Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?

Go down 
+4
Draw_It_White
lasttrain
Lizpuff
anonacc489
8 posters
AuthorMessage
anonacc489

Contribution Points : 74666
Forum Reputation : 0

Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Empty
PostSubject: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 12:46 am

In the library there are some accounts by survivors that Eric and Dylan mentioned the bombs blowing the entire school up, and it got me thinking that maybe they went into the library to pass some time while they waited(or hoped)for their bombs to explode, and when they got bored they went to check on them personally.

Problem with this theory is that while waiting it probably would have blown them up if they were in the library at the time, but they probably didn't care.

Eric supposedly spared Bree, saying "Nah, we're gonna blow up the school" when Dylan told him to shoot her.

With that in mind, either Eric thought/hoped the bombs would explode, or he spared her. Or, maybe he knew the bombs failed completely and was just going to try shooting at them to blow them up, which is what he did. Either way the sparing of Bree to "blow the school up" made me ask these questions.

What are your thoughts on this?

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 96299
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 9:34 am

I think when they were first in the library they planned to still blow the bombs. I think that when they went back to the cafeteria to check the bombs they fully expected to be able to get them to blow. They then realized that wasn't going to happen and took off.

lasttrain

Contribution Points : 102313
Forum Reputation : 74

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 9:17 pm

There are four kinds of references to blowing up the bombs in the 11k.

The first is Eric or Dylan saying this when they first walk into the library (26, 62). Most say this is right after they said "Get up!" John Savage, who is the best witness to Dylan of this, says he heard Dylan say it (567). That is pretty definitive to me.

The second is in the middle of the shooting, like Ruegsegger apparently saying she heard it after she was shot (126). Schnurr places them saying it at the northwest tables and Lapp seems to as well (136, 480). Peter Ball hears them saying it to John Savage (276). Parker (510) has them saying it to John Savage by way of warning him away. Patti Nielsen hears Eric say it after Dylan looks at her and so does Heather Jacobson (299, 429). Someone else seems to corroborate this (408).

Pasquale says he said it to her (531) as part of a general promise to kill everyone and a way of explaining to Dylan why he wasn't going to shoot her.

Interestingly one witness hears them say "You all better get up and leave, we're going to blow up the library" (619) and law enforcement challenges him on whether he actually heard this.

The third is one of them saying it as they are leaving the library. Kirkland (460) says he heard them say it right before they left. Amanda heard it right before they left (594).

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
lasttrain

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 10:19 pm

It is interesting to me, from all those quotations, that Eric apparently used the bomb as an excuse not to shoot someone.

You have to wonder whether he really did somehow want to blow her up instead or if he was using it as an excuse for some other reason.

anna444 and heytdm like this post

Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 98143
Forum Reputation : 154

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2016 5:58 pm

It must have been terrible being told you were going to be spared temporarily, and waiting to be blown up after just avoiding being killed with a gun.
Back to top Go down
Squid

Contribution Points : 74596

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2016 6:45 pm

Does anyone know how much ammo they had on them after they committed suicide? I was wondering if they were running low on ammo...
Back to top Go down
lasttrain

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 11:19 am

Squid wrote:
Does anyone know how much ammo they had on them after they committed suicide? I was wondering if they were running low on ammo...

Eric had two clips, one with 10 rounds of 9mm bullets and the other with 8. He had 14 shotgun shells. Dylan had three 9mm rounds left and 14 shotgun shells.

You cannot fight off a SWAT team with shotgun shells because they take time to reload, so they were basically out.

Throughout the massacre Dylan discarded more ammunition than he fired. Dylan left 34 rounds in his car in the parking lot. He left a 50-round magazine outside with 40 rounds in it. He dropped another 7 shotgun shells near the entrance to the library.

That's 83 bullets discarded to the 67 he fired. Makes you question the idea that he was gung-ho about this.
Back to top Go down
Squid

Contribution Points : 74596

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 11:32 am

"Dylan left 34 rounds in his car in the parking lot." - Well they were planning on shooting people from the parking lot. Prob forgot about it.
"He left a 50-round magazine outside with 40 rounds in it." - prob dropped it he seems like the clumsy type with his gangly limbs. Or could it have jammed? I don't know much about guns maybe he loaded it wrong since he had to do it with his less dominant hand.
"He dropped another 7 shotgun shells near the entrance to the library." - hehe I can see him being nervous but excited too while reloading.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
TaylorsMom

TaylorsMom

Contribution Points : 78167
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 9:22 pm

Wondering what all your opinions are on this thought....was Eric's exchange of gunfire with the sheriff his attempt to end his part of the attack? Maybe he was trying to get hit by a bullet because his plan that he worked so diligently on for quite sometime, went wrong and they switched their mindset of "okay....I guess we have to kill each one now". Maybe Eric didn't want to, maybe he changed his mind or only wanted to see the school blow-up? I know, crazy way of thinking but I try to think outside the box sometimes!
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 8:52 am

TaylorsMom wrote:
Wondering what all your opinions are on this thought....was Eric's exchange of gunfire with the sheriff his attempt to end his part of the attack?  Maybe he was trying to get hit by a bullet because his plan that he worked so diligently on for quite sometime, went wrong and they switched their mindset of "okay....I guess we have to kill each one now". Maybe Eric didn't want to, maybe he changed his mind or only wanted to see the school blow-up?  I know, crazy way of thinking but I try to think outside the box sometimes!

Do you mean when he was shooting out of the library windows just prior to the suicide? I think Eric did dream of suicide by cop and I think that he really didn't want to have to shoot himself. The cops didn't storm the school though so he pretty much had no options at that point other than to be taken into custody, kill himself or have Dylan kill him. I think that is why the suicide happened so quickly. He didn't want to think about it. He just sat down and did it. Dylan took time to light one more bomb and take off his jewelry.
Back to top Go down
Freezingmoon

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 77620

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 9:40 am

TaylorsMom wrote:
Wondering what all your opinions are on this thought....was Eric's exchange of gunfire with the sheriff his attempt to end his part of the attack?  Maybe he was trying to get hit by a bullet because his plan that he worked so diligently on for quite sometime, went wrong and they switched their mindset of "okay....I guess we have to kill each one now". Maybe Eric didn't want to, maybe he changed his mind or only wanted to see the school blow-up?  I know, crazy way of thinking but I try to think outside the box sometimes!

I've wondered about this too.  Considering how Eric wrote about not caring if he died while having a shoot out with the cops, I don't understand why he didn't just walk right up to the window or walk outside and have a "real" shoot out.  (Not that I would have wanted him to harm more people....I'm just saying I don't understand why he didn't do what he really wanted to do) But yeah.....I think it was sort of an attempt to get hit by a cop's bullet.....then  he decided he'd rather just do it his way.  I wonder who decided it was time for them to kill themselves.....Eric or Dylan?

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
lasttrain

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 10:30 am

A shootout with the cops was one of his fantasies and I think he went back to the library because he knew it would be the best place to live that. I think he was trying to enact the final part of the plan, so to speak.
Back to top Go down
TaylorsMom

TaylorsMom

Contribution Points : 78167
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 11:18 am

Was the gunfire between Eric outside the west entrance door and Neil Gardener for real or rumor? I was speaking of that incident but you all bring up an excellent point about the library window shootings too!
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 11:28 am

TaylorsMom wrote:
Was the gunfire between Eric outside the west entrance door and Neil Gardener for real or rumor?  I was speaking of that incident but you all bring up an excellent point about the library window shootings too!

That was real. And Gardener really did think he hit Eric at the time.

heytdm likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118908
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 2:57 pm

Freezingmoon wrote:
TaylorsMom wrote:

I've wondered about this too.  Considering how Eric wrote about not caring if he died while having a shoot out with the cops, I don't understand why he didn't just walk right up to the window or walk outside and have a "real" shoot out.  (Not that I would have wanted him to harm more people....I'm just saying I don't understand why he didn't do what he really wanted to do) But yeah.....I think it was sort of an attempt to get hit by a cop's bullet.....then  he decided he'd rather just do it his way.  I wonder who decided it was time for them to kill themselves.....Eric or Dylan?
A shoot out with the cops would not guarantee their deaths. They did not plan on coming out of this alive and if it were the cops that would have taken them down, they could have shot them in places that wouldn't have killed them, such as their arms, legs, shoulders. And if they shot them and they were still alive, well then they have to have an ambulance come and treat them just like they would for anyone else. They couldn't just shoot them and let them die. And with a shooting like this, they'd rather have the shooter/shooters come out of it alive because then they can question them to try and get answers out of them.

And with Neil Gardner, he did think he had shot Eric but he was not wearing his eye glasses so he couldn't see that well. Why a cop would go to work without wearing his eye glasses or contact lenses is beyond me.

anna444 and heytdm like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 5:41 pm

lasttrain wrote:
A shootout with the cops was one of his fantasies and I think he went back to the library because he knew it would be the best place to live that.  I think he was trying to enact the final part of the plan, so to speak.
"Poor Dylan" formulated the plans so perhaps it was his sick fantasy? He did say "we're going to get revenge for the January incident" after all.
Back to top Go down
lasttrain

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 1:59 pm

Ivan wrote:
lasttrain wrote:
A shootout with the cops was one of his fantasies and I think he went back to the library because he knew it would be the best place to live that.  I think he was trying to enact the final part of the plan, so to speak.
"Poor Dylan" formulated the plans so perhaps it was his sick fantasy? He did say "we're going to get revenge for the January incident" after all.

I was referring to Eric's statements that he "could get shot by a cop after only killing a single person" and that he would be "one tired mother-fucker come Monday, then BOOM! I'll get shot and die."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 5:15 pm

No; I think ultimately, Mr.Klebold didn't care about the bombs and Mr. Harris wished for the (cafeteria) bombs to go off to fulfill a fantasy but self-sabotaged them by putting little effort into them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?   Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did Eric and Dylan still think the bombs would be going off?
Page 1 of 1