Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What Are We Missing?

Go down 
+4
Screamingophelia
Pixie13
sympathyforEandD
thelmar
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Grant Lacy

Grant Lacy

Contribution Points : 52525
Forum Reputation : 0

What Are We Missing? Empty
PostSubject: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2018 9:49 pm

With the number of school shooting fatalities steadily rising year by year, do you guys believe that there is something that we are missing in preventing massacres like columbine. I'm not disputing gun reform, but I still feel like the idea of taking away the means to commit the crimes rather then address the underlining problem at hand, may decrease fatalities but not address the reasons someone would commit such a horrible act in the first place.
Back to top Go down
thelmar

thelmar

Contribution Points : 82782
Forum Reputation : 3068

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2018 11:53 pm

I think that beginning with Columbine, for most mass shootings the police have identified some "defect" in the murderer which, by and large, absolves society of any role in that person's actions.
e.g., Eric Harris was a psychopath. Welp, you can't fix that, he was gonna kill somebody someday. Nothing more to learn here, folks.

I feel like it helps people to think that the gunman was just crazy rather than to think, "Hey, that person is a lot like me, how could he have gone so wrong?" If we humanize murderers than we have to take some of the responsibility for what they became or we have to dig deeper for reason and understanding. Frankly, I don't think that most people are willing to do that because it's difficult and scary.

Disclaimer- this doesn't apply to all murderers, of course, but I feel like this trend started with Columbine.

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120403
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 1:25 am

Grant Lacy wrote:
With the number of school shooting fatalities steadily rising year by year, do you guys believe that there is something that we are missing in preventing massacres like columbine. I'm not disputing gun reform, but I still feel like the idea of taking away the means to commit the crimes rather then address the underlining problem at hand, may decrease fatalities but not address the reasons someone would commit such a horrible act in the first place.

I think the big problem is that the "underlining problem" is different from each shooter. There might be some other, greater problem at work, but if there is, it's a mystery.

sympathyforEandD

sympathyforEandD

Contribution Points : 71219
Forum Reputation : 486

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 7:14 am

School shootings happen because of bullying. Name one school shooter who was an athletic jock surrounded by girls or the captain of the football team. They're always scrawny kids who look like they get a hard time. After being picked on constantly (probably starting from an early age) they eventually want to murder their tormentors. Anyone who had a hard time at school knows that teachers often look the other way. And usually give the nervous shy kids grief while the school bully gets off scot free. This is probably a big factor too. If you want to stop school shooters you need to stop kids being picked on.
Back to top Go down
Pixie13

Contribution Points : 56751
Forum Reputation : 270

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 10:19 am

From a UK perspective I still think it is the ready access to guns and acceptance of gun violence. It's national news in Britain if the police shot someone dead and it's hard to cause the same damage in a school with knives (although we do have a knife problem with teenagers in the UK).
School shootings just don't happen here. It maybe that the hiearchy is less pronounced but there is still bullying that causes violence, rage and suicide. Two boys in England were sent to prison this summer for planning a "Columbine attack" but I actually doubt they would have the access or shooting skills needed to cary out their plans. I think the usual tragic ending to bullying and mental health issues here is drugs or suicide.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 10:25 am

sympathyforEandD wrote:
School shootings happen because of bullying. Name one school shooter who was an athletic jock surrounded by girls or the captain of the football team. They're always scrawny kids who look like they get a hard time. After being picked on constantly (probably starting from an early age) they eventually want to murder their tormentors. Anyone who had a hard time at school knows that teachers often look the other way. And usually give the nervous shy kids grief while the school bully gets off scot free. This is probably a big factor too. If you want to stop school shooters you need to stop kids being picked on.

I don't think this is necessarily the correct answer.

If bullying was the only thing that causes school shootings, you'd see a lot more than the ones we've had already.

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 10:40 am

QuestionMark wrote:
Grant Lacy wrote:

I think the big problem is that the "underlining problem" is different from each shooter. There might be some other, greater problem at work, but if there is, it's a mystery.

Agreed. There are different issues that effected each shooter. You can't just lump them all together and try to find that ONE thing that made them all snap. But it is true most had varying mental issues.

I have said this many times before, but until mental health is put into the limelight and gets more attention then the weapon these people use then nothing will get better.   No
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193257
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 11:14 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
Grant Lacy wrote:

Agreed. There are different issues that effected each shooter. You can't just lump them all together and try to find that ONE thing that made them all snap. But it is true most had varying mental issues.

I have said this many times before, but until mental health is put into the limelight and gets more attention then the weapon these people use then nothing will get better.   No

Exactly. Each shooter seems to have a different motive and background.

Yet people want to put a rubber stamp on it like “incel” or “toxic masculinity” or “too many guns” and be on their way..

Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 11:25 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
Grant Lacy wrote:

Yet people want to put a rubber stamp on it like “incel” or “toxic masculinity” or “too many guns” and be on their way..

People like to be able to narrow things down and make it simple, usually conforming to whatever their pet bias is. The reality is, to quote Brooks, there are no easy answers.

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 11:37 am

QuestionMark wrote:
People like to be able to narrow things down and make it simple, usually conforming to whatever their pet bias is. The reality is, to quote Brooks, there are no easy answers.

Very true indeed. People like to try to simplify things that are way beyond any scope of simplification. Yet they continue to gloss over something trying to make it palatable to the masses. Rolling Eyes

"Sure this is ONLY about the weapon, get rid of the weapon and get rid of the problem"

That may sound good at first, it may even sound fairly smart. UNTIL you realize there are other weapons and others means for someone to kill others.

Last edited by ShadowedGoddess on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 11:38 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
Grant Lacy wrote:

Agree.
Back to top Go down
TheBigLebowski

Contribution Points : 52835

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2018 12:14 pm

They both need attention. In countries where it is more difficult to acquire weapons, such shootings happen less.
And yes mental issues are getting too little attention, but luckily more and more each year. It is not a taboo anymore. Burnout, depression etc have gotten a lot more attention in my country at least (The Netherlands).

Plus if the police put 1 and 1 together in an earlier stage, things could be prevented.

There are indeed many factors to take into account, not only weapons.
Back to top Go down
bradt93

Contribution Points : 91056
Forum Reputation : 255

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 4:09 am

Pixie13 wrote:
From a UK perspective I still think it is the ready access to guns and acceptance of gun violence. It's national news in Britain if the police shot someone dead and it's hard to cause the same damage in a school with knives (although we do have a knife problem with teenagers in the UK).
School shootings just don't happen here. It maybe that the hiearchy is less pronounced but there is still bullying that causes violence, rage and suicide. Two boys in England were sent to prison this summer for planning a "Columbine attack" but I actually doubt they would have the access or shooting skills needed to cary out their plans. I think the usual tragic ending to bullying and mental health issues here is drugs or suicide.
Wait, wasn't the Santa Fe shooter a football player?
Back to top Go down
Grant Lacy

Grant Lacy

Contribution Points : 52525

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 6:21 am

Cheers for the input guys, you're theory's have been very interesting to read Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Are We Missing?   What Are We Missing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Are We Missing?
Page 1 of 1