Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Excavating the cranial vault

Go down 
+4
PaintItBlack
slippy123
Freezingmoon
LPorter101
8 posters
AuthorMessage
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 152262
Forum Reputation : 2754

Excavating the cranial vault Empty
PostSubject: Excavating the cranial vault   Excavating the cranial vault Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 8:31 pm

The fact that Eric blew his brains out - he put the gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger - must tell us something.

Dylan shot himself in the head, but there was enough left of it for the family to conduct an open-casket funeral. They were able to mask the gunshot wounds with Beanie Babies.

But even if Eric's family had wanted to give him a proper funeral, there's no way that they would have been able to look at him during the service. There weren't enough Beanie Babies in the world to make what was left of his head look even halfway decent.

Eric told us that he held himself in the highest regard: he was God and the rest of us were worthless nothings. But he chose to obliterate his brain, and the "magnificent mind" that it contained, so that there would be precious left of it for anyone to find.

Is that not an act of extreme self-hatred, of unyielding self-loathing?

Again: It's one thing to shoot yourself in the head. It's another to blow your brains out. Dylan did the former; Eric did the latter.

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 77995
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Excavating the cranial vault   Excavating the cranial vault Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 8:39 pm

I don't know.  I think that perhaps Eric just wanted to do things the "right way" if that makes sense.  If I decided to kill myself, it would be without a doubt the way that Eric did.  I would prefer instant death over possibly aspirating on my own blood and suffering.  I know that sounds morbid.....but I just think that if I ever got to that point I would prefer my death to be quick and over with rather than to lie on the ground suffering for who knows how long.

Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 152262
Forum Reputation : 2754

PostSubject: Re: Excavating the cranial vault   Excavating the cranial vault Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 8:41 pm

Freezingmoon wrote:
I don't know.  I think that perhaps Eric just wanted to do things the "right way" if that makes sense.  If I decided to kill myself, it would be without a doubt the way that Eric did.  I would prefer instant death over possibly aspirating on my own blood and suffering.  I know that sounds morbid.....but I just think that if I ever got to that point I would prefer my death to be quick and over with rather than to lie on the ground suffering for who knows how long.

That is a good point. He wanted to make sure that he would die instantly.

But, still, that's a grisly way to go.

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105913
Forum Reputation : 1235

PostSubject: Re: Excavating the cranial vault   Excavating the cranial vault Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 8:42 pm

One thing I wish I knew was what the final words they said to each other were. I wish Patrick Ireland was conscious to see and hear them. I also wonder if Dylan watch Eric kill himself and how soon after he pulled the trigger on himself. I know it wasn't long but seeing your best friends head being blown apart like a watermelon must stun you for a short amount of time.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 97066
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Excavating the cranial vault   Excavating the cranial vault Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 8:49 pm

I think Eric killed himself the way he did for a practical reason; he wanted to be sure he'd finish the job.
But I also agree that there were psychological reasons behind it.
The despair and hopeless you have to feel to take your own life is overwhelming. And even though it makes no sense, some people care enough about their selves and their image to make sure they leave behind a "pretty corpse."

No matter what one thinks of Eric, the raw fact is to kill yourself the way he did takes real guts.
And people will never acknowledge this. Instead he along with Dylan is always called a coward.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
FlyerFan

FlyerFan

Contribution Points : 77372
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Excavating the cranial vault   Excavating the cranial vault Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 8:15 am

I agree, he wanted to make sure he would die instantly without any suffering, or without the possibility of him being saved and prosecuted.
Back to top Go down
lasttrain

Contribution Points : 102688
Forum Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: Excavating the cranial vault   Excavating the cranial vault Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 11:30 pm

I read it as the ultimate alpha male power move. Go extreme. That's how he did everything.
Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

Contribution Points : 83763
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Excavating the cranial vault   Excavating the cranial vault Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 1:37 am

LPorter101 wrote:
The fact that Eric blew his brains out - he put the gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger - must tell us something.

Dylan shot himself in the head, but there was enough left of it for the family to conduct an open-casket funeral. They were able to mask the gunshot wounds with Beanie Babies.

But even if Eric's family had wanted to give him a proper funeral, there's no way that they would have been able to look at him during the service. There weren't enough Beanie Babies in the world to make what was left of his head look even halfway decent.

Eric told us that he held himself in the highest regard: he was God and the rest of us were worthless nothings. But he chose to obliterate his brain, and the "magnificent mind" that it contained, so that there would be precious left of it for anyone to find.

Is that not an act of extreme self-hatred, of unyielding self-loathing?

Again: It's one thing to shoot yourself in the head. It's another to blow your brains out. Dylan did the former; Eric did the latter.

Perhaps Eric killed Dylan first?

I kid.. I kid:)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Excavating the cranial vault   Excavating the cranial vault Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 8:22 am

Beanie babies?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 119283
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Excavating the cranial vault   Excavating the cranial vault Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 9:57 am

x5000x wrote:
Beanie babies?
At Dylan's funeral, his parents put a bunch of beanie babies around his head to try and cover up the gunshot wound to his temple.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Excavating the cranial vault   Excavating the cranial vault Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 10:47 am

I think it was (like mentioned) to do things the right way. So there was minimal chance for failure and having to live with the consequences and injury of what he'd done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excavating the cranial vault   Excavating the cranial vault Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Excavating the cranial vault
Page 1 of 1