Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan

Go down 
+3
Fatheroftwo
radaddio
Sabratha
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97715
Forum Reputation : 440

A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Empty
PostSubject: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 4:28 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Never knew about this before.

Captain DiManna, a SWAT team veteran who in 1999 was 47 years old and already 26 years on the force was wounded during the shooting. His wound was by all acounts superficial - "a chunk of shrapnel gouged his cheek when the killers tossed a bomb his way", but this makes me think somewhat differently about the event.

Before I was mostly convinced that the police moved very slowly, engaged inly in a vry long-range firefight and in short did not try to get up close. If this SWAT guy was close enough to get wounded in the cheek by a pipebomb fragment, then this might be evidence that there was a failed (or called-off at the last moment) SWAT attempt to close in with the killers.

The article mentions that he got wounded when he went near the entrance to drag Rachel Scott (who was probably deceased by the time) away from the school. I find this somewhat doubtfull given the timeline of the shooting. Unless teh bomb was thrown from above and this happened at the same time when E&D were shooting at the student who was trying to drag Marie-Ann Hohchalter away to safety.

Before I was also under the impression that Eric and Dylan never got anywhere near of beng a danger to the police. A cheek wound now sounds somewhat lucky, a centimeter or two off the mark and the shrapnel coud have caused serious injury to the officer if it had hit im square in the face.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
radaddio

Contribution Points : 83540
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 4:38 pm

It would make sense. Gardner engaged Eric from less than 200 feet away when they exchanged fire. Also, one of the police mentioned feeling "heat/concussion" from a bomb blast inside the cafeteria. At the time, they were positioned on the hill outside trying to evac students to a safer location. The feeling of exposure by being so close to the large array of windows led them to change their approach. But, when you get right down to it, that whole outside area doesn't really encompass that much space.

In general, I think that we won't get every LE movement down completely. Frankly, I surprised that we have this much data on the timeline.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 5:11 pm

Sabratha wrote:

Never knew about this before.

Captain DiManna, a SWAT team veteran who in 1999 was 47 years old and already 26 years on the force was wounded during the shooting. His wound was by all acounts superficial - "a chunk of shrapnel gouged his cheek when the killers tossed a bomb his way", but this makes me think somewhat differently about the event.

Before I was mostly convinced that the police moved very slowly, engaged inly in a vry long-range firefight and in short did not try to get up close. If this SWAT guy was close enough to get wounded in the cheek by a pipebomb fragment, then this might be evidence that there was a failed (or called-off at the last moment) SWAT attempt to close in with the killers.

The article mentions that he got wounded when he went near the entrance to drag Rachel Scott (who was probably deceased by the time) away from the school. I find this somewhat doubtfull given the timeline of the shooting. Unless teh bomb was thrown from above and this happened at the same time when E&D were shooting at the student who was trying to drag Marie-Ann Hohchalter away to safety.

Before I was also under the impression that Eric and Dylan never got anywhere near of beng a danger to the police. A cheek wound now sounds somewhat lucky, a centimeter or two off the mark and the shrapnel coud have caused serious injury to the officer if it had hit im square in the face.

youtube.com/watch?v=39EG_sL-nV4

I believe this is what you are referring to. Sorry for the copy and paste. I would post a link but I am not allowed to for a certain number of days here.... and yes I don't remember any mention of this event in the reconstruction or anywhere other than this video. The swat member was "peppered" with debris in the face.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 6:06 pm

Yeah the youtube link has an interview with the SWAT guy in question.

Still, this is somewhat news to me. I previously did not realiz ethat police officers in this event got anywhere near danger. This guy at least did and he could have made a dfference had Rachel bee still alive.

Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

Contribution Points : 83388
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 3:44 am

Pretty sure he was hit when they rescued Mark Taylor
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 98669
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 11:09 am

Fatheroftwo wrote:
That sounds about right. I remember Mark saying in an interview that the one thing that sticks out for him that day (obviously apart from his injuries) was when he was in the armored truck and hearing bullets strike the exterior of the vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Fatheroftwo wrote:

In the video interview it is stated taht he go injured when they were going for Rachel's body.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 5:39 pm

Wasn't a pipe bomb tossed from the propped open side door of the library? I seem to vaguely remember this.
Back to top Go down
deathmedic

Contribution Points : 101999
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 2:42 am

Interesting one I have not seen before
They were the sweetest if they liked you but if not watch your back
And they were always fighting
Why is this the first I have heard of this? Am I not as knowledgeable as I think on Columbine?

Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 1:02 pm

deathmedic wrote:
Interesting one I have not seen before
They were the sweetest if they liked you but if not watch your back
And they were always fighting
Why is this the first I have heard of this? Am I not as knowledgeable as I think on Columbine?

Its one of the early media-frenzy vids it seems. Much of the info (them fighting with clubs and knives before) is obviously boloney.

Back to top Go down
lasttrain

Contribution Points : 102313
Forum Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 8:08 am

Can someone clarify exactly how this alleged pipe bomb was delivered into the officer's vicinity? Through a window?
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Contribution Points : 86782
Forum Reputation : 70

PostSubject: Re: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 11:01 am

He mentions his son Jeff alot who was inside the school at the time, and apparently Jeff had a girlfriend who was shot at least 3 times in the arm. I wonder who that was?

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 1:48 am

Falcolus wrote:
He mentions his son Jeff alot who was inside the school at the time, and apparently Jeff had a girlfriend who was shot at least 3 times in the arm. I wonder who that was?

Jeanna Park

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan   A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A policeman was injured during the fire exchange with Eric and Dylan
Page 1 of 1