Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Antiheros

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Juniper

Contribution Points : 4640
Forum Reputation : 50

Antiheros Empty
PostSubject: Antiheros   Antiheros Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2021 1:32 pm

Do you think that E&D or any other shooters would be comparable to the literary character of the antihero?

The best definition of an antihero I found on this site: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"An anti hero is a narrative protagonist who is defined by their own self-interest. The anti hero often feels rejected by society, and veers down a self-destructive path that results in isolation or death. Over the years, anti hero characters have become one of the most popular types of story protagonists — in television and in film."

Further:
"Anti Hero Characteristics:
  • At odds with society
    Motivated by self-interest
    Actions or morals are noble
"

I can think of other real-life and literary criminals who might fit this category:

-Billy the Kid
-Jesse James & his gang
-Robin Hood
-Ned Kelly

I guess the major question is whether the "Actions or morals are noble" is defined by the antihero/criminals or defined by the affected people/society. So subjective ethics v. objective ethics. Is a historical perspective the determination of whether someone's actions are moral or immoral? Ex: American revolutionaries as traitors (per 18th century British perspective) or American revolutionaries as patriots (American perspective reinforced through winning the war).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrbaby56

mrbaby56

Contribution Points : 38396
Forum Reputation : 0

Antiheros Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antiheros   Antiheros Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2021 11:21 am

My view of an antihero is someone who does something good but is at the same time not a good person. Like if a nazi had killed a bunch of people but suddenly changes and starts saving people instead. My definition is not very academic though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 71292
Forum Reputation : 155

Antiheros Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antiheros   Antiheros Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2021 1:28 pm

Not really.

An antihero in the literary sense has either to stand for something bigger than herself, or act as a sort of "force" through which nature/fate/god/history/justice make sits impact in the narrative world.

Spree killers don't stand for anyone but themselves, even duos like E&D or Andrew Golden and Mitchell Johnson.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adzybear

Adzybear

Contribution Points : 35901
Forum Reputation : 50

Antiheros Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antiheros   Antiheros Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2021 1:55 pm

It's basically, The Joker.

All that Batman Bullshit.

Antiheros
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: