Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay?

Go down 
+2
Sabratha
LPorter101
6 posters
AuthorMessage
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151470
Forum Reputation : 2754

Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay? Empty
PostSubject: Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay?   Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 1:58 am

Were Eric and Dylan not, in both absolute and relative terms, better off than most teenagers in this world, and in this country, and maybe even in the Denver metropolitan area?

Certainly they were better off than I was when I was their age. I had no car, awful acne, and a mother who wouldn't even let me go into the backyard without her permission.

And yet they were not only suicidal but homicidal.

Were they not somewhat ... ungrateful?

Is anyone *not* entitled to his or her unhappiness?
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97892
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay?   Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 5:41 am

They (especially Dylan) were better off financially. Certainly more than an average european teenager.

Compariong to just white american populations? Again, Dylan had it better than most. Eric would come closer to the average as afar as white USA middle class goes.

But this aside, suicidal thoughts are not linked with material wealth. Poverty can be one of the reasons why someone is depessed, but its in no way the only or necessary reason.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Nirvana92

Nirvana92

Contribution Points : 83464
Forum Reputation : 80

PostSubject: Re: Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay?   Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 2:27 pm

Both boys did come from good backgrounds. Their families lived comfortable lives. Eric hated materialism though and Dylan just wanted someone to love. Money doesn't buy happiness and can end up making things worse. Sabratha is right, suicidal thoughts also have nothing to do with wealth and status.
Back to top Go down
Gustopoet2

Gustopoet2

Contribution Points : 82540
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay?   Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 3:24 pm

I agree with Sabratha and Nirvana here totally.

Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 96816
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay?   Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 12:56 am

They probably were somewhat ungrateful but I believe many people, maybe even most people in the Western world are ungrateful in some shape or form.
How many times as a kid did you complain about something only to have an adult say "Be glad you aren't a starving kid in Africa."
Often people want the best and most possible of anything that exists and are disappointed and bitter if they don't or can't get it.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 119033
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay?   Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 2:36 am

They may have been a bit ungrateful and took how nice they had it for granted. Neither one of them really seemed materialistic to me though. They both drove around in old/used cars, didn't have a lot of expensive clothes, etc. They both worked to earn money for the things they wanted. It's not like everything was just handed to them.

But..they were mentally sick and mental illness doesn't care who you are. You could have a ton of money or have nothing. Something was not right with the wiring of their brains. People that aren't mentally sick don't sit around wishing for death and planning to shoot up their schools. I think that no matter what they had or where they came from it wouldn't matter. It wasn't going to change how their minds were.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay?   Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ungrateful brutes? Brutish ingrates? Spoiled brats? Yea or nay?
Page 1 of 1