Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why?

Go down 
+2
Lizisaround
sympathyforEandD
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sympathyforEandD

sympathyforEandD

Contribution Points : 71194
Forum Reputation : 486

Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why? Empty
PostSubject: Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why?   Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 7:10 pm

To name three high-profile ones: Tarrant, Cruz and the Santa Fe shooter. All of them had plenty of time to end it (Cruz even escaped the crime scene undetected by blending in with the crowd) but instead allowed themselves to be taken alive.

What reasons could they have for staying alive just to rot in a prison cell?
Back to top Go down
Lizisaround

Contribution Points : 48595
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why?   Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 7:34 pm

I think they all are suicidal, but I think a part of them may want to see how the event plays out and how people will react to it. There finally getting the attention and 'power' (as they see it) that they want, and want to be there to see the people who have hurt them feeling regretful or scared. What they don't realize is that these events people cry about for a few days and then move on with their lives (unless they were in the situation, most people who know about columbine for example don't research it like we do- their sad about it but move on after awhile). There not leaving the legacy they think will be left after these horrible acts, and they will have to see that with time as they sit in jail for the rest of their lives... the whole thing is sad.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
NeedaHaircut

Contribution Points : 48205
Forum Reputation : 40

PostSubject: Re: Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why?   Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 6:40 pm

I want to say it was Kip Kinkel who planned to off himself after killing his parents but couldn't bring himself to do it. So then the next day when he went to Thurston he tried to get the cops to shoot him when he was being apprehended. They pepper sprayed him instead.

As for rotting in a jail cell, it's weird and I don't really know how to put it, but Kinkel seems to be thriving in prison from what I read in a 20 year anniversary article.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Supacocky

Supacocky

Contribution Points : 50140
Forum Reputation : 75

PostSubject: Re: Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why?   Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 3:02 pm

I don't know why but i always thought the ones commiting suicide just hated themselves so much that they only went on a "autodestruction mode", destroying everything around them (eric & dylan  for exemple) and the ones who didn't, wanted to see the reaction they created, the fame and were somehow proud of it ( Breivek, ...).

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why?   Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 6:07 pm

?

Last edited by 9mmtomyhead on Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lognifiiskurk
Top 10 Contributor
lognifiiskurk

Contribution Points : 60914
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why?   Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 7:32 pm

I remember listening to a podcast about mass shooters (specifically Pekka-Eric Auvinen) and one of the hosts brought up the point that if a shooter wants fame or attention then surely they wouldn't kill themselves so that they can see the impact that they have on the world. Then again, most shooters are both suicidal and homicidal and would rather kill themselves than rot away in a prison cell for the rest of their life but some are too scared to pull the trigger or just don't want to.

anna444 and tellecat like this post

Back to top Go down
dyonqqr

dyonqqr

Contribution Points : 40209
Forum Reputation : 175

PostSubject: Re: Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why?   Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2021 5:09 pm

Some got tackled / interrupted, often when reloading or if their gun jammed (Kip Kinkel.)
Others got overwhelmed by the situation until they couldn't think straight or adhere to their suicidal plan (Andrew Wurst, Trey Sesler.)
Others, mostly psychopaths, were driven primarily by homicidal impulses than by suicidal ones (Nikolas Cruz, TJ Lane) and were willing to forfeit their death in order to continue their power fantasy.
Others were delusional about their fate after capture (Dylann Roof, who thought he would be made governor.)
Still others were incapable of functioning in society and viewed the shooting and subsequent jail as an escape from that obligation (I've seen this interpretation used for Michael Carneal.)

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why?   Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2021 1:22 pm

Alvaro Castillo planned to commit suicide but his carbine jammed in the middle of the attack and he was stopped by a bailiff and a highway patrol officer.

Junior could not commit suicide because a classmate from his classroom managed to pounce on his and take the weapon from him. However, he had several suicide attempts after his arrest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why?   Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shooters who didn't commit suicide afterwards: Why?
Page 1 of 1