Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

National Geographic Article

Go down 
+6
spidEr
Jea
Littlelo
TaylorsMom
Lizpuff
Screamingophelia
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 195548
Forum Reputation : 1317

National Geographic Article Empty
PostSubject: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 10:54 am

Halfway down there is a photo that I have never seen of Coni Sanders and Sue Klebold, there's also a little blurb.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

SUE KLEBOLD AND CONI SANDERS
Sharing sorrow: Klebold (at left) is the mother of Dylan Klebold, one of two teenagers who carried out the 1999 shooting at Colorado’s Columbine High School. Klebold wrote about her experience in A Mother’s Reckoning and donates any profits to mental health charities. She has become a mother figure to Sanders (at right), whose father was killed in the massacre. For years Sanders was angry with Klebold for raising a son who became a killer. But her struggle to raise her own teenagers helped her understand Klebold. “If anyone’s pain is greater than my own, it’s hers,” she says. The women, here at a memorial for the victims in Olinger Chapel Hill Cemetery, now share a strong bond.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 98449
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 11:06 am

There is so much emotion in that photo. I like it a lot.

Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 11:40 am

I'm glad they found a comfort in each other. If you look back at other interviews from years ago you'd never think Coni would have that kind of relationship with Sue.

I know I have mentioned it before, but I do sometimes wonder if it is a little easier because Eric killed Mr. Sanders, not Dylan... I wonder if the families compartmentalize in that way?

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 98449
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
I'm glad they found a comfort in each other. If you look back at other interviews from years ago you'd never think Coni would have that kind of relationship with Sue.

I know I have mentioned it before, but I do sometimes wonder if it is a little easier because Eric killed Mr. Sanders, not Dylan... I wonder if the families compartmentalize in that way?

I think a fair amount do. Some may fall into thinking that Dylan was a follower too. And since Sue is so vocal now while the Harrises have drawn back into themselves, might be easier for them to sympathize with her

TaylorsMom

TaylorsMom

Contribution Points : 80417
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 12:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I agree 100%!!
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 68778
Forum Reputation : 90

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 2:46 pm

This photo is heartbreaking. I had no idea Sue was so close with Coni, it makes me happy that they were able to form a bond even if it's over something so awful :/
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 2:53 pm

Littlelo wrote:
This photo is heartbreaking. I had no idea Sue was so close with Coni, it makes me happy that they were able to form a bond even if it's over something so awful :/

I never knew either!

It’s interesting and really shows how good hearted people can be.
Back to top Go down
Jea

Jea

Contribution Points : 60567
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 4:53 pm

I admire Sue as mother. She is so loving, and so tender. Actually I'm really sad about what she is being thru. Hope one day she gonna forgive herself, because it's not her fault at all

Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Jea wrote:
I admire Sue as mother. She is so loving, and so tender. Actually I'm really sad about what she is being thru. Hope one day she gonna forgive herself, because it's not her fault at all

She has the saddest eyes I’ve ever seen. I think all the work she’s doing has to help.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm

I also hope she has forgiven herself. I don’t think she would ever admit it for fear of backlash. But as she said in her book, she is not Dylan. She didn’t kill anyone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Halfway down there is a photo that I have never seen of Coni Sanders and Sue Klebold, there's also a little blurb.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

SUE KLEBOLD AND CONI SANDERS
Sharing sorrow: Klebold (at left) is the mother of Dylan Klebold, one of two teenagers who carried out the 1999 shooting at Colorado’s Columbine High School. Klebold wrote about her experience in A Mother’s Reckoning and donates any profits to mental health charities. She has become a mother figure to Sanders (at right), whose father was killed in the massacre. For years Sanders was angry with Klebold for raising a son who became a killer. But her struggle to raise her own teenagers helped her understand Klebold. “If anyone’s pain is greater than my own, it’s hers,” she says. The women, here at a memorial for the victims in Olinger Chapel Hill Cemetery, now share a strong bond.

The emotions in that photo are so fake.
Back to top Go down
Jea

Jea

Contribution Points : 60567
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 5:38 pm

I'm not talking only about killings, I mean forgive herself for hers son death too, because many people has forgot that she lost her child too, and I think she still love and miss Dylan. Usually parents of children who commits suicide blame themselves whole life, and often going back to that day and thinking "what should I do to prevent it".

spidEr

spidEr

Contribution Points : 71851
Forum Reputation : 145

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 3:39 am

I like that photo, and I really respect Coni. She is very forgiving and understanding, and she even went on to work with criminals to help them out afterwards. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] about the emotions in that photo being fake, Coni would probably agree with you on that as there was a photo of her sneezing in one of the newspapers and the text under it said that she was praying and she laughed with Sue about how the media try to exaggerate everything.

I don't know how people could still blame Sue, I mean it took Columbine to happen before people looked out for warning signs like that and if she really knew her son was capable of murder, why did she calmly sleep under the same roof as him?
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 100819
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 4:27 am

I remember reading that Sue has regular contact with two people who had family die at Columbine, I know Rachel's mum was one of them so I guess Coni Sanders was the other.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 8:25 am

spidEr wrote:
I like that photo, and I really respect Coni. She is very forgiving and understanding, and she even went on to work with criminals to help them out afterwards. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] about the emotions in that photo being fake, Coni would probably agree with you on that as there was a photo of her sneezing in one of the newspapers and the text under it said that she was praying and she laughed with Sue about how the media try to exaggerate everything.

I don't know how people could still blame Sue, I mean it took Columbine to happen before people looked out for warning signs like that and if she really knew her son was capable of murder, why did she calmly sleep under the same roof as him?

She's said since day one she was never afraid of Dylan.Even that day when he said he was getting really angry, she was afraid for him.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 8:26 am

Juicy Jazzy wrote:
I remember reading that Sue has regular contact with two people who had family die at Columbine, I know Rachel's mum was one of them so I guess Coni Sanders was the other.

Rachel's mom kind of surprises me. I inferred that the mother who told Sue that her daughters death was preordained (so Dylan was always meant to kill her) was Rachel's mom... it's from AMR. I can find the page if anyone wants.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 am

IMO, I don’t think Sue’s emotions in that photo are fake. This woman doesn’t have to prove her grief to anyone and she knows it. I doubt anyone questions how heartbroken she is. Why play it up for a camera?
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 9:12 am

Littlelo wrote:
IMO, I don’t think Sue’s emotions in that photo are fake. This woman doesn’t have to prove her grief to anyone and she knows it. I doubt anyone questions how heartbroken she is. Why play it up for a camera?

It is hard to imagine but of course you'd feel heartbroken going to a memorial for people who your son killed with the daughter of a man your son killed has to be very emotional. Also Sue has always talked about how any kindness can bring her to tears. Take it from someone who has seen her speak in person, the emotions are real.
Back to top Go down
spinvault

spinvault

Contribution Points : 75603
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 6:03 pm

The photo seems so private and personal. I wonder if they knew they were being photographed.
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 100819
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 9:05 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Rachel's mom kind of surprises me. I inferred that the mother who told Sue that her daughters death was preordained (so Dylan was always meant to kill her) was Rachel's mom... it's from AMR. I can find the page if anyone wants.
There is a women's Bible study series on Youtube and they had Rachel's mum on one episode the year I'm Not Ashamed came out. She told the host that at first she was furious that the parents had no idea what their sons were planning. But when she learned how deep Rachel went with Christianity and God (and some other examples were given about her other children) she realised she had no idea about her own daughter, and then she came to realise that something similar must have happened with Sue and Dylan. She went on to say they talk from time to time, and keep in contact.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 9:36 pm

[quote="Juicy Jazzy"]
Screamingophelia wrote:
There is a women's Bible study series on Youtube and they had Rachel's mum on one episode the year I'm Not Ashamed came out. She told the host that at first she was furious that the parents had no idea what their sons were planning. But when she learned how deep Rachel went with Christianity and God (and some other examples were given about her other children) she realised she had no idea about her own daughter, and then she came to realise that something similar must have happened with Sue and Dylan. She went on to say they talk from time to time, and keep in contact.[/quote

That's amazing, thanks for telling me that, I didn't know. That was after the book came out too.
Back to top Go down
Kerea2244
Top 10 Contributor
Kerea2244

Contribution Points : 125925
Forum Reputation : 40

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 1:32 am

I've always felt so bad for Sue. The fact that she has to live with her son being known as a murderer, taking his own life, and having everyone blame her for what her son did: that has to be really awful. I'm glad that Coni and Sue have comfort with each other

Xtina likes this post

Back to top Go down
Xtina
Top Contributor
Xtina

Contribution Points : 38116
Forum Reputation : 256

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 2:37 am

Rachel Scott's mum too they are friends. I love sue.

PostSubject: Re: National Geographic Article   National Geographic Article Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

National Geographic Article
Page 1 of 1