Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The bunker was in the backyard.

Go down 
+3
Screamingophelia
Imperator
Miasmom1028
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Miasmom1028

Miasmom1028

Contribution Points : 48832
Forum Reputation : 175

The bunker was in the backyard. Empty
PostSubject: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 10:11 am

One of the things made me wonder in how E&D were able to store all their stuff without it going noticed. There were also discussions about where the bunker was. Some people think it was Eric's room or in the window sill. But I think it was under a concrete slab in Eric's backyard.

On page 10228 on the 11k, it stated "At the request of Investigator Zimmerman, I photographed several small fragments of broken material which were located outside the residence on the surface of a concrete slab in a fenced backyard area along the side of the garage." Then later it does on with witness statements. On page 10251, Mr. Konen said that another neighbor reported a metal banging sound that came from Harris' yard on 4/10/19. On that same page, Mr. Voehal said that he heard noise from Harris' garage around 11:30 am on 04/19/99. Now this is what really sold me that the bunker was under the concrete slab. On Page 10236-10237 a contractor by the name of Hopkins. They stated that they heard some banging sounds and Harris come out of the garage with a crowbar in his hand and said "I'll open the Mother Fucker with this."

Last edited by Miasmom1028 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

Contribution Points : 73745

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 10:45 am

I think he mentioned the bunker in the basement tapes too via transcript being somewhere in the backyard.

His parents never really searched his room either. I know mine didn't. I had a mini fridge full of beer.

Quote :
On Page 10236-10237 a contractor by the name of Hopkins. They stated that they heard some banging sounds and Harris come out of the garage with a crowbar in his hand and said "I'll open the Mother Fucker with this."
Interesting. I wonder on what date this was heard? I ask because if it was later on closer to the massacre and this 'bunker' had been in use by him ahead of that, he would already know how to get in and out of it. I would imagine he didn't scream that either so this Hopkins must have been in relatively close proximity.
Back to top Go down
Miasmom1028

Miasmom1028

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 10:54 am

Imperator wrote:

Interesting.  I wonder on what date this was heard?  I ask because if it was later on closer to the massacre and this 'bunker' had been in use by him ahead of that, he would already know how to get in and out of it.  I would imagine he didn't scream that either so this Hopkins must have been in relatively close proximity.  

This happened in the morning of April 19, 1999.

Last edited by Miasmom1028 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 193746
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 10:57 am

I know a bunch of us talked about this a while ago but I always thought the “bunker” was a window well that he kept things in... There’s no way anybody would really think to look. And I guess sue also said that he Dylan hid guns in boxes for LED lights...

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 11:34 am

Quote :
Interesting. Was Eric not at school that day? If it was before school, odd that a contractor was out so early in the morning that time of year. Not to mention proximity.

Back to top Go down
Miasmom1028

Miasmom1028

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 12:26 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
I know a bunch of us talked about this a while ago but  I always thought the “bunker” was a window well that he kept things in... There’s no way anybody would really think to look. And I guess sue also said that he Dylan hid  guns in boxes for LED lights...

I do remember that! That discussion made me think. Eric seemed to store most of the stuff in his house. I am not sure really why as Dylan had his huge property that could be easily hidden or buried. Another thing is how was Eric able to hide 48 -- Carbon Dioxide bombs, 27 -- Pipe bombs, 11 -- 1.5 gallon propane bombs, 7 -- gas or napalm bombs, 2 guns, a ton of ammo, clips, and other gear in his bedroom? Of course some were there but most of it had to be hidden somewhere. It was under the concrete slab in Eric's backyard.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 12:35 pm

Imperator wrote:
Quote :
Interesting.  Was Eric not at school that day?  If it was before school, odd that a contractor was out so early in the morning that time of year.  Not to mention proximity.  

I thought he was in school because I thought that’s the last time he saw Susan?

Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 12:37 pm

Miasmom1028 wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
I know a bunch of us talked about this a while ago but  I always thought the “bunker” was a window well that he kept things in... There’s no way anybody would really think to look. And I guess sue also said that he Dylan hid  guns in boxes for LED lights...

I do remember that! That discussion made me think. Eric seemed to store most of the stuff in his house. I am not sure really why as Dylan had his huge property that could be easily hidden or buried. Another thing is how was Eric able to hide 48 -- Carbon Dioxide bombs, 27 -- Pipe bombs, 11 -- 1.5 gallon propane bombs, 7 -- gas or napalm bombs, 2 guns, a ton of ammo, clips, and other gear in his bedroom? Of course some were there but most of it had to be hidden somewhere. It was under the concrete slab in Eric's backyard.

I wonder if it was harder to hide things at Dylan’s because his dad was always home? He was having health issues and worked from home. Eric seemed to be able to flow more freely in the house even though it was smaller.

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 12:38 pm

Quote :
I thought he was in school because I thought that’s the last time he saw Susan?
He may have been and in all likelihood was but I have no idea. I am curious about the contractor's witness testimony hearing what Eric said on 4/19. It's why I raise the question but I dunno. I wasn't there.
Back to top Go down
Miasmom1028

Miasmom1028

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Here are their attendance details from the day before

Eric
Bowling: Present confirmed 10122
Adv Video: Present (Nate indicated on this day that Eric kept on falling asleep and the teacher advised for him to go to the nurses office to sleep pg. 8195)
Philosophy: Yes Confirmed pg. 3483
Creative writing: Teacher didn't arrive on time so they skipped class.
Psychology: Yes confirmed by Nate Dykeman

Dylan
Bowling: Present
Ap Calc
Philosophy (Dropped so this is N/A)
Creative writing: Teacher didn't arrive on time so they skipped class.
Psychology: Yes confirmed by Nate Dykeman

Nate also indicated that on that date he was back around 11:50am and saw Eric and Dylan's car there. So I am assuming that it was between 10am and 11:50am that E&D were at Eric's house. So the Wallpaper contractor's statement was correct.

I did list the page numbers for the reports for anyone to look at.
Back to top Go down
Miasmom1028

Miasmom1028

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 2:50 pm

Imperator wrote:
Quote :
Interesting.  Was Eric not at school that day?  If it was before school, odd that a contractor was out so early in the morning that time of year.  Not to mention proximity.  

I listed the page numbers for anyone including yourself who wants to read it.
Back to top Go down
Miasmom1028

Miasmom1028

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 2:52 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
Miasmom1028 wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

I wonder if it was harder to hide things at Dylan’s  because his dad was always home? He was having health issues and worked from home. Eric seemed to be able to flow more freely in the house even though it was  smaller.

I wondered that myself but after reading Susan's book, Eric did come in a couple of times with a large bag and they didn't even question the contents on the inside.
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 2:58 pm

Quote :
they didn't even question the contents on the inside.
My understanding from reading a quote from Susan is because she knew that E & D were routinely hauling in Computer/Camera so she really didn't think much of it.

Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 3:14 pm

Quote :

Thank you. read those pages 10236/10237. It's a little clearer.
Between 8:45-9:00 am April 19, 1999 Ed Reffitt was working on Rene Hopkins home which was a neighbor to the Harris's. He [Reffitt] saw the two pull into the drive way in Eric's car, open the garage and come back out only to enter the side yard between the two homes. He heard banging and booming when both boys came out from the yard and went back in the garage. Shortly thereafter both returned to the yard but Eric had a 3-4 foot crowbar in hand. He then heard one of the two state "I'll open the Motherfucker with this!"

Not sure how the above ties into their attendance on the same day. Would have to look into the referenced pages. We know around 9am to 10 to 10:30 am the boys were absent from school based on witness testimony.
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 3:21 pm

Also did/wouldn't the investigators say if they found a hidey hole or cache or bunker as it was labeled on the Harris property?
Back to top Go down
Miasmom1028

Miasmom1028

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Imperator wrote:
Quote :

Thank you.  read those pages 10236/10237.  It's a little clearer.  
Between 8:45-9:00 am April 19, 1999 Ed Reffitt was working on Rene Hopkins home which was a neighbor to the Harris's.  He [Reffitt] saw the two pull into the drive way in Eric's car, open the garage and come back out only to enter the side yard between the two homes.  He heard banging and booming when both boys came out from the yard and went back in the garage.  Shortly thereafter both returned to the yard but Eric had a 3-4 foot crowbar in hand.  He then heard one of the two state "I'll open the Motherfucker with this!"

Not sure how the above ties into their attendance on the same day.  Would have to look into the referenced pages.  We know around 9am to 10 to 10:30 am the boys were absent from school based on witness testimony.  

It was unclear if they were or not. I looked into the teachers lists to see if they were marked present and looks like they were for the first portion of the day. From Brooks statement, right before A lunch was Philosophy class so I assuming they left right after that class. But that doesn't match up with the timeline. I looked over several times to see if JeffCo searched the backyard and it doesn't even seem that they did. Or didn't note that they did.
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 5:12 pm

Quote :
JeffCo searched the backyard and it doesn't even seem that they did. Or didn't note that they did.
I am uncertain what constitutes as the backyard but on 10228/229 the photographer photographed the side of the house on a concrete slab with fragments of hard plastic, broken glass or electronic circuit board material.  This might be what they were banging on side of the house.  Not sure why the crow bar was needed to open the motherfucker whatever the Motherfucker is?  

Dylan referenced in the BT a bunker presumably outside (I erroneously said Eric earlier).  

Klebold: You can’t see it, it’s buried there. That’s why it’s called a bunker.  

Which is why it would be concerning that Jeff Co Sheriff's wouldn't have gone back to search for this bunker.  That seems to be a very important piece of evidence.  Perhaps it is in the 11k somewhere?
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 8:19 pm

Dylan was in calculus that day, he wrote an entry in his "journal"during the class and I think Robyn confirmed she saw him.

cakeman

Contribution Points : 81047
Forum Reputation : 1491

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 8:30 pm

You can find Eric's list of things in it. Includes his whiskey - maybe the bunker was invented when Brooks tattled on where he hid his whiskey in his room. As I recall most of the arsenal was not in there, but in the drawers and behind things and in the wall and etc in his room. And I don't know about a concrete slab, or whether he would need to break it open. Why put your whiskey in a place you need to break open? It was 'buried' outside, presumably in the ground in the yard.

Screaming is probably right on reasons for choosing Eric's room as hiding place, though one wonders if Dylan's room hid anything other than guns. He did have two pipe bombs left there after all, and he seems the one tasked with checking on the bomb during the murder spree.
Back to top Go down
spishakwax

Contribution Points : 45980
Forum Reputation : 315

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2019 5:40 am

In Sue's book, she writes "Investigators had failed to discover one of Eric's hiding places in their initial search of the Harrises' home; they'd had to go back after seeing the tape."

I believe that this was in reference to the bunker, but I'm not really sure.

Miasmom1028

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2019 9:03 am

spishakwax wrote:
In Sue's book, she writes "Investigators had failed to discover one of Eric's hiding places in their initial search of the Harrises' home; they'd had to go back after seeing the tape."

I believe that this was in reference to the bunker, but I'm not really sure.

I wonder where that is at in the 11k....
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2019 10:56 am

Evidence [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
” at
which point Dylan mentions the “bunker.” Dylan tries to film out the west window but it’s
too dark outside; all that records is the glare on the window.
Klebold: You can’t see it, it’s buried there. That’s why it’s called a bunker

Personally I don't think they'd [E&D] lie about that. They took great pride in their deception and conniving.

Quote :
I wonder where that is at in the 11k....

I wonder as well since the subject has been brought up.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124574
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Eric & Dylan's own words from the basement tapes:

p010375 - Klebold films the west window inside Harris' room, and calls it a "bunker" and says. "You can't see it, it's buried there" Then he says. "That's why it's called a bunker."

p010379 - Klebold states there is a patch of ground, where it is buried under the dirt. Harris states there are "four mortar grenades, ten crickets, and three alfa's"
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2019 4:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Did the FBI/JCSO ever find the bunker?
Back to top Go down
true_crime

true_crime

Contribution Points : 59049
Forum Reputation : 296

PostSubject: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 2:39 pm

I know a bunch of us talked about this a while ago but I always thought the “bunker” was a window well that he kept things in... There’s no way anybody would really think to look. And I guess sue also said that he Dylan hid guns in boxes for LED lights...

Also Sue mentions somewhere in her memoir that Dylan had taken one of the weapons and hid it in the bedroom headboard.

Miasmom1028 wrote:

You have to keep in mind that Eric’s bedroom was quite large. It was actually originally a basement that he converted into a bedroom.

[quote="Screamingophelia"]I wonder if it was harder to hide things at Dylan’s because his dad was always home? He was having health issues and worked from home. Eric seemed to be able to flow more freely in the house even though it was smaller.

Exactly Screamingophelia. The boys were skipping classes frequently in the two weeks before the shootings. They couldn’t run in and out at Dylan’s house without attracting unneeded attention from Tom Klebold.

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 10:42 pm

Quote :
I know a bunch of us talked about this a while ago but I always thought the “bunker” was a window well that he kept things in

Yeah I think [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] posted a pic of that on the discord server.  It was a window well for a basement.  2 feet by 4 feet by maybe 3 feet high thereabouts.  Not sure if the one she posted was from the Harris'.   I guess it's possible but I don't think they were hiding 27 pipe bombs there in addition to ammo or propane bombs at 1.5 gallons.  

Back to top Go down
cakeman

cakeman

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2019 6:01 pm

What's the reasoning behind thinking it was a window well? Would parents not notice what was a window well is now full of dirt? Doesn't seem like a "patch of ground" either. Not sure if that should even be called burying.

And pretty sure at least all the larger propane tanks were bought that morning. So they don't need a hiding place, presumably.

In the 11k, 20630 seems to list what's in the bunker:
whiskey
4 mortar grenades
1 black cricket
3 alpha batch pipe bombs
10 crickets
and/or a notecard box with 29 crickets.
Back to top Go down
spishakwax

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 12:48 am

That's not what I'm getting on page 20630 at all

Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124574
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 1:12 pm

It is supposed to be page 026030
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 8:51 pm

Back to top Go down
spishakwax

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 10:59 pm

I have all of the actual pages. I was just looking at page 20630 that cakeman referenced.

Last edited by spishakwax on Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cakeman

cakeman

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 11:44 pm

Yeah sorry, typo. Eric's docs are at the tail end of the 11k, i. e. the 26,000 ones.
Back to top Go down
Imperator

Imperator

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 11:38 pm

Quote :
I have all of the actual page. I was just looking at page 20630 that cakeman referenced.
My bad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The bunker was in the backyard.   The bunker was in the backyard. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The bunker was in the backyard.
Page 1 of 1