Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

First March Without Mass Shootings

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
true_crime

true_crime

Contribution Points : 57799
Forum Reputation : 296

First March Without Mass Shootings Empty
PostSubject: First March Without Mass Shootings   First March Without Mass Shootings Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 1:50 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First March Without Mass Shootings   First March Without Mass Shootings Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 11:35 am

N/A

Last edited by Duluth on Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: First March Without Mass Shootings   First March Without Mass Shootings Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 12:37 pm

Duluth wrote:
It might have something to do with not a lot of schools being open.

I'll bet if there was no pandemic, there'd be more school shootings, and mass shootings in general.

Absolutely. It strikes me as little coincidence that with everything having been closed there's now a lot less mass shootings or attacks. I wonder if some people will want some things to remain closed for that reason alone.

PostSubject: Re: First March Without Mass Shootings   First March Without Mass Shootings Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 1:33 pm

N/A

Last edited by Duluth on Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
true_crime

true_crime

Contribution Points : 57799
Forum Reputation : 296

PostSubject: Re: First March Without Mass Shootings   First March Without Mass Shootings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 12:40 am

We are definitely going to see a lot of shifts in our society.

downwardspiral

Contribution Points : 40200
Forum Reputation : 306

PostSubject: Re: First March Without Mass Shootings   First March Without Mass Shootings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 1:19 am

Yeah but domestic violence is up and there have been quite a few quarantine-related murders and mass killings. There were still mass shootings, like the guy in Russia who killed five people over a noise dispute, and some family annihilations. Just not school or workplace related ones.

Duluth wrote:
I think that if it's more profitable for companies to have their employees work from home, then they'll keep it that way for good.

My husband works for a company where everyone can work from home. They started working from home before the lockdown even became official. Most of them HATE it and can't wait to go back. They miss the social environment of the office and their coworkers who they were friends with. The people with kids especially hate it for obvious reasons, but even the people without kids mostly hate it too.

I find it weird, especially because our region of the country is known for long commutes on public transportation, but apparently to them it's worth it. My husband is not that social of a person and even he, when I asked him if he'd want to work from home forever, said "I would like the option to work from home or go in whenever I wanted, but I like going in to the office sometimes."

He predicted that his company will not stay working from home after the pandemic, even though they have their offices in a very expensive area. Companies have to recruit top talent, and if people prefer an office to working from home, creating a beneficial work environment is part of that, and can be worth the money.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: First March Without Mass Shootings   First March Without Mass Shootings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 11:22 am

downwardspiral wrote:
Yeah but domestic violence is up and there have been quite a few quarantine-related murders and mass killings. There were still mass shootings, like the guy in Russia who killed five people over a noise dispute, and some family annihilations. Just not school or workplace related ones.

Sadly, these are the only kinds of mass murders the populace at large cares about. I believe this is related to the "just world" delusion (and yes, as far as I'm concerned it's a total self-delusion); if a husband kills his spouse and children, it's easier for people to distance themselves from the crime and even blame the victim, reasoning "that would NEVER happen with my family" or "she should have taken the kids and left him". But a mass killer who targets strangers destroys the Just world delusion because there's no capacity for people to blame the victim or distance themselves from the crime. It literally could happen to anyone.

downwardspiral

downwardspiral

PostSubject: Re: First March Without Mass Shootings   First March Without Mass Shootings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 12:05 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
Sadly, these are the only kinds of mass murders the populace at large cares about. I believe this is related to the "just world" delusion (and yes, as far as I'm concerned it's a total self-delusion); if a husband kills his spouse and children, it's easier for people to distance themselves from the crime and even blame the victim, reasoning "that would NEVER happen with my family" or "she should have taken the kids and left him". But a mass killer who targets strangers destroys the Just world delusion because there's no capacity for people to blame the victim or distance themselves from the crime. It literally could happen to anyone.

I'd disagree with that. The Chris Watts case is insanely popular in true crime circles. It even has its own subreddit! And many people say that the reason why they're interested in it is because they relate to Shanann. Also that one where the couple adopted the kids and drove into the ocean and killed them all is pretty popular as well. Also Scott Peterson, Andrea Yates, and some other ones. I also don't see victim-blaming in the discussion of these crimes. Plus in many family annihilation cases the killer did not have a history of violence, although they may have had a history of mental illness, substance abuse, or being a general asshole.

Also there's quite a few rampage killings that start as familicides, like Thurston High School shooting and Sandy Hook. In those cases the victim-blaming seems to be circumstance-dependent. Like a lot of people blamed Nancy Lanza, although recently I have seen people realizing that she was an abuse victim acting in the "fog of war" (which is how I always felt about it). But Kip Kinkel's parents don't really get blamed, mostly because people didn't really know as much about mental health in 1998.
Back to top Go down
downwardspiral

downwardspiral

PostSubject: Re: First March Without Mass Shootings   First March Without Mass Shootings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 1:47 pm

In related news, Florida Man is up to his old tricks again.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Man threatened mass shooting at Publix because 'not enough people' are wearing masks, cops say

Robert Kovner, 62, "was upset that not enough people, in his opinion, are wearing masks when they are out and about," the sheriff's office said."

Back to top Go down
nopenever

Contribution Points : 43718
Forum Reputation : 75

PostSubject: Re: First March Without Mass Shootings   First March Without Mass Shootings Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 2:24 pm

I don't think there will be any mass fatality shootings for a while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First March Without Mass Shootings   First March Without Mass Shootings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First March Without Mass Shootings
Page 1 of 1