Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released  Empty
PostSubject: James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released    James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 12:33 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(Full Reports are included in the above article link)
In the weeks before a University of Colorado graduate student killed 12 and injured 70 in an Aurora movie theater, a campus psychiatrist wrote that he had been hostile toward her but had made no threats and had no history of violence, according to the doctor’s notes obtained by The Denver Post through a legal petition.

In handwritten notes from May 1, 2012, Dr. Lynne Fenton wrote that convicted shooter James Holmes was silent and sullen but said he was “good” when asked how he was doing. The psychiatrist also asked Holmes about how he reacted after she mistakenly wrote the wrong last name on his prescription.

“He very reluctantly says his ‘fists’ (the q’s) & punching me in the eye ‘violence — is that what you needed to hear,'” Fenton wrote of his response to her questioning.

Fenton’s notes and the reports of two other psychiatrists who examined Holmes were made public for the first time late last week when former 18th Judicial District Chief Judge Carlos Samour unsealed them. Samour unsealed the documents after The Denver Post filed a motion to release them. The release was the last official act of Samour as a district court judge in Arapahoe County, where he presided over the theater-shooting trial in 2015. On Monday, he was sworn in as a Colorado Supreme Court justice.

The other documents released included sanity evaluations written by Dr. Jeffrey L. Metzner and Dr. William H. Reid, psychiatrists who evaluated Holmes in the months leading up to his death penalty trial. Holmes had pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, and the two evaluations were meant to determine whether or not he was legally sane at the time he committed the crimes.

“It’s a good outcome for the public to see records that played a prominent role in this capital murder case and that may have indeed informed the jury in deciding not to sentence Holmes to death,” said attorney Steve Zansberg, who represents The Denver Post.

The reports were discussed during weeks of testimony, and all three doctors appeared in court to discuss their findings. Fenton’s notes were given to the jury but the two expert reports were not, and none were publicly released. The Post petitioned the court, and Samour agreed with the newspaper’s arguments that the documents should be made public because the U.S. justice system cannot operate in secrecy.

“The justice system, which is one of the bedrocks of this nation’s democracy, cannot survive if the public loses trust in it, and the public does not trust that which is concealed from it,” Samour wrote.

Samour said he originally suppressed the reports during the trial because he wanted to protect the jury pool when it came to the most significant issue in the case — Holmes’ mental health.

Samour determined that Holmes lost his patient-doctor privacy privileges when he argued a sanity defense. The judge permited the Colorado Attorney General’s Office to redact some portions of the reports to protect confidential testing information in sanity exams.

Fenton’s notes were of particular concern because she had chosen not to place a mental health hold on Holmes, which could have prevented the theater shooting. Fenton was sued over that decision. But the lawsuit filed by Chantel Blunk, widow of Jonathan Blunk, was dismissed in 2016, according to court records.

Efforts to reach Fenton on Monday were unsuccessful.

In her notes, Fenton repeatedly expressed concern over the shooter’s homicidal thoughts but lack of a willingness to address specifics with her. Holmes also told the psychiatrist that if he revealed more details she would “lock him up.”

“Angry that I won’t tell him my philosophical ideas of purpose of life ‘I’ve told you all mine. Are you just a pill-pusher?'” she wrote.

Ultimately, Fenton consulted a second psychiatrist, notified the university’s threat assessment team and contacted Holmes’ mother against his wishes. But she concluded he did not meet the criteria for mental health hold. Though he planned to drop out of graduate school, Fenton noted that the student mental health service would be happy to continue treating him even if he no longer had health insurance.
Back to top Go down
STK

STK

Contribution Points : 72769
Forum Reputation : 330

PostSubject: Re: James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released    James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 2:20 am

Awesome! Nice find mate!

"If opportunities for role fulfilment fall far short of the demand by those capable of filling roles, and having expectations to do so, only violence and disruption of social organization can follow. Individuals born under these circumstances will be so out of touch with reality as to be incapable even of alienation. Their most complex behaviors will become fragmented. Acquisition, creation and utilization of ideas appropriate for life in a post-industrial cultural-conceptual-technological society will have been blocked."
- John B. Calhoun

"If I died thirsty, it wouldn't matter for me if it rains ever again"
- Abu Firas al-Hamdani
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released    James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 6:47 am

Mh_12rm_66 wrote:
Fenton’s notes were of particular concern because she had chosen not to place a mental health hold on Holmes, which could have prevented the theater shooting. Fenton was sued over that decision. But the lawsuit filed by Chantel Blunk, widow of Jonathan Blunk, was dismissed in 2016, according to court records.

It must be horrible for her, she made a mistake but was it that obvious that James Holmes could harm others? He said disturbing things but maybe it is rather common with people who have mental health issues and yet they do not do dangerous things. It is easy to say she could have prevented the shooting now that we all know what happened, but since she didn't she probably had reasons. But I don't know, maybe it was really negligence and she made a serious misconduct.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released    James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 10:55 am

I think it would be hard to know you have to make decisions that can effect a person for the rest of their life.

It would be a very fine line to walk trying to decide if someone was just venting as everyone does, OR if they could possibly be capable of hurting themselves or others. No
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193506
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released    James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 11:01 am

A lot of the people who are committing the shootings either are falling through the cracks or are adept at making it seem like they’re OK

Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 122083
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released    James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 7:08 pm

James stated that he was suicidal before deciding to become homicidal.

Suicidal ideation to homicidal ideation - sound familiar?

From March to May 2012 he told the psychiatrist that for a long time he has wanted to kill people.

If that is not a red flag, I don't know what is.

RandoKiwi32 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193506
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released    James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 7:40 pm

sororityalpha wrote:

Slightly! Paint me a word picture.
Back to top Go down
sscc

Contribution Points : 82861
Forum Reputation : 548

PostSubject: Re: James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released    James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 1:20 am

Here are the direct links.

Below is the order from former 18th Judicial District Chief Judge Carlos Samour to unseal psychiatric reports from the 2015 Aurora Theater Shooting trial.

These are notes, memos and reports from Dr. Lynne Fenton, a University of Colorado psychiatrist, and Margaret Roath, a University of Colorado licensed social worker, about the Aurora theater shooter James Holmes.

The sanity evaluation of the Aurora theater shooter James Holmes by Dr. Jeffrey L. Metzner, a psychiatrist.

The mental health evaluation on the Aurora theater shooter from Dr. William H. Reid, a Texas psychiatrist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released    James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 3:52 am

sororityalpha wrote:

From March to May 2012 he told the psychiatrist that for a long time he has wanted to kill people.

If that is not a red flag, I don't know what is.

Sure, it is a red flag but since it was her job and she didn't make anything about James Holmes, I assume that there was something that made her think he was not really dangerous, at least to others. Maybe this kind of words are said by many people who don't really mean it or would never kill people, for example: "I hate people, I want to kill everyone!" said when he was angry could just be an exaggeration due to his mood. I don't know how he said that, obviously now we know everything so we know it was a huge red flag, but back then it was maybe not that obvious. I also think I would take someone more seriously if he says: "I want to kill Joe, Mike and Chris", or "I want to kill people in a mall" than things like "I want to kill everyone/ the whole society/ every person on earth".
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 122083
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released    James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2018 1:15 am

Yes, having a desire to kill people for a long time is definitely a red flag.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97390
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released    James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2018 4:58 am

Neah wrote:
Mh_12rm_66 wrote:

It must be horrible for her, she made a mistake but was it that obvious that James Holmes could harm others? He said disturbing things but maybe it is rather common with people who have mental health issues and yet they do not do dangerous things. It is easy to say she could have prevented the shooting now that we all know what happened, but since she didn't she probably had reasons. But I don't know, maybe it was really negligence and she made a serious misconduct.

A proper diagnosis and treatement is based not just on observation and knowledge of the professional, but on the cooperation on the client's side and the information he/she shares (or declines to share). Mental health professionals have some tools to spot lies, but they are not mind-readers.

It is very, very hard to properly diagnose a person who does not cooperate with you. Especially in cases with adult, intelligent (not mentally handicapped) clients who have some sort of agenda that you are not being made privy to. A dishonest, evasive client can cause an incorrect diagnosis by witholding information or feeding false information to the diagnosticians.

I'm not familiar with enough details to offer a more in-depth evaluation about Fenton's performance. But it needs to be said that a lot of people with mental health issues do have violent thoughts and the vast majority does not follow through on those. Violent thoughts are a symptom, not a mental disorder of their own. Alone, this symptom is certainly not enough to warrant any sort of restriction of freedom.

There are other signs and behaviors that psychologists are trained to look for when it comes to potentially violent (or dangerous to themselves) individuals. I'm not sure any were present and if they were then I'm still not sure Holmes shared these with Fenton.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released    James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

James Holmes Psychiatric Reports Released
Page 1 of 1