Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share
 

 Fact Check Cullen's book

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Posts : 2778
Contribution Points : 73421
Forum Reputation : 440
Join date : 2013-03-22

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2018 2:51 pm

*added Columbine by Cullen pdf & audiobook

Enjoy!



_________________
Columbine Master Archive

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slippy123
Top 10 Contributor
slippy123

Posts : 867
Contribution Points : 60528
Forum Reputation : 1150
Join date : 2015-08-25

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2018 2:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
*added Columbine by Cullen pdf & audiobook

Enjoy!



Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Posts : 2778
Contribution Points : 73421
Forum Reputation : 440
Join date : 2013-03-22

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2018 2:53 pm

np anytime

_________________
Columbine Master Archive

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2018 11:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] you're doing gods work son. bless you.
LOL

Chapter 16-
Cullen writes of Mr. DeAngelis' actions when the shooting started, and of Pat Ireland's parents and Dwayne Fuselier and his wife waiting for word on their kids.

He also writes about Ireland's injuries and his rescue. While fact checking what he wrote of Ireland, I found something interesting:
From Cullen's book-  "paramedics cut off patrick’s bloody clothes- everything but his undershorts.” “He was not wearing shoes.”
On pg. 35 of the 11 K- “They cut off all of his clothes except his undershorts.” “He was not wearing shoes.”
Had he changed "undershorts" to something else I probably wouldn't have noticed it, but that's not a term I hear much so it stuck out.
It's not exactly plagiarism, I guess, but he sure didn't change much. I'm guessing if I took the time to compare other witness statements to what he wrote about them, I'd probably find a ton of this.

The rest of the chapter details Ireland's surgeries, how his parent's felt, and SWAT's evacuation of the rest of the school.

Chapter 17-
Discusses what SWAT found in the library and the rescue of Lisa Kreutz (which is a few pitiful sentences). Cullen wrote that Paramedic Troy Laman went into the library with SWAT and it was his job to figure out who was alive and who was not. He did this by looking at their faces and if he couldn't see a face, he touched them.
"Twelve were cold. One was not. Laman touched a girl, felt the warmth, and rolled her over to get a look at her face. Her eyes were open, tears trickling out. Lisa Kreutz was carried down the stairs and rushed to Denver Health Medical Center."

Lisa Kreutz reports things differently, pg. 64- 65 Upon hearing SWAT near the library, "She heard them come in and she called for help. One of the SWAT officers came over to her. This officer told her she was the only one alive in the Library. They did not take her immediately out of the Library and one SWAT officer stayed with her. The next thing she remembers is a paramedic coming in and talking to her about whether she was hurt. The paramedic rolled her onto her shoulder to look at her back and she remembers excruciating pain"

Cullen writes about Kate Battan figuring out the Dylan and Eric were in the system for the van break in and finding the complaint from the Brown's about Eric's death threats to Brooks and how she used this to get search warrants for the Harris and Klebold homes. He also wrote about Sheriff Stone's misinformation-filled press conference. The chapter also talks about the Sanders' family waiting for word.

He writes that police interviewed Robyn's best friend Kelli, and that the night of the attack Robyn asked if Kelli remembered the favor that she (Robyn) had done for Eric and Dylan in November. "Kelli remembered. It had been a big secret. Robyn had told Kelli repeatedly about this big favor she had done for the guys, but she would never divulge what it was."
This is a gross exaggeration.
Kelli actually told police (pg. 677 and 679) "Kelli Brown stated that at this time, Robyn Anderson reminded her that back in December or January, she told Kelli that she had done a favor for Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, but at that time could not say what it was.”
Cullen makes it sound like Robyn brought it up over and over, like she was bragging about it, when in truth they had a single discussion about it.

Chapter 18-
Discusses the parents of the murder victims waiting for word. I don't know how accurately the different people mentioned (the Tomlin's, Misty Bernall, Dan Rohrbough's parents) were portrayed but nothing struck me as ridiculously off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2018 10:55 pm

Chapter 19-
Details the Sander’s and Bernall families waiting for word and the strange things people think of when overwhelmed by tragedy.

Chapter 20-
Details how the Rohrbough’s, Curnow’s and Bernall’s learned of their kids; how everyone was coping and DeAngelis’ speech at Light of the World church the day after.
There is then some pretty shameless ass-kissing of Dwayne Fuselier and Kate Battan (“a brilliant detective”) and the exhaustive, thorough investigation they put together. Rolling Eyes

Chapter 21-
Details of Eric’s childhood are very superficial and most of what Cullen gleans from Eric’s behavior comes from the stories he wrote for his classes.
Cullen claims Eric was “exhibiting telltale signs of a particular breed of killer” even before adolescence.
Apparently Eric’s fascination with fireworks and playing soldier as a boy held some sinister meaning, despite the fact that he was engaged in these activities with several other children. None of whom, I presume, tried to blow up their high schools.
Cullen gives no explanation as to what "breed" Eric was nor how his play as a child was influenced by it.

Chapter 22-
Discusses some of the memorials, the way the churches handled the attack, and the errant rumor that Daniel Rohrbough died while holding the door open for others to escape. Discussed the investigation into who provided the weapons, Robyn’s confession, and the discovery of the bombs and the intended scope of the attack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2019 11:19 pm

Back on the horse...

Chapter 23-
Summarizes Dylan's childhood.
He calls Judy Brown "the neighborhood mom". I've always gotten the feeling that Judy was not well liked so while I don't have proof this is wrong, it doesn't seem right.

He writes that Sue Klebold is Jewish. Technically, her mother was NOT Jewish and her father was. From what I understand about Judaism, if your mother is not Jewish than neither are you UNLESS you actively convert to Judaism. Less technically, Sue may be considered 1/2 Jewish and appears to participate in some Jewish practices but she, Tom, and the kids also went to a Lutheran church.

Chapter 24-  
He writes of Dylan's funeral service and how the attendees discussed what happened and the questions they had.
Again he writes that Sue is Jewish. "Dylan was half Jewish". Since only Sue's Dad was Jewish, she's either not truly Jewish (if we're being technical) or she's half Jewish. This makes Dylan either not Jewish or 1/4 Jewish.

Chapter 25
He writes that Dylan, Brooks, and Eric went to the football games as freshman. "Eric was practically a celebrity because his brother was a starter on the varsity team."
Of course, this is a stand alone sentence- he offers no examples of Eric's "celebrity".

He mentions the incident with Tiffany Typher when Eric faked his suicide.
Cullen says "But it wierded her out. She refused to date him again."
Below is a news article written THREE DAYS after the murders which CLEARLY states that Typher had ALREADY BROKEN UP with Eric and that she thought, "He was doing that so maybe I'd come back to him and say I'm sorry."
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cullen mentions Eric's "I Am" poem written for a class in 1995. I am posting the poem here and Cullen's comments. I feel that he is really trying to influence the perception of reader, knowing that most people will probably never read the poem and therefore will assume his interpretation of it illustrates the full story.
IMO, the poem is not nearly as narcissistic as he tries to make out.

I AM
I am a nice guy who hates when people open their pop cans just a little
I wonder what my soccer team will be like in the Spring
I hear myself turning on the ignition of an F-15
I see myself flying above everyone else
I want to fly
I am a nice guy who hates when people open their pop cans just a little

I pretend I am walking on the moon
I feel that I will get straight A's again
I touch the sky
I worry that I will have a fire in my house
I cry when I see or hear a dog die
I am a nice guy who hates when people open their pop cans just a little

I understand how to play soccer
I say that a sport is something that you have to break a sweat in
I dream that I am the only person on Earth
I try to be as nice as I can
I hope there isn't another OJ trial
I am a nice guy who hates when people open their pop cans just a little.


Cullen's interpretation of Eric's poem-
"His selfportrait informed the reader five times in eighteen lines how nice he was." He writes that he ended each stanza with the pop can line.
"He described himself flying above all the rest of us, bragged about his straight A's, and demonstrated his emotional depth:'I cry when I see or hear a a dog die.'"
He fails to mention Eric wrote about flying above us because he wanted to pilot an F-15. Cullen's implication is clearly that Eric is saying he's better than "us". And apparently knowing you will get good grades is considered bragging.

Cullen also writes:
"He kept much of the work he produced in high school. Apparently, he was proud of it. 'I dream I am the last person on Earth,' he wrote in 'I AM'." Eric was always a dreamer, but he liked them ugly:bleak and morose, yet boring as hell. He saw beauty in the void. Eric dreamed of a world where nothing ever happened. A world where the rest of us had been removed."

Guess it's not ok to be proud of the things you do. I must be a psychopathic narcissist because I still have stuff I did in college. And I didn't throw out my high school stuff until I moved out of my mom's house.

Cullen then goes on to trash Eric's other stories, saying they were bleak and gloomy, and nothing ever happened. He writes that Eric liked it best when nothing happened and nobody's ever around. I'm sure you've all read Eric's writings- this is a gross exaggeration of them.

He writes of Eric and Dylan making friends with Zach. "They cruised the mall to pick up chicks. Eric did the talking. Zack and Dylan hung back and followed his lead."
Eric the ladies' man again. How come of the 3, Zack was the only non-virgin?

He writes that Zack and Dylan grew close. "They were snarky, clever, and seething with teenage anger, but way too timid to show it. Dylan and Zach needed Eric. Someone had to do the talking. Eric needed an audience; he also craved excitement. He was cool and detached, tough to rattle. Nothing seemed to faze him."
Untrue. There are tons of examples of both Dylan and Zach getting into plenty of trouble without any association with Eric at all. Stealing locker combos was Zach's idea and he left the threatening note in Devon's ex-BF's locker, Dylan scratched up a kid's locker all by himself. Zach was a super angry kid and acted out in school a lot, just like Dylan. Several people say this in the 11k. Eric wasn't openly disrespectful to the teachers. And Dylan and Zach were tight- Eric was the third wheel in that relationship; there is no way that he called the shots.
Also, how can he write in one paragraph that Eric preferred it when "nothing happened" but then in the next paragraph say that he "craved excitement." Those things seem mutually exclusive.

Cullen again cites one of Eric's school assignments, this time the one comparing himself to the god, Zeus.
Cullen writes, "He hailed both of them as great leaders, finding no fault in their pettiness or malice by identifying common inclinations. 'Zeus and I also get angry easily and punish people in unusual ways," he wrote."
Again, I think he picks out a fragment of Eric's writing because he knows most people are not going to track down and read the thing themselves.
So he conveniently leaves out that Eric also said that he and Zeus "try to solve things in a mature, non-violent manner", that he is "always asking questions or double checking myself to be sure I completely understand something so I am in control" like Zeus, and "we are both kind to other animals or people."

His whole set up is so obvious. Get people to think Eric is super-confident, full of himself, thinks he's better than everyone. Get people to think Eric craves excitement and is cruel to people. Get people to think Eric is purposely writing about his "emotional depth" as a cover for not actually having emotional depth.
He's digging through a 9th/10 graders creative writing assignments and making up the interpersonal dynamic between Dylan, Zach, and Eric in order to sell the reader on all of the psychopath traits for when he presents them later in the book.


Last edited by thelmar on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Pixie13



Posts : 175
Contribution Points : 13135
Forum Reputation : 230
Join date : 2018-09-08

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2019 3:34 am

I haven't read the book but from what you have posted it seems Cullen's book is shaped by his confirmation bias. He formed a theory about Dylan and Eric, then looked for the evidence that it was so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator, Discord Admin & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Posts : 5682
Contribution Points : 126847
Forum Reputation : 770
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2019 7:38 am

That is something we've talked about about before- Zach's anger, he was in trouble a lot and had a lot of anger too. I think his senior quote was "I hate this school" Even when he had a girlfriend Zach was acting out... I doubt Cullen talked to Zach, I think most of the things he said after were pretty nasty towards eric and dylan... which I mean you can't really blame them. At that time the only 2 people who really admitted friendship with them were Nate and Devon. Zach had some sort of line that he would never cross, he had maybe "normal" teenage anger and Eric and Dylan had something else..

I always looked at Zach as more of Dylans friend and Chris, the other super angry one was closer to Eric. Chris calmed down a lot. I actually don't remember reading his 11k interview... I wouldn't mind revisiting it. Chris and Zach acted out far more than eric and dylan did.

I imagine when they started planning it, they probably realized if they didn't keep on the straight and narrow they may be caught. So I think most of the real planning probably started after the van break in.

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2019 8:45 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I haven't read the book but from what you have posted it seems Cullen's book is shaped by his confirmation bias. He formed a theory about Dylan and Eric, then looked for the evidence that it was so.

Bingo! Agree with this 100%.

Also, I neglected to mention for Chapter 25 when he talks of Zach being "timid". In her book, Sue Klebold writes that Zach was "friendly and outgoing" and that she was happy about Dylan and Zach's friendship "because of how gregarious and outgoing Zach was. He didn't mind being the center of attention, which drew Dylan out a little."
I think Sue would know a bit more about Zach's personality and his interactions with E & D than Cullen would.


Chapter 26-
Most of this chapter deals with Dave Sanders death and the poor police response. All of it accurate from what I can tell.

Chapter 27-
"Most of the girls who knew Eric described him as cute. he was aware of the consensus but didn't quite accept it."
I will try to find the 11k page number for it, but Cullen based this statement on Eric's response to one of those questionaires where under 'Looks' he wrote "skinny but handsome, some say."
Apparently in Cullen's mind this translates to "most" girls finding Eric cute. I've read all reports by everybody who knew Eric, male and female, "cute" was not a descriptor I found.

He also talked about how Eric had begun to change his look in his sophomore year. "older kids and bigger guys razzed him sometimes, but nothing exceptional. And he was talking back now and provoking confrontations. He'd shaken off his silence along with the preppy uniform."
This isn't true either. There were lots of kids who made fun of his clothing; I think Cale Kennedy did it almost daily, among others. And people who knew or had run-ins with Eric don't report Eric becoming very confrontational until the last year of his life- probably the time during which they had begun planning for NBK.

Cullen writes,
"Dylan remained quiet right up until the end. He wasn't much for mouthing off, except in rare sudden bursts that freaked everyone out a little."
Not true. He and Zach frequently mouthed off and were disruptive in French class and even got kicked out for a while because of it (pg. 5036, pg. 7214).
Note- Eric didn't take French, yet Dylan and Zach were causing trouble in his absence. But Dave? I thought Eric was the ringleader for the two quiet sadsacks?

He also wrote that Dylan "followed Eric's fashion lead but a less intense version so he took a lot less ribbing."
Apparently Dave is unaware that Dylan wore his trench coat much more frequently than Eric. Standing 6'3" is going to make him stick out, standing 6'3" and wearing a full length trench coat is definitely going to attract attention.
Also, I think we've already established that it was Eric who had copied Dylan's look initially, not the other way around.

Cullen writes,
"Eric and Dylan had very active social calenders, and far more friends than the average adolescent."
Um, no. They did do things and go places with a small core group of friends, but far more friends than average? No. More importantly, neither of them felt like they had friends- Eric really only felt close to Dylan and Dylan only felt close to Eric, Zach, and Nate. This is another example of Cullen's confirmation bias. If one of them writes something that supports the point he wants to make, he waves it around like a flag. But if something in their writing refutes his point, he totally ignores it, and since most people haven't read the 11k or their journals, Cullen's failure to mention it implies to the average reader that no such statements exist.

Now get this, Cullen, writing about Eric Dutro, says:
"He had a hard time at school. Kids at Columbine picked on him. Kids would ridicule him relentlessly, calling him a freak and a faggot. Eventually he fought back the only way he knew how: by upping the ante. If they were gong to call him a freak, he was going to give them one hell of a freak show. The trench coat made a nice little addition to his freakdrobe."
Sooooo, let me get this straight. Cullen admits that Eric Dutro, a member of the TCM, was bullied relentlessly and called freak and faggot. Yet when it's claimed that E & D were subjected to the same thing, Cullen is sure that never really happened? Dutro was only an acquaintance of E & D but they ran in the same circle of friends, were into the same kinds of things, dressed similarly. And we're to accept that Dutro was bullied and E + D were not?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rebbie556
Top Contributor


Posts : 459
Contribution Points : 45176
Forum Reputation : 175
Join date : 2017-01-30

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2019 3:49 am

Cute/adorable ? Eric would probably hate that word he would be like: "I'm not cute /adorable I'm not a freaking stuffed animal!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2019 8:08 am

Chapter 28-
Chapter 28-
Summarizes how the media blew things out of proportion with regard to the TCM. Cullen makes the claim that after listening to the media, the majority of the students became brainwashed into thinking the TCM was responsible. His claim is that instead of the media getting TCM info from students, the students were getting TCM info from the media.

This is inaccurate. A lot of the police statements were taken weeks, even months after the attack. Despite Cullen’s claim, there are very few students who thought the TCM, as a group, was involved. A lot of kids weren’t even aware the TCM existed at Columbine, let alone believed that they staged the shooting. Of those who were familiar with the group, most couldn’t say who was in it but they didn’t feel like they had anything to do with the massacre. The TCM is mentioned in a large number of interviews only because the police brought them up as one of their standard questions; it’s not like all these kids were just randomly talking about the group.

He goes on to say that within 2 days of the attack, everyone’s shock had turned to anger and because they were angry they started making up things about Eric and Dylan and the TCM like that they were outcasts and “fags”. But according to Cullen, this wasn’t true.
So, despite the fact that tons of witnesses who ACTUALLY knew E & D say they were called fags and treated as outcasts, and despite the fact that members of the TCM CONFIRM that this ACTUALLY HAPPENED to them personally, we are supposed to believe Cullen that these rumors started only AFTER the massacre and that this stuff didn’t really happen.

Cullen says that the reason Mr. DeAngelis never saw any bullying was because the students loved him so much that they were on their best behavior around him.
Excuse me, let me finish gagging. Ok, I’m done. I think he’s forgotten that DeAngelis was the PRINCIPAL and in high school, everybody knows you have to be on your best behavior when the PRINCIPAL is around, whether you like the guy or not. For God’s sake, the principal is supposed to be the ultimate disciplinarian in a school, who in their right mind is going to shove a kid into a locker when he’s standing right behind you?!

Cullen goes on to say that the bullying “myth” about Columbine took off because of the media accounts. Then he discusses that with regard to the culture at Columbine “a tremendous amount of data was gathered in those first few days, while students were naïve, before any developed an agenda.“the data is there.”
His implication is that it was found that bullying was not a real issue at Columbine. Not surprisingly, he doesn’t supply any of that “data” for the reader that supports his claim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
AmeliaDK.

AmeliaDK.

Posts : 42
Contribution Points : 9565
Forum Reputation : 0
Join date : 2018-11-07
Age : 25
Location : Brazil

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2019 9:24 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Chapter 28-
Chapter 28-
Summarizes how the media blew things out of proportion with regard to the TCM. Cullen makes the claim that after listening to the media, the majority of the students became brainwashed into thinking the TCM was responsible. His claim is that instead of the media getting TCM info from students, the students were getting TCM info from the media.

This is inaccurate.  A lot of the police statements were taken weeks, even months after the attack. Despite Cullen’s claim, there are very few students who thought the TCM, as a group, was involved. A lot of kids weren’t even aware the TCM existed at Columbine, let alone believed that they staged the shooting. Of those who were familiar with the group, most couldn’t say who was in it but they didn’t feel like they had anything to do with the massacre. The TCM is mentioned in a large number of interviews only because the police brought them up as one of their standard questions; it’s not like all these kids were just randomly talking about the group.

He goes on to say that within 2 days of the attack, everyone’s shock had turned to anger and because they were angry they started making up things about Eric and Dylan and the TCM like that they were outcasts and “fags”. But according to Cullen, this wasn’t true.
So, despite the fact that tons of witnesses who ACTUALLY knew E & D say they were called fags and treated as outcasts, and despite the fact that members of the TCM CONFIRM that this ACTUALLY HAPPENED to them personally, we are supposed to believe Cullen that these rumors started only AFTER the massacre and that this stuff didn’t really happen.

Cullen says that the reason Mr. DeAngelis never saw any bullying was because the students loved him so much that they were on their best behavior around him.
Excuse me, let me finish gagging. Ok, I’m done. I think he’s forgotten that DeAngelis was the PRINCIPAL and in high school, everybody knows you have to be on your best behavior when the PRINCIPAL is around, whether you like the guy or not. For God’s sake, the principal is supposed to be the ultimate disciplinarian in a school, who in their right mind is going to shove a kid into a locker when he’s standing right behind you?!

Cullen goes on to say that the bullying “myth” about Columbine took off because of the media accounts. Then he discusses that with regard to the culture at Columbine “a tremendous amount of data was gathered in those first few days, while students were naïve, before any developed an agenda.“the data is there.”
His implication is that it was found that bullying was not a real issue at Columbine. Not surprisingly, he doesn’t supply any of that “data” for the reader that supports his claim.

You're doing an amazing job with that. Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 3:36 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:


You're doing an amazing job with that.  

Thanks!

Chapter 29-
In this chapter, he discusses the Rebel Clan missions. The entire chapter is predicated on showing that Eric’s psychopathy is building, that he’s starting to take action on all of his violent urges. “His extinction fantasies progressed steadily, but reality held firm and was completely separate from his fantasy life. Then one day, midway through sophomore year, Eric began to take action.” “They would meet at Eric’s house mostly, sneak out after midnight, and vandalize houses of kids he didn’t like. Eric chose the targets, of course.”
It must have been a great conversation Cullen had with Eric, Dylan, and Zach to know that the missions were all Eric’s idea and the boys targeted the people Eric wanted to target.
How can he, in good conscious, make statements like this? He has no idea who thought up the missions and the only one we know for sure that Eric personally targeted was Brooks. Dylan made fun of Nick Baumgart, too, according to Brooks. And Eric mentions that they got revenge on kids who shot Dylan’s bike. As for the rest, we don’t know who was on the receiving end of the Rebel Clan missions, so how in the hell can Dave know they were only people Eric didn't like. We all know Dylan and Zach were pretty vindictive people, I'm sure they singled out a few kids they wanted revenge on.

Next is an example of how grossly Cullen distorts Eric's school assignment writings to paint him as a nutcase. Please bear with me- I think you'll agree just how utterly ridiculous this is.
Cullen writes,
"he had just gobbled up John Steinbeck's The Pastures of Heaven, which includes a fable about the idiot savant Tularecito. The young boy had extraordinary gifts that allowed him to see a world his peers couldn't even imagine- exactly how Eric was coming to view himself, though without Tularecito's mental shortcomings. Tularecito's peers failed to see his gifts and treated him badly. Tularecito struck back violently, killing one of his antagonists. He was imprisoned for life in an insane asylum. Eric did not approve. 'Tularecito did not deserve to be put away,' he wrote in a book report. 'He just needed to be taught to control his anger. Society needs to treat extremely talented people like Tularecito much better.' All they needed was more time, Eric argued- gifted misfits could be taught what was right and wrong, what was acceptable to society. 'Love and care is the only way,' he said.
Love and care. Eric wrote this at the very moment he started moving against his peers. Sometimes he attacked their houses to retaliate for perceived slights, but most often it was for the offense of inferiority. "

 
Here is the actual story of Tularecito. It's only 12 pages, I encourage you to read it so that you can see how Cullen twisted the essence of the story to fit his agenda.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
A quick summary-
Tularecito was found in the brush as a baby and was taken in by members of the village. His name means Little Frog, because of how grotesquely deformed his body was. He was severely mentally challenged but had a talent for drawing, sculpting animals. If people accidentally broke one of his sculptures he flew into a rage and attacked them. He grew very strong very young and was doing man's work at the age of 5, but he was incapable of learning. Nevertheless, at the age of 11 he was forced into school by village officials.
The teacher recognized that he could draw so she let him decorate the blackboard after school. The following day, they tried to erase the board for lessons. Tularecito didn't understand and became violent, fighting the entire class and winning. The teacher was afraid of him and eventually quit. A new teacher gave him a pad to draw on and he did this instead of listening to lessons. One day, the teacher was talking about fairy tales and gnomes. Tularecito became convinced that the gnomes were his people and that if he dug into the ground, he could be reunited with them. The teacher thought this was harmless and encouraged his belief. He began digging deep holes and tunnels  at night, callling for his people, calling for his father. A local man, not knowing who dug the tunnels or why, filled them in. Initially Tularecito thought the gnomes had done it. So he dug more tunnels and stayed around the next morning hoping to see them come out of the holes. But the next day, the man came by again and began to push the dirt back in. Tularecito became enraged and attacked him. He hurt him badly but did not kill him, and the villagers put him in an asylum.

First of all, it was not a book report. It was literally a single paragraph written in answer to the question "Do you think Tularecito deserved to be put into the insane asylum?" This is a common discussion question for students about this particular story.
Second, the villagers did not fail to recognize Tularecito's gifts nor did they treat him badly. In fact, the teachers both recognized his talent and encouraged it, the first teacher just regretted it.
Third, Tularecito did not strike back at people for treating him badly or not for recognizing his talent. He was a mentally handicapped individual incapable of understanding how people could accidentally drop one of his statues or that they would need the blackboard for school lessons.
Fourth, he did not kill the man and the man was not one of his antagonists. Tularecito thought that the man was filling up the holes from which his family, the gnomes, were going to welcome him back home.

Who, but us, would take the time to actually read the story and realize that it has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING ON ERIC HARRIS' PERSONALITY!

There's more to this chapter, I'll continue after dinner...

Edited to add: the rest of the chapter talks about the snowball incident with Brooks Brown. Most of it seems factual but Cullen makes statements from the point of view of Wayne Harris that he couldn't possibly know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Chapter 30-
Discusses Jeffco using the info the Brown's had brought to them the previous year in order to get the search warrant for the Harris house, then denying that they had known Eric was potentially violent. Also discusses the issues the Brown's had with Jeffco accusing Brooks of being a co-conspirator.
He discusses Jeffco tracking down the link between E& D and Mark Manes and Phil Duran; not very detailed but everything accurate.
It also talks about Fuselier trying to figure out why they did it.

Chapter 31-
This chapter discusses Dylan and his journals.
Cullen writes that Dylan "was a profoundly religious young man. His family was not active in any congregation, yet Dylan's belief was unwavering."
Dylan did write about things like good and evil, cleansing, an afterlife, etc. but to take from that that he was profoundly religious is a huge overreach. Read Rachel Scott's journals- THAT is profoundly religious.

Cullen writes, "Dylan's anger would flare, then fizzle quickly into self-disgust, Dylan wasn't planning to kill anyone, except, God willing, himself." Cullen intimates that it was his profound faith that prevented Dylan from killing himself. "But suicide posed a problem. Dylan believed in a literal heaven and hell. He would be a believer right up until the end. When he murdered several people he knew there would be consequences."
Soooo, he couldn't kill himself because it was a sin but he got around that by murdering people and then killing himself? Huh?
I especially like how he doesn't tell Mr. Average Reader, who probably hasn't read Dylan's journals, just how many times Dylan mentioned killing someone or going on a killing spree. Yet, when he writes about Eric's journals, you'd think that was the only thing in them!

Cullen writes that Fuselier believed Eric started his journal knowing NBK was endgame. Eric's journal was "not about self-discovery but self-lionization. Dylan was just trying to grapple with existence."
To me, this indicates that Fuselier recognized that Eric was writing for an audience. My question is, if he recognized that, wouldn't he then know that maybe this isn't exactly the window into Eric's soul that he needed to find all the answers? It's kind of like- yeah, I know that he's writing this to make himself look a certain way but I'm going to take most of it at face value anyway because all this angry stuff helps me explain why he did the bad thing. Oh, but I'm not going to factor in any of the stuff that shows any other kinds of feelings, I'm going to assume THAT is the made up stuff because it doesn't fit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Chapter 32-
Discusses the Cassie martyrdom stuff. Also discusses how most of the Evangelicals used the tragedy almost as a recruiting format. No major errors as far as I can tell.

Chapter 33-
In this chapter he tries again to show how religious Dylan was just because he often spoke of good vs evil, etc.
He also says "Dylan took to referring to humans as zombies. That was a rare similarity to Eric. But pitiful as we zombies were, Dylan didn't want to harm us."
He neglects to mention that Dylan mentioned getting a gun and going on a killing spree, and talked about NBK with his crush. The journal entries he sites are from 1997 to early 1998, so I'll overlook him not mentioning all the things Dylan said about "zombie fags being forever suffering and mournful", as this was written later.

He mentions that Fuselier believed Eric's You Know What I Hate posts showed his contempt for everyone as inferior.
He talks about Eric making bombs and while he acknowledges Dylan was around then and would detonate the bombs with Eric, he does not indicate that Dylan is anything more than an innocent bystander.
Chris Morris said that it was Dylan, NOT Eric, who brought a large pipe bomb into Blackjack one day. In his journal Dylan talks about blowing himself up with one of his pipebombs ("Atlanta") strapped to his neck. Somehow it's obvious to everyone but Cullen that Dylan was also participating in the bomb making way before NBK.

Cullen claims that the "missions" suddenly ended when Zach and Devon began dating.
That's the only time I've seen that claim. Anyone know if this is accurate? I always assumed they just fizzled out as stuff like that usually does.

Cullen excuses Dylan's threat against Devon with "Who he wouldn't mind killing? Dylan tossed out the comment in passing and presumably it was just a figure of speech. Presumably. But he had verbalized the idea- a big step."
Now let's imagine what he'd say if Eric wrote the same thing...

He discussed how Fuselier went about classifying Dylan's mental illness. He was a classic depressive but they don't usually hurt others. He then expanded that a "tiny number" of depressives will make a single tormentor pay for their hurt; "a few lash out into a wider circle" with specific targets, and "the rarest of these angry depressives... want to lash out randomly and show us all, hurt us back and make sure we feel it. This is the gunman who opens fire on a random crowd." But Fuselier concluded that Dylan didn't fit any of these things because he "was not a man of action. He was conscripted by a boy who was."
Again, they ignore how Dylan wrote of "going on my killing spree against anyone I want" or going NBK with his crush. If he had to be drafted into doing this by Eric, why was he writing about doing it alone or with a girl well before he and Eric ever began making plans for the attack?

Chapter 34-
It discusses Patrick Ireland's recovery. I don't know this information so can say whether it is accurate.
It also discusses the controversy with the 15 crosses, which is accurate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
EthanEmerson

EthanEmerson

Posts : 211
Contribution Points : 29364
Forum Reputation : 175
Join date : 2016-11-30

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2019 8:58 pm

I have a minor tidbit of info to share about Eric's poem that explains why he used the adjectives he did, and why he ended each stanza with the pop can line.

My high school English class had the same assignment freshman year (1995). Someone (don't remember who) wrote a poem titled I AM, and we read it in class. The assignment was to write our own I AM poem, using the original as a template.

I am a (blank) who (blank)
I wonder (blank)
I hear (blank)
I see (blank)
I want (blank)

Pretend, feel, touch, worry, cry, understand, say, dream, try, hope... (blank)

All of those beginnings to the lines were part of the original poem. Students had to create their own lines for each.

Eric didn't write about crying when he hears or sees a dog die because he was trying to make people think he was sensitive. He didn't come up with the "crying" part. He had to come up with something that would fit the existing start of "I cry when."

Since he was a dog person, that was probably the first thing that came to his mind.

Did anyone else have that assignment? I recognized it right away when I read it in the reports. Thought it was interesting that it wasn't just an assignment for my class!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EthanEmerson

EthanEmerson

Posts : 211
Contribution Points : 29364
Forum Reputation : 175
Join date : 2016-11-30

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Found a template here. Apparently it's a popular thing:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Maybe there was no "original" poem and all it is, is a prompt. Either way, that's a poem assignment many of us 90s kids got in high school...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hvernon
Top Contributor
hvernon

Posts : 755
Contribution Points : 41220
Forum Reputation : 999
Join date : 2016-11-22
Location : Missouri

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2019 11:04 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I have a minor tidbit of info to share about Eric's poem that explains why he used the adjectives he did, and why he ended each stanza with the pop can line.

My high school English class had the same assignment freshman year (1995). Someone (don't remember who) wrote a poem titled I AM, and we read it in class. The assignment was to write our own I AM poem, using the original as a template.

I am a (blank) who (blank)
I wonder (blank)
I hear (blank)
I see (blank)
I want (blank)

Pretend, feel, touch, worry, cry, understand, say, dream, try, hope... (blank)

All of those beginnings to the lines were part of the original poem. Students had to create their own lines for each.

Eric didn't write about crying when he hears or sees a dog die because he was trying to make people think he was sensitive. He didn't come up with the "crying" part. He had to come up with something that would fit the existing start of "I cry when."

Since he was a dog person, that was probably the first thing that came to his mind.

Did anyone else have that assignment? I recognized it right away when I read it in the reports. Thought it was interesting that it wasn't just an assignment for my class!

I totally had to do the same assignment when I was in school!

_________________


"...we will be free, to explore the vast wonders of the stars. To cascade down everlong waterfalls, & thru the warmest seas of pure happiness... no limits... no limits. Nothing will stop us. "


-Dylan Klebold
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator, Discord Admin & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Posts : 5682
Contribution Points : 126847
Forum Reputation : 770
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2019 11:05 pm

It sounds like something I would’ve done in school too!

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2019 9:46 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Found a template here. Apparently it's a popular thing:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Maybe there was no "original" poem and all it is, is a prompt. Either way, that's a poem assignment many of us 90s kids got in high school...

Excellent find!

Chapter 35-
In this chapter he's trying to demonstrate Eric's progression into crime- the first sentence is "Eric was a thief now". He brings up the theft of the Rent-A-Fence signs Eric wrote about in one of the Mission logs. But the way Cullen presents it, Eric stole the signs. Zach and Dylan must have been innocent bystanders.
He says this gave Eric the thirst and he wanted more and then talks about hacking the locker combos. Again he presents it as though this was Eric's idea despite the fact that they specifically targeted Devon's ex-boyfriend because Zach hated him. Cullen doesn't mention that part.

He talks about how they used NBK to reference their attack. "It also captured the flavor of Eric's egotistical, empathy-free attitude, but it bore no relation to Dylan's psyche. It certainly wasn't where he saw his life headed, at least not until the final months."
Complete and utter BS. Dylan wrote of going on his own killing spree on 11/3/97. He was the first to write of NBK, using that term specifically, on 2/2/98, saying he would do it with his crush, NOT Eric. This was a full two months before Eric wrote of going NBK WITH Dylan. So, tell me Dave, how do you know the massacre was not Dylan's idea? He coined the phrase for it, he mentioned it first, he spoke of doing it with somebody other than Eric. We're supposed to believe that Eric magically thought up the same thing with the same code name independently of Dylan months later?!

Lol!
Cullen talks of Dylan getting a new room after Byron was kicked out and how Dylan decorated it. "posters of baseball heroes and rock bands: Lou Gehrig, Roger Clemens, and Nine Inch Nails. Also, some street signs and a woman in a leopard bikini."
Also some street signs- yet no commentary on how Dylan was a thief now, no discussion of his escalating criminal behavior, his need for stimulation and excitement. Just "also some street signs" like he bought these in the store like the good, devoutly religious boy he was. Evil or Very Mad

Cullen's second time excusing Dylan's mention of murder-
He says Dylan wrote of suicide "Then he weighed the other option: he named a friend and said he 'will get me a gun, ill go on my killing spree against anyone I want.' It was Dylan's second allusion to murder. The first had been ambiguous; this was overt. And now it was a spree. He changed the subject immediately. That was unusual. As a rule, Dylan hammered ideas relentlessly. He would drill for two straight pages on the 'Everlasting Struggle' or his destiny as a seeker. Murder was different. For the second time, he tossed in a single line, at the peak of despair, and promptly returned to his own destruction. The idea was germinating, a year and a half out. Dylan appeared to be exploring a spree. With Eric? Probably. But the details of this critical moment are lost."

First, there is nothing ambiguous about saying he wouldn't mind killing Devon. Second, even when Dylan writes that SOMEONE ELSE will get him a gun and he will go on "MY killing spree against ANYONE I WANT", somehow from this Cullen gets that Dylan was thinking of a killing spree with Eric.
Eric, of course, "was building bigger bombs. Coincidence? Unlikely. Eric's thinking had been evolving steadily in one direction since freshman year."

He mentions the paper Eric wrote on school shooters in 1997. Eric handed in this paper on 12/10/97 and in it mentions a shooting a few weeks before. Although he said it was in TX, the reference to a kid shooting into a prayer circle and killing 3 has to be Michael Carneal in KY. This shooting occurred on 12/1/97, just 9 days before Eric handed in his paper. It was a huge deal, all over the news at the time. Very major current event and I'd bet Eric was not the only one who wrote of it as a class assignment.
I very much suspect, but have no way of proving, that the majority of the topics that Eric wrote about (like the I AM poem and the Tularecito prompt question) were provided to the students as part of the course. Like, here are current event topics X, Y, or Z, choose one and write about it. I do not believe that he chose this topic solely on his own. Also, later, when he wrote about the Brady Bill and gun control laws. I believe this was also up for discussion in some class because Daniel Mauser also brought up the very same points to his dad shortly before his death. I don't believe that was a coincidence, I believe it's something they were discussing at school.
In hindsight it all seems prophetic, like look what the school shooter wrote about, he's been planning this all along. But I think a lot of it was just coincidence.

This chapter also includes the lies that he met Brenda Parker and they were dating. And that Dylan hung out with them sometimes but the poor sadsack was "too shy to speak."

He talks about Eric and Dylan getting into more trouble at school, the locker incident, etc. When describing the van break-in he wrote "Eric took guard duty and gave Dylan the dirty work" and then he says that Dylan kept going back to get more stuff from the van but "Eric had grown wary. 'That's enough!' he ordered, 'Let's go.'" He also said that Eric claimed it was Dylan's idea to break into the van and told police that "Dylan kept pestering him and eventually wore him down."
Funny, I didn't know that Cullen was with them that night to know that Eric was bossing Dylan around that way.
Also, Eric did say the break in was Dylan's idea (which I actually believe because, of the two, Dylan was definitely the impetuous one). But he absolutely never said or even implied in any way that Dylan pestered and pressured him to do it. He said Dylan brought it up, he said no, but after about 5 minutes he decided to do it.
Presenting it any other way is a complete lie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rebbie556
Top Contributor


Posts : 459
Contribution Points : 45176
Forum Reputation : 175
Join date : 2017-01-30

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2019 2:19 pm

I think Dylan wasn't really happy about going nbk with Eric as he stated: "gawd with Eric" Dylan knew how Eric was weak and all he had no other choice.
He originally planned nbk with female
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2019 4:02 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I think Dylan wasn't really happy about going nbk with Eric as he stated: "gawd with Eric"  Dylan knew how Eric was weak and all  he had no other choice.
He originally planned nbk with female

I see this interpretation a lot and it always interests me. What Dylan said was "Im stuck in humanity. maybe going "NBK" (gawd) w. eric is the way to break free."
The "gawd" comes directly after NBK, which I interpret as him saying Oh my god, I can't believe I'm considering murdering people.
The way that it is written, I have never thought that "gawd" was commentary on Eric.

I agree that he would have preferred doing the attack Mickey and Mallory style with his halcyon girl. Eric was a second choice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Posts : 3296
Contribution Points : 55966
Forum Reputation : 1450
Join date : 2017-09-04

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2019 5:16 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I think Dylan wasn't really happy about going nbk with Eric as he stated: "gawd with Eric"  Dylan knew how Eric was weak and all  he had no other choice.
He originally planned nbk with female

I see this interpretation a lot and it always interests me. What Dylan said was "Im stuck in humanity. maybe going "NBK" (gawd) w. eric is the way to break free."
The "gawd" comes directly after NBK, which I interpret as him saying Oh my god, I can't believe I'm considering murdering people.
The way that it is written, I have never thought that "gawd" was commentary on Eric.

I agree that he would have preferred doing the attack Mickey and Mallory style with his halcyon girl. Eric was a second choice.

I've always felt that the answer was a simple one: Dylan was embarrassed that the massacre was still being called NBK even though it didn't resemble the film at all.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2019 10:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I've always felt that the answer was a simple one: Dylan was embarrassed that the massacre was still being called NBK even though it didn't resemble the film at all.

I've never seen this interpretation before; not something I would have ever considered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Posts : 3296
Contribution Points : 55966
Forum Reputation : 1450
Join date : 2017-09-04

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2019 11:01 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I've always felt that the answer was a simple one: Dylan was embarrassed that the massacre was still being called NBK even though it didn't resemble the film at all.

I've never seen this interpretation before; not something I would have ever considered.

Well hey, it's what I'm here for. Smile

I just always felt that Dylan sticking "gawd" in there was a sort of text based way of rolling his eyes. Notice how the first time he mentions "going NBK" it's with a girl, and doesn't have any quotation marks surrounding it. But when he talks about doing a killing spree with Eric, the initials NBK are put under quotation marks. That's where I got the impression it was more embarrassment that the code-name hadn't been changed.

_________________
"My guns are the only things that haven't stabbed me in the back."
-Kip Kinkel
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 5:29 pm

Chapter 36-
The beginning of the chapter details police looking for accomplices and how they went about ruling people out. Most of it seems ok to me.
The one question I have is his statement about Robert Perry, after hearing about the shooting, Perry "stumbled out onto the porch, and cried." And that a week later a neighbor confirmed that they saw Perry on the porch.
This isn't in Perry's police statement and I don't recall a neighbor providing this kind of alibi for Perry anywhere in the 11k. Where is this information coming from?

He mentions the notes between Kristi and Eric and how Eric said Dan Lab could get off of his hit list if he let him return the punch in the face.
"Dr. Fuselier was not surprised by the notes. Very cold- blooded. Any kid could get in a fight. Dan had gotten really angry, and in the heat of a fist fight had clocked Eric. Eric was planning his punch. He wanted Dan to stand there defenseless and let him do it. Complete power over the kid. That's what Eric craved."
Oh, brother. How about Eric was humiliated by the punch (and who the hell wouldn't be?) and he wanted revenge? Fuselier's interpretation is a ridiculous overreach IMO.

He mentions the media going to town thinking that the attack was triggered by Eric's rejection by the Marines because he was on Luvox and how, of course, this wasn't really a trigger at all.
The main thing I raise my eyebrows at is"
"Luvox added an extra wrinkle, as it functioned as an anger suppressant."
No, just... no. Not how the drug works, not what it's used for. This guy's a journalist?

He writes of what the Klebold's told police.
"Dylan had a handful of tight buddies, his parents said. Zack and Nate, and of course, Eric, who was definitely closest."
ABSOLUTELY FALSE. To this day, Sue believes that Nate was Dylan's closest friend. She has ALWAYS said this.

He writes of their group of friends. "Eric was the quietest of the group. Tom and Sue never felt they knew what was going on in that head."
I vaguely recall Sue saying that she didn't feel that she knew Eric as well as Nate because he didn't spend as much time at their house. But I never heard her say they didn't know what was going on in his head. The main reason I take exception to the phrasing of this is that it is again trying to imply Eric's deceptive, cold nature. That no one could know him because he was always hiding something. The Klebold's just didn't know him that well, period. They were never trying to or prevented from getting into his head.

Cullen writes, "When the conspiracy evaporated, it left a dangerous vacuum. Dr. Fuselier saw the danger early on. 'Once we understood there was no third shooter, I realized that for everyone, it was going to be difficult to get closure,' he said." Because there was no understanding of why it happened and no one left alive to blame "Displaced anger would riddle the community for years."
Others might disagree, but I believe this is the reason Fuselier pushed the psychopath and depressive thing, and got Cullen to push it, too. For closure for the community.

He talks of Sheriff Stone's ridiculous gaffes to the press and how it embarrassed his team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 8:33 pm

Chapter 37-
Cullen says that Dr. Kevin Albert is a psychiatrist.
Wrong. He's a psychologist.

He talks about the arrest and how both boys reacted.
"Three days after his arrest, Dylan pictured himself on the road to happiness with Harriet. He sketched it out in his journal as a two lane highway with a road sign off one shoulder and a dashed stripe down the center. His road led off to a majestic row of mountains, with a giant heart guiding him onward. 'It's so great to love,' he wrote. He was a felon now, but he was ecstatic. He filled half the page with drawings and exclamations: 'I love her & she loves me."
He is referring to pages 26404- 26407.
If you guys remember Dylan's drawing, the "majestic row of mountains" is two bumps and something that looks like a penis.
I do not interpret Dylan's entry this way at all. The majority of the entry, Dylan is talking about going onto another existence (either by suicide or NBK with the halcyon girl). His "ecstasy" is not love for the girl, his ecstasy is the beginning of his acceptance that the only way for him to be happy is for him to be dead and going onto the next life. The whole thing talks of how he and the girl need to die to be happy together. About how the zombies hold him back, how they are inferior to gods like him.

Cullen writes "Suicide or murder? The pattern solidifed: homicidal thoughts occasionally, self-destruction on every page."
I agree with the self destruction but the homicidal thoughts in this entry are not occasional.  
- either ill commit suicide or ill get w/ (halcyon girl) & it will be NBK for us
- and soon I & (halcyon girl) will snap. We will have our revenge on society
- the zombies will pay for their arrogance hate, fear, abandonment & distrust

Cullen writes "As Eric embraced murder, Dylan retreated. After the arrest, he had the one brief outburst in his journal, and then he dropped all mention of it for nearly a year."
What Cullen fails to mention is that there are exactly TWO dated journal entries (6-8-98 and 8-10-98) between that February 2, 1998 entry above and the January 20, 1999 entry when he says "maybe going NBK (gawd) w/ Eric". The rest of the writing is undated and not specific to anything going on in his life that would help to place it in the timeline. Unlike Eric, Dylan's "journal" was just scraps of individual papers around his room, not a bound notebook. The police couldn't put the writing that didn't have dates on it chronologically. There is no way that Cullen could know when any of the other pages were written.
But we do know that between Feb '98 and Jan '99, Dylan wrote loads of stuff about killing and death in Eric's 1998 yearbook, talked about blowing up the school, etc. with friends and co-workers in 1998, wrote in his 97-98 school planner "the lonely man strikes with absolute rage" (pg. 26437), and wrote a "do shit for NBK" list which also mentions B-Day shit. This implies it was written some time just prior to or during September 1998 (pg. 26521) because his birthday was 9/11.
There are a lot of other notes and drawings of what he'd wear, what they'd use for NBK, etc. But since I am not Cullen, I don't include these because they are not dated and I can't prove when they were written. Implying I know and using them to bolster my opinion and influence others would be dishonest.

Cullen writes about Dylan telling Brooks about Eric's web page by handing him the url for Eric's secret page. As has been discussed here, the truth of that is questionable. The handwriting does not resemble Dylan's (https://schoolshooters.info/sites/default/files/1997_1998_columbine_report.pdf pg. 45) and our source of information is Brooks Brown's word.

He writes about the boys Diversion interviews. Notice how he describes Dylan and Eric admitting to drinking and using drugs.
"Dylan copped to five or six drunken bouts, starting at age fifteen." "Dylan claimed he had quit drinking. he didn't like the taste and said it 'wasn't worth it.' He had tried pot, too, and rejected it for the same reasons."
"Eric was more cautious. He revealed just enough to appear confessional. He said he tasted alcohol three times, had never gotten drunk, and had given it up for good. Exactly what a parent wanted to hear. It was vintage Eric- more believable than abstinence and reassuring to boot: he had faced the temptation already and the danger had passed. He understood how his parents thought, and in no time he'd read Andrea Sanchez. In their first meeting, he turned an admission into a virture. He lied about pot, too. He claimed no interest. The alcohol admission gave the claim credence.
"
So... Dylan, whose close friends nicknamed him Vodka because he was a borderline alcoholic, lies about only getting drunk 6 times and no longer drinking because he didn't like the taste and Cullen has no comment. But... Eric lies about the same things and he's the master manipulator telling the adults what they want to hear. Suuuurrree.  

When Cullen writes about Eric's answers on the mental health evaluation, he says "Eric was seething as he scrawled out his answers, and he practically told them so on the form. The nerve of these lowlifes judging him. He explained how he hated fools telling him what to do. In the interview, he apparently directed his anger at other fools. They fell for it.
As we all know, this is what Eric actually wrote "short temper. Often get angry at almost anything I don't like. like people I have no respect for trying to tell me what to do. People telling me what to think. I have too many inside jokes or thoughts to have very many friends or I hate too many things."
Man, he was just seething, huh?
He also writes "Eric would howl about it later. The partial confession was his favorite con of all. He could turn over half his cards and still pull off the bluff."
Of course, Cullen doesn't direct the reader as to where Eric was bragging about this, because it never actually happened. In the Basement Tapes both Eric and Dylan bragged about fooling people, like Eric's dad with the Green Mountain Guns thing and getting the gun from Manes. But Eric never wrote of lying at the Diversion interview and not one of the articles or police descriptions of the Basement Tapes indicate that he spoke of the Diversion interview. Cullen didn't get to see the BT's.
So, basically, he's using Eric's statements about lying about other things and applying it to the Diversion interview to bolster what he is telling the reader about Eric's manipulation skills.
Cullen's lying. He also has excellent manipulation skills.

He details some of the contacts the Brown's had with police and how the police bungled things.
He writes, "But apparently Eric knew what they were all up to. Eric got wind that the Browns were on to him, so he took his Web site down for a while. There is no indication he ever learned of Dylan's betrayal."
This is pure speculation on his part. First, I don't know if Eric's website was offline in 1998; I know it was for part of 1997 after Aaron Brown reported it the first time. Second, Eric was a smart kid and was now on Diversion with felonies on his record. Maybe he figured having the Rebel Clan mission logs and bomb building tutorials linked to him through his website wasn't a good idea. Cullen cannot prove that Eric did anything with his website because of the Brown's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator, Discord Admin & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Posts : 5682
Contribution Points : 126847
Forum Reputation : 770
Join date : 2017-08-25
Age : 37

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 6:52 pm

My book club wants to do this next month....

Oh it’s on! They’d better get their notebooks and drink of choice ready

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hvernon
Top Contributor
hvernon

Posts : 755
Contribution Points : 41220
Forum Reputation : 999
Join date : 2016-11-22
Location : Missouri

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 11:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
My book club wants to do this next month....

Oh it’s on! They’d better get their notebooks and drink of choice ready
Good luck to your poor book club! lol!

_________________


"...we will be free, to explore the vast wonders of the stars. To cascade down everlong waterfalls, & thru the warmest seas of pure happiness... no limits... no limits. Nothing will stop us. "


-Dylan Klebold
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thelmar
Top Contributor
thelmar

Posts : 414
Contribution Points : 27485
Forum Reputation : 1165
Join date : 2018-07-15

Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fact Check Cullen's book   Fact Check Cullen's book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2019 10:53 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
My book club wants to do this next month....

Oh it’s on! They’d better get their notebooks and drink of choice ready

Would love to be a fly on the wall for that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
 
Fact Check Cullen's book
Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Bingo Book
» Something I noticed...
» ariel cullen
» Chatroom Summons: Fact or Mystery?
» The Cavalry of the Apocalypse[Ready to Check]

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: