Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer

Go down 
+5
sororityalpha
radaddio
Draw_It_White
Wideawake
Sabratha
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97715
Forum Reputation : 440

Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Empty
PostSubject: Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer   Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 2:25 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Well, its a rare case. A female spree killer. Olga Hepnarová was a Czech woman, who in 1974 rented a huge Praga RN lorry and then purposely, at high speed, drove into a group of 25 people waiting at a tram stop in Prague. 8 people died, 12 others badly injured. Olga was 22 years old at the time.

If we look at her case closely, we will actually see some similar themes we know so well from more modern spree killers. Hepnarova sometimes sounds eerily like Eric Harris, sometimes a bit like Cho.

"I am physically average, am healthy, have white skin and do not seemingly differ from other people. But I am unique" she said.

She was not absued as a kid and she herself stated that she was raised in a "good family'. Generally she stated that she has issues with how society treated her as a teenager and a young adult, though she did claim that her parents always prefered her older sister over her. (Kevin Harris syndrome?)

She did have behavioral problems as a teen, had to be moved from one school to the next. Her classmates disliked and feared her. She was given nicknames like "She-dragon", "Tarzan", "Stone Flower", "Broken angel". She would run away from school many times. She became distant from her parents, who were generally described as cold stand-offfish people already. She was socially isolated, partly ebcause people didn't like her, partially a loner by her own choice.

When she was 13 yeas old, she tried to commit suicide by pill overdose. She was sent to a psychiatric ward for childeren for some time. She would later state: "In a few centuries people will coem and see this place, just like people today tour medieval torture chambers". Other inmates would attack and beat her badly. She tried to escape, but was caught and bought back by orderlies.

This is when she "realized the futility of psychiatry" in her own words and firmly aimed her anger at society and the world she lived in. This was a clearly external-oriented killer, like Eric Harris and not (suprisingly) like Cho or Dylan.

in 1970, four years before the spree killing, she set fire to a summer cottage of her parents.

Then she spent 4 years studying to be an artist making and designing book covers. She did not have any issues with her superiors. One of her colleagues later stated that "She had a way of making people apologize for the fact that the world is not as it should be". People also recalled she could "float away" and get lost in her own thoughts at times.

People later recalled that he favorite passtimes were reading and driving her Trabant car. She would read pscyhological and psychiatric books, but also Sartre, Nezval, Rilke or Graham Greene. Greene's "The Quiet American" was said to be her favorite book.

She loved her car and atsoem point she purchased an old human skull from a medical student, she then installed a ligth bulb into it and ised it as a lamp inside her car. There were rumors that she is homosexual, but this was never substantiated.

Then in 1973, she sold the small house she lived in, moved to Prague. On the 9yh of July 1973, she took herTrabant car to an edge of a cliff and pushed it over. She then sent letters to several news agencies. Then she paid to rent a truck and drove into that group of people.

Let me offer a loose translation of one fo the statements from the leters to teh news agencies:

"Please accept this letter as a testimony. This is my statement. I - Olga Hepnarová, a victim of your cruel brutality, sentence you to death by being ran over. I declare that X of your lives is still not enough for my single life..."

Sounds like Cho's manifesto here, no?

To the police that arrived she declared clearly that she did it on purpose. She was ready for jail, she had extra clothes with her and a supply of cigarettes. She did not try to flee from the scene, as she knew she'd get a death sentence.

No traces of Alcochol or drugs were found in her system. She was not foudn to be delusional or obviously mentally ill in any way.

"I was certain I killed many people. I felt satisfied at completing this task sucessfully" (...) "I felt pushed around in my life. I wanted to make society realize that there's a lot of us push-overs just here nearby, I felt I must make this known (...) I wanted to make you pay, to make society realize that we need to be treated seriously. I am the speaker for all push-overs."

Psychologist who examined her after the event noticed her emotional coldness, something which we today would describe as "flat affect". Psychologists and policement realized that the atatcked was being planned for a very long time, this was not a person who just snapped.

Olga testified that she planned for a long time. Her first plan was to derail a train, then she planned to go to a high roof and shoot at people with a sniper rifle. She joined a sports-shooting group at some point, but gave that up as she realized getting a good sniper rifle would not be possible.

At the end of teh trial she again epeated that she made this on purpose. That she wanted people to notice, the world to know what went on. ("I want to leave a lasting impression on the world" - Eric Harris). After being asked if she regrets anythign, she replied: "Oh yes. Not killing more victims". She also stated that she'd do it again if she could.

On April 6th 1974, she was sentenced to death. She thanked the court and stated she would not make an appeal. Her mother tried to make an appeal in vain however. On march 12 1975, she was hanged, before the event she tried to fight with the oficials leadign ehr to the gallows, she even broke a finger of one of them. She was the last woman in czechoslovakia to be executed by the law.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland

Last edited by Sabratha on Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer   Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 8:04 am

Dug up a few more Olga quotes:

"If society has the right to destroy an individual, then the individual has the right to strike back at society"

"I'm a loner. I have a choice - kill myself or kill others. I choose revenge. A quiet suicide would be the easy way out".

In other news, There's a Polish-Czech-Slovakian feature film about Olga being made, it should be released this year, probably just months or weeks from now. And no, SILKRAT was not involved (though we'd probably be thrilled to do so).

BTW... replying to my own posts? WTF? Travis Chimp thread vibes...

Back to top Go down
Wideawake

Wideawake

Contribution Points : 101926
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer   Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 7:52 pm

She's very pretty. Definitely an unusual case. And I do think the quotes you've posted sound like things Eric said or would have said.
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 98143
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer   Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 6:27 am

Is it true that the executioner quit his job after this because this girl fainted, attacked people, vommed and defecated herself in the buildup to her hanging?
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer   Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 11:35 am

Radioactive_Clothing wrote:
Is it true that the executioner quit his job after this because this girl fainted, attacked people, vommed and defecated herself in the buildup to her hanging?

There's a lot of myths and speculation what she did before the execution. I doubt she fainted, as its certainly true she fought the guards and one of the guards had a broken finger as a result.

The real executioner afaik did not quit. There's a fictional execustioner in some popular Czech book that quits after a case like that of Hepnarova, but that's a fictional story.

Back to top Go down
radaddio

Contribution Points : 83540
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer   Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 8:33 am

I find it fascinating that gun control both worked in this instance, yet still failed to prevent killings from taking place. From her history, this woman was bent on killing people to the point of it affecting her hobbies and much of her free time.

Was she from a wealthy family? You mention that she burned down her family's summer cottage.
Back to top Go down
radaddio

Contribution Points : 83540
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer   Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 8:36 am

Okay, so it looks like her mother was a dentist and her father was a bank clerk. I'm assuming wealthy parents then.

Also, she slowly strangled to death when she was hanged. In the USA, execution by gallows usually involved a drop of a couple of meters to break the condemned person's neck.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 124184
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer   Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 8:25 pm

Interesting case.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Back to top Go down
AD 19-95

Contribution Points : 45219
Forum Reputation : 75

PostSubject: Re: Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer   Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Last edited by AD 19-95 on Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carnifex879
Hayden Jagst
Former Top 10 Contributor

Carnifex879

Contribution Points : 68372
Forum Reputation : 391
Location : Gretchen Whitler's People's Republic of "The Mitten"

PostSubject: Re: Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer   Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2019 7:25 am

I’ve been looking for who this woman’s name was for a long time. I heard about the incident but forgot who did it. Thank you very much for posting.

OcularOrbs

Contribution Points : 45253
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer   Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2019 7:52 pm

I hadnt realized there was so much information about her. Did you get some of this from the book regarding her? I'd wanted to read it, until I realized it would just be a jumble of Czech to me.
Back to top Go down
Watcher

Contribution Points : 24423
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer   Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 8:17 am

She's my absolute favourite. I really enjoy when the killers are so completely self-aware and honest about their motives.

This quote is particularly great:
"If society has the right to destroy an individual, then the individual has the right to strike back at society"

Shows mass killing as a sort of an individual implementation of the Mutually Assured Destruction doctrine.

Another quote:
“Since I already assigned myself the right to issue sentence on people and lowered myself to role of their executioner, I consider it my duty to explain the living what led me to it or rather what could lead other individuals to reach for the solution that I have reached.

It’s logical. Human O. was attacked. If they are attacked by one person, let’s say P., they are capable of defending themselves. They are also capable of defending themselves if they are attacked by two or three next persons, persons P. But if they are atttacked by group C, composed of 20 persons - they aren’t capable of defending themselves. And if O. is attacked by group C and persons P on every occasion, day after day, what are their chances for surival? Probably those of a Greenland seal against hunters. Please imagine what would happen if the seal would take weapon of its killers and was capable of using it. I think it would press the trigger and shoot them all like ducks. And what does human O. do? They do the same because towards group C is as defenceless as the seal.

That’s exactly my case. With the difference that seal lives among other seals, while I have never met another seal, human O1. I know that there exist similar people in the world, humans O1 who deal with the same terror. Maybe only one day, one while but not whole life like me. I think though that there are really people O1, 2, 3, 4, 5, people harmed, I think I’m not alone and it is for them that I do and say all that. It’s what’s important, not if I will live or not.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer   Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Olga Hepnarová - female spree killer
Page 1 of 1