Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fly CD...

Go down 
+6
Belladonna
Draw_It_White
astrospace92
ThoughtBox
cyn1231
Jbow89
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Jbow89

Contribution Points : 75110
Forum Reputation : 0

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 6:40 pm

In the basement tapes Eric gives his "Fly" CD to one of his friends. I'm a huge music person and tried looking the band up so I could give them a listen. All I could find is one CD called Bombthreat by Fly and there is no info about the band itself...

Does anyone know anything more? I mean the band I found seems grunge/indie and for some reason I can't picture Eric listening to them.. Or how he even discovered them..

Or when he says "that fly CD" is that slang? I know in the 90s people would use fly to describe something cool... "That shirt is so fly" or "I got some fly sneakers" so maybe he's talking about a mixed CD he made?
Back to top Go down
cyn1231

cyn1231

Contribution Points : 74057
Forum Reputation : 10

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 6:47 pm

I feel like he was speaking in slang like fly as in cool
Back to top Go down
cyn1231

cyn1231

Contribution Points : 74057

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 6:48 pm

The last date he had with Susan DeWitt they apparently listened to some soft music and that was what he was referring to
Back to top Go down
Jbow89

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 7:47 pm

This is the band I was referring to..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But I think you guys are right about it being a mixed CD and he was just referring to it as fly as in cool...
Back to top Go down
ThoughtBox

ThoughtBox

Contribution Points : 84046
Forum Reputation : 13

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 7:53 pm

cyn1231 wrote:
I feel like he was speaking in slang like fly as in cool

Exactly.

“Despair is the price one pays for self-awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.” -- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Back to top Go down
astrospace92

astrospace92

Contribution Points : 74253

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 11:37 am

unless we hear the audio from the basement tapes we won't know what tone he said it in to indicate wether he meant cool or a band name.

I wonder if she took the CD...
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 98143
Forum Reputation : 154

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 12:03 pm

At the risk of sounding stereotypical (I don't mean any malice here) wasn't 'fly' a word that was mainly used by black people? - We didn't use it over here and the only time I ever heard it was in Fresh Prince of Bel Air and in the Offspring song 'Pretty Fly for a White Guy' (whom I know are white but the character in the video appeared to be trying to be black).
Back to top Go down
ThoughtBox

ThoughtBox

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Radioactive_Clothing wrote:
At the risk of sounding stereotypical (I don't mean any malice here) wasn't 'fly' a word that was mainly used by black people? - We didn't use it over here and the only time I ever heard it was in Fresh Prince of Bel Air and in the Offspring song 'Pretty Fly for a White Guy' (whom I know are white but the character in the video appeared to be trying to be black).

Not really. I would say it was pretty common in teen vernacular in the late 1990s.

“Despair is the price one pays for self-awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.” -- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 98143
Forum Reputation : 154

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 2:04 pm

ThoughtBox wrote:

Not really. I would say it was pretty common in teen vernacular in the late 1990s.

Fair enough, I stand corrected.
Back to top Go down
ThoughtBox

ThoughtBox

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 2:10 pm

ThoughtBox wrote:

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

... in the United States, I should have added at the end of my comment. Since I was about the same age as E/D then, or close enough, I can't comment on the usage of the word outside of the U.S.

Back to top Go down
Jbow89

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 2:35 pm

I was 10 in 1999 and I remember fly being common and I grew up in a very white neighborhood

I found a thread on here that lists all music Eric/Dylan mention and the OP lists the same CD I did but they might have made the same mistake I did with assuming that's what Eric meant. I guess well never know unless we hear the basement tapes or if that girl speaks out and mentions which CD he was referring to.

Blah, sometimes I hate getting stuff stuck in my head that I'll never get answers to
Back to top Go down
astrospace92

astrospace92

Contribution Points : 74253

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 2:38 pm

Jbow89 wrote:
I was 10 in 1999 and I remember fly being common and I grew up in a very white neighborhood

I found a thread on here that lists all music Eric/Dylan mention and the OP lists the same CD I did but they might have made the same mistake I did with assuming that's what Eric meant. I guess well never know unless we hear the basement tapes or if that girl speaks out and mentions which CD he was referring to.

Blah, sometimes I hate getting stuff stuck in my head that I'll never get answers to

To me it just doesn't sound like it would make sense for him to say "You can have my fly CD" in the context of the recording... I don't know maybe it's the cheesy voice I'm imagining in "you can have my flahyyy CD Cool

Back to top Go down
Belladonna

Contribution Points : 74589

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 8:56 pm

...So do we think she actually got the CD?!

Last edited by Belladonna on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
deathmedic

Contribution Points : 101999

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 9:16 pm

I remember fly being a common word to use instead of cool in that time.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 151268
Forum Reputation : 2754

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2016 1:13 am

Belladonna wrote:
...So do we think she actually got the CD?!

We do not.

But, if she did get it, and if she still has it ... she could sell it for *a lot* of money.

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2016 1:38 pm

There was a girl on tumblr that said she was her and that she did get the CD but I don't know if it was ever verified...
Back to top Go down
Gonz

Gonz

Contribution Points : 85115
Forum Reputation : 50

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2016 2:48 pm

TIME wrote:
It's easy now to see the signs: how a video-game joystick turned Harris into a better marksman, like a golfer who watches Tiger Woods videos; how he decided to stop taking his Luvox, to let his anger flare, undiluted by medication. How Klebold's violent essays for English class were like skywriting his intent. If only the parents had looked in the middle drawer of Harris' desk, they would have found the four windup clocks that he later used as timing devices. Check the duffel bag in the closet; the pipe bombs are inside. In his CD collection, they would have found a recording that meant so much to him that he willed it to a girl in his last videotaped suicide message. The name of the album? Bombthreat Before She Blows.

This article is the only source that mentions the CD title, and since the writers were allowed to hang around in the Jeffco offices I guess they got to see Eric's CDs, since in the lists of seized material they are just listed as "CD" without saying the album name nor the artist…
Back to top Go down
slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105538
Forum Reputation : 1235

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2016 3:53 pm

The flys were an awesome band. "Got you where I want you" is an awesome song that brings me back to the 90s.

Back to top Go down
Jbow89

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 2:08 am

Got you where I want is a great song but The Flys are different than Fly... Fly I can't find too much information on
Back to top Go down
Gonz

Gonz

Contribution Points : 85115
Forum Reputation : 50

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 4:36 am

Jbow89 wrote:
Got you where I want is a great song but The Flys are different than Fly... Fly I can't find too much information on

They were only together for 3 years and released just one album, so that's why there is so few info on them.

F L Y
Formed: 1994 (1994 - 1997)
Scott Marcus - drums
Johnny Strong - vocals / guitar
Chris Jacks - guitar
Lev Paramonov - bass
Todd Moffett - keyboards
——————————————————————
Discography:
Fly (1997) Bombthreat: Before She Blows

The singer, Johnny Strong, starred in the first Fast and Furious film: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
slippy123

slippy123

Contribution Points : 105538
Forum Reputation : 1235

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 10:42 am

Gonz wrote:
Jbow89 wrote:

They were only together for 3 years and released just one album, so that's why there is so few info on them.

F L Y
Formed: 1994 (1994 - 1997)
Scott Marcus - drums
Johnny Strong - vocals / guitar
Chris Jacks - guitar
Lev Paramonov - bass
Todd Moffett - keyboards
——————————————————————
Discography:
Fly (1997) Bombthreat: Before She Blows

The singer, Johnny Strong, starred in the first Fast and Furious film: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yup, this is definitely the CD he was going to give Susan. Here is the title track Before She Blows: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Apparently it's the last song on the CD, so there is some blank space then a hidden track "Paper Airplanes" comes on.

Everyone seems to think that it was misinterpreted and Eric was talking about The Flys, the band I mentioned.
Check out the comments in the youtube link I posted. They're saying only one reporter actually said "FLY CD",
and the rest just copied his transcript, and the fact it's called Bombthreat before she blows, fits perfect with the Columbine theme...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fly CD... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fly CD...   Fly CD... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fly CD...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: