Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

 

 Doom and Eric

Go down 
+4
queenfarooq
tfsa47090
JayJay
rik75
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest




Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Im playing Doom 3 actually (for the second time) and its clearly one of the most atmospheric Games, I have ever played. Im not that much into Games, but I really like how Doom seems to put more concentration in creating a morbid and sinister atmosphere, than in making the Game complex (the opposite of what most actual games do).

Why do you think was Doom the game, Eric seemed so obsessed with? If he was just looking for a violent and gory one, he could have chosen dozens of other games. What exactly did fascinate him on the futuristic areas and obscure monsters? How much impact had the game on his fantasy of himself as a soldier and warrior?


Last edited by Hale-Bopp on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rik75




Posts : 504
Contribution Points : 96818
Forum Reputation : 50
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 48
Location : Cornwall England

Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 2:38 pm

Hale-Bopp wrote:
Im playing Doom 3 actually (for the second time) and its clearly one of the most atmospheric Games, I have ever played. Im not that much into Games, but I really like how Doom seems to put more concentration in creating a morbid and sinister atmosphere, than in making the Game complex (the opposite of what most actual games do).

Why do you think was Doom the game, Eric seemed so obsessed with? If he was just looking for a violent and gory one, he could have chosen dozens of other games. What exactly did fascinate him on the futuristic areas and obscure monsters. How much impact had the game on his fantasy of himself as a soldier and warrior?
Hi Hale-Bopp ,i have never played Doom. I like shooter games like ,medal of honor ,silent hill and resident evil. I think Eric's shooting fantasies may have developed around Doom. The game allowed him to let off steam and kill. I think the Columbine massacre made Eric's fantasies come to life. Why did Eric choose Doom? I don't know ,it may simply be preference. In his journal he talks about the time he got his first gun. He was ecstatic. Doom was slowly becoming a reality.Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
rik75




Posts : 504
Contribution Points : 96818
Forum Reputation : 50
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 48
Location : Cornwall England

Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Also ,without a gun in his hand Eric was nothing ,weak and pathetic. The firearms gave him power ,strength and respect.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 3:24 pm

What a spooky coincidence! I also just started to play Doom 3 a few days ago out of curiosity and I'm completely absorbed by this dreadful climate, I almost peed up my pants a couple of times playing it.
But doom 2 is much different from 3 due to older graphics and hardly makes any impression on today's player,imo (anyway it deserves respect naturally), but if it goes about 90' gamers... Prob Eric liked doom because it contained everything he liked - fps, brutality, monsters, sci-fi/horror, military motives etc. I don't know how many games like this one were avalaible then.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Btw, I found very peculiar video on yt, where some guy not knowing who Eric Harris was examines his doom wads - in the end he says something like 'I bet he's succesful these days in what he does'...just... laughed my head off.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 4:13 pm

rigormortis wrote:
What a spooky coincidence! I also just started to play Doom 3 a few days ago out of curiosity and I'm completely absorbed by this dreadful climate, I almost peed up my pants a couple of times playing it.
But doom 2 is much different from 3 due to older graphics and hardly makes any impression on today's player,imo (anyway it deserves respect naturally), but if it goes about 90' gamers... Prob Eric liked doom because it contained everything he liked - fps, brutality, monsters, sci-fi/horror, military motives etc. I don't know how many games like this one were avalaible then.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Btw, I found very peculiar video on yt, where some guy not knowing who Eric Harris was examines his doom wads - in the end he says something like 'I bet he's succesful these days in what he does'...just... laughed my head off.
It is kind of hard for me to imagine, how Doom and Doom 2 must have felt for someone in the 90s, who didnt know, that games can be ways more realistic....he probably saw them in the same way as "realistic" as we do it with our games now (The people in 2030 will probably also laugh about the graphics of Far Cry 2).

The Video...according to the commentaries, he even says at the end, that he tried to contact Eric....Laughing


Last edited by Hale-Bopp on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JayJay




Posts : 265
Contribution Points : 96689
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-09-28
Location : At the library

Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 11:15 pm

Now, I'm not a gamer but I saw the graphics for Doom and the later versions are nothing like the first game. So, it sounds like the game Eric and Dylan played was not nearly as atmospheric as the latest releases. Just a lot of blood and mayhem, as he would enjoy...in real life.

On another note, an observation. I showed the Rampage Range video to a gamer. The guy has never shot any rifle, knows next to nothing about real guns. However, he was immediately able to name the kind of gun Eric was shooting and how many munitions it held and sort of chuckled when he noticed that. I was surprised. ''How do you know about that gun? You know nothing about guns.'', I said. He said: ''Every gamer knows this type of gun.'' Then, I realized, Eric bought a gun just like the ones he probably used in his favourite video games.
Back to top Go down
tfsa47090
Global Moderator & Top 10 Contributor



Posts : 944
Contribution Points : 100813
Forum Reputation : 91
Join date : 2013-03-18

Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 12:37 am

rigormortis wrote:


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Btw, I found very peculiar video on yt, where some guy not knowing who Eric Harris was examines his doom wads - in the end he says something like 'I bet he's succesful these days in what he does'...just... laughed my head off.
Hale-Bopp wrote:


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


The Video...according to the commentaries, he even says at the end, that he tried to contact Eric....Laughing 

I remember seeing that video a few months back, and honestly, I don't believe he doesn't know who Eric Harris was. I think he's trolling to an extent with regard to that. I know I could be wrong about that, but I honestly don't buy it. I think he's being sarcastic, even though his tone throughout stays the same.....I think it's a bit of a sarcastic joke.
Back to top Go down
rik75




Posts : 504
Contribution Points : 96818
Forum Reputation : 50
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 48
Location : Cornwall England

Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 9:08 am

tfsa47090 wrote:
rigormortis wrote:


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Btw, I found very peculiar video on yt, where some guy not knowing who Eric Harris was examines his doom wads - in the end he says something like 'I bet he's succesful these days in what he does'...just... laughed my head off.
Hale-Bopp wrote:


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


The Video...according to the commentaries, he even says at the end, that he tried to contact Eric....Laughing 
I remember seeing that video a few months back, and honestly, I don't believe he doesn't know who Eric Harris was. I think he's trolling to an extent with regard to that. I know I could be wrong about that, but I honestly don't buy it. I think he's being sarcastic, even though his tone throughout stays the same.....I think it's a bit of a sarcastic joke.
I don't think he wanted to mention Columbine because he just wanted to focus on the game:?:
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 9:27 am

rik75 wrote:
tfsa47090 wrote:
rigormortis wrote:


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Btw, I found very peculiar video on yt, where some guy not knowing who Eric Harris was examines his doom wads - in the end he says something like 'I bet he's succesful these days in what he does'...just... laughed my head off.
Hale-Bopp wrote:


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


The Video...according to the commentaries, he even says at the end, that he tried to contact Eric....Laughing 
I remember seeing that video a few months back, and honestly, I don't believe he doesn't know who Eric Harris was. I think he's trolling to an extent with regard to that. I know I could be wrong about that, but I honestly don't buy it. I think he's being sarcastic, even though his tone throughout stays the same.....I think it's a bit of a sarcastic joke.
I don't think he wanted to mention Columbine because he just wanted to focus on the game:?:
But there is a difference between not mentioning Columbine and saying that he tried to contact Eric Harris, because he liked his levels.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 12:21 pm

JayJay wrote:
Now, I'm not a gamer but I saw the graphics for Doom and the later versions are nothing like the first game. So, it sounds like the game Eric and Dylan played was not nearly as atmospheric as the latest releases. Just a lot of blood and mayhem, as he would enjoy...in real life.
But when Eric mentions the game in his school essays he seems to be very focused on the atmosphere. I dont remember, where these essays were in the documents. Mabe someone else can quote from it?
Back to top Go down
queenfarooq




Posts : 709
Contribution Points : 102137
Forum Reputation : 10
Join date : 2013-03-17
Location : England

Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 4:41 pm

Hale-Bopp wrote:
But when Eric mentions the game in his school essays he seems to be very focused on the atmosphere. I dont remember, where these essays were in the documents. Mabe someone else can quote from it?
Erics' essay on Doom is on pg(26593 - 4)

Yumi likes this post

Back to top Go down
rik75




Posts : 504
Contribution Points : 96818
Forum Reputation : 50
Join date : 2013-10-12
Age : 48
Location : Cornwall England

Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Hale-Bopp wrote:
Im playing Doom 3 actually (for the second time) and its clearly one of the most atmospheric Games, I have ever played. Im not that much into Games, but I really like how Doom seems to put more concentration in creating a morbid and sinister atmosphere, than in making the Game complex (the opposite of what most actual games do).

Why do you think was Doom the game, Eric seemed so obsessed with? If he was just looking for a violent and gory one, he could have chosen dozens of other games. What exactly did fascinate him on the futuristic areas and obscure monsters? How much impact had the game on his fantasy of himself as a soldier and warrior?
Are you playing Doom on a pc or console?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 5:32 pm

rik75 wrote:
Hale-Bopp wrote:
Im playing Doom 3 actually (for the second time) and its clearly one of the most atmospheric Games, I have ever played. Im not that much into Games, but I really like how Doom seems to put more concentration in creating a morbid and sinister atmosphere, than in making the Game complex (the opposite of what most actual games do).

Why do you think was Doom the game, Eric seemed so obsessed with? If he was just looking for a violent and gory one, he could have chosen dozens of other games. What exactly did fascinate him on the futuristic areas and obscure monsters? How much impact had the game on his fantasy of himself as a soldier and warrior?
Are you playing Doom on a pc or console?
PC.
Back to top Go down
Laeda




Posts : 132
Contribution Points : 101281
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-03-21
Location : Europe

Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Doom has been one of the first games I've played (or more like seeing my father playing, I was 6-7 at the time, and always getting killed) when I got a pc in the late 90s and despite it being already years and years old at the time, I remember thinking it was graphically 'sooo realistic' along with other games of the same generation so I guess that's how it looked to everyone else, and to Eric too.

It was also one of the first fps, and I think the first becoming widely famous and the game that got people to know about first person shooters.
I think that's why he got obsessed with that, it was the first game he got to know about that put his thoughts on a screen in an interactive way.

As I remember it, it was just a bunch of killing, or at least most of it. I might be saying bullshit, I have a short memory or I might just have been playing the wrong games, but in the early 90s the plot of videogames wasn't as intricated, clear and developing through the game at it is now, it was more like a background story to give an idea of who you are/what you are doing and I think the first ones with a 'proper story' came out late 90s. So maybe the 'athmosphere' he was describing was taken from the novels and not from the game itself, or it was just his way of perceiving it

_________________
Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage.
Back to top Go down
Scypek




Posts : 56
Contribution Points : 101229
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-03-23
Location : The void between worlds

Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 11:15 am

While Doom has no cutscenes, sophisticated npcs or other explicit story, it definitely has an atmosphere - climatic music, dark corridors, bizarre architecture of hell merging with human scenery... it may sound weird, but the novels actually had more mindless rampage and less atmosphere, or so I heard. Also, in doom you're not just a killing machine with regenerating health. You are pretty fragile (at least on the most popular difficulty level) and have to rely on your agility to survive.

And on the top of that, he could mod doom. It sure was (and is - I'm a doom modder myself Smile ) awesome to take part in creation (sort of) of such a great game.

The last pages (not entries) of his journal are fascinating me - there are sketches that doesn't resemble any avaiable maps, lists of some sprite and texture names (his maps always have some new sounds or graphics, but never many) and even something that looks like a completely new object (would he alter the code? Who knows what the mysterious Realdoom.zip contains...).

_________________
They won't stop until you tame your soul.
Don't tame your soul. Never.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 1:43 am

Doom turns 20:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 1:53 am

gustopoet wrote:
Doom turns 20:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Article by Chris Morris, eh? Niiice. Cool 
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 12:08 pm

InFiNiNcEX5 wrote:


Article by Chris Morris, eh?  Niiice. Cool 

Wow. I didn't even notice that.  bounce
Back to top Go down
Mr_Chagrin




Posts : 57
Contribution Points : 100331
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-04-25
Age : 32
Location : Canada

Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 12:22 pm

Scypek wrote:
While Doom has no cutscenes, sophisticated npcs or other explicit story, it definitely has an atmosphere - climatic music, dark corridors, bizarre architecture of hell merging with human scenery... it may sound weird, but the novels actually had more mindless rampage and less atmosphere, or so I heard. Also, in doom you're not just a killing machine with regenerating health. You are pretty fragile (at least on the most popular difficulty level) and have to rely on your agility to survive.

And on the top of that, he could mod doom. It sure was (and is - I'm a doom modder myself Smile) awesome to take part in creation (sort of) of such a great game.

The last pages (not entries) of his journal are fascinating me - there are sketches that doesn't resemble any avaiable maps, lists of some sprite and texture names (his maps always have some new sounds or graphics, but never many) and even something that looks like a completely new object (would he alter the code? Who knows what the mysterious Realdoom.zip contains...).

I'm sure that it's probably out there somewhere. I guess LE probably has it, or someone. If it was uploaded to the web then someone would have grabbed it in the aftermath of the massacre. Then again if it was out there I think it would have surfaced by now, wishful thinking anyway...
Back to top Go down
tfsa47090
Global Moderator & Top 10 Contributor



Posts : 944
Contribution Points : 100813
Forum Reputation : 91
Join date : 2013-03-18

Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 6:21 pm

I'm not sure how we missed this, but another thread about this subject was created a few days prior to this one in the Documents, evidence, videos, photos, etc. section.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

People reading this thread might want to look at the other one, and vice versa.
Back to top Go down
Mj2beat




Posts : 409
Contribution Points : 94829
Forum Reputation : 24
Join date : 2013-12-20
Age : 29
Location : A dark hole from the universe

Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 7:02 pm

I remember played DOOM 1 and 2 in the early 2000 when I was 5/6 years old and I found it very realistic too and the atmosphere of the game always caught my attention, is the first thing that I remembered when someone mention DOOM.

I found interesting how Eric bought that gun and how any gamer can recognize it. This makes me think that Eric's fantasies about kill, could definitely start with this video game.

_________________
The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Doom and Eric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom and Eric   Doom and Eric Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Doom and Eric
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Eric's Doom Files
» Guy playing Eric's Doom's levels
» Who released Eric's doom wads?
» Interesting Eric Harris and Doom blend
» Eric's wet dream - Columbine recreated in Doom

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: