Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Zach Heckler and the January Incident

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 66303
Forum Reputation : 90

Zach Heckler and the January Incident Empty
PostSubject: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 10:48 am

(I originally posted this on the Small Questions thread, but was hoping we could start a more in-depth discussion here)

On the day the Jan '98 incident occurred, E&D were with Zach Heckler, but parted ways with him before they broke into the van. What could have transpired differently if Zach had been with them?

Would they not have done it?
If all three of them committed the crime, would E&D not have had such a close bond considering someone else was involved?

What are some alternate scenarios for that day, and how could they ultimately have affected NBK? (Dylan's "wrath for January's incident").
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 11:09 am

Well Zack had participated in the Rebel Missions, so we can't rule out him not helping with the break-in if he had been along for the ride. Even if he was just there as a look out, and not a willing participant.

Now think about that for a second. What if Zack, Chris Morris, etc. had been there and noticed Walsh BEFORE he got suspicious and walked up on them. They may have been able to hide the evidence and make up a believable lie as to why they were in the park after hours.

Hell who knows, they may not have even gotten caught at all. Without the Diversion program making them toe the line who knows what else they may have gotten into.

I do think the van incident did help solidify their bond. You know the "You are in the same boat as me" mentality.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 11:17 am

I don't think they would have been able to hide the break-in, however I think Eric or Dylan would have been able to blame it more on a "following the herd" situation if three or four people were involved.

You bring up an interesting point - if the van incident never happened at all, they wouldn't have been held under as much scrutiny by their parents. The diversion program prompted them to be even more careful with their planning of NBK. If they had been a little sloppier, who knows what they may have been caught with. The whole operation may have been compromised...

EDIT: to add to this, Zach had no problem listing all the things wrong with E&D when he was interviewed by police after the shooting. He seems like someone who would have spilled the beans and even tried to blame it all on the other two if they got caught together.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 11:35 am

Littlelo wrote:
Zach had no problem listing all the things wrong with E&D when he was interviewed by police after the shooting. He seems like someone who would have spilled the beans and even tried to blame it all on the other two if they got caught together.

He likely would have. Even Eric said that it was Dylan's idea, while Dylan maintained that it was BOTH their idea. Most people seem to go into "save my own ass" mode when shit hits the fan.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193506
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Both Zach and Devon had no problem with that after the shooting, but then Devon made a scrapbook for Sue so I think they were probably all over the place.

I think if Chris Morris was there too he would have been a good lookout along with Zack, Chris had his own issues, I read he pulled a knife on someone before 4/20. That would be something, Eric and Dylan's parents saying not to hang out with Chris because of that.. but the boys were planning something far worse. Zach wasn't perfect, he did write a threatening note and put it in Devons ex boyfriends locker and it sounds like he tried to get out of a moving car that night when he fought with her, that is a LOT of drama.

I agree with Eric throwing Dylan under the bus to save his own ass, if Eric ended up alive at the end of NBK you know he would be like "I didn't want to, Dylan made me he is CRAZY!!!"

That is a good point, the diversion program made them more careful with their planning.

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 1:27 pm

TBH if things had gone differently and they had recruited a third person to go through with it, my money would be on Chris Morris without a doubt. Something about him...I think he already knew more than he would admit.

To me, Zach does not seem like someone that they could have persuaded to join them. He was already distancing himself after they got in trouble for hacking into the school's computer system together.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 1:54 pm

Was Chris was the one who was kicked out of his house after 4/20?

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Was Chris was the one who was kicked out of his house after 4/20?

Yes, I believe so.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 1:58 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Yes, he was.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Thanks both of you!! Smile

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 2:32 pm

I wonder if either of their older brothers reprimanded them or asked them what the hell they were thinking after the van incident. I don't think Kevin or Byron was living at home at that point (maybe Byron?) but I always wondered what they thought about it.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 3:03 pm

I bet Kevin more so than Byron only because I think Byron had his own issues that we know of. It probably would've landed more on Eric if Kevin  was disappointed in him than Byron being mad at Dylan.

Last edited by Screamingophelia on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 3:20 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
I bet Kevin more so than Byron only because I think Byron had his own issues that we know of. It probably would've landed more on Eric if Kevin  was disappointed at him than Byron being mad at Dylan.

I agree with that. Eric and Kevin seemed to have a better relationship compared to Dylan and Byron.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Zach had two very interesting conversations with E&D separately around the same time in 1999.

Eric had purchased a box of bleach at King Soopers. He talked to Zach about napalm and asked if he knew how to make it. During another incident, Dylan told him he and Eric had both purchased shotguns. Zach reportedly told no one about either of these conversations until after the shooting.

I didn't realize they had been open with Zach enough to trust him with info like that. Makes you wonder if they all could have potentially participated in the van incident together had the opportunity presented itself.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Littlelo wrote:
Zach had two very interesting conversations with E&D separately around the same time in 1999.

Eric had purchased a box of bleach at King Soopers. He talked to Zach about napalm and asked if he knew how to make it. During another incident, Dylan told him he and Eric had both purchased shotguns. Zach reportedly told no one about either of these conversations until after the shooting.

I didn't realize they had been open with Zach enough to trust him with info like that. Makes you wonder if they all could have potentially participated in the van incident together had the opportunity presented itself.

I did not know that! I didn't realize he was that close to Eric either anymore after all the missions.

A lot of people probably didn't believe they'd want to hurt anyone, probably just wanted guns for target practice and Eric liked explosives...
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 4:39 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The strangest part is, Zach claims Dylan only admitted to having the weapons after he confronted him about it. Makes you wonder why he was suspicious and concerned enough to confront him in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2017 4:49 pm

Very true Littlelo, I wonder if maybe Robyn mentioned it, but I never hear of Robyn in the actual friend group, I just hear of her as Dylan's friend who had a crush on him. Brooks did not like her and said she threw herself at him too much.

PostSubject: Re: Zach Heckler and the January Incident   Zach Heckler and the January Incident Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Zach Heckler and the January Incident
Page 1 of 1