Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Ask an Aspie!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duskstareblazeithappypone

PostSubject: Ask an Aspie!   Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:07 pm

Hey there! My name is Dusk and in the 1'st grade i was diagnosed with ADHD And Aspergers syndrome and something N.O.S (Not otherwise specified) All of which i find i fit the criteria for! I decided to start this topic just to kind of kickstart this topic board and.. Yeah. Just ask me anything that you'd like to about what It's like living with Aspergers and i will certainly give the best answer that i can! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:23 pm

Also... Let me know if this is breaking any rules.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Extanil

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:59 pm

Whats the most difficult thing to deal with?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I'm not entirely sure, Maybe the random mood swings and emotional instability, As well as the fact that i can rarely pick up on sarcasm and the majority of my friends think aspergers and autism are the exact same thing and i get mocked for it at times but rarely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Extanil

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:23 pm

Thanks for answering my question.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:56 pm

If you look at Adam Lanza, do you see anything particularly aspie about him? Or austism spectrum related in general?

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:00 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], I'm not entirely sure, I do see the whole maybe anti social attitude and not liking to be touched or be the center or attention kind of thing and i understand the social anxiety issues and stuff, But other than that I'm not entirely sure honestly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grandma

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:18 am

Hi Dusk,
is it difficult for you to classify facial expressions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:17 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], To some extent, It's sometimes difficult for me to tell when people don't wanna talk and also I VERY rarely ever pick up on sarcasm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dataverse

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:38 am

Hi there.

Do you find yourself being cast out of society? Stereotyped as being someone incapable of "functioning normally"? It has happened to me all my life. An example of this would be chatting to a girl you fancy, asking her out on a date, only to be turned down with the primary excuse being; "oh but he's autistic and I want an over-confident jock instead!" These people force us into a void of loneliness, and a lot of the time I feel like I don't even have a choice. I ask this because it happened to me recently, about two weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:35 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], Actually, Yes. I actually forgot i had aspergers for the longest time but Whenever I've told someone rarely if like they ever got mad at me they would call me things like an autistic retard and say that I was not as smart as they were and stuff. I get highly offended at jokes about autism and i do find it hard to fit in with the normal crowd my age, I actually get along better with people older than me than i do people my age.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:29 pm

Is Sheldon off Big Bang meant to have aspergers? He seems to have the non touching, can't detect sarcasm thing going on that you describe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:18 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], I'm not entirely sure as I have never seen that show, Though those do sound like two defining characteristics from what I know about aspergers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nightshiftstalker

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:17 pm

daniel tammet from uk dealing with us

with zou o zooooohh

clarisssa explains all hailkus herself at all 4 SAM HI / nuh uh ...

ferguson like

GREETY sa me hante s

greetz
stan harris c00per

uhm . . .

stanlez harris c00per

(Unser Platz, Prinz Pi, Kompass ohne Norden)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], Oh.. Well hi to you too! I've seen you post a bit around the forum but ehh.. I'm not sure how to answer that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nightshiftstalker

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:30 pm

yo,

got it, i guess, yo.
anyways - thanks for recognizin' me.

greetz
nightshiftstalker

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], XP
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archvile

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:41 pm

I've noticed that a lot of people with Asperger's/Autism seem to find interest in Eric and Dylan, not the murder part, but the whole feeling of not being able to fit in, and being more self-aware than those around them. What do you think it is about Eric and Dylan's lives that people on this spectrum seem to pick up on and relate to?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:35 pm

Hmm, I myself looking up to them and being able to relate to them could be a good example. I believe it's just how interesting they are, The fact that there was such a perfect circumstance for them to do what they did, Along with the fact that they seemed to be mildly bullied and or teased (At least eric), And as people with aspergers have social problems, I think it's also very much the fact that they were outcasts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archvile

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:53 am

Thanks for the response, I defiantly see how people who are bullied and have social issues can relate to Eric and Dylan, they were both bullied a lot and Dylan was a very shy dude who talked more in his diary than he ever did out loud, Devon Adams and Brooks Brown's family both said that Dylan was the shyest person they ever met and that he didn't really know how to communicate with people very well, unless the subject was something that interested him which he then would open up and talk about and would find things funny that other people find inappropriate which both of these are very very similar to people on this spectrum and Eric could never adjust to people no matter how he tried, which began to make him resent people, he also saw the world in a different way to everyone else which aggravated him, which is also very similar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:03 pm

Yeah. Us people with aspergers tend to dwell on our emotions a lot i believe, Not to mention we process and feel emotions differently than others so yeah. It's hard to tell at times what We're feeling, But i definitely believe them being outcasts is a large part of why people with high functioning autism tend to find interest in them. Also possibly the fact that i believe we tend to focus on the smallest details.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nightshiftstalker

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:56 pm

Duskstareblazeithappypone - just what I thought. thread sneaker complaint Idea No Suspect

greetz
Stanley Harris Cooper

aka

NightshiftSTALKER

;D

Back to top Go down
View user profile
astrospace92

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:31 am

Hello,

My therapist thinks that I'm an aspie as was failed to be diagnosed as a child.
As an adult I don't know how the diagnostic or treatment process works.

Do you think it's worth pursuing a potential diagnosis?

I've been diagnosed with other personality disorders but I'm just not sure I agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
explicit
Permanently Banned

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Thu May 19, 2016 10:22 am

I was diagnosed with Aspergers and possible ADHD in 2013, but I was suspected to have it from the age of 8 onwards. I think that's probably one of the reasons why I have such an interest in Eric and Dylan. I have never been able to fit in, and I doubt I ever will be able to. I've pretty much just given up trying, and I just do my own thing and spend time with people who won't judge me for that. Sorry that I'm posting in an old thread, just thought it was interesting to see another Aspie on here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
seether

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:35 pm

I'll add myself, since I see there's a fairly recent reply! I'm high-functioning autistic. (HFA) They've removed the Asperger's diagnosis, so everyone is now officially on some level of the autism spectrum, although I can see why most would feel comfortable just going with the label they've always had. I've had a bit more obvious symptoms than most Aspies I've ever met, and it was very noticeable in my childhood, and doctors did suggest a diagnosis more than once. However, in the 1980s, "autism" was synonymous with words like "institution" and "doomed" and "retarded", so my parents refused to ever have me properly diagnosed. I only found out when I was an adult, and was worried that my toddler might be autistic. When I went over lists of symptoms, I was shocked and confused, and my mother admitted to my medical history - it did make sense of some appointments and arguments that I can recall witnessing as a child (my child did have severe autism). I kind of did my own behavior therapy, growing up, without realizing it; like a lot of people on the spectrum, I knew that I didn't fit in, and I studied people closely to see what it was that didn't line up and what adjustments I could make to various aspects of my behavior.

Bullying, not fitting in, being socially awkward - those were reasons why I felt connected to Dylan and Eric as soon as I heard about Columbine.

I really am not sure what to say about Adam Lanza. I do see things that make me think "Asperger's or HFA", but I don't feel like that's something that is a huge part of what happened. Of course, I understand how it might have caused issues for him, on a social level, mostly, but I hear people going on about how he must have been autistic because he was crazy, "retarded", evil, etc. etc. - all of these things that have nothing to do with autism, and everything to do with mental illness, and serious problems in one's personal life (and upbringing, I believe, to a degree, in his case). My problem is when people have focused on the possibility as a negative, to paint a picture of him; he certainly appeared to be very intelligent, motivated to learning (even if it was about some pretty disturbing stuff at times), and certainly very capable of plotting and planning, which could be attributed in part to an ASD, but the public just seems to want to focus on "crazy, evil and stupid", and attribute that to an ASD. Maybe it's just having something solid to blame it on, who knows, but the whole topic really irritates me.

ANYHOW... *waves to fellow ASD members*
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:50 pm

I hope ya'll don't mind me asking a few questions of you, as my son has Autism and there are some things I have been wondering as I try to understand and see life through his eyes. I'm not trying to come off as being offensive, and I'm not really good at wording things so I hope you will forgive me if I do.

On stimming - my son does this. He paces back and forth and sucks air through his teeth while flapping 2 action figures in his hands. Is there a purpose to this (i.e. is it something akin to stress relief )? And if so, what is it ?
Back to top Go down
seether

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:06 pm

Not sure about everyone else, but ask away and I'll try to help!

Stimming definitely is a question that I think even parents on the spectrum wonder about at times - it can present as really odd and obscure ways that take a while to recognize as stimming. Personally, for myself and my kids, stimming is something that can relieve stress, but also can relieve boredom, fear, fatigue, ADHD symptoms (I stim when doing monotonous tasks, and did constantly in school, usually in subtle ways like twiddling objects in my hands, or more annoying ways, like jiggling my knee for hours), and help contain even positive feelings that can feel overwhelming, like happiness or excitement.

Does he always use the same action figures, or at least the same type? The need for sameness is a common trait, but something that we can sometimes overcome, if it gets to be a problem, or even just learn to adapt slightly. It's definitely a security thing, most of the time, but there are also things like muscle tension. It could be that these things stretch or hold his muscles in a way that he likes, or they give him something predictable to literally cling to, when he's feeling the need for that. I always carried a book, and sometimes a small stuffed animal. Something subtle, but enough to make me feel grounded. I still feel vulnerable when my hands are empty; holding something tends to give me a safe feeling, like I have a literal grasp on things, if that makes sense?

Flapping is a repetitive behavior that can be soothing, just like someone twirling their hair or fidgeting in some other little way. Sometimes, it helps to relieve energy and/or tension/physical stress that can be overwhelming and even scary. My middle child was quite a flapper, but as a preteen, he rarely does it. He's found ways to express himself, through art and creating things, and he has also become much more verbal, and his stimming has dropped dramatically. He still paces when angry or very nervous, which can get annoying, but he's learning to kind of redirect that. My youngest is still having great difficulty with speech and articulation, so he can be quite destructive and wild. Do you mind me asking how old your son is, and what his level of functioning is, roughly?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:18 pm

I don't mind at all. My son is 15. He is high functioning, but he struggles with expressing himself verbally, though that has improved over the years.

He uses the same 2 action figures each time, though the figures have changed with his maturity level. When he was 6, it was Buzz Lightyear , these days, it's G.I. Joe . I've been trying to keep an eye on his environment to see if I can figure out what seems to trigger it, but so far, I'm baffled.

Back to top Go down
seether

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:47 pm

I've found that as my son gets older, his triggers are often more of a mystery. He's hitting puberty, and I'm sure you've noticed that boys on the spectrum take that whole thing to strange new levels! It is a positive sign of progress, that his action figures have sort of grown with him. My son seems like a typical preteen guy sometimes, and other times, he is very immature and childlike. While he's expanded his interests, he rarely really outgrows anything - I'm fairly similar, but my interests were always more beyond my age range, for the most part. I'm told that's typical for girls on the spectrum, so it's difficult to relate to him as a fellow autistic in some ways, as he gets older.

Does he go to school outside the home? That can be a hit and a miss, in finding staff who help notice things. There was a student who was hugely annoying to my son, and another who bullied him a fair bit; while the bullying was handled, the other kid was a problem because we saw nothing unusual and my son couldn't explain it. It seemed like the kid annoyed him just by breathing and talking. Then it clicked that that was actually it. The other boy was on the spectrum, and younger. His echolalia and little stimming habits were hitting many of my son's buttons. Things like that really suck, because what can you do? It's about helping the kids understand the situation, and then helping to develop skills to defuse or cope with the situation, which can be so frustrating and difficult.

Does he have any digestive issues? It seems to be mostly a thing of the past here, but constipation was my nemesis for years. I had a kid who was a total jerk, at best, until the issue was resolved. Then I had a sort of mellow kid for a couple of days, until things would (literally) start to build up once again. I've had terrible acid reflux my entire life. We've had problems with yeast that were invisible for the longest time. One sign of yeast or food sensitivities is "burning tongue syndrome", which I can describe, from my own experience, as feeling like the worst pizza burn ever, or someone removing the taste buds and top layer of skin from your tongue.

There are SO many triggers. I feel like a detective most of the time, figuring out what's triggering them (the youngest is 5), and what's bothering me. Using a new brand of light bulb can drive me crazy. I love them more than life itself, but it's one hell of a ride!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ask an Aspie!   Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:09 pm

He is currently homeschooled. We had issues with bullying and some teachers who were passing him whether he knew the material or not. I pulled him out in 5th grade when one of his teachers was kind enough to let me know that the school he attended was not providing the aide as required by his IEP. He didn't even have basic knowledge of the difference between a noun and a verb because his teachers were passing him with straight A's even if they were unearned. His teacher at the time didn't do that and when I raised questions as to why my son's grades had dropped so drastically, I was told that it was because he couldn't do the work. I was furious when I realized what had really been happening. His education has improved since I'm able to work on a one on one basis with him and use a different approach when needed.

He did have digestive issues at one time, constipation, and a change to his diet seems to help that. As he's gotten older, he is eating a wider variety of foods and that seems to make a difference since he used to prefer grilled cheese sandwiches and chips over anything I cooked.

He has never complained of his tongue hurting, but he does have what's called a geographic tongue. Patches of his tongue are raised a little bit higher than others.

Back to top Go down

Ask an Aspie!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Miscellaneous :: Mental Health-
Jump to: