Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What got you interested in Columbine?

Go down 
+21
Luci
NeedaHaircut
milennialrebelette
Smiggles94
Fatheroftwo
silentprocess
runreilly
Juicy Jazzy
Draw_It_White
W.A.R.
STK
21stcenturyreality
abstractsmigs
Moonshadow
pansan78
TheSpiral
Lizpuff
Lunkhead McGrath
dahlia_rose
ZCD99
KurtCobain
25 posters
AuthorMessage
KurtCobain

KurtCobain

Contribution Points : 61554
Forum Reputation : 0

What got you interested in Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 4:55 am

For me, it was just watching it on youtube and my dad telling me not to when I was younger. So me being rebellious, I started to watch more and more videos about them. Now I'm genuinely interested in it without trying to be 'rebellious'. What about you guys?
Back to top Go down
ZCD99

ZCD99

Contribution Points : 61784

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 5:44 am

The first time I ever really looked into it what around my senior year of high school. We had started getting bomb threats at our school (nothing ever happened it just turned out to be some edgy kids who was wanted days off of school). Prior to that I had known about it but had never really seen much on it. More recently it was that looser Randy.

dahlia_rose

Contribution Points : 69179

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 8:16 pm

I discovered Columbine back in '04 when I was 12. It was shortly after our internet was installed. I was using the AOL browser and I remember typing 'serial killers' into Google.

One of the first results was a website called The Crime Library (now defunct). On the main page, it had several categories ranging from serial killers to organized crime to a 'truly weird and shocking' section and that's where I read about it. In the early 2000's, two teens forming a suicide pact to take down their high school was still shock fodder. I remember being incredibly disturbed by the suicide photos when I foolishly searched Google images. I literally turned off the computer and cried because I thought Dylan had died in tears (it was just blood around his eyes in grainy resolution). Regardless it gave my 12 year old self the impression that they were "pushed" to do it and the bullying must have really been THAT bad. I look back on it now with a laugh because I was an internet virgin and hadn't seen any real gore up 'til then. After that I never forgot about Columbine. That was pretty much my first impression of it.
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 75411
Forum Reputation : 225

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 6:58 am

I finally sort of phased out of my decade-long "Zodiac" phase--kicked off by the David Fincher movie in 2007--and was looking for a new crime to dissect and plugged Columbine into Google Images and found some of the creepier artifacts--the suicide photo, the 1999 class photo with the gunsight gestures, a photo of the Columbine environs showing where their cars had been parked, "Hitmen For Hire," and the Cafeteria tape, wondering at what point in the 3 1/2 hour tape the infamous image of the two of them in the cafeteria showed up. That got me interested in reading further articles and books, which I did, and then I found this place.

Due to the "bullying" issue and anti-bullying policies going into effect because of Columbine it effects young people today and they are far more likely to find out about Columbine than they are about other 90s tragedies/crimes/scandals. I ask kids born after 1990 what all they've heard of from the decade and they have not heard of Ruby Ridge, Waco, Slobodan Milosevic, the Unabomber, Tonya Harding, Monica Lewinsky (no, really) or even the OKLAHOMA CITY BOMBING in some cases (you may remember if you lived through 1995 that it finally took OKC to knock O. J. Simpson off the news!) But yeah, quite a few of them know what Columbine is.
I don't say this to fault "millennials" or today's young people at all--I didn't know what the Falkland Islands War was until three years ago. Hey, we didn't cover the 80s in high school history class.

I can name all the vicitms of Columbine in the order they were shot, but can't name ANY victims from Newtown, Virginia Tech, Aurora, Pulse, etc.--except for that one teacher in Newtown.

milennialrebelette likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 95449
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 8:48 am

I had looked into Columbine years ago as part of true crime research and then I saw Sue on her 2020 appearance and was drawn back in. I started to read thru the 11k and finally made it thru and started to learn what I could about it. I keep leaving and then coming back to it. I have no idea why

milennialrebelette likes this post

Back to top Go down
TheSpiral

TheSpiral

Contribution Points : 74139
Forum Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 6:05 am

Back in 2011. I just discovered KMFDM and had already been a Rammstein fan.
Looking through youtube comment under their songs, I've seen a lot of references to Eric and Dylan, so I started reserching.
So I guess I discovered Columbine through music.

Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down
dahlia_rose

dahlia_rose

Contribution Points : 69179

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2017 12:10 am

Lunkhead McGrath wrote:
Due to the "bullying" issue and anti-bullying policies going into effect because of Columbine it effects young people today and they are far more likely to find out about Columbine than they are about other 90s tragedies/crimes/scandals.  I ask kids born after 1990 what all they've heard of from the decade and they have not heard of Ruby Ridge, Waco, Slobodan Milosevic, the Unabomber, Tonya Harding, Monica Lewinsky (no, really) or even the OKLAHOMA CITY BOMBING in some cases (you may remember if you lived through 1995 that it finally took OKC to knock O. J. Simpson off the news!) But yeah, quite a few of them know what Columbine is.  
I don't say this to fault "millennials" or today's young people at all--I didn't know what the Falkland Islands War was until three years ago.  Hey, we didn't cover the 80s in high school history class.

I can name all the vicitms of Columbine in the order they were shot, but can't name ANY victims from Newtown, Virginia Tech, Aurora, Pulse, etc.--except for that one teacher in Newtown.  

Unfortunately I was a bit too young for Oklahoma - I was only 3 at the time. As far as the 90's are concerned, the only tragedy I definitively saw on the news the day it happened was the death of Princess Diana. At that age I didn't think princesses could die... That a was a bummer. I found out Biggie was dead after I heard "I'll Be Missing You" on the radio, hehe. I didn't even learn about the death of Tupac, Jon Benet or the OJ trial until the late 90s. I remember the Monica Lewinsky scandal, however - I asked my dad "why the President is in trouble" and he smiled and told me it was because "they found a lady hiding under his desk". My mom jabbed him in the arm for that one.

Honestly the only reason I think so many kids today age 18 and under know about Columbine is solely because of "Pumped Up Kicks" and the endless memes it spawned. Ha!
Back to top Go down
pansan78

pansan78

Contribution Points : 62359

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2017 12:48 am

I was suffering from bullying all my life, but I never thought about columbine I knew it was, once a teacher told me about school shootings and I am here

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 18, 2017 8:11 am

As a speech and language therapist, I was doing research for a new way of therapy for people who can't talk about traumatic events (like aphasia patients surviving a fire). And then my partner mentioned that there are also people who just don't want to talk about it and tell you whatever you want to hear. Ofcourse I knew that there are people who don't want to talk or don't want to be helped, but this idea triggered something in me and I started doing research on that, and it wasn't long untill I found information about dylan and eric. I got somewhat obsessed and I can't put my finger on it why that is exactly, but I have the feeling there is something I'm not seeying. So I keep coming back and look into it.
Back to top Go down
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Contribution Points : 71156

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 18, 2017 2:20 pm

I have always had a great interest in violent crime and seem to be unable to grow up. Do I need to say more?

Smiggles94 likes this post

Back to top Go down
abstractsmigs

abstractsmigs

Contribution Points : 71248

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 18, 2017 4:53 pm

As weird as it is, I can't actually remember. I know I printed out the journals when I was in high school and added my own annotations to them at some point lol. I know much more now. I don't even remember what led me to the journals, high school was a blur.
Back to top Go down
21stcenturyreality

Contribution Points : 66973

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 7:34 am

Well I was always a long time lurker on Doomworld and a big fan of industrial, so one thing led to another.
Back to top Go down
STK

STK

Contribution Points : 72209
Forum Reputation : 328

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 8:39 pm

I can't remember how I first got attracted, but I distinctly remember how much I enjoyed reading the timeline of the shooting.The level of detail made it seem like a book or movie. I read every school shooting book in my middle school and high school.

"If opportunities for role fulfilment fall far short of the demand by those capable of filling roles, and having expectations to do so, only violence and disruption of social organization can follow. Individuals born under these circumstances will be so out of touch with reality as to be incapable even of alienation. Their most complex behaviors will become fragmented. Acquisition, creation and utilization of ideas appropriate for life in a post-industrial cultural-conceptual-technological society will have been blocked."
- John B. Calhoun

"If I died thirsty, it wouldn't matter for me if it rains ever again"
- Abu Firas al-Hamdani
Back to top Go down
W.A.R.

Contribution Points : 69598
Forum Reputation : 345

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 20, 2017 5:11 pm

The cafeteria still was always intriguing to me.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ZCD99

ZCD99

Contribution Points : 61784

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 5:35 am

W.A.R. wrote:

An absolutely terrifying picture.

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 6:30 pm

I saw the zero hour doc in the rec video section, so out of boredom I watched it and was quite interested and wanted to know more afterword's so I started researching further. And that's how it all started for me sunny
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 97193
Forum Reputation : 104

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 7:02 pm

ZCD99 wrote:
W.A.R. wrote:

An absolutely terrifying picture.

I think what gets me with that pic is knowing their brains were splattered all over the library barely 10 minutes later.
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 97819
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 11:23 pm

I remember hearing about the Red Lake shooting in 2005 and the articles I read about it kept referencing Columbine, which I then took interest in. Honestly though, I dont know exactly what sparked my interest in Columbine. But it was around that time.
Back to top Go down
runreilly

runreilly

Contribution Points : 65779

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Being a fan or true crime and then restrumbling upon this.

I was at the end of eigth grade when the shootings happened. I stumbled upon the video of Dylan driving to school with Nate about a year ago and was shocked by how young and silly he appeared. Completely different from the mental image I had made when I was 14 (the image of a killer/soldier). I started scratching my head and discovered there are no easy answers.

Back to top Go down
silentprocess

silentprocess

Contribution Points : 61359

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 10:49 am

First post here Smile. I watched the coverage on tv. Ever since it's stuck with me. I think the biggest reason for me is knowing there is information out there that will most likely never see the light of day, making this particular shooting have a mythos about it. Not releasing all available evidence and information has made Columbine the root of most if not all school shootings that take place thereafter.

Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

Contribution Points : 82538

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 3:25 pm

Moved to SW Denver area not far from Littleton and was researching famous events in the area..

I was reminded of the Jon Benet Ramsey case which I knew very well (Boulder is :45 away), but for whatever reason in my life at the time I hadn't followed "Columbine" that much. I remember my ex wife calling me as news was breaking (we had friends in Littleton we had visited the summer prior), but aside from my son meeting Craig Scott at his school in Ohio I had very little thought on it up to the point I was living in CO.

I was hooked the day I "dug into" the research.

Back to top Go down
Smiggles94

Smiggles94

Contribution Points : 69949
Forum Reputation : 28

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2020 6:42 pm

When Virginia tech happened I instantly became obsessed with it all I was only young at the time but that led me too Columbine

Back to top Go down
milennialrebelette

milennialrebelette

Contribution Points : 58665
Forum Reputation : 725

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 2:00 am

Obviously I lived through Columbine in 3rd grade with my older siblings being there and being very connected with the school and the victims. My sister, a 2000 grad and junior during the shooting, kind of dropped off the planet with her drinking until she was at least 25. But then as she got sober, I happened to also be at high school at Columbine (2010 grad) and because I was struggling I'd gone and lived with my dad in 2000 (I had lived in a poor Native area with my Native family between those times, I'm biracial) and was behind in credits and almost had to leave CHS and go to the alternative school. Well so me and my sister started talking more about Columbine and our experiences. After my mom died and she was married expecting her first child a year or so later she opened up even more. This started me researching more. She actually brought her first born daughter to see her dad and step mom and me and the rest of the family and had me go to the Memorial and Rachel's grave with her for the first time since she left Colorado completely after she graduated from CU Boulder and went to California. Since then she's been super open for her position IMO, wanting people to know the real Rachel who had been her BFF since Dutch Creek ES and I'm happy to talk about that too. Rachel was my favorite babysitter and I remember my mom hanging out with the neighborhood moms with kids my brother and sisters age including Kathy Harris and Judy Brown, both families lived in my mom's neighborhood.

I like to help spread another perspectives, and other facts, from myself, my sister and others we know personally. Columbine is unique but after almost not graduating HS myself Mr. D and my counselor Mr. S and a couple other teachers really helped support me to graduate on time despite being way behind when I transferred back and helping me get college scholarships, the first on my dads side of the family.

But yeah me and my sisters relationship is the main thing. Definitely personal for me.
Back to top Go down
NeedaHaircut

Contribution Points : 47480
Forum Reputation : 40

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 6:06 pm

I'm probably an older demographic here, so I remember it pretty well as it happened as it was the beginning of the 24/7 news era. My parents subscribed to magazines so I remember the ones that were printed soon after with the diagrams and timelines- I guess I found it interesting how it was all pieced together.

Took some interest again when that RPG game came out but it only frustrated me and I deleted it after assuming I was probably on a watch list for downloading it.

Couple years ago I stumbled across the Columbine Reddits. Didn't think it would actually be related to the shooting, but sure enough. And then I wound up here somehow. I guess my interest stems from my previous misconceptions as well as the sheer amount of information made available (and the bits that aren't). I mean, I'm pretty sure I saw a receipt for Eric's Honda wiper blades of all things in the 11k.
Back to top Go down
Luci

Luci

Contribution Points : 39303
Forum Reputation : 68

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2020 8:10 pm

I don't know how exactly I got into Columbine, but it most likely was when I began watching scenes from documentaries and movies- and I just began getting interested in reading about it ever since.

“There isn’t an open sky or endless field to be found where I reside, not is there light or salvation to be discovered. Right about now I feel as low as I ever have. So fucking naive man, so fucking naive. Always expecting change when I know nothing ever changes… I sacrifice no more for others, part of me has fucking died and I hate this shit. I’m living every mans nightmare and that single fact alone is kicking my ass.”
-Jeff Weise
Back to top Go down
theartofwar

theartofwar

Contribution Points : 34107

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2020 10:43 pm

i can't pinpoint a main 'cause' for being interested, although i remember the first time i heard about it was in a top 10 video of some sort that showed the cafeteria footage. at the time, i thought it was extremely eerie, and now i'm here.

daisylee671

Contribution Points : 32655

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2020 2:16 am

deleted albino

Last edited by daisylee671 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2020 7:25 am

Last edited by pluviam on Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2020 9:12 am

Well, I remember that about 4 or 5 years ago I was watching a video of a Spanish-speaking youtuber called "Tri-line" he had made a top 10 "pictures before a tragedy " something like that, I don't remember. In one part there was the photo that was taken in the yearbook where all the students were and in the background Dylan and Eric and I said "Wow!" In Latin America I had never heard of a massacre or something like that ... so I wanted to find out more about it. So I was always a person with a lot of problems when interpreting / remembering things, I couldn't remember the names of Eric and Dylan and whenever I wanted to search for them I had to go back to that specific part of the video Very Happy I found the documentary "in the minds of the assassins "and it was the first one I saw, and that completely introduced me to the subject, a school massacre seemed so particular to me ... I had never heard of it, and I felt identified with the subject of bullying, etc ... because at that time he was having a difficult time. I became interested each time more and I went from watching documentaries to investigating online and here I am ...!
Back to top Go down
AZ20

Contribution Points : 34330

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 12:06 am

I've always been interested in true crimes and have gone through periods of researching different serial killers, not so much mass killings. I was recently reading some random article where Marilyn Manson was talking about how Columbine killed his career and that started the ball rolling on the Columbine Massacre. Some my interest stems from things that have happened in my personal life having to do with billing, abuse and suicide. Makes me want to understand the psychology behind those who become convinced violence is the answer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 2:45 am

Researching the Virginia Tech Massacre as it's roots stemmed from you guessed it, Columbine.
Back to top Go down
AestheticDeath

Contribution Points : 66657

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2020 6:42 am

Was in school at the time and someone actually turned on the news as we were in kind of a BS class and he usually flipped around on the TV that was on one of those carts they had, it was basically always in that room.
So I knew about it and of course it was in the news so when I happened to read about it I saw the kinds of things they were interested in like music and media - fucking around on AOL.. Nine Inch Nails, even Rammstein; fringe stuff maybe but these weren't such extreme outcast type things like was being said about these guys, so lets see what the actual story is here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What got you interested in Columbine?   What got you interested in Columbine? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What got you interested in Columbine?
Page 1 of 1