Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

'One of my favorite mass shooters'

Go down 
+6
majipan
Myll
STK
nbkdoom
QuestionMark
sscc
10 posters
AuthorMessage
sscc

Contribution Points : 58001
Forum Reputation : 321

'One of my favorite mass shooters' Empty
PostSubject: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Adam once said that Robert Hawkins was one of his "favorite" mass shooters.

Any opinions on why Adam favored him?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Im not sure, maybe because the weapons he used and the fact that it was at a mall, he also compared travis to a "teenage mall shooter" in the radio call in.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 90063
Forum Reputation : 2923

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 1:21 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Adam once said that Robert Hawkins was one of his "favorite" mass shooters.

Any opinions on why Adam favored him?

Honestly? I think it was just part of Adam's decaying mental state. Nothing about Robert stands out to me, and the reason, if any, Adam chose him as his favorite eludes me as well. My best guess is that Robert was what got Adam interested in mass murder, that this was the first one Adam saw and thought "that was cool!". But I doubt that explanation is a suitable one; why not take after Seung Hui Cho, for example? It's just another mystery of Adam's mind that we will probably never know for sure.

shootemup likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
nbkdoom

nbkdoom

Contribution Points : 38017
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 am

I think he probably just thought he was cool. There's nothing particularly special about him - not to me anyway.

sscc

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 2:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Unless Adam lied, he was looking into mass murder at least a year before Robert's attack so I think he had real reasons to pick him as one of his favorite shooters.

I have a few ideas about why he would name him.

First, I agree with TheyAllFloatDownHere on all of the things that he mentioned. I don't know how he felt about the rifle in particular (though he did mention waiting for a shooter that went for an AK pistol with hollow point bullets and Robert used an AK rifle with 7.62x39 ammunition, which is fairly heavy weaponry) but Robert taped his magazines together to facilitate quicker reload, just as Adam later did with two of his magazines. I think he liked the idea that although Robert's shooting seemed to be much more spur of the moment than others, that he had still thought far enough ahead to take actions that would increase his number of victims.

Second, I agree that the choice of a mall instead of a school probably appealed to him. He seemed to be extremely defensive of Robert's story and went on a rant to try to prove that "Pumped Up Kicks" (a song that he disliked immensely) was not about Robert, and that if it was intended to be about him, then Robert was not a good prototype for the typical school shooter. He mentioned that Robert had more in common with adult shooters than the prototypical school shooter. I think there's a possibility that he thought of the "bullied school shooter" story as being almost as "lame" and worn out as the typical serial killer story (and I suspect that this is one reason that he rarely spoke directly about Eric and Dylan on the forum). I think he liked that fact that Robert was simply suicidal and angry and never claimed to be bullied or looking to justify his killing. I think he liked that Robert was extremely honest and admitted that he just wanted to die and was looking to take out others when he killed himself because it would make him famous. I think that on some level, Adam deeply related to that, whether or not he would admit it.

Third, I agree that Adam saw a connection between Travis' and Robert's stories. I think that Adam felt that Robert was a perfect example of society's failures. Robert was on psychiatric drugs and being monitored very closely as a result of his behavioral issues and a past suicide attempt. None of it really seemed to help and I think Adam would have felt justified in his own refusal of psychiatric treatment, seeing it as proof that psychiatric medications and court ordered treatment did nothing but make a person feel "trapped." It's possible that Adam felt that this was society's attempt to control a teenage boy who would not be controlled, just as they tried to domesticate Travis the chimp and failed because in his mind, our society is completely destructive to anyone suffering who refuses to conform or submit to the prescribed methods of help which were, in Adam's mind, just as destructive as anything else offered by this society.

(And this is pure speculation, but considering Adam's ambiguous sexual orientation, there's always a chance that he was attracted to Robert. I love you )

Last edited by sscc on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:38 am; edited 2 times in total

Carnifex879, Mr Bubbless, qfwfq and f0rgotten like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
STK

STK

Contribution Points : 49044
Forum Reputation : 228

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 4:20 pm

He seemed to be extremely defensive of Robert's story and went on a rant to try to prove that "Pumped Up Kicks" (a song that he disliked immensely) was not about Robert, and that if it was intended to be about him, then Robert was not a good prototype for the typical school shooter.
Pumped up Kicks may not accurately reflect Hawkins life through it's lyrics, but the song itself gives off the same unquantifiable sense of teenage anger/angst that Hawkins's case absolutely exudes.

(And this is pure speculation, but considering Adam's ambiguous sexual orientation, there's always a chance that he was attracted to Robert. I love you )
Who wouldn't be? Robbie was so dark and brooding.

"If opportunities for role fulfilment fall far short of the demand by those capable of filling roles, and having expectations to do so, only violence and disruption of social organization can follow. Individuals born under these circumstances will be so out of touch with reality as to be incapable even of alienation. Their most complex behaviors will become fragmented. Acquisition, creation and utilization of ideas appropriate for life in a post-industrial cultural-conceptual-technological society will have been blocked."
- John B. Calhoun

Last edited by STK on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 pm

He seemed to be extremely defensive of Robert's story and went on a rant to try to prove that "Pumped Up Kicks" (a song that he disliked immensely) was not about Robert, and that if it was intended to be about him, then Robert was not a good prototype for the typical school shooter.
Pumped up Kicks may not accurately reflect Hawkins life through it's lyrics, but the song itself gives off the same unquantifiable sense of teenage anger/angst that Hawkins's case absolutely exudes.

I think it's pretty obvious Pumped Up Kicks was not supposed to be about Robert Hawkins. I think it was supposed to be based on either (or both) Barry Loukatis and Charles "Andy" Williams. The name Robert was likely chosen at random.

I do find it odd that Adam couldn't simply see that simple observation I just made, but then again his mental state was incredibly scattered.

View user profile
Myll

Contribution Points : 36897
Forum Reputation : 70

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeTue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 am

I find this puzzling and I don't really have any theories for it.
I would say that it could be the first case since he deeply got in to mass murder he saw live, but Virginia tech happened around half a year earlier.

I don't really see anything special about Robert Hawkins that makes him stand out that much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeTue Oct 24, 2017 2:19 am

I've always thought about this and I conclude that it was because Adam admired how Robbie blended into society unlike almost every single mass shooter. Unlike many mass shooters, Robbie HAD friends and could communicate properly to them (apart from his phase of homelessness) and I think that Adam was just surprised and aroused (probs not the right word) that such a socially normal boy around his age could commit a mass shooting.
Back to top Go down
sscc

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2017 3:48 am

I think it's pretty obvious Pumped Up Kicks was not supposed to be about Robert Hawkins. I think it was supposed to be based on either (or both) Barry Loukatis and Charles "Andy" Williams. The name Robert was likely chosen at random.

I do find it odd that Adam couldn't simply see that simple observation I just made, but then again his mental state was incredibly scattered.
I think it was obvious to him that it was not about Hawkins but he didn't think it was obvious to everyone and that's exactly why he was fixated on it. He wrote that he first came across the song by searching for information about Hawkins on Google and someone in the Youtube comments had said that the song was about Robert. I think that he probably came to associate the song with that comment and since he hated the song and also considered Robert Hawkins to be a favorite mass shooter, he was fixated on correcting the misconception even if it was unnecessary (though I think you probably know from researching mass shootings yourself that incorrect information and dubious opinions are often routinely repeated until they become "fact," so I can understand why he might have thought that it was necessary after seeing the comment). Also, Adam's thinking and behavior, especially in relation to the subject of mass murder, were obsessive and compulsive so it doesn't surprise me that he felt the need to address the subject of this song repeatedly.

He did suggest that Michael Carneal and Evan Ramsey were a better fit for the content of the song but he also feared that Robert would be turned into a "trendy stereotypical poster child of school shootings" even though Robert didn't fit what he described as the "school shooter archetype." As I said before, I think Adam saw outcast school shooters as some of the less appealing mass shooters and he didn't want Robert to be put into that category so he couldn't stop himself from over-analyzing in a frantic effort to prove that the song wasn't about Robert.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sscc

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2017 3:59 am

I don't really see anything special about Robert Hawkins that makes him stand out that much.
Honestly, I think that this could be part of the attraction. Adam said that he was irritated by crimes that got a lot of media coverage and he avoided reading about them until media coverage died down. Hawkins' shooting was never much of a national story. He was just a troubled teenager who'd had enough. In the wake of Virginia Tech, it barely registered as a mass shooting

Mr Bubbless likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2017 1:33 am

scibblewop wrote:
I've always thought about this and I conclude that it was because Adam admired how Robbie blended into society unlike almost every single mass shooter.

Hawkins had been in and out of various mental institutions for most of his life. I wouldn't call that blending into society very well.

Now that I think of it, maybe it was because of how mentally unstable Hawkins was that made Adam sympathize with him, since Adam himself was batshit insane.

(and I suspect that this is one reason that he rarely spoke directly about Eric and Dylan on the forum)

Adam talked about E&D a fair bit. It may not have been his main focus, but I think it inspired him, if only a little.

View user profile
sscc

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2017 2:37 am

(and I suspect that this is one reason that he rarely spoke directly about Eric and Dylan on the forum)

Adam talked about E&D a fair bit. It may not have been his main focus, but I think it inspired him, if only a little.
I actually wrote about this in another thread. (I went into other stuff but some of what I would say to you here is already written there.)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I completely agree that Adam was genuinely interested in Columbine but I also think that he was careful to try to make others believe that he had no particular interest in Columbine and that he was only interested in mass shootings in general.

There were a few more jokes about Columbine but out of nearly 300 posts, these are the only serious posts related to Columbine that survived deletion (there are number of deleted posts in threads which were obviously about Eric and Dylan and we can't know the tone or content of those posts):
Smiggles (In response to a post about whether people would be saying nice things about Eric and Dylan if someone like Rachel Scott had shot up the school and killed them instead) wrote:
They would. Dead people in general receive more respect and blind compassion than they ever would have had while alive. I don't understand it.

Smiggles (In a thread about what would happen if Eric and Dylan had survived and faced a trial) wrote:
One of the major reasons why Columbine is still a (relatively) popular topic in recent years is because of the potential it allows for speculation. This would not exist if they had lived because their actual thoughts and experiences, the contents of the basement tapes/Nixon tape, and everything like that would probably be well-known.

Smiggles (In a thread with a conversation about Columbine related videos being removed from Youtube) wrote:
I don't mean it in a literal sense, and I can't elaborate because there has never been a relevant policy announcement or anything like that. Vaguely going by what I can remember, Pekka Auvinen's final video brought attention to the fan videos which were prevalent on YouTube at the time. This caused any video which might be arbitrarily construed as supporting the Columbine shooters to be removed. I don't remember there being any issues with Columbine videos prior to that, with videos like Rampart Range having many views and staying uploaded for more than a year

Smiggles (In a thread asking for a source for a crime scene photo of Eric's trench coat) wrote:
The other location may have been this.

Smiggles (In a thread about dreams) wrote:
Today I dreamt a Columbine reference for the first time. I've probably never had one before because I've scarcely ever cared about Columbine...
[followed by a long explanation of his dream which is barely related to Columbine]

And aside from his final post which explains Columbine in relation to school shootings in general, these are literally his only references to Columbine on the forum which aren't jokes.

As you can see, only one or two of these posts is even commenting directly on Columbine, though the Youtube post suggests that he looked at Columbine videos online and the photo comment suggests that he paid enough attention to Columbine threads to be able to link someone to the exact thread where the photo was located. Again, I think it's obvious that he knew a lot about Columbine (and it's undeniable that he had the investigative documents and videos clips related to Columbine on his hard drive) but for whatever reason, he just didn't seem to want to focus on talking about Columbine in public.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 11:39 am

(Deleted)

Last edited by 9mmtomyhead on Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
majipan

Contribution Points : 6015
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 4:09 pm

Admittedly I haven't researched Hawkins in much depth, but I thought it was because Hawkins lacked the 'theatrics' of school shooters like Eric and Dylan. Adam despised the sort of fandom that formed around shooters like them and the way they attempted to project a particular image. I think his own shooting attests to that, in that he didn't try to leave behind any tapes/manifesto or write journal entries to be found later. He just wanted it to be pure violence.

Mr Bubbless, qfwfq and f0rgotten like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 71292
Forum Reputation : 155

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 4:17 pm

Admittedly I haven't researched Hawkins in much depth, but I thought it was because Hawkins lacked the 'theatrics' of school shooters like Eric and Dylan. Adam despised the sort of fandom that formed around shooters like them and the way they attempted to project a particular image. I think his own shooting attests to that, in that he didn't try to leave behind any tapes/manifesto or write journal entries to be found later. He just wanted it to be pure violence.
For pure violence, he sure left a lot of written nonsense online.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 5:56 pm

I think it’s because of how neatly his story fit into the whole theory that society begets mass murderers not because some aspects of it are wrong and should be changed, but simply because it is. There was no “lackluster philosophy” or any attempts of self-justification behind what Robert did.  “Sorry, I’ve just snapped. P.S. I didn’t eat that fucking sandwich or the toilet thing either!”
Back to top Go down
majipan

Contribution Points : 6015
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 8:39 am

He tried to delete it all though. I don't think Adam wanted to leave much if anything behind, he just didn't do the best job of covering his tracks.

morgenroede wrote:
I think it’s because of how neatly his story fit into the whole theory that society begets mass murderers not because some aspects of it are wrong and should be changed, but simply because it is. There was no “lackluster philosophy” or any attempts of self-justification behind what Robert did.  “Sorry, I’ve just snapped. P.S. I didn’t eat that fucking sandwich or the toilet thing either!”

Yeah I think Lanza admired the way Hawkins just "snapped" rather than him going on tirades like many other mass shooters do shortly before their shootings. Which makes it kinda weird that Adam liked Breivik so much, but I think a lot of that was because he killed so many people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 71292
Forum Reputation : 155

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 9:16 am

He tried to delete it all though. I don't think Adam wanted to leave much if anything behind, he just didn't do the best job of covering his tracks.

morgenroede wrote:

Yeah I think Lanza admired the way Hawkins just "snapped" rather than him going on tirades like many other mass shooters do shortly before their shootings. Which makes it kinda weird that Adam liked Breivik so much, but I think a lot of that was because he killed so many people.

Yeah I'm not so sure that Lanza liked the quiet guys who just snap and don't make a big show about it. He liked Breivik.
Heck, he liked my two shooters and these guys just go on and on and on, never shutting up and never afraid of srtiking a pose (literally).

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 10:00 am

@majipan wrote:

Yeah, it was because of how successful Breivik was as a mass murderer. It was “an impressive instance of mass murder self-actualization”, in Lanza’s words.

As for Breivik’s political beliefs, Adam called him a reactionary - which, while not a straight-up derogatory term (English is a foreign language for me, so correct me if I’m wrong), usually implies a negative tone.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2021 9:29 pm

I think all of us missed the mark and overlooked the obvious. In the "me" document (here) Lanza writes this:

Quote :
I have an affinity for people whom I perceive as being abused, and consummate scorn for the abusers.

Robert Hawkins might be the mass shooter who lived one of the shittiest lives possible. Add that to the fact that Lanza liked AK style weapons and we have two pretty superficial reasons for why he'd like Robert.

qfwfq and f0rgotten like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 6:08 pm

And Robert was not a fanboy of the Two Ubiquitous Morons, unlike Jeff Weise who also had an extremely shitty life.

(Was Weise really a Columbine fanboy, though? He liked Zero Day and Elephant, but apart from that I can’t recall anything that wasn’t a media invention.)
Back to top Go down
Mr Bubbless
Top Contributor
Mr Bubbless

Contribution Points : 12781
Forum Reputation : 377

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2021 3:32 am

[REDACTED]

Last edited by Mr Bubbless on Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2021 11:38 am

@Mr Bubbless wrote:
He probably wasn't, but for some ridiculous reason every school shooting since columbine has been blamed on it, even if the shooter wasn't directly inspired by them.

I’d expect of someone like Jeff to be indifferent towards Eric and Dylan or even dislike them for having been spoiled/entitled, not relate to them on any level. However, considering that one of the popular narratives was - still is - that they had it worse than everyone else at Columbine and snapped because of bullying (to anyone who has already raised a pitchfork: no, I’m not saying they were not bullied at all), I wouldn’t be too surprised if Jeff sympathized with them or was inspired by them.

Anyway I will definitely look into it when I have time.

(this is totally not off topic lol)
Back to top Go down
lognifiiskurk
Top Contributor
lognifiiskurk

Contribution Points : 33858
Forum Reputation : 150

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2021 6:59 pm

I think Jeff somewhat related to them as he was bullied at school but I agree that there is no clear evidence to say that Jeff was a copycat killer.

dyonqqr
Top Contributor
dyonqqr

Contribution Points : 16386
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: 'One of my favorite mass shooters'   'One of my favorite mass shooters' Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2021 5:18 pm

Robert didn't provide any political (Breivik,) philosophical (Auvinen) or psychological (Kinkel) reason for his attack. In a sense, it was the epitome of the kind of shooting Adam was most interested in: kill then die, the wrongness of a spiralling society blowing up in it's face. As previously mentioned, it was the most comparable human attack to that of Travis, and in a sense proved his theory connecting mass shootings and anarchoprimitivism.

The timing also no doubt played a role as well. He was actively paying attention as the news reports rolled out, and even if it didn't have the same significance as Cho with getting him into mass murder, it was one of the earlier attacks that he got to study as it happened.

In the end, maybe he doesn't need paragraphs of explanation. I can't quite explain why I like some of the shooters I do, and if I can, my reasoning is often too stupid and / or idiosyncratic for others to guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

'One of my favorite mass shooters'
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Other Crimes :: Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting-
Jump to: