Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97565
Forum Reputation : 440

Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton? Empty
PostSubject: Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton?   Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Question - Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton?

I just want to know. Its puzzling and google didn't explain it to me.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 150615
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton?   Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 5:27 pm

Why not?

Why bother asking why?

A word is a sound that means whatever we want it to mean ... Yogananda might as well be Wakawanda.

Who among us has the right to say what streets "should" or should not be called?

I don't know why ... it is kind of weird. Very Happy

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton?   Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 5:33 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
Why not?

Why bother asking why?

A word is a sound that means whatever we want it to mean ... Yogananda might as well be Wakawanda.

Who among us has the right to say what streets "should" or should not be called?

well, I assume it has something to do with this guy:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
19th century Bengali Yoga mystic and philosopher, famous for combining elements of yoga, buddhism and hinuism into a philosophical concept now known usually as karma yoga.

My point is: what is this guy doing with a street named after him, in a suburban white connecticut area of all places?

When I first read about SH, I thought "Yogananada" was teh anem of the building and taht Nancy probably bought it from some old yoga nut and was too lazy to get the named changed. But no, turs out its a name of the whole street. Why? Why a street like that in CT?

Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton?   Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Sabratha wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:
Why not?

Why bother asking why?

19th century Bengali Yoga mystic and philosopher, famous for combining elements of yoga, buddhism and hinuism into a philosophical concept now known usually as karma yoga.

My point is: what is this guy doing with a street named after him, in a suburban white connecticut area of all places?

Do you know how many wealthy whites are into crackpot philosophies?

Look at Steve Jobs - he was diagnosed with cancer far earlier than most folks are, but he thought that he could cure himself by eating fruit and thinking good thoughts. Now he's dead...
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton?   Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 5:52 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
Sabratha wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:
Why not?

Why bother asking why?

Look at Steve Jobs - he was diagnosed with cancer far earlier than most folks are, but he thought that he could cure himself by eating fruit and thinking good thoughts. Now he's dead...

Yeah that was my point. But there must have been a whole group of such crackpots there soem time ago to have the whole street named like this. that's why I was surprised its a whole street, not just one building.

Was there a hippie yoga community there back in the Haight-Ashbury days? I would like to know about this, what is the past history of Newton in this regard?

Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton?   Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2015 6:07 pm

Sabratha wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:
Sabratha wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:
Why not?

Why bother asking why?

Yeah that was my point. But there must have been a whole group of such crackpots there soem time ago to have the whole street named like this. that's why I was surprised its a whole street, not just one building.

Was there a hippie yoga community there back in the Haight-Ashbury days? I would like to know about this, what is the past history of Newton in this regard?

You are not the first to wonder why:

"Students of Vedanta society decided to establish a retreat site for students of Vedanta. Accordingly a plot of 370 acres was bought in the Berkshire Connecticut. The Berkshire Retreat was duly inaugurated by Swami Abhedananda in March 1907, and he remarked, “The Ashrama looks like Fairyland.”

"Berkshire's just a mile and a half from Sandy Hook, I'm guessing there's your connection."
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton?   Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2015 4:42 am

Wow 1907? Wow.

And tehre I was thinking it probably just goes back to 1969 and hippies.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton?   Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Q: Why do they have a Yogananda street in Newton?
Page 1 of 1