Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eric's Nickname

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tinfoil

tinfoil

Contribution Points : 25250
Forum Reputation : 0

Eric's Nickname Empty
PostSubject: Eric's Nickname   Eric's Nickname Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2021 5:04 am

If Eric hated his school so much, why do you think he took to being nicknamed Reb, after his school's mascot?
Back to top Go down
incelgnorance
Banned

Contribution Points : 26999

Eric's Nickname Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's Nickname   Eric's Nickname Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2021 5:06 am

The irony consumes him

Employer_Square and hermit like this post

Back to top Go down
cakeman

cakeman

Contribution Points : 79197
Forum Reputation : 1491

Eric's Nickname Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's Nickname   Eric's Nickname Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2021 3:48 pm

"Obviously the tragedy and the complexity of our anti heroes somehow manifested contradictions and it couldn't be that your first assumption is false" is the usual answer with such questions.

It should at least be considered that maybe it wasn't they hated the school every day from the beginning, or indeed ever.

If can get over that can indeed have an interesting discussion of where he got it from. He uses "Reb" not "Rebel". Even if it was just because of Columbine's fight name, which seems right, why shortening it?  The shortened "Reb" almost makes it sound like a horses name from a civil war story or something.

Rebe or Reb is the German for vine. A parallel with vodka. I don't know of Eric as a winedrinker...though he did like the song Wilder Wein enough to identify with it at one point.
Back to top Go down
Stonechen

Contribution Points : 52652

Eric's Nickname Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's Nickname   Eric's Nickname Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2021 6:05 am

cakeman wrote:

Rebe or Reb is the German for vine. A parallel with vodka. I don't know of Eric as a winedrinker...though he did like the song Wilder Wein enough to identify with it at one point.

I'm from Germany. The "Weinrebe" means the vineplant. Not the vine. The word "Reb" doesn't exist in Germany. There are some shortcuts for "Reb" but nobody uses this.

I don't think his name has something to do with the song.

The song is about the first menstruation of a girl. I'm not sure but i don't think that Eric got the point of the song.

Sufficient-weight likes this post

Back to top Go down
cakeman

cakeman

Contribution Points : 79197
Forum Reputation : 1491

Eric's Nickname Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's Nickname   Eric's Nickname Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2021 3:30 pm

Stonechen wrote:
cakeman wrote:

I'm from Germany. The "Weinrebe" means the vineplant. Not the vine. The word "Reb" doesn't exist in Germany. There are some shortcuts for "Reb" but nobody uses this.

I don't think his name has something to do with the song.

The song is about the first menstruation of a girl. I'm not sure but i don't think that Eric got the point of the song.

I wasn't saying he got the intended message of the song, that's for sure.  I imagine it appealed to him because he thought of himself as a wild animal (or plant). Like the songs "Wild Thing" or "Born to be Wild" (which is in Duke Nukem 3D), but more his generation rather than earlier boomer generation. I have to imagine that's why he liked "Hobbes and Nietzsche".

I appreciate somebody who knows German commenting of course. It's almost funny when author Tim Krabbe corrects Eric's German.  I do understand in my limited, pidgin German that it's Rebe, not Reb. I don't think in English I even understand the difference between the vine and the vineplant. However, Eric like me was an insular American, and there is e. g. the surname Rebstock found in our genealogies [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Shnappz dislikes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Eric's Nickname Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's Nickname   Eric's Nickname Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eric's Nickname
Page 1 of 1