Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

What is your experience with anti-depressants?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
anonacc489

PostSubject: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:04 am

I think it's about time I start considering anti-depressants and/or some type of medication to help me combat whatever the fuck it is that's wrong with me, be it bipolar disorder or major depressive disorder, but I'm really afraid of bringing medication into the disorder because of all the horrible stories I've heard about the common ones(Prozac, Xanax, etc)

That, and I grew up with a pill popping abusive jerkass of a dad, and I saw the pills messing with him in horrible ways.

Does anyone here have any experience with this type of stuff who can give me some advice?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:05 am

I have panic disorder, anxiety, agoraphobia and major depression. I was prescribed Zoloft and I was on it for 5 years. I started out taking 25 mg once a day and then it was upped to 50 mg once a day and that was the dosage I stayed on for the 5 years I was on it.

I had zero side effects from the medication and when I stopped taking it, I didn't have any sort of withdrawal from it. It began working for my panic attacks within the first week of using it. It moderately helped with my depression. I wasn't suicidal the entire time I was on it.

However, after 5 years it completely bottomed out and threw me into the worst depression I had ever had in my life. I became extremely depressed, my agoraphobia was at the worst it had ever been (since before starting the Zoloft) and I was suicidal and attempted suicide twice. In a last ditch effort, my dosage was upped again to 100 mg once a day and after a month of that not working, I stopped taking it completely.

After about 4 months my suicidal thoughts and depression lifted a little bit but I still have all the problems I had before I started taking the medication and I have not taken any other anti-depressants since then. I've thought about going back on them because it's been 4 years since I came off the Zoloft and I think that even if they could help my mental disorders for a few years like the last time, it would be worth it.

Wideawake

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:32 pm

I started Prozac back in December. This is my first experience taking medications for mental health issues. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder. I am not/have not been truly suicidal, but have lost all interest in everything and was doing nothing but eating and sleeping. The other thing was that I was having outbursts of anger in which I was becoming hysterical and couldn't calm down.

I've had to adjust my dosage several times. My doc started me on the lowest dose, 10 mg, which helped some with my moods and the angry outbursts but not much else. Then she upped me to 20, which made me completely unable to sleep and induced a lot of anxiety. Now I'm on 15 and have been for just over a month, and it seems to be working well for me.

I think the main thing is to find a doctor, if you don't have a good one, who is willing to listen to you and take your concerns into consideration.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
meowitscow

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:36 am

When I was 15 years old my friend died and I had some issues. They prescribed me an antidepressant (Fevarin) and 2 other types of pills ( Helex and Sanval ). After some time I noticed I'm not depressed anymore. But I wasn't happy either. All the time I was feeling tired and not in the mood for anything. They made me numb. After some time I stopped using all those pills. And I never will again.
I still have some anxitey and self esteem issues, but I'm trying to get over that by myself, my boyfriend,friends,dog ...

Sorry if I made some grammar mistakes ,English is not my native languae.
I hope you'll get better. Smile

Freezingmoon

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:50 pm

It's important for you to be straight forward about your symptoms.  Keep a journal and write how your mood is daily.  There's a huge difference between Major depressive disorder and bipolar disorder.  Bipolar people often get mis-diagnosed as having major depressive disorder because they don't seek help until they actually get depressed and they don't recognize their mania, because not every biopolar person has major manic episodes.  Sometimes they have hypomania, which may not seem out of the ordinary to them.

Personally I have tried just about every SSRI available and I hated all of them.  They made me dead inside....they made me not care.  They caused sexual dysfunction and weight gain too.  

If I had to choose an antidepressant it would be wellbutrin (buproprion).  It's the only thing that ever took my depression away.  Sadly it increases my anxiety though.  One good side effect is that it helped me lose weight.  I lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks.  It suppressed my appetite and obviously made me more energetic, so I found I was going out and doing more rather than sitting on the couch eating and watching netflix Laughing

When the dosage was too high I couldn't sleep at night, so my doctor lowered the dosage. Also, I found that there was a huge difference between the extended release capsules and the sustained release tablets.  The first thing my doctor prescribed was the 300 mg extended release capsules to be taken once daily.  I hated it because soon after taking them I felt like I was disconnected from my body and everything was moving in slow motion.  With the sustained release tablets I had no issues with this.  I took 150 mg in the morning and 100 mg in the evening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anonacc489

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:44 am

I'm hearing alot of great things about Wellbutrin, and Prozac, so I think I'll try Wellbutrin. I THINK I MIGHT have bipolar disorder though. I've been noticing fluctuations in my mood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:14 am

I tried a couple of anti depressants for PPD in 2014-2015. I didn't like them. I felt like a zombie on them. I got off of them against dr orders and the PPD has sort of gone away. I still get pangs of depression from time to time but I am not sure I want to try medication again.

View user profile Online
Vii

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:31 pm

-

Last edited by Vii on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spac3case

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:28 am

After a few years of looking at me and being honest with someone else I was successfully diagnosed with depression.
Wellbutrin, and the Flouxotine have helped. Wellbutrin would have been fine but i wouldnt stop drinking on them and I would get "small" seizures.
It worked for me.
If i were to JUST take the pills and not work on myself I dont think it would have worked the way it had.
For me i needed the pills and outside help.
I feel good stable right now. Ups and downs fersure but i havent hurt myself in about a year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
explicit
Permanently Banned

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:40 am

I came off Prozac only a few weeks ago, because it did virtually nothing for me. At low doses (10 or 20mg) it had no effect - almost like I wasn't even taking it. At any dose higher than 20mg, I would get horrific nightmares that would wake me up repeatedly. So it was decided that I'd come off that. I've been given the option of Zoloft, but I decided to give it a month or so off medication to see whether or not I see a change in my mood. I'm more or less exactly the same as I was on the meds, so I'm considering trying Zoloft now. What would people recommend? I don't want to waste time trying something that's no different to Prozac.

I've been diagnosed with major depression, yet there's a part of me that worries that I might actually have bipolar. I've had both manic and depressive episodes since I was young, and it's only gotten worse as I've gotten older. There are points of the day where suicide, homicide and death are running through my head, and I feel absolutely miserable whilst also feeling a distinct numbness. And minutes later, I'll feel crazy, with my thoughts uncontrollable, but not violent. I'll do impulsive things like sending suicide notes to everyone even though I know I'm not going to attempt, (I had a previous attempt where I ended up in hospital, and as a result I've been too scared to try again) and then I'll act completely normal once the symptoms fade. But no doctor or mental health professional has ever brought up the possibility of bipolar disorder with me, despite describing my symptoms. I'm no doctor, so I try to dismiss my fears as hypochondria, but there are times when I wonder if they've gotten the diagnosis all wrong.

I'll end my rambling and just say that so far, antidepressants haven't helped me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amarantha

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:55 pm

I've never took them, though my mind races constantly and I've experienced a lot of mood shifts in the past years. I actually want to see how far I can push myself without any medication involved... Nothing will help you if you don't figure out how to exit the maze by yourself
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Symbol

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:39 am

I tried taking Luvox about 4 years ago and was on it a short time. It gave me pretty heavy Depersonalization. I felt so strange.

I also tried Celexa/Citalopram and it gave me really bad heart arrhythmia and a constant anxiety.

Right now, I'm not on any meds but would try out Zoloft or Prozac next.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:27 am

Symbol wrote:
I tried taking Luvox about 4 years ago and was on it a short time. It gave me pretty heavy Depersonalization. I felt so strange.

I also tried Celexa/Citalopram and it gave me really bad heart arrhythmia and a constant anxiety.

Right now, I'm not on any meds but would try out Zoloft or Prozac next.
I did Zoloft for 5 years. It didn't give me any nasty side effects and it worked pretty well for panic attacks/anxiety. It helped mildly for depression. The worst part of it was that it did bottom out after 5 years and I ended up having the worst depression of my life. So that is just something to look out for if you do try taking it.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:19 am

Are some of you still positive that Eric had been misprescribed?

Wideawake

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:40 am

I'd like to add, for anyone who may be on or considering going on anti-depressants:

My doctor requires any person that she prescribes anti-depressants for to go to counseling, at least to try it. My work offers a program where we can see a licensed counselor or psychologist 3 times free of charge. I was skeptical at first, but I found that just those 3 sessions helped me make a lot of progress when done in conjunction with my medication. Honestly, the therapist didn't really say anything but just talking about my feelings led me to a lot of conclusions that I probably would not have come to on my own.

I have now been on prozac 10 mg a day for almost a year and while I still have "down days", I really am much happier and my quality of life has improved greatly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:04 pm

Can anyone tell me if it's dangerous to take St. John's Wort? Any gradual side effects or anything like that, does it effect other parts of your health etc

Scarletmoon

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:25 pm

I was on Zoloft for small period of time when I was in my 20s and this shit actually desensitized me to violence! I'm the type of person who can not watch a horror movie or sometimes even hear about things that are gory, violent (yet somehow I could look at Eric & Dylans suicide pic all day...weird eh?) like a bad car accident for example. Fast forward a month of me on Zoloft and not only did I think of violent things but I also had no problem with violence or gore anymore which scared the shit out of me. When I realized how my mind was changing, I stopped taking it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Well since I posted on here, I am back on meds. This time Effexor. It has stopped the suicidal thoughts for now. We will see if life continues to be normal.

View user profile Online
Scarletmoon

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
Well since I posted on here,  I am back on meds.  This time Effexor.  It has stopped the suicidal thoughts for now. We will see if life continues to be normal.

I was hospitalized for a week last year in April for suicidal tendencies, in the hospital they took away my xanax (that was prescribed) and they put me on Effexor, topamax and cymbalta. The mix of these meds made me feel like I was walking through a cloud all the time and I was actually more depressed but hid it so I could get the f*ck out of there. I wish you the very best, I hope it works better for you than it did for me. I stopped taking it soon after.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:20 pm

Scarletmoon wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:
Well since I posted on here,  I am back on meds.  This time Effexor.  It has stopped the suicidal thoughts for now. We will see if life continues to be normal.

I was hospitalized for a week last year in April for suicidal tendencies, in the hospital they took away my xanax (that was prescribed) and they put me on Effexor, topamax and cymbalta. The mix of these meds made me feel like I was walking through a cloud all the time and I was actually more depressed but hid it so I could get the f*ck out of there. I wish you the very best, I hope it works better for you than it did for me. I stopped taking it soon after.  

Oh boy....well so far I am only on the one medication. Getting off of it scares the crap out of me. But after my breakdown I was ready to try anything. For me this has stopped my manic thoughts and that is what I needed. Thank you for your wishes. I do not wish depression on anyone. I sincerely wish the best for you as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
bradt93
Permanently Banned

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:23 pm

I'm on prozac and lamictal, they really help me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scarletmoon

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:26 pm

bradt93 wrote:
I'm on prozac and lamictal, they really help me.

What are you diagnosed with? My son is on Prozac and hes doing very well on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:43 pm

Is it a good idea for myself to start taking mood stabilisers?

Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: What is your experience with anti-depressants?   Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:50 pm

shades wrote:
Is it a good idea for myself to start taking mood stabilisers?

Only you know for sure. If you have a dr go see them and spend time on the pros and cons. And know that there is not just 1 med to cure it all. You may need them but get the wrong RX.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

What is your experience with anti-depressants?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1