Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Are we too harsh on Rocky?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151535
Forum Reputation : 2754

Are we too harsh on Rocky? Empty
PostSubject: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2022 8:18 pm

I have no doubt that Rocky was a major-league asshole. But ... are we too hard on the guy?

The other day I was looking through the 1997 yearbook. I stumbled upon his picture. I'm accustomed to seeing his senior picture, but this was the first time I'd seen his junior picture.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

He doesn't look very happy, does he? Come to think of it, he doesn't look very happy in his senior picture, either.

You know how they say the bully is always miserable inside?

Maybe having a Hummer and a Dodge Viper and a bookshelf full of wrestling trophies just wasn't enough for the guy. Maybe he felt that his life was lacking something important.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that he got into a fight shortly after he transferred to Columbine. Supposedly he got his ass handed to him. Maybe he felt a deep sense of humiliation. Maybe this is what prompted him to up his game, if you will, and make sure that nobody ever disrespected him again.

Maybe, in his own way, he was just as wounded as Eric and Dylan. (Or, put another way, maybe they were just as asshole-ish as Rocky was.)

Or maybe he was just a total f**kwad.

What do you think?

Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120678
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 12:08 am

LPorter101 wrote:
What do you think?

It has been a very, very long time since I saw anything related to it but I seem to remember a post on here offhandedly mentioning that Rocky's father had gotten into minor legal trouble for some violent incident (I can't remember what it was at all). Maybe I remembered it wrong or it's a false memory, but even if that's the case I have to wonder if maybe things happened behind closed doors we aren't privy to.

Or maybe he just hit his head really hard. Head trauma and brain damage known to cause deviant and violent behavior and in wrestling this is definitely an occupational hazard.

LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 12:22 am

QuestionMark wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:
What do you think?

It has been a very, very long time since I saw anything related to it but I seem to remember a post on here offhandedly mentioning that Rocky's father had gotten into minor legal trouble for some violent incident (I can't remember what it was at all). Maybe I remembered it wrong or it's a false memory, but even if that's the case I have to wonder if maybe things happened behind closed doors we aren't privy to.

Rocky was riding a snowmobile with one of his friends and they crashed. The friend had surgery but the hospital botched the operation and he died. IIRC he didn't die right away - he had complications and lingered on for a while. The family sued the hospital and Rocky (since he was the one who was allegedly at fault).

I don't know how that case ended up.

Quote :
Or maybe he just hit his head really hard. Head trauma and brain damage known to cause deviant and violent behavior and in wrestling this is definitely an occupational hazard.

That is possible.

Someone (Brooks Brown?) said Rocky got really fat after high school. IIRC Brooks also said he had cancer. So maybe he has paid whatever karmic debt he supposedly owes to society or whatever.

His kid is doing wrestling now. You can Google it if you want. I wan't post a picture but he actually looks a lot like his father.

Years ago (2007-ish) there were pictures online of Rocky posing with his wife after he won some kind of amateur MMA thing. He already looked pretty pudgy. I remember guys on the old board complaining that his wife was attractive - "What does she in that asshole?" etc.

(Not to sound racist, but his wife is a Mexican lady who looks like she has some Asian ancestry.)

Contribution Points : 76736
Forum Reputation : 275

PostSubject: hoff   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2022 11:03 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:
What do you think?

Years ago (2007-ish) there were pictures online of Rocky posing with his wife after he won some kind of amateur MMA thing. He already looked pretty pudgy. I remember guys on the old board complaining that his wife was attractive - "What does she in that asshole?" etc.

(Not to sound racist, but his wife is a Mexican lady who looks like she has some Asian ancestry.)

Well, the pic you posted (and it was in one of YOUR posts) showed his wife clinging to him in a 1950s housewife manner, and with a big, possibly fake smile on her face.
Perhaps she's in it for the money? The Hoffschneiders were rich.

I had seen the younger yearbook picture when I was going through the old, pre-1999 yearbooks. I thought it was hilarious that he had a shaved head on top of everything else.

That being said....

....yes we've been too hard on him. Unless he sees the face of Cthulhu and lives to confess his sins, we have little to no connection between Rocky and NBK. It will always seem unlikely that he was really a cause. People here hate him so much that they've attributed things he didn't do to him, things they could easily look up and see he didn't do, like punching Eric in the face (Dan Lab) or the murky ketchup tampon incident. People here are likely conflating him with their own jock bullies from their godawful, putrid, awkward adolescent years.
He was probably a godawful person and his response to the Mark Ames attack (which was itself one of the dumber bits of writing I've read in my life in spite of how bad Rocky probably was...predating the common Internet journalism as elaborate trolling trend) indicates someone who will always use his physical strength to bully or threaten others, which is of course why the Columbine tragedy itself continues to find new interest with every passing generation, because bullying can never entirely be eradicated.

As for his wife, who knows? How many documentations are there of Rocky hurting women?

What "fight" did he get into where he got his ass handed to him? Fight with whom? You're not secretly thinking of that funny clip of Glenn Danzig getting knocked out in one punch, are you?
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2022 11:55 pm

Quote :
Well, the pic you posted (and it was in one of YOUR posts) showed his wife clinging to him in a 1950s housewife manner, and with a big, possibly fake smile on her face.  
Perhaps she's in it for the money?  The Hoffschneiders were rich.

It's always one of my posts, isn't it? Very Happy

Quote :
I had seen the younger yearbook picture when I was going through the old, pre-1999 yearbooks.  I thought it was hilarious that he had a shaved head on top of everything else.

I think Dusty shaved his head at one point as well.

[cough] [cough] steroids cause hair loss [cough] [cough]

Nah, he was just making a fashion statement.

Quote :
That being said....

....yes we've been too hard on him.  Unless he sees the face of Cthulhu and lives to confess his sins, we have little to no connection between Rocky and NBK.  It will always seem unlikely that he was really a cause.  People here hate him so much that they've attributed things he didn't do to him, things they could easily look up and see he didn't do, like punching Eric in the face (Dan Lab) or the murky ketchup tampon incident.  People here are likely conflating him with their own jock bullies from their godawful, putrid, awkward adolescent years.

Honesly, I never had any serious run-ins with jocks. A football player punched me once when I collided with him in the hallway, but that's about it. I was big enough that people used to tell me I should try out for the football team. I was really fat and I had horrible acne but I was not bullied nearly as much as I might have been. There were kids who said cruel things ("You've got the biggest tits of any guy I've ever seen. Do they lactate?") but I kind of wrote that off as the general assholery that many guys display toward one another. (Truthfully, the guy who said the meanest stuff to me was really short.) And I always had a snappy comeback.

I was kind of a class-clown type. One day when a teacher stepped out of the room I stood up and did a fake stripper routine in front of everyone. Some people laughed and some people just rolled their eyes and said, "There's [LPorter] being a stupid asshole again." The teacher came back in when I was gyrating and mistakenly believed that I was exposing myself to everyone. I almost got in serious trouble for that.

I was jealous of jocks - attractive athletic guys with good social skills. I admired them and I hated them at the same time. I used to see this one football player walking through the hallway with his girlfriend and I would wish that I could have what he had. He wasn't a huge guy but he was blonde and built and his girl was a petite cheerleader. (Who knows - maybe if I'd started lifting weights I would have been like him. I never had much use for sports, though.)

Then one day I saw them at ... the mall, I think. They were arguing about something and then she stormed off and he chased after her. And I thought, "Well, even popular kids have their problems."

I knew this other football player from a class I took. He was more of a party animal than an asshole - not too smart but handsome and popular. He was only a second-string player but he was invited to all the wild parties. And he was always nice to me. I mean, he was a football player - he had to act tough and all of that crap - but he always had a smile on his face. So I never had any real reason to dislike him.

After high school he drifted around for a while. He worked as a manager at a BBQ place then as a server at a sports bar (where he made tons more money due to tips) then as a bartender. I used to eat lunch at that sports bar and we would talk every now and then. Someone even took a picture of the two of us. He liked to reminisce about all the fun he had in school.

I listened politely. I didn't have much fun in school, escept for the jokes I used to tell in class. Sometimes I could get quite raunchy. Once or twice I probably crossed the line into sexual harassment.

He died at the age of 26. He fell off a hotel balcony. He was drunk and he sat on the railing and he leaned back a little too far. He didn't scream on the way down. He died on impact. There was no pain.

He was a good guy and it's a shame he never got to have the full deal in life - a wife and kids and all of that.

I'm not God and I don't know what goes on in people's heads and hearts and I have no right to judge anyone, but when I learned about his death I wondered why it couldn't have been someone like Rocky who fell off that balcony. That's not a nice thing to say but the thought did cross my mind.

Quote :
He was probably a godawful person and his response to the Mark Ames attack (which was itself one of the dumber bits of writing I've read in my life in spite of how bad Rocky probably was...predating the common Internet journalism as elaborate trolling trend) indicates someone who will always use his physical strength to bully or threaten others, which is of course why the Columbine tragedy itself continues to find new interest with every passing generation, because bullying can never entirely be eradicated.

True.

Quote :
As for his wife, who knows?  How many documentations are there of Rocky hurting women?

There was a Washington Post article where someone claimed that he shoved his girlfriend into a locker in front of some coaches and they didn't do anything. Supposedly his mother and his sister broke into the girl's house (!) and tried to beat her up.

Rocky's mother is dead now - cancer, I think.

Quote :
What "fight" did he get into where he got his ass handed to him?  Fight with whom?  You're not secretly thinking of that funny clip of Glenn Danzig getting knocked out in one punch, are you?  

No. I distinctly remember reading a reference to some kind of fight in junior year where Rocky got his ass handed to him. I can't find it now but I know I saw it.

Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 5:07 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
There was a Washington Post article where someone claimed that he shoved his girlfriend into a locker in front of some coaches and they didn't do anything. Supposedly his mother and his sister broke into the girl's house (!) and tried to beat her up.

That's what I was misremembering. I knew I wasn't crazy. Smile Seriously though, hearing about that made me think that maybe this family is fucked up behind the scenes and that's why Rocky turned out the way he did. Obviously we'll never know for sure but this incident seems like a hint as to what kind of people the Hoffschneiders are.

LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 5:55 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
That's what I was misremembering. I knew I wasn't crazy. Smile Seriously though, hearing about that made me think that maybe this family is fucked up behind the scenes and that's why Rocky turned out the way he did. Obviously we'll never know for sure but this incident seems like a hint as to what kind of people the Hoffschneiders are.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The summer before Hoffschneider entered Columbine, his girlfriend's parents alleged in court papers that Hoffschneider's mother and sister kicked in their door one morning. Edmund Lemieux, the girl's father, said the Hoffschneider family "was abusive and physical towards us."

QuestionMark likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

PostSubject: boogsily   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 12:52 am

LPorter101 wrote:

It's always one of my posts, isn't it? Very Happy

Not always, but yours is the ONLY place I've ever seen the MMA pic of Rocky with his wife--I can't find it anywhere. I also cannot find a bigger version of the pic with all the wrestlers of whatever, where Rocky is standing in the back.

But that's just it--you never got beaten up by any football players, but reflecting on that fear you felt is so awful. That's why that scene in "Dazed & Confused" where Adam Goldberg gets pounded by that greaser guy has to be in the movie, huh?

Thanks for the anecdote about the Hoffschneider family, but info on Rocky in recent years is pretty scarce. I will cop that anecdotes about him make for interesting background fair, but he still probably had little to nothing to do with the massacre.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 1:46 am

Quote :
Not always, but yours is the ONLY place I've ever seen the MMA pic of Rocky with his wife--I can't find it anywhere.  I also cannot find a bigger version of the pic with all the wrestlers of whatever, where Rocky is standing in the back.

You mean this one?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
Thanks for the anecdote about the Hoffschneider family, but info on Rocky in recent years is pretty scarce.  I will cop that anecdotes about him make for interesting background fair, but he still probably had little to nothing to do with the massacre.

I do believe that he contributed to an atmosphere of bullying at the school during Eric and Dylan's junior year, and I do believe that bullying contributed to their supreme sense of alienation from their peers, and I do believe that their sense of alienation was one of the reasons why they wanted to blow up the school. To what degree any of these individual factors can be singled out for blame, I can't say.

I do believe that there was a ketchup incident of some kind that really bothered the boys. I also believe that this incident occurred around the time of the van break-in. I believe that the boys reacted very strongly (and badly) to the arrest and that this was a major factor behind their decision to begin making specific plans for an assault on the school. Again, to what degree any one of these individual incidents can be singled out for blame, I can't say.

Chloelaura420 likes this post

Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 2:38 am

Quote :
But that's just it--you never got beaten up by any football players, but reflecting on that fear you felt is so awful. That's why that scene in "Dazed & Confused" where Adam Goldberg gets pounded by that greaser guy has to be in the movie, huh?

There's more to it than that.

I come from a sports-crazed family. My mother was very athletic in her youth. My father was a smart jock - he was a very good chess player, but he also played basketball in college and he worked as a high-school football coach at one point. My grandfather coached Little League.

My uncle was an asshole football player in high school. He was physically abusive toward my mother. (My family is really fucked up that way - lots of abuse and other shit I won't get into here. Suffice it to say that I've had bad things done to me and I've done bad things, myself.)

And in a way my family was kind of like the Hoffschneiders - not really, but there are similarities. Like Rocky Sr., my grandfather was not especially well-educated or intellectually inclined but he was a very successful businessman and he made lots of money. My grandparents spoiled me rotten - not to the same extent as Rocky, but enough that I never felt deprived. (At school, the rich kids thought I was poor, but the poor kids thought I was rich.)

My grandfather was always very good to me - he was the father I never had and I adored him and idolized him. But I can see that certain patterns occur in certain families that lead to bad situations, and I have to say that some of those patterns occurred in my family.

Everyone in my family tried to push me to become an athlete but I hated sports and exercise and I didn't want any part of it. They forced me to try soccer when I was seven and I was the worst player (by far) on the team. I had no talent but I didn't even try. If I had tried maybe I would have ended up playing for some kind of sports team at some point, but I doubt it.

The great irony is that I grew up to become pretty big. Even today I get asked if I ever played football. In high school I didn't work out but I ended up with a long torso, broad shoulders, and a big ribcage. Even though I was fat and socially inept, I didn't get a lot of crap from people. Some nasty comments, yes, but nothing like a lot of kids get.

Some high-school freshmen look like they're barely past elementary school. When I was in ninth grade some people thought I was a freshman in college.

Me halfway through my freshman year. This picture was taken in December 1999, around the time that Time magazine did its cover on the basement tapes:

I don't know if you can tell but I am wearing tons of makeup on my face to hide my acne.

Me halfway through my junior year. I had no social life but my mother dragged me to a New Year's party at a restaurant owned by one of her friends. I'm dancing with a lady who's older than my mother:

So I never had to worry too much about physical bullying. There were a few people who were not very nice to me but overall most people just ignored me. I felt like a freak but I also felt invisible at the same time. It's fair to say most of my problems were internal - I had no confidence, I hated myself, I hated going to school, and I hated my life. I wasn't rejected by girls because I never worked up the nerve to ask any out. I disconnected from reality as much as possible - I just withdrew into a fantasy world.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before but I skipped a huge amount of school as a senior. All of my teachers liked me so I got away with it.

I was always popular with teachers. I learned early on that if teachers liked you, you could get away with a lot. Not anything but a lot. I took advantage of it to some extent.

My point is that my high-school experience was crappy but not nearly as bad as it could have been. I would say that Eric and Dylan had it worse than me, although I have to point out that even Eric went on a few dates. But there were kids at Columbine who had it a lot worse than they did.

Even if all of the stories about Rocky are true, there are lots of kids who are bullied far worse than Eric and Dylan ever were, and they do not commit homicide. Some of them do commit suicide.

Someone told me once about an incident where an alpha jock - the ringleader of a group of bullies - raped a skinny gay kid in the locker room. He and his friends literally grabbed the kid, dragged him into the locker room, held him down, took his pants off, and raped him. A coach walked in on them. The ringleader got expelled but the other kids got a slap on the wrist.

That kind of stuff happens at many schools, and sometimes the bullies even get away with it. AFAIK, Rocky has never been accused of doing anything remotely as bad as that.

I had said many times that everyone brings different things to the table. My feelings about Columbine are wrapped up in my feelings about my own adolescence. I cannot separate the two. Indeed, I do not see any point in attempting to separate the two. Obviously I have some strong personal need to try to come to terms with 4/20, even though I have never been to Colorado and don't know anyone who went to the school. (I've talked to a few people on the board, but you know what I mean.)

I can envision a scenario where, if I had been a little more athletically inclined, I could have become a jock, and given some of my personality characteristics I might even have become a bully.

People have accused me of bullying Cullen over the years, and I have to admit that sometimes some of my mockery of him is not all that different from the types of comments that kids like Rocky make about kids like Eric and Dylan.

That, more than anything else, is why I am re-evaluating my feelings about Rocky. I'm not saying that he's a great guy, or that he deserves our sympathy, but I am saying that I am not at all certain that I am in a position to judge anyone for things that they may or may not have done in their youth. I am older now and (hopefully) I see things a little more clearly than I did at 14 or even 24.

Of course, there are people here who will say, "You're wasting your time even asking the question. The guy was a major-league asshole who ruined the high-school experience for a lot of kids, not just Eric and Dylan. f**k him," and I can't really criticize them for saying that.

The bottom line is that I'm presenting various facts and various facets of different arguments and trying to start a dialogue. YMMV.

Bookish

Contribution Points : 22051
Forum Reputation : 195

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 3:42 am

I think if we are talking about him at school, he was a child too. I’m not sure what kind of home life or trauma he has or why he needed to power grab by bullying in the first place, maybe something left him so insecure he reacted to it by putting on a front. Maybe he is just a bad person and is like it through and through but I think a lot of people did mean things as a child not really understanding the consequences to the other person and wouldn’t as an adult. I hope that’s where he is now and he’s worked through whatever it was. Not that I am condoning bullying but there’s usually more to the story I wasn’t there and have no idea how bad he actually was so I give him the benefit of the doubt.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 4:14 am

Of course, sometimes we read too much into everything.

Looking at his picture, what can you tell me about Rocky Wayne Hoffschneider, state-champion captain of the wrestling team, star player on the football team, and leading jock asshole at Columbine High School?

He's not a bad-looking guy, although his features don't entirely "click" somehow. His forehead bulge is very distracting.

I actually think he looks insecure here. He's trying to come across as the cocky arrogant stud but his smile is weak and if you look closely at his eyes he actually looks a little sad. Maybe I'm the only one who's seeing it but I really don't think he was a very happy person. It's like he's trying to prove something to someone.

Sometimes I wonder if his main source of happiness in high school was inflicting pain on other people. If true, that would make him a total asshole, but at the same time it would make him very pathetic. You can drive expensive cars and you can go to wild parties and have sex with hot cheerleaders but if you really don't like yourself, then what is the point of any of it? You keep telling yourself, "It's worth it because I can do whatever the fuck I want and get away with it," but at some level you have to know that you are lying to yourself.

One thing in Rocky's "favor" is that he doesn't have that standard dumb-jock look. I don't think he's especially intelligent but he doesn't look stupid. He looks like someone who has a certain depth to him, or at least someone who aspires to having a certain depth. (Having depth is not necessarily good - you can be a deep asshole.) He doesn't plaster on the standard American-style full-toothed grin. He's almost brooding in a way.

In high school, Rob Gronkowski didn't look like an asshole, but he did look like a meathead. You look at this picture and you think that this is a guy who has never had an original thought in his head:

I doubt that Rocky was an original thinker, but his picture doesn't make him look as stupid as Gronkowski. (That's not saying much.)

Ironically, I see certain similarities in Rocky and Eric's facial expressions.

It's funny: Rocky was the king of the school in terms of being able to beat up people at will, but how much did he get laid? He had at least one girlfriend that we knew about and we tend to presume that he had a decent amount of success with girls by high-school standards. But we don't know that, though, do we? Maybe Rocky was sexually frustrated. Maybe that's why he felt the need to beat people up.

(Keep in mind that the "point" of bullying is trying to make other boys look weak to improve his own standing in the eyes of girls.)

I think Eric actually hid his insecurity better than Rocky, when you factor in the fact that Eric was literally suicidal and homicidal over his lack of success with girls:

Looking at this picture, it's easy to see why Eric has fangirls. He looks a little crazy but in a way that many women find intriguing. His expression is creepy but it's also mysterious. He looks like a guy whose soul is partially shrouded in darkness. Not everyone finds that appealing but a certain type of female responds to it. Perhaps this is the reason why Eric was able to get a few dates, even though he was never able to get very far with any of them.

Some people photograph very well; others do not. Sometimes the camera captures a side of a person that people in the real world never see.

Now, before you read too much into this, let's look at a photograph that was taken of me when I was five years old, and compare it to one of Eric's photographs:

If Dave Cullen had put that picture of Eric on the cover of his book, then no one would have any trouble believing that Eric was a psychopath. He *looks* like a media caricature of a psychopath.

But I have the exact same facial expression. Does that make me a psychopath, as well?

(Maybe it does.)

Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 12:20 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
I actually think he looks insecure here. He's trying to come across as the cocky arrogant stud but his smile is weak and if you look closely at his eyes he actually looks a little sad. Maybe I'm the only one who's seeing it but I really don't think he was a very happy person. It's like he's trying to prove something to someone.

I see it differently. The way the smirk is so blatantly forced, the eyes so narrowed, it seems to me more like he's silently pissed but isn't able to show it. I get a distinct "get this camera out of my fucking face" vibe.

LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 2:26 pm

Quote :
I see it differently. The way the smirk is so blatantly forced, the eyes so narrowed, it seems to me more like he's silently pissed but isn't able to show it. I get a distinct "get this camera out of my fucking face" vibe.  

Yeah, that’s possible.

Why was he so pissed? Did he not like getting his picture taken? Was he upset that his senior picture was going to feature that crummy sweater? Maybe some guys just default to anger as their primary emotion.

I read an article once where someone mentioned that Dusty smiled a lot more than Rocky. Why didn’t Rocky smile? You’d think that a guy like that would have something to smile about, wouldn’t you? Or was he just so not into the whole high-school thing?

I think what I am driving at is that Rocky doesn’t give off that alpha-jock vibe. We can argue as to whether he looked angry or sad, but we can agree that he doesn’t have that cocky, fuck-you-I’m-better-than-you look that would you expect.

Brian Bosworth was a notorious cocky asshole football player in the ‘80s. He was a bully and an arrogant prick but you could tell that he loved every minute of it. He blew his wad early but it was a hell of a blow.

The first two pics are from high school:

That is how you expect an asshole jock to look. He projects confidence and arrogance. Rocky does not.

Bosworth looks a little like Landon Jones, another popular football player at Columbine.

Landon looks like a standard-model popular kid. No repressed anger, no brooding angst, just straightforward confidence. It’s an appealing all-American look:

After the massacre, Landon and Dusty led the Rebels to a state championship:

Rocky did not like Landon. Rocky used to spit in Landon’s helmet. One time Rocky shouted on a loudspeaker in the hallway that Landon’s girlfriend was a slut who had been passed around the football team.

Why did Rocky dislike Landon so much? Was Rocky jealous of Landon? If so, why? Rocky was a “rich kid” who ruled the school.

My larger point is, was Rocky so unhappy with his life that he had to take out his frustrations on other people? Why? Why does the kid who has everything need to lash out at everyone?

I’ll never know, but the question intrigues me.

We ask the same questions about Eric and Dylan. They were different people but they both had a lot going for them. What drove them to kill and to die?

Robert Craig didn’t even try to hide his unhappiness:

You look at that picture and you’re not the least bit surprised that he committed suicide.

QuestionMark and Chloelaura420 like this post

Back to top Go down
Bookish

Bookish

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 3:27 pm

I guess it’s hard analysing pictures because they capture a single moment rather than a full lifetime or even part of it. I might go through loads of emotions in a day and snap pictures at each time that look like totally different versions of me and they’d all be true, but only of that moment. Maybe if we had more pictures throughout his life we could make more judgements but even then it would be speculative.
I also think people think if you have money you can’t have any problems or aren’t entitled to them so much, which is just false. Money doesn’t matter if you’re abused, traumatised, lonely or taunted, those things hurt no matter how much cash you have or don’t have.

Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 3:49 pm

This is Rocky in 2007. I have cropped his wife out of the picture:

Meh. He really let himself go. He's got the whole deer-in-the-headlights thing going on.

Rocky the high-school senior still had some of that youthful glow to him. Rocky the adult just looks all washed up.

Landon, on the other hand, still looked pretty good (no homo) in 2019. He appears at 1:23:

Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 4:18 pm

Bookish wrote:
I guess it’s hard analysing pictures because they capture a single moment rather than a full lifetime or even part of it. I might go through loads of emotions in a day and snap pictures at each time that look like totally different versions of me and they’d all be true, but only of that moment. Maybe if we had more pictures throughout his life we could make more judgements but even then it would be speculative.

Quite true.

QuestionMark and Wanderer like this post

Back to top Go down
Bookish

Bookish

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 6:56 pm

Haha that’s so funny. I won’t add my own pictures! You proved my point better than I did.
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

PostSubject: biff   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 10:50 pm

[quote="LPorter101"]
Bookish wrote:

Sorry LPorter but Rocky gives off Biff Tannen vibes in any pic of him. Why don't you MAKE LIKE A TREE, and GET OUTTA HERE.

As for his behavior...."It is not enough for me to win. My enemies must lose."
If Rocky had been in Italy in 1944 with the Fascists I bet he would have been one of the torturers in "Salo: The 120 Days Of Sodom."
Or he'd be like Patrick Bateman, killing people for sport because he's bored with his rich-guy sinecure job.

I always wondered if the other shoe would drop on all the reports of bad Columbine behavior, sort of like how the New York Times or whoever spent years digging around and did not find a single actual recorded instance of anyone ever spitting on the vets returning from Vietnam at airports, but I guess not.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2022 6:17 am

Quote :
Why don't you MAKE LIKE A TREE, and GET OUTTA HERE.

Supposedly it was Rocky who came up with the name Trenchcoat Mafia. That’s a reasonably clever insult for a meathead jock. He deserves a B-minus for effort.

Let the record show that while I spent many years promoting public awareness of Hoffschneider’s misdeeds, I did at long last offer him the bone that he might not have been a *total* fucking piece of shit. I gazed into his eyes and tried to find the lost little boy inside. I searched for extenuating circumstances.

Go forth and sin no more, Rocky.

Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2022 11:21 pm

LPorter101 wrote:

Go forth and sin no more, Rocky.

Plot twist: He sins some more
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are we too harsh on Rocky?   Are we too harsh on Rocky? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are we too harsh on Rocky?
Page 1 of 1