Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Columbine: Always on your mind

Go down 
+5
PaintItBlack
lio45
aubre
LPorter101
paradisedreams
9 posters
AuthorMessage
paradisedreams

paradisedreams

Contribution Points : 84636
Forum Reputation : 0

Columbine: Always on your mind  Empty
PostSubject: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 5:36 pm

What a corny topic title.

Anyway.. Lately, I feel like Columbine has officially taken over my everyday thoughts. I've been at an amusement park since Thursday, and everywhere I look I see people who look like the victims & Dylan and Eric. Even my little sister who was ironically born 3 and a half weeks after Columbine happened, wore an outfit yesterday that looked almost exactly like what Rachel was said to be wearing when she was killed. She was wearing a black tank top, recently dyed her hair to that red, with a purple-ish tent, had a plaid shirt wrapped around her waist, same colored shoes. The only difference was that she was wearing shorts

In recent months, it's seems to be that I notice more people who resemble Eric, Danny R, Rachel, and Daniel Mauser the most. That always seems to be in rotation, though. And always such a weird thing to explain. Lol.

I know i'm not the only one, but i'm interested to know if any of would like to share your own experiences/stories?
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151445
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 9:26 pm

I know how you feel ... I have other things that I think about, but I think about these people I've never met far more than I should.

Some years ago, I corresponded with a teacher at the school who knew Rachel, Dylan, and Daniel. In retrospect, I realize that she was more than polite, answering some fairly personal questions. But, at the time, I was offended when she said, "Columbine has nothing to do with you." She also told me, basically, that I should get over it.

But now I see that she was right - it has nothing to do with me. It fascinates me, but it is not my tragedy.

She also said that, after the massacre, a bunch of people in the Denver area put bumper stickers on their cars: "We Are All Columbine." Apparently the teachers and the kids at the school resented it deeply. It was their tragedy - only they could know what it was like.

She said that the most offensive thing that people said to her was, "I understand." She gritted her teeth and bore it, but internally she seethed: "How the hell can you understand what it's like if you've never been through it?"

If I ever meet someone who had a personal connection to the massacre, I hope I have enough presence of mind to say, "I can never know or understand what it was like to be there, and I would never presume to tell you that I do ... but I do believe I can gain some kind of an understanding as to why it happened. That is my goal."

Contribution Points : 81843

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 10:12 pm

Oh yes, it's on my mind allot. I won't be thinking about it at all and then something will happen that will remind me. Like the other day driving home, I pass a Harris bank and sure enough I start thinking about Eric. Or whenever I see the words natural selection, not only does it remind me of them, I now see it as- for lack of a better word- intimidating? Plus a lot of songs remind me of it. So yeah it really is on my mind perhaps more than it should be.
Back to top Go down
lio45

Contribution Points : 85866

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 10:14 pm

What a coincidence -- yesterday I crossed paths with a guy who looked like Eric's twin! In demeanor as well.

I couldn't stop looking at him the whole time (I tried to be discreet)... I kept imagining I was looking at Eric (one didn't need much imagination for that). Was a weird feeling, but nice. Smile

Back to top Go down
lio45

Contribution Points : 85866

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 10:19 pm

Something else I sometimes find myself thinking is "okay, if this random person in this random place I happen to currently be decides to "pull a Columbine" and draws a gun, how should I react, where should I dive for cover, etc."

In other words: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
paradisedreams

paradisedreams

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 1:15 am

LPorter101 wrote:
I know how you feel ... I have other things that I think about, but I think about these people I've never met far more than I should.

Some years ago, I corresponded with a teacher at the school who knew Rachel, Dylan, and Daniel. In retrospect, I realize that she was more than polite, answering some fairly personal questions. But, at the time, I was offended when she said, "Columbine has nothing to do with you." She also told me, basically, that I should get over it.

But now I see that she was right - it has nothing to do with me. It fascinates me, but it is not my tragedy.

She also said that, after the massacre, a bunch of people in the Denver area put bumper stickers on their cars: "We Are All Columbine." Apparently the teachers and the kids at the school resented it deeply. It was their tragedy - only they could know what it was like.

She said that the most offensive thing that people said to her was, "I understand." She gritted her teeth and bore it, but internally she seethed: "How the hell can you understand what it's like if you've never been through it?"

If I ever meet someone who had a personal connection to the massacre, I hope I have enough presence of mind to say, "I can never know or understand what it was like to be there, and I would never presume to tell you that I do ... but I do believe I can gain some kind of an understanding as to why it happened. That is my goal."

Wow, that's completely different than most experiences. That's so true, though. We all imagine ourselves in that type of situation, but none of us could ever say "we know how you feel." Even with people who were in the school. No story is ever the same.

Thanks for sharing that.
Back to top Go down
paradisedreams

paradisedreams

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 1:40 am

lio45 wrote:
Something else I sometimes find myself thinking is "okay, if this random person in this random place I happen to currently be decides to "pull a Columbine" and draws a gun, how should I react, where should I dive for cover, etc."

In other words: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Same! I don't think there's a situation where I don't think about what i'd do or where/how I could possibly escape, if something like that ever happened, like you said. I mean, it's good to be aware of things like that, but at the same time it's really sad that it's got to the point where these thoughts are now almost considered 'normal'. In my opinion, there's no such thing as innocence anymore.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 96791
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 5:03 am

I think about E &D and the victims daily and have for a very long time.
It's been deep in my consciousness since it happened.
I also often think of the various families involved and what they went through and how they are doing today.
I think of E &D's families most often as I think they had it the worst and got little help or sympathy compared to the others.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
paradisedreams

paradisedreams

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 5:45 am

PaintItBlack wrote:
I think about E &D and the victims daily and have for a very long time.
It's been deep in my consciousness since it happened.
I also often think of the various families involved and what they went through and how they are doing today.
I think of E &D's families most often as I think they had it the worst and got little help or sympathy compared to the others.

I have sympathy for everyone involved, also. No one won that day.
Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

Contribution Points : 83488

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 5:57 am

I live in the Littleton area.. rarely a day goes by that something doesn't trigger a Columbine thought.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97867
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 10:51 am

Nah, I mostly think about it only when I'm on the forums.

Contrary to popular opinion, I have an active professional life and a real life outside NBK and my job ;)

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

Contribution Points : 83807
Forum Reputation : 135

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 8:43 pm

NBK is generally always at the back of my mind somewhere.

I find my own life boring and unsatisfying in almost everyway, so I spend my time focusing on other lives that are more interesting to me than my own (mainly through TV and criminal research).

The thing that frightens me most, is that someone will carry out a massacre and that I will be one of the victims to die. Not because I wish to live longer, but just to die as part of of someone else's story, someone else's life. I need to be in control of my own death.

paradisedreams

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 9:44 pm

eli27 wrote:
NBK is generally always at the back of my mind somewhere.

I find my own life boring and unsatisfying in almost everyway, so I spend my time focusing on other lives that are more interesting to me than my own (mainly through TV and criminal research).

The thing that frightens me most, is that someone will carry out a massacre and that I will be one of the victims to die. Not because I wish to live longer, but just to die as part of of someone else's story, someone else's life. I need to be in control of my own death.

I feel the same. None of those kids expected stories of their lives, pictures/baby pictures, grieving family, etc. To be shown all around the world because they were all tragically in the wrong place at the wrong time. I mean, who would? Especially then. Dylan and Eric were the only ones to control their destiny and hopeful 'fame' status. And it's that way with most mass shooters.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 97867
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 12:58 pm

paradisedreams wrote:
None of those kids expected stories of their lives, pictures/baby pictures, grieving family, etc. To be shown all around the world because they were all tragically in the wrong place at the wrong time. I mean, who would?

Well, I did myself wonder what it would be like if I was killed by a spree shooter, like an office rampage, a public bus or subway killer or something along these lines.

Heh, imagine the newspapers - "Author of a school shooting movie dies in killing spree!", "Rampage victim was active on columbine forums".

*Dramatic irony and amazing foreshadowing* - Eric would love it.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Contribution Points : 86882
Forum Reputation : 70

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 1:44 pm

It takes too much of my mind space, sometimes I wish I had never started.

Contribution Points : 81843

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Sabratha wrote:
paradisedreams wrote:
None of those kids expected stories of their lives, pictures/baby pictures, grieving family, etc. To be shown all around the world because they were all tragically in the wrong place at the wrong time. I mean, who would?

Well, I did myself wonder what it would be like if I was killed by a spree shooter, like an office rampage, a public bus or subway killer or something along these lines.

Heh, imagine the newspapers - "Author of a school shooting movie dies in killing spree!", "Rampage victim was active on columbine forums".

I've thought the same thing: how weird would it be if one of us was to die in a mass shooting.

They'd probably be checking to see if we were involved somehow.
Back to top Go down
paradisedreams

paradisedreams

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 4:43 am

aubre wrote:
Sabratha wrote:
paradisedreams wrote:

I've thought the same thing: how weird would it be if one of us was to die in a mass shooting.

They'd probably be checking to see if we were involved somehow.

This didn't even cross my mind. Yeah, that would be crazy. I'm sure we all would have the conspiracy theorists on our 'case' if that happened. Despite what we actually thought and felt about the incident. You're not here to defend yourself. That's one thing about Columbine, though.. Their internet access alone was scarce and limited. Now I bet anyone could find probably years worth of internet activity from us, easily.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 7:46 am

I was at a kmfdm concert, i swear to God I look about 7 people away from me and this kid look JUST like Dylan, except shorter and he was standing with a dude with the same kmfdm shirt eric had in the eric in columbine video
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Columbine: Always on your mind    Columbine: Always on your mind  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Columbine: Always on your mind
Page 1 of 1