Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

If Eric had read Dylan's journal?

Go down 
+3
Wideawake
Draw_It_White
tfsa47090
7 posters
AuthorMessage

If Eric had read Dylan's journal? Empty
PostSubject: If Eric had read Dylan's journal?   If Eric had read Dylan's journal? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 3:22 pm

sairaseeking wrote:
I've read both Eric's journal entries and Dylan's, as I'm sure many of you have. The interesting thing, besides the actual content, are the vast differences. To put it very basically: Eric's writings are dark and full of hate and aggression, while Dylan's are full of depression, unrequited love, and self-loathing.

While reading Dylan's entries I can't help but wonder what Eric would think of them. I'm sure they discussed many things, but somehow I doubt that Eric knew the full extent of how much Dylan wanted to be accepted and loved. I can't see these two (actually guys in general) sitting around discussing this kind of stuff.

How do you think Eric would have felt about Dylan's journal? Or reacted to it? Do you think he would have judged him as weak? Etc etc. I think it's highly probable that Dylan wouldn't be shocked if he were to read Eric's journal, as I'm sure Eric spoke to him about his hate.

The thing that got me thinking about this is that in the rare moments when Eric shows weakness in his entries, such as saying he is never invited to anything fun/feeling excluded/ etc, he follows it by making an excuse (such as it's human nature) or a threat (you'll be sorry). He didn't like being made to feel weak at school, or home (compared to his brother), and even to himself. The shooting was definitely a way for him to gain power and overcome his feelings of weakness. So how would he have viewed Dylan's writings, since they were much more sensitive, victimized, and sad in nature.

Food for thought.

I wonder this myself too. I have been reading their journals in depth a lot lately and I am also wondering about this? Would Eric have felt hurt when he read the part where Dylan seemed to be saying he wasn't going to wait until NBK and that he was just going to off himself before then? And do you think Eric would have been offended if he read about Dylan saying "oh gawd" as in maybe he didn't want to do NBK with Eric at all?

I got this thread from the other Columbine forum but it doesn't allow me to register or make a post, so is it okay to discuss this here?

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
tfsa47090
Global Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

Contribution Points : 101038
Forum Reputation : 91

PostSubject: Re: If Eric had read Dylan's journal?   If Eric had read Dylan's journal? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 4:27 pm

It is absolutely fine to bring posts from there to discuss and expound upon them here, Bryan.

It is also great when people quote the original author(s) from the old forum, too, just like you did here.
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 97993
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: If Eric had read Dylan's journal?   If Eric had read Dylan's journal? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 5:19 pm

I believe Eric would have been seething if he'd have ever read Dylan's diary.

Mainly for the fact it would have shown him that Dylan was by far and away the better liar out of the two of them.

Eric was proud of the way he could deceive anyone he met - think of the hate spewed while completing the diversion programme etc. can't think of the exact quote bit the one about growing a twin brother out his back.

Eric believed he was the master of lies - he was close but I think Dylan had him licked in that department. Dylan knew Eric's mindset but I don't think Eric was fully aware of Dylan's.
Back to top Go down
Wideawake

Wideawake

Contribution Points : 101776
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: If Eric had read Dylan's journal?   If Eric had read Dylan's journal? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Radioactive_Clothing wrote:

Mainly for the fact it would have shown him that Dylan was by far and away the better liar out of the two of them.

I agree. I think Eric would have been furious. And also scared. Cullen and others have painted Eric as the alpha male in the duo, which I don't agree with. I wonder if Eric thought he was the alpha male as well.
Back to top Go down
Mj2beat

Contribution Points : 95054
Forum Reputation : 24

PostSubject: Re: If Eric had read Dylan's journal?   If Eric had read Dylan's journal? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 7:29 pm

Radioactive_Clothing wrote:

Eric was proud of the way he could deceive anyone he met - think of the hate spewed while completing the diversion programme etc. can't think of the exact quote bit the one about growing a twin brother out his back.

Eric believed he was the master of lies - he was close but I think Dylan had him licked in that department. Dylan knew Eric's mindset but I don't think Eric was fully aware of Dylan's.

I agree with you, I bet Dylan had that kind of personality that not even a closest friend get to know, in that case, would be Eric. Eric was more impulsive so Dylan had to know all that rage and hate that he expressed in his journal by actions or comments but I dont think either that Eric was aware of that sensible part of Dylan and his love frustration. If he would know, I have the feeling that Eric would be upset to know that Dylan was a better liar than him and better hiding feelings.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
maninthebox

Contribution Points : 99477
Forum Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: If Eric had read Dylan's journal?   If Eric had read Dylan's journal? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 8:40 pm

I wonder if he would have been surprised by how depressed Dylan was. No-one in his life seemed to be aware of his depression. I guess we could all see how good he was at pretending in the Breakfast run video. With Eric there was no reason for him to pretend
Back to top Go down
Mj2beat

PostSubject: Re: If Eric had read Dylan's journal?   If Eric had read Dylan's journal? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 9:46 pm

maninthebox wrote:
I wonder if he would have been surprised by how depressed Dylan was. No-one in his life seemed to be aware of his depression. I guess we could all see how good he was at pretending in the Breakfast run video. With Eric there was no reason for him to pretend

Eric wasnt in The Breakfast Run video and I think that Eric was aware of Dylan's depression because he was depress too but I dont think he was aware of his love frustration and how depressed he was feeling for that. And remember that in front of their friends and everybody, both pretended with each other and everyone else except when they were both alone.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
em81

Contribution Points : 101224
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: If Eric had read Dylan's journal?   If Eric had read Dylan's journal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Mj2beat wrote:
maninthebox wrote:

Eric wasnt in The Breakfast Run video and I think that Eric was aware of Dylan's depression because he was depress too but I dont think he was aware of his love frustration and how depressed he was feeling for that. And remember that in front of their friends and everybody, both pretended with each other and everyone else except when they were both alone.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
maninthebox

Contribution Points : 99477
Forum Reputation : 8

PostSubject: Re: If Eric had read Dylan's journal?   If Eric had read Dylan's journal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Mj2beat wrote:
maninthebox wrote:

I meant Dylan was good at pretending in the video. If I didn't know, I wouldn't never have guessed that this guy was going to blow up a school in 1 day. So I'm not surprised even his family and close friends didn't feel it.
Back to top Go down
Mj2beat

PostSubject: Re: If Eric had read Dylan's journal?   If Eric had read Dylan's journal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 7:03 pm

maninthebox wrote:
Mj2beat wrote:
maninthebox wrote:

I meant Dylan was good at pretending in the video. If I didn't know, I wouldn't never have guessed that this guy was going to blow up a school in 1 day. So I'm not surprised even his family and close friends didn't feel it.

Yes he was very good pretending in front of everyone but I think that Eric was really aware of his depression, probably he was the only person to know it, otherwise they wouldn't planned something like NBK together, both had to know each other's rage, what each other hated of the society and their depression, maybe not in a direct way but they had to know that too..

tellecat likes this post

Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 120353
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: If Eric had read Dylan's journal?   If Eric had read Dylan's journal? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2023 3:29 pm

Guest wrote:
Would Eric have felt hurt when he read the part where Dylan seemed to be saying he wasn't going to wait until NBK and that he was just going to off himself before then?

Maybe, but I also feel he would've been alarmed. If he co-conspirator is so suicidal that he's talking about blowing his brain out way before the planned date then I think Eric would've been worried about the potential for discovery in the aftermath of Dylan's hypothetical suicide.

Guest wrote:
And do you think Eric would have been offended if he read about Dylan saying "oh gawd" as in maybe he didn't want to do NBK with Eric at all?

I think so actually. The reaction would probably be unintentionally funny and come across as jilted.

tellecat likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If Eric had read Dylan's journal?   If Eric had read Dylan's journal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If Eric had read Dylan's journal?
Page 1 of 1