Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?

Go down 
+4
Rosie1756
Mr Bubbless
UncontinuedProcess
D-FENS1993
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Empty
PostSubject: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2018 12:48 am

I mean at a school/university not like Las Vegas or Dallas. Sure there was the westside school shooting but I mean on a larger scale
Back to top Go down
D-FENS1993

D-FENS1993

Contribution Points : 58856
Forum Reputation : 0

Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2018 7:27 am

Probably not given how in order to carry out such an attack in a successful manner, one would need a certain degree of proficiency with rifles which the vast majority of school shooters do not have. This combine with the fact that to my knowledge very few schools/universities have multi-story buildings overlooking areas where large numbers of student and faculty congregate (But I am not American so I wouldn't know for sure) makes it extremely unlikely for such a shooting to take place.

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 am

Well it doesn't have to be a multi-level building. Plus there was the Olean high school shooting
Back to top Go down
D-FENS1993

D-FENS1993

Contribution Points : 58856
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2018 10:10 am

Yes that's true. But that was 46 years ago. And only two people were killed by the actual sniping. I feel as though you are focusing on the wrong point of my argument.

UncontinuedProcess

UncontinuedProcess

Contribution Points : 67057
Forum Reputation : 430

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Nickolas Cruz attempted to shoot out from a window on the third floor in Building 12 at fleeing students but those windows were however were hurricane proof/ somewhat bulletproof so he failed in doing that. I heard and seen people bring up that Cruz directly mentioned Charles Whitman or at least the University of Texas but I haven't seen anything about it what so ever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 pm

UncontinuedProcess wrote:
Nickolas Cruz attempted to shoot out from a window on the third floor in Building 12 at fleeing students but those windows were however were hurricane proof/ somewhat bulletproof so he failed in doing that. I heard and seen people bring up that Cruz directly mentioned Charles Whitman or at least the University of Texas but I haven't seen anything about it what so ever.

The Charles Whitman thing people have mentioned is in reference to a comment Cruz allegedly left on YouTube on a video about the Texas Tower Shooting, posted below:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2021 11:36 pm

It could but I don't think it would last long.
Back to top Go down
Mr Bubbless
Top Contributor
Mr Bubbless

Contribution Points : 39171
Forum Reputation : 731

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2021 6:21 am

[REDACTED]

QuestionMark and MilverSoxie like this post

Rosie1756 dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
Rosie1756

Rosie1756

Contribution Points : 15746
Forum Reputation : 227

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2022 1:12 am

Charles Whitman remained unchallenged for so long because the tower was the only high building in the area, if there was another tall building nearby, police could have shot at him from there.
Back to top Go down
DanielBryer

DanielBryer

Contribution Points : 29553
Forum Reputation : 104

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2022 3:57 am

I reckon it could happen again.
Back to top Go down
Denethor

Denethor

Contribution Points : 14463
Forum Reputation : 166

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2024 11:49 am

heh

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Arano likes this post

Back to top Go down
RickMaster

RickMaster

Contribution Points : 9226
Forum Reputation : 113

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2024 12:03 pm

If someone as the right gun and the right training like Charles did and a really good vantage point, then probably yes.

The vantage point doesn't have to be a high tower.

Just a really high place to shoot from.

-Roddy "The Rod" Piper, "They Live" (1988)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2024 8:21 pm

Raymond Spencer attempted a similar feat at a school (although I imagine he was more inspired by Las Vegas) anyway, and while his plan failed miserably in theory, it could've succeeded if he had waited for dismissal when a large crowd of kids would've been leaving the building (which I imagine was his original plan), although this is a bit different from Las Vegas/Texas Tower since he would've been firing at them at a much closer range and wouldn't of required the same level of marksmanship or planning where to aim. Now, as for whether someone could pull off a Texas Tower 2.0 successfully, I see no reason why it isn't possible in theory; schools with tall buildings near them still exist, and guns still exist.

Although it is possible, it won't likely happen anytime soon since the average wannabe school shooter doesn't have impressive marksmanship skills and is much more inclined to just shoot them from close range, which is easier all things considered.

Worth mentioning is that school shooters will sometimes snipe people as part of the massacre (or at least attempt to). What I mean by this is that while they're in the building shooting people at close range, they proceed to take the opportunity to snipe people when the opportunity arises. For example, in the somewhat recent Prague shooting, the shooter, while on the roof, proceeded to fire at random below, injuring three people. Another example is how Nik Cruz attempted to pull this off by shooting through a window on the third floor at fleeing students, but was unable to do so as the glass was reinforced. We will probably see this again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2024 12:54 pm

Last edited by SpeciesTraitor on Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2024 5:30 pm

Last edited by SpeciesTraitor on Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2024 1:40 pm

SpeciesTraitor wrote:
DanielBryer wrote:
I reckon it could happen again.

I could see it happening in a place like Japan, where bolt-action hunting rifles are the most effective firearms for civilians.
If we ever see another shooting in Japan, as in an actual rampage with somebody trying to kill as many as possible, not just like a domestic dispute, it'll probably be with a pump-action or semi-automatic shotgun since those are attainable in Japan for hunting and sports shooting purposes. Think something more akin to all the Russian shootings using shotguns in recent years, although I doubt we'll see a shooting like that in Japan any time soon since east Asians outside of Thailand aren't really interested in massacres that involve firearms as opposed to stabbing, vehicles, or arson.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97590
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2024 3:07 pm

SpeciesTraitor wrote:
Nobody knows how to operate bolt action rifles with telescopic sights anymore.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

All it takes is a hunter or sports shooter. In the US there's tons of students like that - they had a grandpa who took them deer hunting with a .30-06 from the age of 11.

I think a 'sniper style attack' could happen at an university or other higher education facility.. It would not be as successful, cause people are more used to these things and the police would intervene faster and probably much more efficiently.

my 0.02$

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland

Denethor likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2024 9:12 pm

Last edited by SpeciesTraitor on Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RickMaster

RickMaster

Contribution Points : 9226
Forum Reputation : 113

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2024 3:52 am

Even if Canada has strict gun control, you can still buy some cool hunting rifle and their not bad either.

You just need a license to own a gun. It's the only thing getting in the way.

Or if your desperate enough you can just buy an illegal gun, were not short of these here in Canada lol.

-Roddy "The Rod" Piper, "They Live" (1988)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?   Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do You Think Another Charles Whitman Style Attack Could Happen Again Today?
Page 1 of 1