a leather trench coat, they are allowed at my school. So far I've had no unpleasant reactions while wearing it, everyone seems to be okay with it. My dad bought it 30 years ago, it's still in a good shape because it was barely worn. Are trench coats still a taboo in the US?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 1:59 pm

1Mare1 wrote:
I have a leather trench coat, they are allowed at my school. So far I've had no unpleasant reactions while wearing it, everyone seems to be okay with it. My dad bought it 30 years ago, it's still in a good shape because it was barely worn. Are trench coats still a taboo in the US?

In most schools they are against the dress code.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 8:13 pm

The Trench Coat Mafia was blown way out of proportion right after the shooting. They were looking for answers on why the shooting happened. Same with the whole bullying excuse. The media made it sound like Eric and Dylan were getting tortured every single day but they weren't bullied no more than anyone else who gets picked on in high school.
Back to top Go down
1Mare1

1Mare1

Contribution Points : 61569
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 2:06 am

ColumbineBully wrote:
The Trench Coat Mafia was blown way out of proportion right after the shooting. They were looking for answers on why the shooting happened. Same with the whole bullying excuse. The media made it sound like Eric and Dylan were getting tortured every single day but they weren't bullied no more than anyone else who gets picked on in high school.

Trench Coat Mafia disbanded before 4/20. There are documents in the 11k and witness interviews proving how Eric and Dylan were bullied.
Back to top Go down
AestheticDeath

Contribution Points : 67382

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 3:45 am

cicero wrote:
The environment in the US school system after Columbine was basically that kids could not be trusted. I heard some schools even installed metal detectors & searched kids bags upon entering.

Instead of searches my school adopted a policy where you had to be able to see into any school bag. There were these mesh bags with a drawstring that were kind of popular at the time for carrying gym clothes or something light, and a lot of us used those.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 6:41 am

AestheticDeath wrote:
cicero wrote:
The environment in the US school system after Columbine was basically that kids could not be trusted. I heard some schools even installed metal detectors & searched kids bags upon entering.

Instead of searches my school adopted a policy where you had to be able to see into any school bag.  There were these mesh bags with a drawstring that were kind of popular at the time for carrying gym clothes or something light, and a lot of us used those.

The schools in my area had that policy for a little while. You could carry everything by hand or use a mesh bag. The clear back packs were an option too. But it didn't last very long, maybe one year at the most.
Back to top Go down
Norwegian
Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 78853
Forum Reputation : 304

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2020 6:02 pm

1Mare1 wrote:
ColumbineBully wrote:

Trench Coat Mafia disbanded before 4/20. There are documents in the 11k and witness interviews proving how Eric and Dylan were bullied.

There are also accounts which suggests that they were not.

WhereHaveYouBeen likes this post

Back to top Go down
R3BD0M1N3

R3BD0M1N3

Contribution Points : 35155

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2020 7:53 pm

I just looked through my school's handbook and it appears that we are allowed to wear trench coats at my school. Catch me getting a burberry trench tho.. cause its fashun.. Razz

Into True Crime, Record Collecting, and Learning Deutsch and German History
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?    What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What happened to the Trench Coat Mafia?
Page 1 of 1