Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is Dave Sanders responsible?

Go down 
+3
Sabratha
LPorter101
John Denver
7 posters
AuthorMessage
John Denver

Contribution Points : 81066
Forum Reputation : 0

Is Dave Sanders responsible? Empty
PostSubject: Is Dave Sanders responsible?   Is Dave Sanders responsible? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 10:57 pm

I kind of hate to ask your opinion on this, because Dave Sanders is a victim, and he also is probably the only one you can call a hero of that day.

But is he partially responsible for Columbine?

I mean that he was a long-time teacher and a coach there, so definitely a sports-minded teacher and an authority in Columbine. So was he creating this infamous culture where the jocks could do what they want - making lives horrible for others, including E/D? Did Mr. Sanders turn away when he saw a jock harassing a non-athlete? Did he allow it to happen?

Do have any information on this?
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 150666
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Is Dave Sanders responsible?   Is Dave Sanders responsible? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 11:15 pm

No, not at all.

Dave Sanders coached the girls' basketball and softball teams.

LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Is Dave Sanders responsible?   Is Dave Sanders responsible? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2015 11:18 pm

"Mr. T" was the coach who allegedly allowed Rocky to insult Landon Jones and his girlfriend with the megaphone:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Two coaches who allegedly tolerated Rocky's bullying during the 1997/98 school year, and who defended him after the massacre were Andy Lowry (the football coach) and Craig Place (the wrestling coach):

Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97615
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Is Dave Sanders responsible?   Is Dave Sanders responsible? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 9:15 am

Unless one takes an "All school officials were responsible" or "anyone with any links to CHS sports is to blame" position (which I think is absurd) then the answer is: no he was not.

People forget he was first and foremost a business class teacher, coaching was a secondary thing on the side for him. Neither Eric or Dylan ever attended a class ran by him iirc.

Also he was never a school counselor, he was not the guy responsible for disciplinary actions on offending students etc. He was just a random teacher.

You need to ask former CHS students what kind of a person he was and if he was a fair teacher or if he supported bullies like Rocky or not. I never heard this about him, but I was not in CHS.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
lasttrain

Contribution Points : 102213
Forum Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: Is Dave Sanders responsible?   Is Dave Sanders responsible? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 11:21 am

LPorter101 wrote:
"Mr. T" was the coach who allegedly allowed Rocky to insult Landon Jones and his girlfriend with the megaphone:

Two coaches who allegedly tolerated Rocky's bullying during the 1997/98 school year, and who defended him after the massacre were Andy Lowry (the football coach) and Craig Place (the wrestling coach):

None of the coaches are responsible.

Eric and Dylan did not plan to murder 500 students because they were mad at Rocky Hoffschneider for insulting Landon Jones.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Is Dave Sanders responsible?   Is Dave Sanders responsible? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 12:01 pm

lasttrain wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:

None of the coaches are responsible.

Eric and Dylan did not plan to murder 500 students because they were mad at Rocky Hoffschneider for insulting Landon Jones.

You're putting words in my mouth.

My point was that, while there were coaches who contributed to the negative social atmosphere at Columbine, Dave Sanders was not among them.
Back to top Go down
Nirvana92

Nirvana92

Contribution Points : 83239
Forum Reputation : 80

PostSubject: Re: Is Dave Sanders responsible?   Is Dave Sanders responsible? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 12:17 pm

I've wondered before whether he was more partial to jocks and athletes, and if that could have played a part in why he was shot. Honestly though Dave Sanders comes across as someone who genuinely cared for all the students at Columbine. Even if he was part of the overall problem the fact that he ran through the halls that day warning kids would exonerate him IMO. He was a very brave man and the students were lucky he was in the cafeteria that day.
Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

Contribution Points : 83607
Forum Reputation : 135

PostSubject: Re: Is Dave Sanders responsible?   Is Dave Sanders responsible? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 4:37 pm

The only people responsible for Columbine were Eric and Dylan.

Other people may have fueled their anger, but only they made the bombs and picked up the guns.

Did they like Sanders though? I'm not sure, but I think that simply his involvement with sport didn't exactly work in his favour during NBK. TBH though, I think he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Gustopoet2

Contribution Points : 82315
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Is Dave Sanders responsible?   Is Dave Sanders responsible? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 4:43 pm

eli27 wrote:

Other people may have fueled their anger, but only they made the bombs and picked up the guns.

Did they like Sanders though? I'm not sure, but I think that simply his involvement with sport didn't exactly work in his favour during NBK. TBH though, I think he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Agree on all points but I think they may have hated any teacher at CHS.

Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97615
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Is Dave Sanders responsible?   Is Dave Sanders responsible? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 7:43 pm

Gustopoet2 wrote:
eli27 wrote:

Oh I can believe that they might have hated every teacher just for beign a teacher. Hating Sanders in specific more than any other teacher? Nope, taht's not believable.

My best bet though is taht they saw an adult running down the hallway and shot at moving target just becuase he was around.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

Contribution Points : 83607
Forum Reputation : 135

PostSubject: Re: Is Dave Sanders responsible?   Is Dave Sanders responsible? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 4:05 am

Gustopoet2 wrote:
eli27 wrote:

Oh yeah I agree. Let me refrase: Did they dislike him more than other teachers though?

PostSubject: Re: Is Dave Sanders responsible?   Is Dave Sanders responsible? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Dave Sanders responsible?
Page 1 of 1