Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

[[

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Russianman

Russianman

Contribution Points : 52946
Forum Reputation : 157

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2019 7:01 am

I just thinking about how different laws in countries. In Russia for juvenile maximum sentence - 10 years.
Back to top Go down
Spanky

Spanky

Contribution Points : 41219
Forum Reputation : 60

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2019 8:32 am

Russianman wrote:
I just thinking about how different laws in countries. In Russia for juvenile maximum sentence - 10 years.

America is the only country that has people serving Life Without Parole for crimes committed as juveniles
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120403
Forum Reputation : 3191

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2019 10:43 am

I'd bet good money he's going to try and appeal his sentence. It certainly looks unconstitutional.

Carnifex879
Hayden Jagst
Former Top 10 Contributor

Carnifex879

Contribution Points : 68272
Forum Reputation : 391
Location : Gretchen Whitler's People's Republic of "The Mitten"

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2019 4:28 pm

I feel like life imprisonment is way too long. Especially without parole.

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2019 9:10 pm

I'm really surprised about his sentence.
Back to top Go down
Spanky

Spanky

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 6:35 pm

hvernon wrote:

How so?
Back to top Go down

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 9:46 pm

Spanky wrote:
hvernon wrote:

How so?

I'm surprised that a juvenile is being given life in prison. I know he shot up his school, but still. Mitchell Johnson and Andrew Golden were tried as minors and sentenced, but they were released upon turning 21. I guess a lot has changed since then.
Back to top Go down

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 10:47 pm

hvernon wrote:
Spanky wrote:
hvernon wrote:

How so?

I'm surprised that a juvenile is being given life in prison. I know he shot up his school, but still. Mitchell Johnson and Andrew Golden were tried as minors and sentenced, but they were released upon turning 21. I guess a lot has changed since then.

Yea, and plus they killed more than him
Back to top Go down
Spanky

Spanky

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 10:53 pm

hvernon wrote:
Spanky wrote:
hvernon wrote:

How so?

Yeah, not even giving a chance to review the case decades later, to see if parole would be appropriate given rehabilitation, etc. after 30/40 years have passed seems a bit dogmatic, especially given that he was only 14 at the time of the crime.

Regardless a few things to note on the Jonesboro Shooting: 1) They were younger than Osborne, Golden was only 11 and Johnson was 13. 2) The judge had no discretion on that sentence, in order to be held past your 21rst birthday (or 25th birthday depending on the state) you have to be tried as an adult. At the time of the crime, Arkansas law required that you be at least 14 years of age before you can be tried as an adult, meaning, there was no option for any sentence that held them past their 21rst birthday.

Interestingly, because of this case, Arkansas lowered the minimum age to be tried as an adult:

Quote :
Arkansas youngsters convicted of murder can now be sentenced to life in prison under a measure that was signed into law today by Gov. Mike Huckabee and inspired by the deadly shooting in Jonesboro last year. Children of any age who are convicted of first-degree murder can now receive adult punishment, including life in prison, but not the death penalty. State law previously protected children under 14 from facing adult punishment.
(New York Times, April 1999, "Arkansas Law to Permit Life Sentences for Youths")

However, in this case, the judge did have discretion, he could have given him a chance at parole, but ultimately decided he should never even have a chance to be free, and must remain behind bars until he dies. But the fact that he even had a hearing to allow for his defense attorneys to make the case why he should be given a chance at parole in the future is something contemporary. As under Supreme Court ruling Miller v. Alabama (2012), a mandatory sentence of Life Without Parole for crimes committed as juveniles is unconstitutional, and before that sentence is handed down there must be a hearing to consider the particularity of their youth, and if they should be given a chance in the future at parole. This decision was made retroactive by Montgomery v. Louisiana (2016). Without these decisions, Osborne would have certainly been mandatorily sentenced to LWOP without any hassle.
Back to top Go down
James411

Contribution Points : 85039
Forum Reputation : 89

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2019 4:28 pm

He was part of group called "project rainbow", I never heard of that before.
Back to top Go down
James411

Contribution Points : 85039
Forum Reputation : 89

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2019 4:05 pm

Do you think he will win his appeal or will he spend all his life in prison. I think that if you are in prison when you 14 and get out when you are in your 50's its like you have been your entire adult life in prison, it must be tough to function outside world having to pay bills,get a job all that crap.

I watched this video on Jess Osborne and hsi favorite tv shows include
1.big brother
2.swat
3. us Navy seals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

[[ Empty
PostSubject: Re: [[   [[ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[[
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Other Crimes :: Other Mass Shootings-
Jump to: